Nostalgia Buses for the Holidays M42 only?

nuyorican

Assuming that you're referring to the vintage buses, those buses have been pretty packed over the years and often times, some folks take round trips just to ride it and talk with the operators who are knowledgeable about the buses. This year has been no different.

Maybe three years ago, they had some of the buses park by Union Square and they let you get on and off the bus and talk to the B/O's. I happened to be downtown that day and it was a really great experience, kind of like the Atlantic Antic. They should do that again. It's a great way to get tourists in without putting much stress on the bus

Maybe three years ago, they had some of the buses park by Union Square and they let you get on and off the bus and talk to the B/O's. I happened to be downtown that day and it was a really great experience, kind of like the Atlantic Antic. They should do that again. It's a great way to get tourists in without putting much stress on the bus

They did that this year:

One parked in Herald Sq

One parked in Times Sq

One parked in Union Sq

One parked in downtown Brooklyn

To 9 PM? NEver noticed that. I was out there after 4, and didn't see any, and thinking they ended at 5, figured I must have been too late.

Do they pull them off at rush hour, and then put them back afterward. I would have loved to ride one at night, as they've never been out in the dark.

I wish Vincent Mashborn, famous great vintage bus driver hasn't retired from MTA. He was very excellent bus operator, transit buff because he let the transit buff ride to close to 11th Av after his trip end on Vintage Bus. I remember Vinny who gave me ride on Vintage Bus after bus festival to Chinatown one time.

Didn't they also ran on the M23 and M50?

Oh yes! I can confirm that there were vintage buses on the M50 a few years. I actually rode one until Broadway for the uptown (1) train when I was little. 

Oh, and if you're talking about expanding the vintage buses to other boroughs than just Manhattan, here are the best recommended routes. I chose them because of the short distance.

The Bronx

:bus_bullet_bx13:

:bus_bullet_bx18:

:bus_bullet_bx20:

:bus_bullet_bx23:

:bus_bullet_bx24:

:bus_bullet_bx29:

Brooklyn

:bus_bullet_b2: 

:bus_bullet_b3: 

:bus_bullet_b36: 

:bus_bullet_b39: 

:bus_bullet_b61: 

:bus_bullet_b70: 

:bus_bullet_b74:

:bus_bullet_b100:

Queens

Q12

Q13

Q15 

Q16

Q19

Q22

Q48

Q100

Q101

Q102

Q103

Q104

Staten Island

S40

S46 (buses turn at Mariners Plaza to return to Saint George in order to prevent breakdowns) 

S48

S51

S52

S53

S98 

Oh yes! I can confirm that there were vintage buses on the M50 a few years. I actually rode one until Broadway for the uptown (1) train when I was little. 

Oh, and if you're talking about expanding the vintage buses to other boroughs than just Manhattan, here are the best recommended routes. I chose them because of the short distance.

The Bronx

:bus_bullet_bx13:

:bus_bullet_bx18:

:bus_bullet_bx20:

:bus_bullet_bx23:

:bus_bullet_bx24:

:bus_bullet_bx29:

Brooklyn

:bus_bullet_b2: 

:bus_bullet_b3: 

:bus_bullet_b36: 

:bus_bullet_b39: 

:bus_bullet_b61: 

:bus_bullet_b70: 

:bus_bullet_b74:

:bus_bullet_b100:

Queens

Q12

Q13

Q15 

Q16

Q19

Q22

Q48

Q100

Q101

Q102

Q103

Q104

Staten Island

S40

S46 (buses turn at Mariners Plaza to return to Saint George in order to prevent breakdowns) 

S48

S51

S52

S53

S98 

Now...why would you stick these vintage buses on the hood routes...and the Q100 for that matter!? Not even the MTA would be that dumb to stick a vintage bus on the Rikers Island route! On the island, you're better off sticking those vintage buses on the S61. They've done it before and it was successful.

In Queens, definitely not on most of those routes mentioned...the Flushing routes will put too much stress on them buses, the Q100s have no correlation with the mostly-active-vintage fleet at all. They won't run the Queens Surface TMC RTS or the Triboro Fishbowl for that matter(unfortunately).

For Brooklyn, the B39 and B65 would honestly be better. They've ran them on the B65 before, I would keep it on there again.

The problem is, they could expand the buses to other boroughs, but who's gonna drive them? They did this before and operators in The Bronx didn't want to touch the buses for various reasons. The ones they ran in Queens out of Queens Village broke down repeatedly, same for the Staten Island buses. Brooklyn's vintage fleet ran on and off and Manhattan's fleet was the most active.

This is primarily why they keep it to Manhattan. You got senior operators that knows how to operate the equipment and the convenience of a depot that's not too far from the northern terminal of any of the routes out of MJQ.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything listed about the buses parking near the parks, only that they are on the M42

Thats typical MTA leaving out little details like that.

They didn't mention that bus 100 (the New Look; not to be confused with Old Look 3100) would be running, but I managed to get a ride on it without even actively trying.

Thats typical MTA leaving out little details like that.

They didn't mention that bus 100 (the New Look; not to be confused with Old Look 3100) would be running, but I managed to get a ride on it without even actively trying.

Good to know! I'll have to stop by to catch a ride 

Well it's too bad that Friday was the last day. I wish it ran until at least New Years eve instead of the 18th.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see anything listed about the buses parking near the parks, only that they are on the M42

I only followed the website. I was waiting for a vintage bus along the M42 route. Didn't see one. Tired of waiting, I walked down 6th Av to Herald Square. That's where vintage buses were parked, where the senior drivers were eating McDonalds. BM5, you're right. The MTA should run the vintage buses up to New Years Eve.

Well it's too bad that Friday was the last day. I wish it ran until at least New Years eve instead of the 18th.

Damn, I thought it went through Christmas on past years. So poorly communicated

I only followed the website. I was waiting for a vintage bus along the M42 route. Didn't see one. Tired of waiting, I walked down 6th Av to Herald Square. That's where vintage buses were parked, where the senior drivers were eating McDonalds. BM5, you're right. The MTA should run the vintage buses up to New Years Eve.

That figures. Poor communication.

Archived