Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

Which is exactly what I would do, either as subway or as a rebuild of the Bronx portion of the 3rd Avenue El with provisions if later on for a rebuild of the Manhattan 3rd Avenue El (even if that is extremely unlikely to ever happen), possibly with a new third level of Gun Hill Road that would be a new Bronx 3rd Avenue El station (and if the Manhattan 3rd Avenue El ever did get rebuilt, such tracks shared with a Bronx SAS)

You lost me at "Rebuild Manhattan El".

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still waitin from him, but I got a response back from the Park department saying that as long as I don't interfere with the structure of the station (breaking e.x pillars) that support the buildings around it.

What I sent to the mayor is to ask him if I can restore the station to what it once was. Maybe even open it up for tourists. But for now, I gotta go by a LOT of garage bags...

If I didn't make my self clear: I'm allowed to go in to do clean up.

I'm still waitin from him, but I got a response back from the Park department saying that as long as I don't interfere with the structure of the station (breaking e.x pillars) that support the buildings around it.

What I sent to the mayor is to ask him if I can restore the station to what it once was. Maybe even open it up for tourists. But for now, I gotta go by a LOT of garage bags...

If I didn't make my self clear: I'm allowed to go in to do clean up.

LMAOOOOO

IND Second Ave Line (Not 2nd Ave Subway) or (K) Second Ave Local.

Summary: The (K) will run and be built on the failed sections of the original SAS in Brooklyn, having 3 tracks with rush hour (H) service. The line will use R179's and R160's, possibly R46's as well. At each end of the line, there will be tail tracks, so the SAS (T) can access the (K) when there is enough money for the (T) expansion to Brooklyn.

Benefits:

This will take off crowding on the (G)(L)(A)(C), as well as provide transit service to populated areas of Brooklyn that are not served by a transit line.

Stations:

South 4th Street (Terminal For Now)

All current artwork will be preserved in the station. The station will feature 4 new passage ways to the (G)(J)(Z), and will be ADA accessible. The station layout will be the same, with tail tracks going towards the river. The tail tracks are also connected to a yard, and so will the tracks at the station. The inner most 2 tracks will be the one that serves the most service, the other ones will also serve during Rush Hours.

2nd Ave Bridge Options:

Option #1: The tail tracks will be rerouted to the Williamsburg Bridge, and the (K) can then go via the (M) to 2nd Ave. The 2nd Ave Station, (not the (F) one, that unfinished one) will become the terminal, with the same layout.

Option #2: A new 2nd Ave Bridge is built, connecting the tail tracks to 2nd Ave - Houston Street, where the (K) can go and terminate there without bothering Nassau Street Service.

Before I continue, what do you think?

IND Second Ave Line (Not 2nd Ave Subway) or (K) Second Ave Local.

Summary: The (K) will run and be built on the failed sections of the original SAS in Brooklyn, having 3 tracks with rush hour (H) service. The line will use R179's and R160's, possibly R46's as well. At each end of the line, there will be tail tracks, so the SAS (T) can access the (K) when there is enough money for the (T) expansion to Brooklyn.

Benefits:

This will take off crowding on the (G)(L)(A)(C), as well as provide transit service to populated areas of Brooklyn that are not served by a transit line.

Stations:

South 4th Street (Terminal For Now)

All current artwork will be preserved in the station. The station will feature 4 new passage ways to the (G)(J)(Z), and will be ADA accessible. The station layout will be the same, with tail tracks going towards the river. The tail tracks are also connected to a yard, and so will the tracks at the station. The inner most 2 tracks will be the one that serves the most service, the other ones will also serve during Rush Hours.

2nd Ave Bridge Options:

Option #1: The tail tracks will be rerouted to the Williamsburg Bridge, and the (K) can then go via the (M) to 2nd Ave. The 2nd Ave Station, (not the (F) one, that unfinished one) will become the terminal, with the same layout.

Option #2: A new 2nd Ave Bridge is built, connecting the tail tracks to 2nd Ave - Houston Street, where the (K) can go and terminate there without bothering Nassau Street Service.

Before I continue, what do you think?

How about you finish what you wrote first. As always, it's lacking in crucial details. Write your proposals as if they were blueprints so we won't be left guessing what the lines could possibly look like on a map and where they connect.

How about you finish what you wrote first. As always, it's lacking in crucial details. Write your proposals as if they were blueprints so we won't be left guessing what the lines could possibly look like on a map and where they connect.

Alright, I'll continue writing out the next part.

Edited by Javier

The MTA should buy the buildings that burnt on Second and Seventh and use it for an entrance for a Second Ave stop on St Marks

Build a bulk of the facilities for the lower portion of the Second Avenue Subway there too: ventilation plants, signal controls, CBTC networking equipment, etc. They could even build a complex in the same space and rent out space to retailers, which would put the building to good use while the feds and state drag their feet with funding the rest of the line. When the line actually gets built, the provisional space would be used to build the facilities that need to be there.

And don’t forget the plaque dedicated to the missing guy (if he ends up staying missing).

Edited by CenSin

They could add a stop there.  That part of Manhattan has been built up considerably in recent years and likely will continue to be.

And so has every other part of Manhattan, but that doesn't mean we should just go around and add stops everywhere. Because there is no express line (and I swear to god, we don't need to have a "the SAS should have an express that doesn't go anywhere" conversation again), interstation distances need to be kept high to keep travel time low, and quite frankly between 14th and Houston there isn't a compelling enough reason to put a stop there, particularly since the most expensive costs these days are for stations (and if you think the MTA could get that land without paying today's market price for it, then do I have a bridge to sell you.)

Why should the SAS be making a stop that even the M15 SBS does not do, anyways?

And so has every other part of Manhattan, but that doesn't mean we should just go around and add stops everywhere. Because there is no express line (and I swear to god, we don't need to have a "the SAS should have an express that doesn't go anywhere" conversation again), interstation distances need to be kept high to keep travel time low, and quite frankly between 14th and Houston there isn't a compelling enough reason to put a stop there, particularly since the most expensive costs these days are for stations (and if you think the MTA could get that land without paying today's market price for it, then do I have a bridge to sell you.)

Why should the SAS be making a stop that even the M15 SBS does not do, anyways?

In that particular case, if you're going to put a substation and other parts in where the buildings were, then it likely makes sense to also add a subway station there with exits at 7th and 8th Streets, which also allows the Houston Street stop to be a bit further south if possible (but still with the (F) transfer in place) and the 14th Street station be a little further north of where it would be others. 

Otherwise, I agree.