R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/1/2023 at 9:23 AM, zacster said:

You posted this yourself on November 4th, but wasn't that one pulled again?  Or at least half that set.

That would be 27 days as of today.

So, basically when it has been 30 days, they'll put it back in service?

10 hours ago, maor458 said:

Not yet.

When will they do their 30-day test? They said Late 2023, It's December. Definitely part of Late 2023. And we only got one day left with the gearbox tests ig.

Edited by Ale188

56 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

When will they do their 30-day test? They said Late 2023, It's December. Definitely part of Late 2023. And we only got one day left with the gearbox tests ig.

The whole schedule went out the window after the gearbox and flats issues came. The MTA is now at the mercy of Kawasaki to get things back on track so all of your questions about in service dates are unknown. Even new deliveries have stopped. 

14 hours ago, Ale188 said:

So, basically when it has been 30 days, they'll put it back in service?

I'm just putting things together in my head.  They put this one set out there that had a fix, and then one new set that came that also already had it.  And they've been running both of these sets without any others being put in for 30 days now.  One 5 car set was replaced with another in the process.  Maybe they had 2 different fixes to try.  All of these are assumptions, I have zero inside knowledge.  But the facts that I know point to this, and these facts come from this board.  As an IT guy we would do something like this too with testing.  You don't release anything until you have tested everything and it all works.

If this passes the test, it'll take some time to apply the fix to all the other cars that were pulled, and also to the cars that haven't been delivered but are sitting in Lincoln, NE.  Hopefully it isn't a lot of time.  If it doesn't pass the test it'll be back to square one.

15 hours ago, Ale188 said:

It was supposed to start last month, but obviously that didn't happen.....

As far as the reasoning, I don't know...

16 hours ago, SubBus said:

It was supposed to start last month, but obviously that didn't happen.....

As far as the reasoning, I don't know...

The MTA is never on schedule in regards to overall subway improvements.

It seems that the gearbox issues are more serious than the issues that affected the r179's during 2019-2020.

As a result, the r211's are obviously behind schedule in regards to delivery, testing and placement in service.

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It seems that the gearbox issues are more serious than the issues that affected the r179's during 2019-2020.

As a result, the r211's are obviously behind schedule in regards to delivery, testing and placement in service.

Right, they were already delayed and now are delayed more...

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Need I remind you that one of the problems the R179s faced was a link bar failure?

On 12/4/2023 at 5:01 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This isn't on the (MTA) though, It's an issue that is being currently corrected. It takes time to get these issues fixed. The only mistake (MTA) made was getting scrap happy with the R32s, Now all the R46s have to be used because of this issue and 2-3 sets were vandalized causing the (C) to run with reduced train due to a lack of spares, even the extra R160s are no help since the (A) has to use those R46 spares as well due to them only being like 2-4 sets of R2111s available for service.

Everything with the R211s are pushed back while they troubleshoot this issue.

Edited by R32 3838

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

This isn't on the (MTA) though, It's an issue that is being currently corrected. It takes time to get these issues fixed. The only mistake (MTA) made was getting scrap happy with the R32s, Now all the R46s have to be used because of this issue and 2-3 sets were vandalized causing the (C) to run with reduced train due to a lack of spares, even the extra R160s are no help since the (A) has to use those R46 spares as well due to them only being like 2-4 sets of R2111s available for service.

At least the r32's weren't vandalized prior to retirement. Lol!!!

As for the r46's, I just don't know if it's "railfans" that hate the r46's that are causing these acts of vandalism or if these vandalic acts are caused by teens that have irresponsible parents.

Either way, the MTA and NYPD need to impose heavy fines or jail time to those who are vandalizing trains and buses.

Remember, if it's easy for a crazy teen to vandalize a train, then it will also be easy for a terrorist to put a bomb on a train. Safety first. 

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

There's no point of keeping the r32's any longer when train crews won't operate them due to COVID, which still exists.

23 hours ago, Lex said:

Need I remind you that one of the problems the R179s faced was a link bar failure?

Fortunately, those issues were fixed and the r179's are currently the most reliable subway fleet in the system.

The same will happen with the r211's. 2 years from now, the r211's will be as reliable or even more reliable than the r179's.

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Fortunately, those issues were fixed and the r179's are currently the most reliable subway fleet in the system.

The same will happen with the r211's. 2 years from now, the r211's will be as reliable or even more reliable than the r179's.

Yep, and then 50 years from now, they'll be the most unreliable.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

The R32s were retired long before the first R211 entered service.  They were able to make do with what they have.  Do you really think 60 year old subway cars were going to come to the rescue? 

3 hours ago, zacster said:

The R32s were retired long before the first R211 entered service.  They were able to make do with what they have.  Do you really think 60 year old subway cars were going to come to the rescue? 

They retired them because of politics and covid, They spent money fixing up 100 cars to have them last until 2022 or when the first of the R211s hit service. (MTA) got over confident with the R211s and it back fired. Why do you think the R46s are complete garbage now. If the R211s didn't have these issues, Then retiring the R32s wouldn't have been an issue. They made service because of low ridership on top of the crew shortage. Now they can barely do full service when they do have enough crews on on certain lines (we still have a crew shortage) but it's not as bad as it was between 2020-2022. They had the R32 fleet as a reserve fleet from late 2020 to 2021. When a few sets of R46s got vandalized a few days ago, the (C) couldn't run full service and you add the R211 issues, they have to use whatever R46 spare for the (A) meaning the (C) gets screwed even with the additional R160s they got from ENY.

We all know the R32s needed to go but now the (MTA) has a fleet issue and a crew shortage and them trying to brute force congestion pricing isn't helping.

It was common sense that the R211s were going to have issues due to covid, supply shortages and QC issues due to Kawasaki hiring new workers to replace the ones who left over pay (due to remote jobs offering more money). They could have kept some of the cars (at least 70 cars minimum) and they probably wouldn't even had to use them unless it was a very big emergency.

The "They were able to make do with what they have." is the reason why we have issues with the B division fleet and why the R46s have become pure garbage because they spend less time in the shop so they can make service.

The R211 issues are being fixed so it's not a big deal but it shows that (MTA) is still making the same old mistakes when it comes to it's old fleet before making sure everything is fine with the replacements. The riding public and soon to be about 40% of motorists have to pay the price for (MTA)'s dumb decision making.

2 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

they shoulda just kept the 160 trucks and avoided all this but it is what it is 

I agree 100%, This was a dumb move to change the trucks.

Edited by R32 3838

3 hours ago, zacster said:

Yes, actually. Had they not been so scrap happy with them, it would have saved the day. Again.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes, actually. Had they not been so scrap happy with them, it would have saved the day. Again.

I doubt it since they have the R46s but say if they were back up trains, you'll probably see 1-2 sets at best like the incident with the CI R46s getting vandalized. I think that's when the R211s except the one set was OOS (i could be wrong).

I'm surprised they aren't borrowing a 10 car set or two of R160s for the (A) from Jamaica like they did in mid to late 2020. If it weren't for the extra (R) service they could have had extra 10 car R160s they could have used.

11 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

At least the r32's weren't vandalized prior to retirement. Lol!!!

As for the r46's, I just don't know if it's "railfans" that hate the r46's that are causing these acts of vandalism or if these vandalic acts are caused by teens that have irresponsible parents.

Either way, the MTA and NYPD need to impose heavy fines or jail time to those who are vandalizing trains and buses.

Remember, if it's easy for a crazy teen to vandalize a train, then it will also be easy for a terrorist to put a bomb on a train. Safety first. 

I’ve seen YouTube videos where it’s bands of teen sneaking into storage tracks, yards, and break into the trains to vandalize them. The videos I had seen however were vandalisms of the (M)s R160s that get stored overnight at the unused platform of Bowery, but maybe there are more

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I doubt it since they have the R46s but say if they were back up trains, you'll probably see 1-2 sets at best like the incident with the CI R46s getting vandalized. I think that's when the R211s except the one set was OOS (i could be wrong).

I'm surprised they aren't borrowing a 10 car set or two of R160s for the (A) from Jamaica like they did in mid to late 2020. If it weren't for the extra (R) service they could have had extra 10 car R160s they could have used.

Yeah moving main-line R160s now is not as feasible as it was before (2020-2021 when the (F) was on 10 minute headways) due to the 63 St tunnel reconstruction. There would have been enough R160s available had they done my plan for the track reconstruction:

reduced (E)(F), normal (R) service, no <F>, and (M) service every 8 minutes between Metropolitan Av and 47-50 Sts, and alternating trans to 57 St-6 Av and to 71 Av (each on a 15 minute headway during rush hours), and the current setup all other times.