R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just witnessed (North)4089-4085+4095-4099(South) Not in Service along Fulton Express going NB traveling at about 5MPH. One car has a SERIOUS flat wheel spot. Looks like the set is heading somewhere to be fixed. 

Edit: Just got a video of it crawling past Nostrand. 4085 is the car with a severe flat wheel spot. I'm unsure of where it's heading to be fixed. If I had to guess where likely Coney.

Edited by 4P3607

14 hours ago, 4P3607 said:

I've just witnessed (North)4089-4085+4095-4099(South) Not in Service along Fulton Express going NB traveling at about 5MPH. One car has a SERIOUS flat wheel spot. Looks like the set is heading somewhere to be fixed. 

Edit: Just got a video of it crawling past Nostrand. 4085 is the car with a severe flat wheel spot. I'm unsure of where it's heading to be fixed. If I had to guess where likely Coney.

What does a flat wheel look like? Is the wheel actually flat or something

Edited by Chris89292

12 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Given how loud that thing is, yes. 

the train is probably on its way to CIY for a date with the wheel truing machine.

or with how bad that sounds, have the wheel swapped out completely.

Edited by Kamen Rider

13 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

https://vulcan-production.nyc3.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/blog/content/2019/operations-service/trains-get-flat-tires-too/flatspot.jpg

I believe the actual term is Flat Spot. By the sound of 4085, it might be 1-2 inch spot or more. 

I've seen worst....

10 hours ago, zacster said:

What could cause that in a brand new train?  How does that happen?  Is this something that could be caused by a defect at the factory?  And if it's a defect that could be a real problem because there is never just one defect.

If it was running fine for a while and this sound is new, it suggests something had to have caused this flat spot. Either the metal the wheel is made out of was just weak for whatever reason or there was some extraordinary circumstance that caused this to occur (i.e. just the right rock sitting on just the right place on the rail). In general, though, train wheels are built to handle small interferences on the tracks.

Others have said wheel slide as well, which seems possible, especially if the train was on a slightly uneven track.

Edited by ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ

17 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

If it was running fine for a while and this sound is new, it suggests something had to have caused this flat spot. Either the metal the wheel is made out of was just weak for whatever reason or there was some extraordinary circumstance that caused this to occur (i.e. just the right rock sitting on just the right place on the rail). In general, though, train wheels are built to handle small interferences on the tracks.

Others have said wheel slide as well, which seems possible, especially if the train was on a slightly uneven track.

youre digging a little too deep, all it is is wheelslip somewhere, must have been a bad wheelslip, maybe from a BIE