R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/8/2023 at 7:46 AM, slantfan4281 said:

I think it's more likely the (G) will be 8 cars. Assuming the MTA still wants to go through with making the (C) full length, there will be a ton of 4 car R179s that need to go somewhere. I'm going to guess they'll send them to ENY in exchange for some 4 car R160s to Jamaica for the (G). When the 4 car R211s arrive they can be used to expand service. 

By 2025 once the option order hits in January the  (C) will start getting R211 to push out the cars R179 to the (J) & (Z) for the increase spare factor. Which will push a most of the 4 car R160 to the (G). The MTA know the NYC population has been growing a lot. 

3 hours ago, Transit Fans said:

By 2025 once the option order hits in January the  (C) will start getting R211 to push out the cars R179 to the (J) & (Z) for the increase spare factor. Which will push a most of the 4 car R160 to the (G). The MTA know the NYC population has been growing a lot. 

Actually the US Census Bureau and NYC.gov says that the population of NYC has declined since 2020. 

12 hours ago, Transit Fans said:

That’s correct since all the R68 and R68A will be on Coney Island by 2025. Since the option 1 for the R211a will start in January of  2025.

Or earlier. With 5 car sets coming every week, things are going smoothly. No crashes and no delays on the road. 

On 10/8/2023 at 9:30 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Pitkins best performing r46's will go to CI. The worst performing r46's will be removed from service.

We would have to wait for the base order to be in service before official retirement of the r46's begin.

Let's not confuse "removed from service" with "retired".

A "retired" subway car means that the subway car is ready to go to the scrap yard. Keep in mind that there are still r32's that haven't been scrapped yet.

To add: MTA/NYCT has to have a contract with some vendor to scrap the R46's.  I have no doubt that no such contract exists at the present time.  Plus, there is no reason to until the R32's are off the property.

On 10/8/2023 at 7:34 PM, U-BahnNYC said:

Does anyone know if all R211 sets are running everyday, or are they starting to take 1 out as a "spare" as the R211 fleet grows?

I just want the R46s off the (A) as soon as humanly possible.

No way.  There could be 5 or 10 cars or whatever being held in the yard for any number of reasons: inspection, defect, vandalism, work needed to be done by the vendor.........The set returns to service when it is released by the dept. who requested it to the barn.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

On 10/8/2023 at 1:13 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I just hope that the MTA doesn't make the dumb mistake of putting both open gangway trains on lines that have low ridership. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money.

It could be a waste of money indeed.   They initially ordered 20 cars for a reason.  To evaluate them and decide if they want more in option orders.  No final decision has been made public yet if they want more of not.

9 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

It could be a waste of money indeed.   They initially ordered 20 cars for a reason.  To evaluate them and decide if they want more in option orders.  No final decision has been made public yet if they want more of not.

Cost will be another factor as they cost more than the A model. 

On 10/8/2023 at 11:36 AM, R32 3838 said:

Again, Giving Jamaica 8 car R160's would create a bigger headache and would cost more money in the long term due to the fact it's a restricted fleet for one line. The yard barely have space as it is, Now you adding 8 car units to the mix. having it 10 cars would allow them to share cars with the (E) (F) and (R) like it does now with it being 5 cars.

This would reduce spare factor and require less cars, If Jamaica gets R211s, this would make it even better when it comes to spare factor.

If the (G) returned to Coney Island, That's a different story. They can handle an extra fleet since the yard is bigger and could store more trains. 

Wouldn't have to be a service reduction, it could run the same as now.

Back on topic, I think the R211T's should enter passenger service within the next 2 weeks.

The 211T  will be testing in passenger service soon.....

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

At this time, 100-104 are heading straight to Staten Island. Their destination: Clifton Yard meeting the R44s there. 

Now we wait for Clifton to learn how to maintain them, then they’ll be in service, right? Or do they have to go through the 30 day testing like the R211As did

31 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

Now we wait for Clifton to learn how to maintain them, then they’ll be in service, right? Or do they have to go through the 30 day testing like the R211As did

I believe they have to do 30-day like the As did. Every different rolling stock in NYCT did (NTTs at least, ex. R160A & B), and so can they!

16 minutes ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Too early? The R-44's are literally falling apart. 

Speaking of which, I gotta railfan in Staten Island one of these days before the Rest of the R-211S's begin to Roll Out.

Assuming the SIR sets arrive at the same rate as the R211A sets and the R211S passes the 30 day test by around Thanksgiving, I would make a guess that the R44s will be gone around February or so.

5 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

Assuming the SIR sets arrive at the same rate as the R211A sets and the R211S passes the 30 day test by around Thanksgiving, I would make a guess that the R44s will be gone around February or so.

thats too aggressive of a timeframe, expect them to be gone later next year 

13 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

I think the MTA timeline said April-September, give or take.

5 minutes ago, Comrade96 said:

thats too aggressive of a timeframe, expect them to be gone later next year 

I mean aren't they trying to get rid of them ASAP? If the delivery schedule is supposed to be 20 cars per month and they get 10 before November, then they could get them all on property by the end of January?