R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Long as people don’t hold the doors

It’s not just ppl holding the doors, it’s the ppl confused about what train to get on as soon as train doors are closing. This one lady on W4th St nearly got squeezed by them on Saturday afternoon as I was on the (A)

Edited by FLX9304

12 hours ago, Calvin said:

Forgot to add, 6206-6207 can be paired up with any A-A set back then but after the incident. It's converted to its said 4-car set. 

Video from Fan Railer 

------------------

To this said thread: we have 7 trains at Pitkin Yard for now: 6 in-service with 1 testing so far expected to be in service next month. And, Pitkin Yard has 20 tech trains for the (A) (r179 included). 

6206-07 before that time was OOS for about 3-4 years. around that time they just returned to service and was the only R46 to have the hostler (if that's how is pronounced) controls (where you can control the train from the B end). most of the fleet had it post GOH but when they linked the cars together in 1994-5 they removed them. 6206-07 still had it until it was linked with the 2 surviving cars from the 125th st derailment and had the hostler removed. Had that set not derailed at 125th, 6206-07 would have been the first 2 R46s to retire.

8 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Today I finally got to ride the R211’s, and from my experience, the ride is very smooth, I do see a problem with the speakers, it sounds muffled, I had some spare time so I basically waited for a 211 to show up 

Which set did you ride?

Rode them for the 2nd time today.  The first time I was with a big group of people and didn't pay much attention.  Today I took 4094 (I think) from W4th to Jay St.  It was hard to tell the difference between it and an R179 from the feel.  The door lights, FIND systems and lack of seat were the only other thing I even noticed.  It was a nice smooth ride.

2 hours ago, MJHmarc said:

BTW for all those who said the MTA should or will increase the R211 orders for the prep of congestion pricing they have said no there’s no plans to boost service when happens. 

https://gothamist.com/news/mta-will-not-boost-service-when-congestion-pricing-goes-into-effect

the only thing they'll do which they always do is order option II (they are going to have to anyway for the 2nd ave extension to 125th st)

Again this agency is dumb, the one thing to encourage people to take mass transit and they are shooting themselves in the foot by telling the riding public they aren't boosting any service. This is the main reason why more people went to cars between 1995-2000.

Also things could change if congestion pricing is in affect.

Edited by R32 3838

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

the only thing they'll do which they always do is order option II (they are going to have to anyway for the 2nd ave extension to 125th st)

Again this agency is dumb, the one thing to encourage people to take mass transit and they are shooting themselves in the foot by telling the riding public they aren't boosting any service. This is the main reason why more people went to cars between 1995-2000.

Also things could change if congestion pricing is in affect.

The main reason why that many people went to cars during that same time frame that I was working for Choice Courier Systems in Manhattan, was a promised increase back in 1994, then Gov. George Pataki later cut $86M from (NYCT) and used it to paint bridges in Rochester. Meanwhile, September of 1995, the (NYCT) cut 60 bus routes (reduced service and discontinued 3 routes). Then November of the same year, the fares were increased to $1.50 a trip. 

I'm not surprised the MTA isn't planning the necessary increases that will make this even more successful.

A serious agency would have gotten started on that back when it was approved and implemented by now. If I'm right NYC might be the only place where CP is introduced that didn't increase transit beforehand.

And it makes absolutely zero sense. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

So there's still 6 r211's in service???

Yes and they are all out and about today. You can see a set early 20-30 minutes now and even end to end on the (A) LOL

If you want 4110-19 specifically it's heading to Manhattan as of when I type this.

Edited by Metro CSW