R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

I agree the 179s are the best cars in the system . The r211s are on a scale from 1/10 I give them a 5. The 160s are better then those cars 

In what way are the r160s better than the r211s, ride quality?

7 hours ago, Ale188 said:

211s: Haven’t seen one but they do look good. They do waste a lot of dwell time though, 8/10

Okay, back on topic

Can you explain how the r211s 'waste dwell time', when the whole purpose of the r211s was to decrease dwell times?

7 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

R179 3010-3327 ️1/2: even though it had its problems in the past, it’s making a comeback. Hopefully the (MTA) and Bombardier can work out a deal again.

Just so you know-  the (MTA) won't be working anything out with Bombardier since they are no longer in the railcar business.

The R142/142A, R143 & R160 has the same rider experience they did in back in the 2000s, I rode R142s damn near every day in 2006 and they still ride the same today as they did back then.

The only real differences on the 2000s era NTT from back then is cosmetic, their might have been mechanical upgrades done during SMS but that stuff isn't noticeable to the passenger.

The R179s rider experience is still the same as they were back when they was brand new.

It's silly to get annoyed at the fact that ppl are comparing the R211s to other car classes because the R211s are new. Odds are the R211s will have the same riders experience 20 years from now. 

Edited by trainfan22

20 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I rode the R211 from 207th to far rock today (the 1st set) and it's starting to buck already (not surprising) It's not a bad train but the R179s are way way way better in terms of ride quality and smoothness.

Same trucks and such as the R160, hence why they ride literally the same.

I also prefer the R179s over the R211s when it comes to smoothness and overall ride quality.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

R211T 4050-4054 (soft-shell) was spotted to have pealing wrap because it was being washed with acid apparently due to it being tagged. IMG_4821.jpg?width=1202&height=676

Great, now these trains will be delayed for another 5 months for wrap repairs 🤦‍♂️ what’s with people tagging trains, can’t they have anything better to do, there should be an FBI investigation and arrest the person for damage of private property and trespassing 

23 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Great, now these trains will be delayed for another 5 months for wrap repairs 🤦‍♂️ what’s with people tagging trains, can’t they have anything better to do, there should be an FBI investigation and arrest the person for damage of private property and trespassing 

It’s one simple cover. They do (or at least did) it for the buses, they can do it for the train. 

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

Lol, it doesn't take 5 months to 'replace' a train wrap. That's a very simple fix that can be done in a much shorter period.

14 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

In what way are the r160s better than the r211s, ride quality?

Can you explain how the r211s 'waste dwell time', when the whole purpose of the r211s was to decrease dwell times?

Just so you know-  the (MTA) won't be working anything out with Bombardier since they are no longer in the railcar business.

Ride quality and dwell times can be adjusted with software adjustments and updates. 

Since Alstom took over Bombardier Transportation they could be in the bidding of future fleet bids. 

17 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

You can literally see for yourself. I’ve seen it before.

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Since when does software decide if some knucklehead is getting on the train or not? You want to decress dwell times? Have people respect "Stand Clear of the Closing Doors, Please." 

That’s a forced physical dwell time lol

12 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

There needs to be more vigilance in subway yards. It is a huge safety hazard for someone to trespass a subway yard for whatever reason. God forbid someone could very easily trespass a subway yard to put bombs on trains.

The MTA and NYPD need to stop this before it's too late.

On 7/15/2023 at 11:08 AM, Ale188 said:

Yeah, they are. I like the 179s too. All those dumbass kids still thinkin they’re lemons till this day. When I was in NY last month at west 4th I heard a couple kids complaining that they had to ride the 179 cuz they’re lemons. They ain’t lemons anymore. Y’all know why used to be lemons? 68s. Even 46s. But those guys proved that that can be reliable in their time. The 179s also proved that they are very reliable in less than 3 years after they got taken OOS. Tbh, all new techs are good to me. Especially them 188s. (Im not trying to argue with you, I said that I agreed) (Idk why I’m doing this next part but…) If I had to rank all the different rolling stocks in the system in my opinion, it might look like this:

SMEEs: All beautiful on the outside, but haven’t ridden any yet, 9/10

142/As: like the red stripes on all the A-cars, also like how their the first trains that kinda bring paint back to the system, 8/10

143s: Alright, but only serve one or two lines, 7/10

160s: Good god, I’m not talkin about those, 10/10

179s: Great, proved to us that they’re reliable, just like every rolling stock at their time, 10/10

188s: GODLY, 10000/10

211s: Haven’t seen one but they do look good. They do waste a lot of dwell time though, 8/10

Okay, back on topic

Before you posted here and when the R179's got taken out of service following the pull apart at a link bar, I said NYCT and the vendor would get those cars running again and not only that, they would become quite dependable.  I was disagreed with by many.  Well, I was right, but all my detractors have remained silent to this day!  As you say, they are no longer lemons.

I am surprised that you said you haven't ridden any SMEES yet.  There is a misconception that SMEES's are only R10 to R42.  But we still have SMEES: R62/62A/68/68A.  I respectfully disagree with you about the R160.  They are my personal favorite out of all the New Techs.

14 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

You are clearly exaggerating!  It will not take 5 months to make wrap repairs.  Once the material arrives, repairs will take a few HOURS!

The FBI does deal with damage to private property damage and trespassing.  They have bigger fish to fry.

SHEESH!

4 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Before you posted here and when the R179's got taken out of service following the pull apart at a link bar, I said NYCT and the vendor would get those cars running again and not only that, they would become quite dependable.  I was disagreed with by many.  Well, I was right, but all my detractors have remained silent to this day!  As you say, they are no longer lemons.

I am surprised that you said you haven't ridden any SMEES yet.  There is a misconception that SMEES's are only R10 to R42.  But we still have SMEES: R62/62A/68/68A.  I respectfully disagree with you about the R160.  They are my personal favorite out of all the New Techs.

This misconception seems to be rather common in the railfan community. I’ve tried to point out many times that the R46 equipment is a class by itself while the R62-68 class is SMEE, and the newer equipment is NTT. Carry on.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

There needs to be more vigilance in subway yards. It is a huge safety hazard for someone to trespass a subway yard for whatever reason. God forbid someone could very easily trespass a subway yard to put bombs on trains.

This is why there should have never been a merger between the Transit Police Force and NYPD, as the latter does not enter subway tracks with power on, unless of course (as we have seen) a life is on the line.  Even then they don't climb over live third rails.  Please don't kill the messenger here! 

2 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

With all the clamor about fleet expansion perhaps someone should explain where the new cars are going to be stored. I’m not familiar with the area leading to 179 st but aren’t some trains laid up on the tracks between stations ? It seems to be an invitation to the perps, IMO. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

With all the clamor about fleet expansion perhaps someone should explain where the new cars are going to be stored. I’m not familiar with the area leading to 179 st but aren’t some trains laid up on the tracks between stations ? It seems to be an invitation to the perps, IMO. Carry on.

Yes, they are stored underground, lots of them on the Queens IND.  No room in Jamaica Yard.  The story I have is that they can't expand it because the ground can't support the weight of the cars.  The nearby Grand Central Pky. was built on landfill.

1 hour ago, jon2305 said:

Just like to point, how many times have the the red and gray strips on the side of the R142's & R142A/R188 's A-cars been tagged up over the years? And somehow they manage to get new ones...  Just sayin.

Not really, I’ve seen a few R142’s and R188’s with missing red stripes, the MTA is too lazy to replace them, I doubt they’ll replace the design on the 211’s

Personally, I care more about trains being clean over a missing wrap or stripe. That stuff is just so trivial.

But as I and others have stated, those things are very easy to replace. And if they don't replace them, so what? As long as the trains are working properly, that's what really matters.

The R142/As are over two decades old anyway so it's not a big priority, hence why some stripes aren't replaced.

Edited by RandomRider0101

5 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Interesting point you bring up. Lets say hypothetically the new Subway Car Orders all include a fleet expansion. We know Option II of the R-211 is meant to be a fleet Expansion. The R-262 and R-268 contracts I believe will include some kind of fleet expansion. Now, what I’m more interested in is this. Storing Trains in Express and Layup Tracks is one way to mitigate the Yard Capacity Issue but after a certain point, a plan or something will need to arise where Yard Expansion or a New Rail Yard/Maintenance Facility will need to be considered. Whats being looked at right now to ensure that we have the capacity handle increased service/# of rolling stock?