Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Which is why if I did ANYTHING with the Franklin Shuttle, I would rebuild the platforms to 600' and the tracks after Botanic Garden to two, extending the line past Franklin Avenue to connect to the existing Myrtle Avenue El (possibly including a rebuild of a small part of the old line) with those stations extended to 600' to make it the Myrtle-Brighton line. 

As previously noted, this line would run from Metropolitan Avenue-Coney Island and would become a 24/7 Brighton Local (as a "Black (V) " train) while the (Q) would become a 24/7 Brighton Express to Brighton Beach at all times and the (B) would be a second Brighton Local to Coney Island when it runs.  There would also be provisions built in as I would do it to connect to and from the Broadway-Brooklyn line in both directions and vice versa for added flexibility in the event of an emergency, G.O. or otherwise (i.e.: In an emergency, the (B) and/or (Q) can be sent via the current Franklin Shuttle line that would be absorbed by this new line and possibly be sent up 6th Avenue if necessary).

I remember that proposal of yours!

The one that made me laugh hysterically because of how horrible and far fetched the idea is!

Also, my brother who does not know much about the subway started laughing!

®'s are anything but empty, I don't know about you, but the ®'s are used.

they are crowded in fact around roosevelt

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, they are used and I find them very useful, but after Woodhaven on the Forest-Hills bound ®'s, I find them very empty.

Not really, you do have people who use them. I don't where exactly on the train you get off or on, but they are full (by standard, the cars in the outer ends wouldn't be as full).

I remember that proposal of yours!

The one that made me laugh hysterically because of how horrible and far fetched the idea is!

Also, my brother who does not know much about the subway started laughing!

they are crowded in fact around roosevelt

Especially on the weekend

Not really, you do have people who use them. I don't where exactly on the train you get off or on, but they are full (by standard, the cars in the outer ends wouldn't be as full).

I ride them from Canal to Forest Hills, board no more than one car away from the conductor's cab, and after around Woodhaven, it is damn empty. Considering that there are only 3 more stops on the line...

Edited by MTA Dude

I ride them from Canal to Forest Hills, and after around Woodhaven, it is damn empty. Considering that there are only 3 more stops on the line...

Not really, you still have people riding them. Yeah not in major quantities, but it's not close to empty. Depends what time you take the train.

Here are my Subway line headway and new route suggestions (which includes new tunnels being built):

(8) new line to run from Pelham Bay Park to South Ferry via Pelham line in The Bronx, and Lenox Avenue and 7th Avenue/Broadway in Manhattan to South Ferry. To operate 7 Days a Week between 5 AM and Midnight.

this is impossible there is no connection between the Pelham line and the lenox avenue line

this is impossible there is no connection between the Pelham line and the lenox avenue line

He's thinking in terms of a loop of sorts:

(8) would in this case start at Pelham Bay Park and run local to Brooklyn Bridge and then go with the (4) and (5) to Bowling Green before using the loop to get to South Ferry and THEN go with the (1) to Chambers and with the (3) to 148th Lenox-Terminal.

This might be something for AFTER the (1) returns to the new SF terminal with this new (8) using the loop station.

He's thinking in terms of a loop of sorts:

(8) would in this case start at Pelham Bay Park and run local to Brooklyn Bridge and then go with the (4) and (5) to Bowling Green before using the loop to get to South Ferry and THEN go with the (1) to Chambers and with the (3) to 148th Lenox-Terminal.

This might be something for AFTER the (1) returns to the new SF terminal with this new (8) using the loop station.

he did not say that and that would be a horrible idea!

<proposals removed>

I've got to say, these aren't bad proposals. I especially like the Hillside and Archer Avenues extensions as well as a fully realized Second Avenue with branches because quite frankly, they are desperately needed. However, I do have a few qualms with some of your ideas. First off, reducing service on the E and F lines? That's a non-starter if there ever was one. If anything, those lines could use more service, not less. Secondly, some of your peak direction express suggestions are unnecessary. Pelham doesn't need it during the overnight hours and the West End doesn't need it at all. You'd be running empty trains. Some of your service extensions into South Brooklyn are also not needed for the same reason.

Here are my Subway line headway and new route suggestions (which includes new tunnels being built):

(F) service extension to LIJ/New Hyde Park. Runs Express to 179th Street/Jamaica. Headways at 6 minutes during Rush Hours and 10 minutes during Middays and Weekends. Peak Direction Express in Brooklyn along the Culver line during AM and PM Rush Hours.

If the (F) goes express to 179th then what covers the local stops between Forest Hills and 179th?

The (E) and (F) lines are overly-congested as it is along Queens Blvd. The new Queens Blvd Bypass would alleviate the pressure, however I must stand firm on the 10 minute headway policy on most Subway lines (Keep the buses operating at the higher frequency) during the Off Peak Hours.

The (R) would increase service during the Rush Hours operating at 5 minute headways while extended to 179th Street (some trains to terminate at Whitehall Street in Lower Manhattan).

The only Subway lines that should operate at a higher frequency than 10 minutes during Off Peak Hours are the (1) at 7 to 8 minutes, (4) at 8 minutes, (6) at 7 to 8 minutes, (7) at 5 minutes (mainly because of <7> available) on Weekdays and 7 minutes on Weekends, (A) at 7 1/2 minutes (mainly to operate Far Rockaway service at 15 minute headways instead of 20 minute headways), and (L) at 5 minutes (it does not share a track with other lines along the length of the route.

ARE YOU CRAZY! It is going to be so crowded on QBL, they need 4 to 5 min headways not more, buses are not a good alternative.