R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (G) does not have ridership that warrants full sized trains.

^^^ THIS

As well as the fact that using a shorter train allows for more cars to be used. If the G was a full length route and it used the same amount of cars it has today, there'd be half as many trains running on the route.

Granted, 600 foot trains doesn't stop Washington from running OPTO at all times. It's horribly inefficient, as the doors don't open at an island platform until the T/O gets over to the other side of the car, but they still do it. In fact, the only systems I can think of other than New York that don't run OPTO for everything are Toronto and PATH, the former of which is almost identical to the IND in dimensions with a C/R doing the doors from the back.

Granted, 600 foot trains doesn't stop Washington from running OPTO at all times. It's horribly inefficient, as the doors don't open at an island platform until the T/O gets over to the other side of the car, but they still do it. In fact, the only systems I can think of other than New York that don't run OPTO for everything are Toronto and PATH, the former of which is almost identical to the IND in dimensions with a C/R doing the doors from the back.

The length of the train doesn't prevent OPTO as you have pointed out. However, there is a union rule on the books, where a train longer than 300 feet requires a second crew member.

Interestingly a 5 car train of R160s is technically 302 feet long (so it will be interesting to see , when the R68s get replaced if the unions are willing to fight over two inches.)

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

PATH is actually most like IRT locals back when they had 7 and 8 car trains, also is FRA, who I do not think would ever allow OPTO.

Why in the world did PATH go for full-width cabs is beyond me, other than to piss some of us off, especially with that solid steel door. The conductor positions are out in the open.

PATH is actually most like IRT locals back when they had 7 and 8 car trains, also is FRA, who I do not think would ever allow OPTO.

FRA regulations severely limit OPTO, but there is not an outright ban. A second crew member is required for any reverse moves, for example. Most US railroads (especially the Class Is and virtually all Class IIs) operate with 2 crew members on board. In Europe, OPTO is common at all levels of freight and passenger rail.

• 4 weeks later...

Philly is all OPTO, I believe. It certainly is on the MFL (blue line). 

Philly uses video for OPTO on the MFL. Every platform has at least three cameras, which transmit to an in-cab screen via a short-range radio system. The cabs aren't even full-width. The single operator in a small right-side cab never even has to stand up nor open a window. 

On a separate note -- and this might be a silly question -- but why does any train operator have to see the platform to open the doors? I get someone needing to supervise door closing, obviously. But opening? The operator can see quite clearly that they're lined up with the platform. In fact they can see that better from the cab than by looking out the window.

So what are they checking for before opening the door? Spontaneous platform collapse (because they happens so often)? Vampires? What? 

Even if there's a fight or other situation on the platform, but wouldn't that be visible to the operator as the train pulls in?

Philly is all OPTO, I believe. It certainly is on the MFL (blue line). 

Philly uses video for OPTO on the MFL. Every platform has at least three cameras, which transmit to an in-cab screen via a short-range radio system. The cabs aren't even full-width. The single operator in a small right-side cab never even has to stand up nor open a window. 

On a separate note -- and this might be a silly question -- but why does any train operator have to see the platform to open the doors? I get someone needing to supervise door closing, obviously. But opening? The operator can see quite clearly that they're lined up with the platform. In fact they can see that better from the cab than by looking out the window.

So what are they checking for before opening the door? Spontaneous platform collapse (because they happens so often)? Vampires? What? 

Even if there's a fight or other situation on the platform, but wouldn't that be visible to the operator as the train pulls in?

This is less of an issue here, but there have been issues in DC where operators have opened the doors without all cars platforming.

Maybe this was already posted, but I found this amusing. https://www.change.org/p/metropolitan-transportation-authority-do-not-give-the-r211-contract-to-bombardierThis is a petition to not give the R211 contract to Bombardier.

Besides, isn't Bombardier in enough hot water with the MTA for further disqualification anyways, regardless of the R179s arrival.

Sorry for the delay. I was trying to get a bit more information, so we will continue this discussion Friday afternoon. There should be an update on the expected timeline for the trains, so it makes more sense for me to just post when the new information is available.

In my dream last night, you posted some sort of update on the R211s.