Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

7 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

This is not overkill. An (R) from Astoria to Euclid only Requires a new tunnel between Whitehall and Court Street (NYTM). Doing this will increase capacity on the Fulton Street line by 50% and allow (C) trains to run Express to Lefferts Blvd or the Rockaway's. 

While it’d be nice to have subways in outer Queens, I wouldn’t extend everything cause it’s overkill and some of these proposals are not feasible. Psersonally, I prefer these ideas: 

(7) To Francis Lewis via Northern or a Branch to College Point. A new bus terminal will be built somewhere close to Francis Lewis (Which I’ll go more in depth later). 

(F) to Springfield (Express between Forest Hills and 179. In order for this to work, either (M) trains would need to be extended to 179, the Queens Bypass would need to be built, or Queens Blvd needs to be (mostly) De-Interlined. Maybe this can work with the (E)(F)(K)(M) arrangement with one of the locals going to 179. And just like the (7) extension. A bus terminal would need to be built around Hillside and SpringField/Braddock since the current set up for the Street won’t allow for it. Doing this would allow for a variety of Route Changes to Buses along Hillside and Adjacent Streets. 

LaGuardia Link (N) Train (Or (R) when Broadway is De-Interlined. Nuff said. 

(E) to Laurelton because there is Space for a New Yard along the LIRR Atlantic/Rockaway Branch. Or to Cambria Heights via Merrick Blvd and Linden Blvd. I prefer the First Option TBH. 

(J)(Z) One Stop Extension to Merrick/168. If possible, you could extend THAT to Cambria Heights instead of the (E). It could Stop Short of Merrick, then Turn Down 168, then Head via Merrick and Linden Blvd’s. 

With only Extending the Current Subways in Queens, you can achieve the following benefits: 

• Making a Better Bus Network for Queens 

• Promote Transit-Oriented Development (TOD)

• Better Subway Access throughout Queens. 

That would be a Good Idea, also i like riding the Bus but the problem is that Buses in Eastern Queens are overcrowded.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

That’s because there are no subways around there.

Exactly, That's what i wanted to say. This is the reason why Eastern Queens needs Subways.

Buses in Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn (Except Flatbush) are less overcrowded compare to Buses at Desert Areas like Eastern Queens, Flatbush, Co-Op and etc.

8 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Maybe make your planned (R) a (W) train running Euclid to Astoria and leave the (R) as it is now?

6 hours ago, Lex said:

I can't see any Broadway service on Fulton Street performing anywhere near better than on Queens Boulevard (at least, not where it counts).

The purpose of the (R) running from Astoria to Euclid Avenue is to make Broadway Local service (and (R) service in general more reliable). Keeping it on Queens Blvd would not be a great idea since it goes farther. The 60th Street Tunnel connection is a big bottleneck that impacts (N)/(W) service as well. Coupled with the merge at 34th Street, all the services on Broadway are bottlenecked. Moving the (R) back to Astoria, the (N) to 96th Street, folding the (W) into the (R) and removing the merge at 34th Street would speed service for all riders. Also, moving the (R) from 4th Avenue to Euclid Avenue and replacing service between Court Street and 95th Street with another route would make service more reliable on both the Broadway and 4th Avenue Lines. I will get to service changes in another post.

15 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

The purpose of the (R) running from Astoria to Euclid Avenue is to make Broadway Local service (and (R) service in general more reliable). Keeping it on Queens Blvd would not be a great idea since it goes farther. The 60th Street Tunnel connection is a big bottleneck that impacts (N)/(W) service as well. Coupled with the merge at 34th Street, all the services on Broadway are bottlenecked. Moving the (R) back to Astoria, the (N) to 96th Street, folding the (W) into the (R) and removing the merge at 34th Street would speed service for all riders. Also, moving the (R) from 4th Avenue to Euclid Avenue and replacing service between Court Street and 95th Street with another route would make service more reliable on both the Broadway and 4th Avenue Lines. I will get to service changes in another post.

The problem is, many old timers will not accept the (R) having a southern terminal other than Bay Ridge/95th Street as was pointed out to me when I did some of my proposed changes a couple of years ago.   That's why I would keep the (R) as it is and have the (W) run the Euclid-Astoria route that you suggested, with that (W) becoming 24/7.  

With the (W) being 24/7 Euclid to Astoria (and late nights, the (W) can replace the (A) or with the (A) and (C) both running express on Fulton the (C) to Lefferts), the (N) and (Q) can as has been suggested by others BOTH run to 96th Street/2nd Avenue and later to 125th/2nd while the (R) and (W) are the Broadway locals in Manhattan.  

Edited by Wallyhorse

To make subway services more attractive, additional services is needed. However, some lines are already at or near capacity for more service. This is due to operational decisions and service patterns that while give people one-seat rides to their destinations, hobbles capacity significantly. On lines like Astoria, Queens Blvd, Culver, this is very apparent. Demand for a Culver Express has grown in recent years as well. While the (MTA) plan is a good start, it can be better. Deinterlining is good, but some people (especially in Northern Brooklyn) may lose their one-seat access they enjoy. A new solution is needed.

The solution for these problems in the long term is to build two connections:

First, a new two-track connection would be built between the Bowery station on the Nassau Street BMT to the Spring Street station on 8th Avenue IND via Spring Street. A single stop would be made along Spring Street between Broadway and Lafayette Street with a passageway to the Spring Street IRT Lexington Avenue Line station. At Spring Street, the line would merge with the 8th Avenue Local tracks. Provisions for a line to Spring exist at the curve onto Centre Street.

Second, a new two-track East River Tunnel would be built connecting Whitehall Street on the Broadway BMT to the outer tracks at Hoyt-Schmerhorn IND via Court Street station (now the transit museum, which would be relocated under this plan). A provision for a new under river tunnel exist south of Whitehall Street and has been planned for use as a tunnel south of the Montague Street Tunnel for a proposed DeKalb Avenue bypass. These provisions will be used for the tunnel.

Both of these connections will provide a connection between the Jamaica BMT and an uptown trunk line, while allow for some deinterlining of Queens Blvd and introduce adequate Culver Express service with no impacts to Culver Local service. The tunnel will also allow for Astoria trains to run alone, while still preserving yard access.

Now for the service changes. Note that for the purposes of posting here, I am only using the service bullets available on the NYC Transit Forums Emoji Library (or whatever its called)

8th Avenue:

First, with the new Nassau-8th Avenue connection the (M) would be taken off 6th Avenue. From here, the (M) would become the (K), operating the same route as today, but instead of 6th Avenue, it would operate via the 8th Avenue Local. To make room for the (K), the (C) would have to be moved to the express tracks south of 59th Street-Columbus Circle. New switches would be built south of the station to allow for such a move to occur simultaneously with merging/diverging (B) and (D) trains. Another option I was thinking was to deinterline Central Park West by having the (A) and (C) go express south of 145th Street (using existing switches), while having the (B) and (D) take the local. This was discarded due to the possibility of inconveniencing riders coming from the Concourse Line and the Northeastern section of the Bronx.

Either way, (A) (and (H) to Lefferts as discussed soon) and (E) service would operate at 15 trains per hour, and (C) and (K) service would operate at 10 trains per hour. This gives both 8th Avenue Local and Express services 25 trains per hour, or one train every 2.4 minutes, way more frequent than current service.

6th Avenue and Culver:

With the (M) off 6th Avenue, there is room on the 6th Avenue local for an additional service. Under my plan I have, this service would be a Culver Express version of the (F), which would be designated the (V), which would operate on the same route as the (F), except via Queens Blvd Local in Queens and Culver Express in Brooklyn. The (V) would terminate at Kings Hwy due to capacity constraints in Coney Island. Customers south of Kings Hwy may take other lines at a nearby station (via a bus) for a faster ride to Manhattan. However, customers north of Kings Hwy more dependent on the Culver Line would see faster service and Culver Local passengers would not be affected. (G) service would be unaffected.

Broadway and Astoria:

Broadway, carrying the (N)(Q)(R)(W), currently has a big bottleneck due to the merges at 34th Street and in the 60th Street Tunnel. The (R)'s routing via Queens blvd also causes big reliability issues. To solve this, I am proposing to reroute the (R) back to Astoria. The (N) would be rerouted to 96th Street with the (Q), no longer stopping at 49th Street except overnights. While the (R) would be at 15 trains per hour, proposed (N) and (Q) frequencies would be determined due to the future phase 3 of the Second Avenue Line, creating the (T) and having it share the line with the (N) and (Q). Either way, Broadway Local and Express service would be more frequent and reliable.

Brooklyn and the Rockaways:

To quell any concerns about the (R) not having access to a train yard with the line going to Astoria, I am proposing that the (R) use the new tunnel to the Fulton Street Line to Hoyt. From there, the line would run local to Euclid Avenue. This would allow for the (C), the current Fulton Local, to operate on the express tracks with the (A) and out to the Rockaways to Rockaway Park, cancelling out the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle. The (A) to Lefferts would be rebranded the (H). Having the (R) on Fulton Local would mean that the line would not be more reliable, all while maintaining direct access to a subway yard. The (R) fleet would be reassigned to the Pitkin Yard.

With the (A) and (H) operating at a combined 15 trains per hour (with the (A) 8 trains and the (H) 7 trains), and the (C) 10 trains per hour, and the (R) 15 trains again, the Fulton Local and Express, as well as the Rockaways and customers in Ozone Park would see more frequent and reliable service. Fulton Express service would be every 2.4 minutes and Local service every 4 minutes.

To replace 4th Avenue service, I am proposing the extension of the (J)/(Z) from Broad Street to 95th Street. At 14 trains per hour and possibly 15 trains, 4th Avenue service would be more frequent and reliable. However, due to concerns about the line and possible backlash about loss of Broadway service, I am still reevaluating changes to service. A possibility would include a overlay (W) route to Whitehall from 95th Street, and possibly an Nassau Street overlay to Chambers Street. In the meantime, I am proposing to increase frequency of the B37 and B63 bus routes to Atlantic-Barclays and 36th Street (this is not included in the attached map).

Queens Blvd:

With the (R) off Queens Blvd (and all Broadway service off Queens Blvd), this opens up new room to provide better service. To start, the (E) and (F) would remain as is, and the (M) and (R) would be replaced with the (K) and (V). Both the (K) and (V) would operate local all the way to 179th Street due to capacity constraints at Jamaica Center preventing additional service to Jamaica Center. This would allow for the (E)(F) to run express east of 71st Avenue except for overnights. As a consequence however, the 53rd Street Line would only be served by 8th Avenue trains and the 63rd Street Line would only be served by 6th Avenue trains. To replace 6th Avenue and Broadway service at Queens Plaza, I am proposing a free shuttle circulator bus connecting Queens Plaza with nearby stations (Clockwise Loop is Q105 and Counterclockwise Loop is Q106).

However, with the proposed changes, service would be more reliable and actually more frequent, especially on Fulton Street and on Broadway, which both currently have bottlenecks. While some folks would lose a one seat ride to their place, the frequency of these trains should make the transfer less of a pain, especially when one track has a whopping 25 trains per hour on some lines. Read the maps here:

Subway map (only B Division services shown):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10kqSyWR3XxaVjT9kIjqzOkHZkHHFWwmK&usp=sharing

Q105 and Q106 map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BvoyfRUmsFZdc7ed-CRrpJokcOH1gYjI&usp=sharing

9 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why create more scheduling issues by having the (C) to RPK and have the (A) the same when you can just have (C) to Lefferts and the (A) splitting the Rockaways?

It's not the first time he's pushed for something utterly bonkers...

What they could do is (A) between 207 St and Far Rockaway, (K) between 207 St to Lefferts Blvd, (H) between Rockaway Blvd and Rockaway Park, (C) remains the same between 168 St and Euclid Av.

Note: (A) to Lefferts Blvd is now (K) and same frequency.

Edited by bwwnyc123

Best is this:

(A) Inwood-207th St to Far Rockaway

(C) Paterson-Market St to Euclid Ave via George Washington Bridge.

(E) Jamaica Center - Parson/Archer to Lefferts Blvd.

(K) World Trade Center to Rockaway Park via Queensway Rockaway Branch

(H) Hanover Sq to Whitestone-14th Avenue

(S) Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park.

8 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why create more scheduling issues by having the (C) to RPK and have the (A) the same when you can just have (C) to Lefferts and the (A) splitting the Rockaways?

7 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

What they could do is (A) between 207 St and Far Rockaway, (K) between 207 St to Lefferts Blvd, (H) between Rockaway Blvd and Rockaway Park, (C) remains the same between 168 St and Euclid Av.

Note: (A) to Lefferts Blvd is now (K) and same frequency.

2 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Best is this:

(A) Inwood-207th St to Far Rockaway

(C) Paterson-Market St to Euclid Ave via George Washington Bridge.

(E) Jamaica Center - Parson/Archer to Lefferts Blvd.

(K) World Trade Center to Rockaway Park via Queensway Rockaway Branch

(H) Hanover Sq to Whitestone-14th Avenue

(S) Far Rockaway to Rockaway Park.

45 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

How about this: Weekdays (A) splits RPK/Far Rock. Weekends/late nights (A) runs to Far Rockaway only with the (H)/ (S) running between from Broad to RPK. 

It’s not that hard guys...

I think you all are mistaken. I am NOT proposing Local (C) service to Rockaway Park. That is Ludacris. Instead, with the proposed connections between Whitehall on the Broadway BMT and Hoyt-Schmerhorn on the Fulton IND, and the connection between Bowery on the Nassau BMT and Spring Street on the IND, the (M) would become the (K) and operate the same route as today, except along 8th Avenue. 6th Avenue service would be covered by the Culver Express (V) via 63rd Street. Both services would use the Queens Blvd IND local tracks out to 179th Street, thus eliminating the need for the (R) on Queens Blvd. The (R) would be moved to Astoria in Queens and onto the IND Fulton Street Line in Brooklyn, and boosting its frequency to 15 trains per hour, more than current (C) Service in Brooklyn. Both the (K) and (R) in Manhattan and Brooklyn respectively would allow the (C) south of 59th Street (with new switches) to Euclid Avenue to  run EXPRESS. With the (C) express on the Fulton Street Line, this will allow for the extension of service to Queens without scheduling impacts. Essentially, the (C) would be an enhanced version of the 5 (A) trains that run between Rockaway Park and Manhattan, except that the service would be more frequent and run all day and weekends, which does not exist with current service patterns. I am also enhancing Q53 SBS service to quell any further concerns. 

Building on what I wrote yesterday, here are the final service patterns:

(A) 207th Street - Far Rockaway. 8th Avenue-Central Park West Express. Fulton Street Express. Rockaway Local. Late nights service operates entirely local. Lefferts Blvd service rebranded (H).

(B) Bedford Park Blvd - Brighton Beach. Concourse Local. Central Park West Local. 6th Avenue Express. Manhattan Bridge. Brighton Express. No late night and weekend service. Use (A)(C)(D)(Q).

(C) Rockaway Park Branch of the (A).168th Street - Rockaway Park. Central Park West Local. 8th Avenue Express. Fulton Street Express. Rockaway Local. Late Nights Euclid Avenue - Rockaway Park. Transfer to the (A) and (R) at Euclid Avenue.

(D) Norwood-205th Street - Coney Island. Concourse Local (Express rush peak). Central Park West Express. 6th Avenue Express. Manhattan Bridge. 4th Avenue Express via West End

(E) Jamaica Center - World Trade Center. Queens Blvd Express. 8th Avenue Local via 53rd Street. Late Nights operates entirely local.

(F) Jamica-179th Street - Coney Island. Queens Blvd Express. 6th Avenue Local via 63rd Street. Culver Local. Late Night service operates entirely local.

(G) Court Sq - Church Avenue. Crosstown Local. Culver Local.

(H) Lefferts Branch of the (A). 207th Street - Lefferts Blvd. Central Park Express, 8th Avenue Express, Fulton Street Express. Late nights no service. Use (R).

(J)/(Z) Jamaica Center - Bay Ridge-95th Street. Jamaica Local. Nassau Street Local. 4th Avenue Local. Weekdays peak direction skip-stop with (Z), then express Myrtle to Marcy Avenues. No (Z) service nights and weekends.

(K) Jamaica-179th Street - Metropolitan Avenue. Queens Blvd Local. 8th Avenue Local via 53rd Street. Jamaica Local via Myrtle. Late Nights and weekends Queens Plaza - Metropolitan Avenue.

(L) 8th Avenue - Rockaway Pkwy. 14th Street-Canarsie Local.

(N) 96th Street - Coney Island. Broadway Express via Second Avenue. Manhattan Bridge. 4th Avenue Express via Sea Beach. Late Nights entirely local via Montague Street Tunnel.

(Q) 96th Street - Coney Island. Broadway Express via Second Avenue. Manhattan Bridge. Brighton Local. Late Nights entirely local.

(R) Astoria-Ditmars - Euclid Avenue. Broadway Express via Astoria, New Tunnel, Fulton Street Local. Late Nights Astoria-Ditmars - Lefferts Blvd.

(S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle. Franklin Avenue - Prospect Park.

(V) Jamaica-179th Street - Kings Hwy. Queens Blvd Local. 6th Avenue Local via 63rd Street. Culver Express. Weekends Jamaica-179th Street - 2nd Avenue. No late night service. Use (F).

(W) Folded into (R).

B37: Increased service Between Bay Ridge and Barclays Center to connect to Broadway Lines to replace (R) service.

B63: Increased service Between Bay Ridge and Barclays Center to connect to Broadway Lines to replace (R) service.

Q53 SBS: Extended to Riis Park for riders who would normally ride to Rockaway Park for (A) service into Manhattan.

Q105 and Q106: New free circular shuttle bus service linking Queens Plaza with Court Sq (E)(K), 21st Street-Queensbridge (F)(V), and Queensboro Plaza (R)(7) to compensate for loss of 6th Avenue and Broadway services at Queens Plaza.

Maps:

Routing map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10kqSyWR3XxaVjT9kIjqzOkHZkHHFWwmK&usp=sharing

Q105 and Q106 map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BvoyfRUmsFZdc7ed-CRrpJokcOH1gYjI&usp=sharing

Edited by JeremiahC99

I know the (C) is running express... however is still doesn’t make sense that you’ll be giving RPK more service than Lefferts as well as creating scheduling conflicts. It’s better to give the most to Lefferts and then split the other between the two lower-use Rockaway branches. 

4 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

I know the (C) is running express... however is still doesn’t make sense that you’ll be giving RPK more service than Lefferts as well as creating scheduling conflicts. It’s better to give the most to Lefferts and then split the other between the two lower-use Rockaway branches. 

I could swap the designations too, especially since the shuttle is internally known as the (H). Also, as far as the headways for the (A) and (C) and (H), under the plan I have, due to constraints in the Cranberry Tunnel, I have the (A) 8 trains per hour and the (H) going at 7 trains per hour. the (C) would be at 10 trains per hour. This gives 25 trains per hour on the express track. If I am able to, I would give the (H) one extra train per hour.

However, taking your advice, since all three would be going express on the Fulton Line, the (C) would be the express line to Lefferts at 10 trains per hour. The Rockaway Park Branch and the Far Rockaway Branch would both be at 8 trains per hour. This would still give 26 trains on the Cranberry Tube and on the Fulton Express Line (Somehow, I'm certain that future CBTC on the 8th Avenue and Fulton Line could churn out more trains per hour through the tunnel). The only problem would be that under the (C) to Lefferts proposal, Lefferts riders lose access to stops north of 168th Street under the current (A) service there, but then again, how many riders are riding from stations east of Euclid Avenue to stations north of 168th Street? Is that number significant, so much that it warrants having a train line going to 207th Street from Lefferts Blvd. Also, the plan would subject Lefferts riders to 8-car 60' trains, but that's also a minor issues since the R211 order for the (A) and (C) should provide extra cars to lengthen the line.

Also, to complement (A) and (H) service in the Rockaways, I am still proposing to enhance the Q52 and Q53 SBS service so that any rider who may not feel like waiting for the next train can ride the Q52 or Q53 SBS to Rockaway Blvd and catch the train there.

Under any option, the adjoining (R) on the local track would be at 15 trains per hour. This would provide more frequent service not only for both Fulton Line and the 8th Avenue Express platforms, but give (R) riders more frequent and reliable service, all while still giving the (R) direct access to a train yard, and on that note, it is to note that the (R) fleet will now be based out of Pitkin Yard, with the (A)(C) and (H).

In addition, with new switches, I would also have the (C) express south of 59th Street, to allow for the replacement of the (M) with the (K) line (running the same route, but via 8th Avenue and the new connection), and replace the (R), whose presence on the QBL impacts reliability of the line, with the (V). This would also boost express service on the 8th Avenue Line south of 59th Street and speed service to Brooklyn. (R) service would again improve with the line going to Astoria, and Broadway, 6th Avenue, and 8th Avenue would be more frequent.

I am going to update my map real soon, but most of the core concepts remain the same.

Just now, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The (H) apparently. I’d prefer that the (C) be sent there via Fulton Express. 

Under my proposals with the new Nassau-8th connection and the Whitehall-Hoyt connection, all 8th Avenue-Fulton services will be express. The (A) and (H) will be at 8 trains per hour to Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park, and the (C) at the more frequent 10 trains per hour, going to Lefferts Blvd. All three lines will be staffed and scheduled as part of the (A). To supplement Rockaway service, I am proposing enhanced service on both the Q52 and Q53 SBS lines. Under this plan, the Q52 would be extended to Far Rockaway, and the Q53 would be extended west to Fort Tilden-Beach 169th Street, compensating for those who would normally take the Q22 to Rockaway Park for the shuttle, which would be eliminated. This would provide more convenient  services, but take note, these extended trips would travel to Rockaway Blvd, NOT Jackson Heights and Woodside. Regular Q52 and Q53 SBS from Jackson Heights and Woodside would operate as is now (in short, the regular Q52 and Q53 trips would operate as is, but with overlay service between Far Rockaway/Riis Park and Rockaway Blvd.

10 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

This would provide more convenient  services, but take note, these extended trips would travel to Rockaway Blvd, NOT Jackson Heights and Woodside. Regular Q52 and Q53 SBS from Jackson Heights and Woodside would operate as is now (in short, the regular Q52 and Q53 trips would operate as is, but with overlay service between Far Rockaway/Riis Park and Rockaway Blvd.

The problem with this is that there’s only a side street for the Q52 and Q53 Select Services to Short turn. Not to mention that (as an occasional rider of the Woodhaven Bus lines) most service north of Rockaway Blvd can be inconsistent. 

3 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The problem with this is that there’s only a side street for the Q52 and Q53 Select Services to Short turn. Not to mention that (as an occasional rider of the Woodhaven Bus lines) most service north of Rockaway Blvd can be inconsistent. 

That may be something that should be looked at if the Q52 and Q53 are to supplement (A) and (H) service. However, I would suggest that the off-peak Q52 and Q53 service be increased as you suggested in your attached Google Docs for a Queens Bus Redesign (I'm surprised that's the only thing you came up with for the Q52 and Q53).

A long term solution could be to try to squeeze out some capacity in the Cranberry Tube and the 8th Avenue Line south of 59th Street to get the (A), (C) and (H) to all operate at 10 trains per hour, giving 30 trains per hour on the Cranberry Tunnel and on both the 8th Avenue and Fulton Express.

2 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

How about this: Weekdays (A) splits RPK/Far Rock. Weekends/late nights (A) runs to Far Rockaway only with the (H)/ (S) running between from Broad to RPK. 

It’s not that hard guys...

Nights, sure, but definitely not weekends...

2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

In addition, with new switches, I would also have the (C) express south of 59th Street, to allow for the replacement of the (M) with the (K) line (running the same route, but via 8th Avenue and the new connection), and replace the (R), whose presence on the QBL impacts reliability of the line, with the (V). This would also boost express service on the 8th Avenue Line south of 59th Street and speed service to Brooklyn. (R) service would again improve with the line going to Astoria, and Broadway, 6th Avenue, and 8th Avenue would be more frequent.

Why are we keeping 59 St interlined? That's a painful junction -- so important is it to ops that B division service is essentially scheduled backwards from it.

12 minutes ago, RR503 said:

Why are we keeping 59 St interlined? That's a painful junction -- so important is it to ops that B division service is essentially scheduled backwards from it.

Because doing otherwise isn't a solution?

Perhaps it would be wise to keep type and distance in mind.

Edited by Lex

10 minutes ago, RR503 said:

There’s also the other option I had in mind, which was to have the (A) and (C) on the express track north of 59th, while having the (B) and (D) on the local track. The (A) and (C) would operate all the way to 207th street via Local north of 145th Street. To substitute for express service, I am also proposing adding limited stop service (again) to the M10 bus, which parallels the Central Park West Corridor.  While this deinterlines the 59th Street Interlocking, the drawback would be that it would cause an increase in commuter times to Concourse Line riders and those coming from Norwood, Woodlawn (Bx16, Bx34), Co-op City, and other neighborhoods in the Northeast Bronx. While the problem could be mitigated by scheduling the lines to be frequent, plus the bus change I proposed, this makes wonder “Is there a significant amount of riders coming from the Concourse Line that the (4) can not accommodate?” Is it significant enough to warrant express service south of 145?

Thats why I proposed adding those switches south mg 59th Street, that way riders in both Washington Hts and the Bronx would get both local and express service, while allowing for (C) to go express south of 59th, which makes room for my proposed (K) route.

10 minutes ago, Lex said:

Because doing otherwise isn't a solution?

Perhaps it would be wise to keep type and distance in mind.

Can’t say I follow how replacing one of the worst merges in the system is “not a solution,” but hey, what do I know, right? 

FWIW, deinterlining 59 doesn’t mean you have to deinterline 145. You could easily send the (C) to 205 to replace the (D) so that both northern branches keep express service.