R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's worth having a separated thread for the future of R68/R68A.

By the time of 2020, the R68/R68 will be about 30-35 years old. That's a bit late for mid-life upgrade if we expect the cars have 40-50 lifespan. But then by the time they will be only trains in B division that couldn't support CTBC.
If  (MTA) likes to keep them until 2030, that means  (MTA) should begin the tender process for R68/R68A upgrade now, or soon.

Edited by HenryB

The R68/A should of been having the LED after the R62A finished theirs LED testing.

Does anyone thinks GE would the candidate for the R211 or CAF from Spain since Kawasaki will be the only one to win the contract if the M9 order will be on time in its delivery. Maybe Boeing will go back on building subway cars since they built light rail cars and Chicago's rail cars in the 1970's. This is my opinion.

Edited by Woodside7878

I think it's worth having a separated thread for the future of R68/R68A.

By the time of 2020, the R68/R68 will be about 30-35 years old. That's a bit late for mid-life upgrade if we expect the cars have 40-50 lifespan. But then by the time they will be only trains in B division that couldn't support CTBC.

If  (MTA) likes to keep them until 2030, that means  (MTA) should begin the tender process for R68/R68A upgrade now, or soon.

There is one in the photos / vids subforum, But perhaps it should be moved to the main forum so more people can see and join the discussion.

The R68/A should of been having the LED after the R62A finished theirs LED testing.

Does anyone thinks GE would the candidate for the R211 or CAF from Spain since Kawasaki will be the only one to win the contract if the M9 order will be on time in its delivery. Maybe Boeing will go back on building subway cars since they built light rail cars and Chicago's rail cars in the 1970's. This is my opinion.

Boeing making train cars again? That would be cool! :)

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

The only way GE can/would get in on this is through its Alstom Tansportation Dvision, as it is a qualified supplier.

Speaking of LED's, at the new Apple store in Williamsburg, they have a display with the smallest RGB pixels yet: f042310f0131d1eaceeb184015e3de10.jpg

Fine enough for both the curtain-like bullet of the end sign, as well as the FIND (which we also saw in that illustration will use color now). So this is what we can look forward to!

Speaking of LED's, at the new Apple store in Williamsburg, they have a display with the smallest RGB pixels yet: f042310f0131d1eaceeb184015e3de10.jpg

Fine enough for both the curtain-like bullet of the end sign, as well as the FIND (which we also saw in that illustration will use color now). So this is what we can look forward to!

If this display is big, could it be 8K?

8K content is now being broadcast in Japan. 

An 8K LED screen is certainly possible. The video billboard on the Marriott Marquis in Times Square is pretty close. LED video walls are just modular tiles, so you can combine as many as you like for almost infinite resolution. The newest video walls have a pixel pitch as fine as 0.7mm, which translates to an 8K screen that's about 17 x 10 feet.

4K and 8K are impractical for anything that isn't jumbotron size because the file sizes would be way too large, and below a certain size the difference is pretty negligible.

Actually, 4k is completely practical. In fact, even most independent films are shot in 4k and scaled down to regular HD. And that's only because 4k resolutions aren't widely used yet. But in a few years, 4k will be the standard.

How do I know this? Freelance grip/electric. I know plenty of people that shoot in 4k and they talk about his all the time.

On top of that, when editing a file of such high quality, you lower the resolution (thus lowering the file size) and edit it that way. Everything you watch on television and in the cinema is done that way. Graphics and posters are done similarly.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Edited by LTA1992

4K and 8K are impractical for anything that isn't jumbotron size because the file sizes would be way too large, and below a certain size the difference is pretty negligible.

In a few years when 100" TVs are within reach for most people, you might feel differently.  ;)

Regardless, the point is that full-color LED panels have indeed reached sufficient pixel density for numerous interesting applications in subway car designs. (Obviously not anything close to 4K, but perhaps similar pixel density. That's the point.)

And they're sufficiently rugged, too. I was at an event yesterday where I walked on a huge stage that was one giant hi-res LED screen. 

Edited by rbrome

This Olympics will be captured and broadcast in 8K: 

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/worlds-first-8k-tv-broadcasts-begin-for-rio-olympics/

But again, I'm more interested in the fact that full-color modular LED panels with 2mm dot pitch are common, and they even come in 1mm and 0.7mm varieties. You can do a lot with that in a subway car. 

This Olympics will be captured and broadcast in 8K:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/worlds-first-8k-tv-broadcasts-begin-for-rio-olympics/

But again, I'm more interested in the fact that full-color modular LED panels with 2mm dot pitch are common, and they even come in 1mm and 0.7mm varieties. You can do a lot with that in a subway car.

And only the Japanese NHK channel will broadcast it that way. But since 8k televisions are nowhere near the commercial market, it will be in public viewing areas only. 4k is still in infancy. No way is 8k coming to the general public any time soon.

Edited by LTA1992

What about digital advertising, it would be better then the old fashion ads we see currently on the fleet

That's an interesting idea. It would be easy for them to be too bright and therefore very obnoxious. Not to mention that they would obviously display video. Of course anything more attention-getting is something advertisers love, so it's probably inevitable. 

One thing that may hold this up is waste heat. LEDs are very efficient, but far from perfectly efficient. An LED screen of any decent size outputs notable heat. Stand next to the LED walls at Fulton Center and you'll see what I mean. That's not a big deal for a small strip sign, etc., but covering the whole area that ads currently cover inside a subway car, it could be a serious issue. Perhaps if they're not too bright (as would be appropriate for that viewing distance) then it's fine, but I'm not sure. 

I don't know what the different K measurements are (if it's pixel size, then that can be increased by either making the display larger or making the pixels smaller, and this one was basically a whole wall), but I go by LED size (with the standard LED being 5mm), and these look like 1 mm, and almost as small as the amber LED's of the FIND text. 

The pitch on RGB's is still wider than others (because of the heat), but has gotten better on these new signs.

Edited by Eric B

I don't know what the different K measurements are (if it's pixel size, then that can be increased by either making the display larger or making the pixels smaller, and this one was basically a whole wall), but I go by LED size (with the standard LED being 5mm), and these look like 1 mm, and almost as small as the amber LED's of the FIND text.

The pitch on RGB's is still wider than others (because of the heat), but has gotten better on these new signs.

Pretty much the amount of pixels in a frame. HD is pretty much 1080 pixels long by 720 pixels high. Higher than that, I have no clue. The measurements are different. But the more pixels create a sharper image.

Actually, 4k is completely practical. In fact, even most independent films are shot in 4k and scaled down to regular HD. And that's only because 4k resolutions aren't widely used yet. But in a few years, 4k will be the standard.

How do I know this? Freelance grip/electric. I know plenty of people that shoot in 4k and they talk about his all the time.

On top of that, when editing a file of such high quality, you lower the resolution (thus lowering the file size) and edit it that way. Everything you watch on television and in the cinema is done that way. Graphics and posters are done similarly.

There's quite a difference between being able to project in 4K, and being able to store 4K - how much hard drive space are we trying to shove onto the R211? And besides, what would be the point? 4K is not a prerequisite for having information display (which we already have) or digital advertising (which other places have been doing since 2001 on single-color LED displays).