-Avenue X

-Emmons Avenue

(5)- IRT Flatbush Avenue  Line

-Avenue K

-Kings Highway

-Avenue S

-Avenue U/ Kings Plaza

-Floyd Bennett Field

(Provision to Expand to Howard Beach/Breezy Point)

The trains would splint off on to their separate lines following Flatbush Avenue/Brooklyn College and continue to their respected terminals. The Flatbush Avenue Line would continue underground, while the Nostrand Avenue Line would remain underground till Avenue W, when it will become an elevated line, with 4 storage tracks at Emmons Avenue.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are my special proposals:

With the (M) being rerouted over 6th Av and ending the Brooklyn service, I thought these ideas were good:

During weekdays from 6:00 AM to 11:00 AM, and from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM the following service will be in effect:

Some Skip-Stop (J) trains will be extended to Bay Parkway every 20 minutes, and when they terminate and go back uptown they run via West End Express to not interfere with the (D).

During Weekends, some (J) trains will be extended to Bay Ridge - 95 St via the (R) line, or terminate at 36 St.

Now to deal with the (R):

Some (R) trains run to Bowery via the (J) with tracks being reinstalled at the unused platform at Bowery to accommodate the (R) service so the (J) dosen't interfere with the (R) and vice versa. This gives people a one seat ride from Brooklyn to Brooklyn (that's ironic) and vice versa.

These are my special proposals:

With the (M) being rerouted over 6th Av and ending the Brooklyn service, I thought these ideas were good:

During weekdays from 6:00 AM to 11:00 AM, and from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM the following service will be in effect:

Some Skip-Stop (J) trains will be extended to Bay Parkway every 20 minutes, and when they terminate and go back uptown they run via West End Express to not interfere with the (D).

During Weekends, some (J) trains will be extended to Bay Ridge - 95 St via the (R) line, or terminate at 36 St.

Now to deal with the (R):

Some (R) trains run to Bowery via the (J) with tracks being reinstalled at the unused platform at Bowery to accommodate the (R) service so the (J) dosen't interfere with the (R) and vice versa. This gives people a one seat ride from Brooklyn to Brooklyn (that's ironic) and vice versa.

I've been advocating the (J) to 95th for YEARS...

Other than that the other ideas aren't practical IMO.

I've got some old news for you: 9 Avenue is a chokepoint, and (J) trains will interfere with (D) trains.

The 4th Avenue situation could be handled like this as noted before:

The (Z) becomes a full-time route of its own, running 24/7.

Rush hours (5:30-10:00 AM and 3:00-8:30 PM): Runs 95th Street on the (R) to Broadway Junction on the (J).  This is a peak-direction express to/from Broadway Junction while the (J) is fully local at all times.

Middays and Evenings: Runs 95th Street-Essex Street and terminates there.

Late Nights and Weekends: Runs 95th Street-Metropolitan Avenue on the (M).  This eliminates BOTH the (R) and (M) late night shuttles AND eliminates the weekend (M) to Essex or Chambers since this would cover that.

Its like you guys are still forgetting the fact that the Nassau connection to the Montague tubes are sill out of service.

The (J) to 95 St is a terrible idea. It was done after 9/11 and it made the (J) actually longer than the (R) itself. Now if the (R) suffers from delays because its too long, imagine what the (J) its gonna go through.

I've got some old news for you: 9 Avenue is a chokepoint, and (J) trains will interfere with (D) trains.

Agree that the (J) shouldn't run on the (D) line. Like you said, the (J) will conflict with the (D) and the ridership on the West End Line isn't there for two services. And no one will ride a service than runs on 20-minutes headways during the day.

Its like you guys are still forgetting the fact that the Nassau connection to the Montague tubes are sill out of service.

The (J) to 95 St is a terrible idea. It was done after 9/11 and it made the (J) actually longer than the (R) itself. Now if the (R) suffers from delays because its too long, imagine what the (J) its gonna go through.

Those tracks are still OOS? When they are gonna go back in service?

And your right it would make the (J) longer but hey, the bigger the better.

Not true. Longer lines are very susceptible to delays, because there are more places along the line for something to go wrong. So running the (R) from Jamaica Center to Bay Ridge is a terrible idea. But I think a (J) service running from Broadway Junction to Bay Ridge would not be a terrible idea. That would be a much shorter route with not much conflict from other lines. The (R) line stops south of 36th St generally have higher ridership than those north of 36th. So a rush hour (J) to/from Bay Ridge might have better ridership than the old M to/from Bay Parkway did. 86th St/4th Ave in particular has very high ridership, probably a lot of it coming from the Staten Island buses that connect there.

But right now, there aren't enough cars for it and the Nassau-Montague connecting tracks are out of service. I'm surprised that the connection between the Montague Tunnel and the Nassau St line is still out of service and needs repairs. That connection is part of the tunnels and they did have a whole 14 months to work on it. I guess this means the Eastern Division's sole connection to the rest of the system is now the Chrystie St tracks.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Agree that the (J) shouldn't run on the (D) line. Like you said, the (J) will conflict with the (D) and the ridership on the West End Line isn't there for two services. But right now, there aren't enough cars for it and the Nassau-Montague connecting tracks are out of service. I'm surprised that the connection between the Montague Tunnel and the Nassau St line is still out of service and needs repairs. That connection is part of the tunnels and they did have a whole 14 months to work on it. I guess this means the Eastern Division's sole connection to the rest of the system is now the Chrystie St tracks.

I mean, it's not used in revenue service, and even when it was it wasn't particularly well-patronized. It's probably the lowest-priority Sandy repair work out there.

I'm guessing that portion of the Montauge tube is a low priority right now compared to Cranberry and Rutgers.  That I suspect would change if there is a push for another local on 4th Avenue at all times since a full-time (Z) like I propose could handle that.  Otherwise, I suspect they would get to that after the finish up tunnels that are of a greater priority right now.

Agree on the (J) to 95th Street.  My idea would be more of a modified version of the old "Brown (R) " that would run 24/7 to and from Essex Street, but be extended most likely on weekdays (5:30 AM-7:30 PM or so) to Broadway Junction and late nights (11:00 PM-5:00 AM) and weekends (all times) to Metropolitan Avenue as doing that eliminates both the late night (R) shuttle AND both the late night and weekend (M) since this new (Z) would absorb both.

You can't turn trains around at Essex during the day as all 3 tracks are used. Center track is used by the (J) to Queens, and the track on the other side of the island is used by (M) trains to Queens

Then this (Z) would be to Broadway Junction weekdays (5:30 AM-11:00 PM) and Metropolitan Avenue late nights and weekends if Essex can't be used to turn.  The (Z) can be the peak-direction express between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue while the (J) is a full-time local.

Main purposes of this (Z) would be to give 4th Avenue a second local to help the (R) while by running 24/7 eliminate the need for the (R) shuttle late nights and the (M) shuttle (by going to Metropolitan) late nights and weekends.  

You can't turn trains around at Essex during the day as all 3 tracks are used. Center track is used by the (J) to Queens, and the track on the other side of the island is used by (M) trains to Queens

Actually, you can! Right before Essex Street, Jamaica-bound (J) trains can switch to the track currently occupied by the (M). That leaves the middle track free for turning trains. The downside is that either the (J) or (M) will be held in the tunnel as only one train can occupy the southernmost track; there will be no cross-platform transfer.

I'm not really sure if this is feasible at all but it is a fantasy train idea so take it with a grain of salt.

Extend the (s/b)  (3) to cross the  (A)(C) trains at Euclid Ave. and link up with the  (J)  (Z)  trains running from Crescent St. to Jamaica Center, then make its way to Jamaica Ave. where it would link up with the LIRR Hollis station.

This is part of my whole big fantasy map I've been working on.

Actually, you can! Right before Essex Street, Jamaica-bound (J) trains can switch to the track currently occupied by the (M). That leaves the middle track free for turning trains. The downside is that either the (J) or (M) will be held in the tunnel as only one train can occupy the southernmost track; there will be no cross-platform transfer.

Thought so, but even in my examples, I would ONLY use this on non-peak hour weekdays if my version of the (Z) terminated at Essex (as noted, it otherwise would run to Broadway Junction during the week while late nights (Monday-Thursday) and then 11:00 PM Friday-5:30 AM Monday run to/from Metropolitan Avenue since that would replace both the late night shuttle and weekend (M) train as well as the late night (R) shuttle since it would be a 24/7 line to 95th Street Brooklyn).

Do you guys remember when I suggested that the R188's needed to display <7> instead of (7) all the time so that people don't get confused and I think Lance said that it was a bad idea? (This was random :P )

On another note, I overheard that the MTA is planning to extended the (C) to Ozone Park sometime next year, with rush hour trips to Rockaway Parkway. Is this true?

I'm not really sure if this is feasible at all but it is a fantasy train idea so take it with a grain of salt.

Extend the (s/b)  (3) to cross the  (A)(C) trains at Euclid Ave. and link up with the  (J)  (Z)  trains running from Crescent St. to Jamaica Center, then make its way to Jamaica Ave. where it would link up with the LIRR Hollis station.

This is part of my whole big fantasy map I've been working on.

I don't now what to say!

I am sorry, but honestly this proposal is horrible. Also, you can't operate A and B Division trains on the same tracks.

Do you guys remember when I suggested that the R188's needed to display <7> instead of (7) all the time so that people don't get confused and I think Lance said that it was a bad idea? (This was random :P )

On another note, I overheard that the MTA is planning to extended the (C) to Ozone Park sometime next year, with rush hour trips to Rockaway Parkway. Is this true?

I don't know where you heard it, but it would be a good idea to do so.

They've tried to do that 5,000 times already...every time the people and politicians complain about losing the express ride(idiots don't know how to transfer <_<) and it never happens...

They've tried to do that 5,000 times already...every time the people and politicians complain about losing the express ride(idiots don't know how to transfer <_<) and it never happens...

He meant Rockaway Park, which is where the old <CC> used to go years ago.

It's Lefferts Boulevard that's the issue.  Locals there don't want to give up their express ride because they can sit on one the (A) trains whereas their fear is if was a (C) train, they transfer at Euclid (or earlier) to an (A) from Far Rockaway and it's already SRO (conveniently forgetting if ALL of the (A) trains went to Far Rockaway/Rockaway Park, you'd have twice as many (A) trains coming from there so the chances would be far less likely of an SRO train by the time it hits Rockaway Parkway, the first/last stop the (A) stops at coming from/going to the Rockaways).  

Some are just too lazy to want to have to transfer to an express along the way (even if it's same platform) even though it would mean increased service overall and more trains on both the Lefferts and Rockaway lines.

Edited by Wallyhorse

It's Lefferts Boulevard that's the issue.  Locals there don't want to give up their express ride because they can sit on one the (A) trains whereas their fear is if was a (C) train, they transfer at Euclid (or earlier) to an (A) from Far Rockaway and it's already SRO (conveniently forgetting if ALL of the (A) trains went to Far Rockaway/Rockaway Park, you'd have twice as many (A) trains coming from there so the chances would be far less likely of an SRO train by the time it hits Rockaway Parkway, the first/last stop the (A) stops at coming from/going to the Rockaways).  

Some are just too lazy to want to have to transfer to an express along the way (even if it's same platform) even though it would mean increased service overall and more trains on both the Lefferts and Rockaway lines.

Us Coney Islanders had to give up Brighton express service to Coney Island a long time ago. We're dealing with crap like the (B) train leaving Brighton Beach 1 minute before the (Q) shows up. I think that is basically what the Ozone Park residents are wary of. The necessity of transferring comes with the danger of adding uncertainty to a ride. Based on the Brighton line's service pattern, there I deal with about 6 minutes of uncertainty. The (B) saves me 6 minutes, but if I don't know whether I will catch it or not, I must allocate 6 additional minutes to my trip for the cases where I don't catch it. Suppose the Brighton express served Coney Island directly, I could confidently spend my 6 minutes doing something more productive other than hedging against lateness.

Us Coney Islanders had to give up Brighton express service to Coney Island a long time ago. We're dealing with crap like the B train leaving Brighton Beach 1 minute before the Q shows up. I think that is basically what the Ozone Park residents are wary of. The necessity of transferring comes with the danger of adding uncertainty to a ride. Based on the Brighton line's service pattern, there I deal with about 6 minutes of uncertainty. The B saves me 6 minutes, but if I don't know whether I will catch it or not, I must allocate 6 additional minutes to my trip for the cases where I don't catch it. Suppose the Brighton express served Coney Island directly, I could confidently spend my 6 minutes doing something more productive other than hedging against lateness.

So schedule Manhattan-bound (B) and (Q) trains to come/leave both Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay at the same time then...you can also do the same for Brighton Beach-bound (B) and Coney Island-bound (Q) trains at Church Avenue, meaning a Coney Island-bound (Q) would come first, followed by a Brighton Beach-bound (B) immediately right behind it at all stations between DeKalb Avenue and Prospect Park...

What do you think?