R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

10 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Do ya'll think when an R211 train is re-routed, they'll change the bullet color to the trunk line the train is rerouted to (for instance, a (Q) via 6th Avenue would appear as (Qorange)). I doubt it, but that would be really fun and make subway nerds go crazy when they see a blue (F) or orange (E) ect.

Probably not because it will confuse normies. It would be fun though.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/20/2023 at 1:11 AM, Danavigata said:

Confirmed! Trained on it today and will again tomorrow. Very VERY interesting train. 

As a former A Div TO I wouldn’t have a issue with these trains from what I seen from TOs who trained on them… Wild rumor is those two Open Gangway trains are coming to the Corridor…Interesting…. 

22 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Do ya'll think when an R211 train is re-routed, they'll change the bullet color to the trunk line the train is rerouted to (for instance, a (Q) via 6th Avenue would appear as (Qorange)). I doubt it, but that would be really fun and make subway nerds go crazy when they see a blue (F) or orange (E) ect.

I would love to see that (I think we should use trunk colors for reroutes much more often) but the suits strongly disagree

Edited by Around the Horn

11 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Probably not because it will confuse normies. It would be fun though.

I think most NYCers have a decent idea of the color-trunk system, and know that lines of the same color converge together in midtown Manhattan, however, they don't know what specific trunk each color represents (for instance, an ordinary NYer may think of (B)(D)(F)(M) collectively, but not as 6th Avenue). Riders also don't have a good sense of how trunks connect to branches, or where a branch even starts. If a rider saw a (Qorange) train, they'd make the association with the (B)(D)(F)(M), but might still have a poor understanding of the specific route.

The people who'd be really screwed would be toursists, though as things are today idk how tourists manage on weekends. I'm glad they made those weekend maps because even as a subway nerd, I often have a hard time deciphering the service changes with the way MTA words things.

Most NYers do know which color is which line.  I've heard people refer to the green line or the orange line, but usually they'll just say the (4)(5)(6).  What they don't know is where they branch in the boroughs.  What tourists don't know is local vs. express, nor for that matter up from down.  I've never heard anybody refer to the (7) or the (L) by their color though.  And when I've told people I take the (Q) train I almost always get "what's a (Q) train?"  Or at least until the 2nd Ave subway opened.  Now people know it from that. 

And how do you get to Carnegie Hall?  The (Q) train, because my kids certainly didn't practice and they've all played there.

I don't think the color change mid-route is a good idea in general. 

14 hours ago, RTOMan said:

As a former A Div TO I wouldn’t have a issue with these trains from what I seen from TOs who trained on them… Wild rumor is those two Open Gangway trains are coming to the Corridor…Interesting…. 

It wouldn't surprise me, It makes sense due to the (E) and (F)'s ridership plus they are already cbtc equipped.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:57 PM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

No. Because I heard it live over the radio as someone got caught doing that and got yelled at. The Q was operating on 6th Avenue as part of GO and someone rolled the lead sign to an orange Q. 34 Master was having none of it. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

No. Because I heard it live over the radio as someone got caught doing that and got yelled at. The Q was operating on 6th Avenue as part of GO and someone rolled the lead sign to an orange Q. 34 Master was having none of it. 

No yellow Bravos either 🤣🤣

Also, should point out that at this point, what you saw probably was not a “test” run, but a training run with Schoolcar.

we’re to the point where crews are actively getting trained on the train.

Hell, I’m getting my training on her next week. Got a call from the crew office yesterday.

and since this takes the place of me going to a normal road job that day, it has to happen during my tour.

5 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

https://www.nemanufacturingalliance.com/coolest-thing-made-in-ne.html

trust me on this… I haven’t been hacked… again…

You seem trustworthy.

I always think of Nebraska as more of a farm state + Omaha, not really a manufacturing place, so quite interesting the cars were built there as opposed to smtg like Wisconsin or Ohia.

12 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

it's an injoke for the real old timers on this site. way back when Occupy Wall Street was the big news, some a**holes hacked the site and replaced all my posts with a line to some stupid video.

I remember back when that happened way back in 2011. It is hard for me to believe I’ve been a member of this site for 13 years. Where does the time go?

21 minutes ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Time bloody flies; it's hard to believe that 2010 was thirteen years ago

I still look at the R142’s and R160s as if they are still a few years old because of the fact that they are NTT’s. However then reality hits and then I realize the R142’s are halfway through their useful lives. The oldest of the bunch are from 1999/2000, so that makes the oldest ones 23-24 years old. The oldest R160s are 15-17 years old. 

When the R211’s replace the R46’s that will be almost an end of an era. I say almost because the R62’s and R68s are the last SMEE fleet but the R46s are the last cars in service from an era when the nyc subway was in bad shape. A time when graffiti was on every fleet, maintenance was terrible, ridership was down a lot and crime was at record highs. From the stories people who were around at that time, you knew not to go to such and such place unless you wanted some trouble. The R46’s were not even 20 and they already needed to be rehabbed back in 1989/1990. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

43 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I still look at the R142’s and R160s as if they are still a few years old because of the fact that they are NTT’s. However then reality hits and then I realize the R142’s are halfway through their useful lives. The oldest of the bunch are from 1999/2000, so that makes the oldest ones 23-24 years old. The oldest R160s are 15-17 years old. 

When the R211’s replace the R46’s that will be almost an end of an era. I say almost because the R62’s and R68s are the last SMEE fleet but the R46s are the last cars in service from an era when the nyc subway was in bad shape. A time when graffiti was on every fleet, maintenance was terrible, ridership was down a lot and crime was at record highs. From the stories people who were around at that time, you knew not to go to such and such place unless you wanted some trouble. The R46’s were not even 20 and they already needed to be rehabbed back in 1989/1990. 

Saaaame; for me watching the R62s and R68s go is going to hit different. I was only 6-7 when the Redbirds retired, and I was only able to ride them once or twice (grew up between the (1) and the (4), mostly took the (1) because my parents had memories of being on the (4)during the 80s, and I only really started riding the (4)in high school when it was all R142/R142As)

1 hour ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Saaaame; for me watching the R62s and R68s go is going to hit different. I was only 6-7 when the Redbirds retired, and I was only able to ride them once or twice (grew up between the (1) and the (4), mostly took the (1) because my parents had memories of being on the (4)during the 80s, and I only really started riding the (4)in high school when it was all R142/R142As)

I was born in 2005 and never got to experience the redbirds; it was always just the NTTs and SMEEs. What's sad is I don't think I ever got to take an R40 slant which is a car I've been particularly fascinated by ever since I've become interested in subways. I def rmbr taking R32s and R42s though.

I never got to take the (V) train either (at least as far as I rmbr), but I do rmbr catching a (W) train once before it went away in 2010.

I'm old enough to have ridden the standards, triplexes, low-v and Q cars in regular service, and of course the R1-9.  I remember the R27s being the new cars on the Brighton line, and then a few years later the R32s appeared.  When you're only 7 two more years between arrivals was an eternity. 

When I ride the R46s now, still taking the Q train, they seem old and beat up and on their last legs.  The R68 doesn't seem as bad but I've been reading that they are also going to pot.  Hell, even the R143s seem a bit old now.  The R142 doesn't though. 

4 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I was born in 2005 and never got to experience the redbirds; it was always just the NTTs and SMEEs. What's sad is I don't think I ever got to take an R40 slant which is a car I've been particularly fascinated by ever since I've become interested in subways. I def rmbr taking R32s and R42s though.

I never got to take the (V) train either (at least as far as I rmbr), but I do rmbr catching a (W) train once before it went away in 2010.

I was born in the 1980's. I remember riding the trains covered with graffiti. I remember the r44's and r46's with a blue stripe. I also remember riding the red birds on the C, 2, 6 and 7 trains. I also rode the r110's A and B a few times.

The Franklin Avenue Shuttle is the only subway line that I have never rode.

28 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I was born in the 1980's. I remember riding the trains covered with graffiti. I remember the r44's and r46's with a blue stripe. I also remember riding the red birds on the C, 2, 6 and 7 trains. I also rode the r110's A and B a few times.

The Franklin Avenue Shuttle is the only subway line that I have never rode.

Damn. I'm excited for when I grow up and get to tell the youngsters about the non-NTT cars that used to exist. Like the R46 and R68 are comfy cars, especially for a long trip to Coney Island or the Rockaways, and the way design has been shifting is towards efficiency and capacity. 

1 hour ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Damn. I'm excited for when I grow up and get to tell the youngsters about the non-NTT cars that used to exist. Like the R46 and R68 are comfy cars, especially for a long trip to Coney Island or the Rockaways, and the way design has been shifting is towards efficiency and capacity. 

Honestly same; I'd really hoped to see more 75' cars with some longitudinal seating in the vein of the R68s on some of the longer express routes; like I'd love to see something Class 345-inspired on the (A), (D), and other lines with long express segments and long end-to-end runtimes (I loved the R44s and R46s on the (A) in high school when I had a research internship at NYU Polytech because I'd just grab a forward facing seat at Jay St-Metrotech and knock out all the way to 207 St before grabbing the bus up to Riverdale and walking the rest of the way home); like the Class 345s are lower-capacity because they're only 9'2" wide, but you could widen them up to 9'10" to fit the BMT and shorten them to 600'; their platform height is aligned with NYC's, and they look pretty damn comfortable to ride in while still having decent capacity. Images supplied for reference:

crossrail-train-seating-class-345-elizab

2560px-British_Rail_Class_345_interior.j

Like these were some older renderings I'd done of what I had hoped the R211s would look like (the interior was modeled on a fusion between the NTT and R46 interior, while the exterior was modeled on the Acela intermediate cars):

v8DFzzO.png

MrXEIb1.jpeg

Edited by engineerboy6561