A Free Shuttle Bus To LGA Might Not Cost The MTA Anything

Q113 LTD

Let's speak hypothetically though and say that they had to add one or two more buses.  You can't possibly sit here with a straight face and claim that's going to be so expensive...

For some strange reason, nobody is willing to admit that buses cost money to purchase and maintain, or that bus drivers have to be paid.

What about Riders Alliance premise the making the bus free won't cost anything. They claim a free bus would attract passengers. So what! Financially that woudn't matter since the additional passengers wouldn't be paying anything so I fail to see their argument. But I can see te MTA's argument that more service will cost more. So the question comes down again to who will pay for it?

I sort of agree.

When I go from South Battery Park City to North Battery Park City, some folks just take whatever comes first either M20, M22, or free shuttle Downtown Connection bus.

It's same situation at South Street Seaport and people who head to South Ferry take what ever comes first, M15 Local or shuttle bus.

I don't agree with replacing Q70, but I agree with Bus On Shoulder program on BQE and Grand Central Parkway especially during game season.

And my (rather obvious) point is that you aren't that concerned about costs when it comes to (MTA) workers milking OT, etc. and increasing costs. What a surprise...

Thing 1...

If enough service is added, additional drivers will be needed on straight time as well as overtime. The whole "it won't cost anything" argument deliberately ignores bus driver paychecks and health benefits.

Thing 2...

There is more than just the drivers and maintainers. The buses themselves cost money, spare parts cost money, fuel costs money. The "it won't cost anything" argument deliberately ignores those costs as well.

Thing 1...

If enough service is added, additional drivers will be needed on straight time as well as overtime. The whole "it won't cost anything" argument deliberately ignores bus driver paychecks and health benefits.

Thing 2...

There is more than just the drivers and maintainers. The buses themselves cost money, spare parts cost money, fuel costs money. The "it won't cost anything" argument deliberately ignores those costs as well.

No one said the service wouldn't cost anything. Don't be foolish. Whatever the costs are, they should be studied accordingly, and the GAINS from added subway riders should also be studied. You're yelling about a service that is ALREADY "free" for the majority of the riders who transfer for free with the free transfer.

If PATH is that concerned about traffic and related property problems, then THEY should offer a free shuttle -- by paying MTA to run it, or more properly, run it themselves.  That's part of the cost of doing business.

Rental car agencies at almost all airports offer shuttle pickups/dropoffs, and while they provide it "free", it's built-in to the cost of the rental.

Not that hard, really.

Did anybody notice that the thanks at the end of the report was to that Global Gateways Alliance group that is constantly putting down LaGuardia? I don't think they're really meaning that LaGuardia is so horrible compared to other airports internationally, it's just that it's a coalition of businesses that would benefit from increased government funding for LaGuardia. It's like when a sports team demands a new stadium, but in this case the owner of the sports team who also owns a newspaper writes that they can't attract better pitchers because the clubhouse stinks, never mentioning that he will get a huge financial windfall from the government spending the money on his personal toy box.

• 2 weeks later...

The q70 is planned to become an SBS route. From p161 of the December NYCT board book

• SBS Routes: Two Select Bus Service (SBS) routes starting in 2016, the Q25 and Q70 will have start-up costs including: Fare machine purchase, fare machine installation, fare machine decals, bus wraps and eagle team ramp-up costs (MOU with NYCT); Annual cost: fare machine maintenance and Eagle team (MOU with NYCT)

They at least should some type of analysis to determine which would cost more: making the bus a free bus as Riders Alliance suggested because 85 % of the riders are transferring anyway and paying on the subway, or the initial costs (spread over a period of time say ten years) and continuing ongoing costs of enforcement and machine maintenance before jumping on to the SBS panacea solution for all transit improvement in the city.

I don't think JFK Airport Terminal 5 don't have MVM and so does Marine Air Terminal at LGA.

Problem with machines are Credit/Debit/ATM Card holders only.

T5 does not have an MVM. I cannot answer about the Marine Air Terminal. The main terminal at LGA does have MVMs.

I think it would be a good idea to make the Q70 free given the short distance of the route and that the majority of folks are airport-bound, travelers or airport workers. 

Archived