R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

23 hours ago, Jemorie said:

“hIgH rIdErShIP”

Stop it with this never-ending stupid narrative. It’s all about replacing aging signals. You know the IND dates back to the 1930s or before.

Also, the conversation so far in this thread has been pretty tame for the past few days.

You’re the one who keeps bringing it up because you want a reaction. Maybe if you ignore it, then it will die on its own.

Yes, I know. That is why the r211's are going to lines that are getting CBTC.

If I'm not mistaken, they are already equipped with CBTC.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone else think that the interior R211 next stop sign is ugly and small? They should have kept that part the same as the the previous NTT’s or made the route bullet LCD with the rest being LED.

Looking at some of these YouTube videos they can’t even fit basic station names like KINGSBRIDGE RD without going over two slides.

Yes!!!

I bet what happened is the MTA got a lot of complaints about the text being too small or whatever so decided to make it larger. What's frustrating though is on the interior signage even if you did want larger text, there clearly is a bezel that could fit a few more inches of LCD Screen in either direction. Hopefully this is a small technicality that can and will be fixed in the next model.

15 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yes, the (Q) is high frequency because of the service demands now on 2 Av requiring a train roughly every 5 minutes (comparable to the (E)), and Astoria on the combined (N)(W) provides a train roughly every 4 minutes. The (N) alone isn’t recognized for a high frequency route because of large service gaps, and that the burden of providing service to Astoria is shared with the (W).

14 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I thought the (Q) ran more like every 6 to 7 minutes during peak, but with supplemental (N) trains up 2nd Av making it more like every 5 minutes in practice.

The Q runs 4-6 minutes from Coney Island during the height of the AM rush.  By the time these get to 96th St the rush is over, so they must be supplementing from layups or the N.  I believe it is (or was) 8 minutes midday, 8 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday.  I did see somewhere they were cutting the service a bit due to the lower ridership post covid.

But enough about the Q.  It WON'T be getting the R211 is my takeaway from all this.

Edited by zacster

Why are we even still having this conversation? We’ve established the 211As are launching on 8th avenue and overall the fleet will only be assigned to CBTC equipped lines.

you guys can go on and on about the N, Q and W all you want, but the simple fact is they are not getting them because the Broadway line will not be getting CBTC in the near term.

how hard is that to understand?

10 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Why are we even still having this conversation? We’ve established the 211As are launching on 8th avenue and overall the fleet will only be assigned to CBTC equipped lines.

you guys can go on and on about the N, Q and W all you want, but the simple fact is they are not getting them because the Broadway line will not be getting CBTC in the near term.

how hard is that to understand?

They keep proving my point about Car class obsessed folks never having a job down here... 

Ever....

On 2/11/2023 at 8:52 PM, U-BahnNYC said:

This happens way more often than it should. I can't count how many times I've been stuck underground with absolutely 0 communication, or mumble jumble, from the crew. It is a real problem and frankly more people ought to be reporting crews that fail to properly communicate. 

If the crews were told the reason why by supervision or the tower operator, they would tell you.  When they do ask, they'll usually get a surly answer, particularly from the tower operators or simply told "you'll be moving shortly" which means you'll move when we clear the signal (if applicable) or they take away the holding lights.  So don't blame it on the crews, blame it on the person who does not deal with the passengers at all.

they would be a lot more amicable to our situation if they had an angry mob breathing down their necks every time something goes wrong?

12-9 at Jay, I'm on the F. I get told we're going over Crosstown. I literally had at least one person angrily ask me "What do you mean we're going over the G train? What the heck is a G train?"

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

they would be a lot more amicable to our situation if they had an angry mob breathing down their necks every time something goes wrong?

12-9 at Jay, I'm on the F. I get told we're going over Crosstown. I literally had at least one person angrily ask me "What do you mean we're going over the G train? What the heck is a G train?"

I’ll never understand why people think that workers are causing these delays out of spite. Like who has the time to sit there and plan out how they are going to screw up peoples commutes when each worker has their own array of things to worry about. 

Working in retail you deal with the same thing. You’ll tell a customer the price of something that they asked for and then they have the nerve to get upset at you because of how expensive it is. Don’t get upset at me,  get upset at the corporation/company who set those prices and get mad at whomever was responsible for the inflation we are facing. Shoot if the average person knew where some of their tax dollars were going to they’d definitely have something to be upset about but that’s a conversation for another time. However as I get older I’ve learned that some people will do what they do and they are stuck in their ways. All you can do is just ignore cats like that. 

5 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

If the crews were told the reason why by supervision or the tower operator, they would tell you.  When they do ask, they'll usually get a surly answer, particularly from the tower operators or simply told "you'll be moving shortly" which means you'll move when we clear the signal (if applicable) or they take away the holding lights.  So don't blame it on the crews, blame it on the person who does not deal with the passengers at all.

Sometimes on the older cars, the speakers are just awful though so even if they tell you, no one can make it out. Heavy accents on the older cars can also be hard to decipher.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I’m sorry, but it amazes me how people have lived here for a while and still don’t know what a (G) train is 😂😂😂

46 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I’m sorry, but it amazes me how people have lived here for a while and still don’t know what a (G) train is 😂😂😂

If I think (cause this was only last week), she might have said she wasn’t from around here.

all I know was she was misusing the emergency intercom and there was someone else at my window asking me a question.

16 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

If I think (cause this was only last week), she might have said she wasn’t from around here.

all I know was she was misusing the emergency intercom and there was someone else at my window asking me a question.

Tourists can be pretty funny on the subway. The best is when they try boarding the train too slow and their group gets split apart and then they freak out. Happens all the time.

11 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Tourists can be pretty funny on the subway. The best is when they try boarding the train too slow and their group gets split apart and then they freak out. Happens all the time.

They never know where they're going anyway.  I'd see a bunch of tourists get on the Q at Canal and I knew they weren't going to Brooklyn.  When we'd emerge onto the bridge they'd all be pulling out their maps.

And NYers don't help with this situation either.  I was at Columbus Circle recently and the dad with a family asked someone which train goes to Rock Ctr, and the guy told him to take the A.  When the D pulled in I told them calmly to just get on, deux arrets.  When NYers don't know, they make shit up.

4 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

I thought eh above would hyperlink, sorry.

yeah links can be finnicky sometimes, 8th ave CBTC work is about to commence, first comes switch replacements followed up by signal replacements, since one of the requirements of 8th ave CBTC is to have r211s on hand for testing

On 2/15/2023 at 8:19 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’ll never understand why people think that workers are causing these delays out of spite. Like who has the time to sit there and plan out how they are going to screw up peoples commutes when each worker has their own array of things to worry about. 

Working in retail you deal with the same thing. You’ll tell a customer the price of something that they asked for and then they have the nerve to get upset at you because of how expensive it is. Don’t get upset at me,  get upset at the corporation/company who set those prices and get mad at whomever was responsible for the inflation we are facing. Shoot if the average person knew where some of their tax dollars were going to they’d definitely have something to be upset about but that’s a conversation for another time. However as I get older I’ve learned that some people will do what they do and they are stuck in their ways. All you can do is just ignore cats like that. 

I can relate to this here as I currently work at a supermarket. You pretty much said it all here so I'm not sure there's much for me to add right now.

1 minute ago, RandomRider0101 said:

They're supposed to, but I don't wanna get my hopes up too high as the deadline's already been pushed back many times. Hopefully it's for real this time.

Guess they don't want another R179 situation and rightfully so as that was highly disruptive. Atleast that happened during the pandemic at it's worst.