Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

I have 2 proposals:

A Crosstown (K) line that turns off the g at Bedford norstrand, replacing a 2 track Franklin Avenue shuttle to go down to Brighton.

An E NY/Jamaica Avenue line.

The first proposal is self explanatory

And I don't understand what you mean by your second proposal. can you explain it?

7 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The first proposal is self explanatory

And I don't understand what you mean by your second proposal. can you explain it?

Basically a line that begins at Prospect park, goes along Lincoln Road, then East New York avenue, and switches onto Jamaica avenue to terminate at Jamaica Center, also rerouting the (J)(Z) lines along Jamaica avenue.

Edited by Bklyn Bound 2 Local
incorrect street adjective

Heres a route map of my Jamaica Av-E NY Av line:

Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) 

Sutphin Blvd-JFK  (E)(J)(Z) 

Jamaica-Van Wyck (E)(J)(Z) 

121 St (J)(Z) 

111 St (J)(Z) 

104 St (J)(Z) 

Woodhaven Blvd (J)(Z) 

85 St-Forest Pkwy (J)(Z) 

75 St-Elderts Ln (J)(Z) 

Highland Blvd (J)(Z) 

Miller Av (J)(Z) 

Alabama Av (J)(Z) 

Rockaway Av

Pitkin Av

Buffallo Av

Utica Av

Albany Av

E New York Av

Bedford Av

Prospect Park (B)(Q)(S) 

9 hours ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

Heres a route map of my Jamaica Av-E NY Av line:

Jamaica Center (E)(J)(Z) 

Sutphin Blvd-JFK  (E)(J)(Z) 

Jamaica-Van Wyck (E)(J)(Z) 

121 St (J)(Z) 

111 St (J)(Z) 

104 St (J)(Z) 

Woodhaven Blvd (J)(Z) 

85 St-Forest Pkwy (J)(Z) 

75 St-Elderts Ln (J)(Z) 

Highland Blvd (J)(Z) 

Miller Av (J)(Z) 

Alabama Av (J)(Z) 

Rockaway Av

Pitkin Av

Buffallo Av

Utica Av

Albany Av

E New York Av

Bedford Av

Prospect Park (B)(Q)(S) 

This is a nice idea.  I felt that part of this line could be used as an extension of the IRT line.  

(2) to Brooklyn College (with possible extension down to Kings Plaza.

(3) to New Lots

(4) to Broadway Junction

(5) down Utica Ave.

Once at Broadway Junction, (4) can provide added connections for the trains that are there.  For the inbound commute, some travelers on the (A)(C)(L)(J)(Z) could transfer and thereby make their lines less crowded.

To take it one step further, it would be nice to have an express subway that connects Jamaica-Broadway junction- Flatbush/Atlantic-Lower Manhattan-Midtown.  Ideally, this should be an LIRR route connecting to Downtown and Grand Central via Brooklyn.  But to the extent that it is not feasible given costs, then have the formerly Lefferts (A) trains run on the LIRR Atlantic branch east of Pennsylvania Avenue to Jamaica.  [The Rockaway (A) will also run on the former LIRR but then make a new transfer to the Rockaway line in Ozone Park.]   (4)  will take over the Pitkin/Liberty routing (at IRT scale) to Lefferts.

The idea is that you now have an express line from Eastern Queens - Jamaica - Broadway Junction and then continuing express along the (A) into Manhattan.  No stops between Jamaica and Broadway Junction to really speed up trips to/from the east.  The Rockaway trains can also  take advantage of this routing, no stops between Broadway Junction and Aqueduct. 

The Lefferts passengers along the Pitkin/Liberty line will be moved to (4) service to accommodate the upgrading of the Rockaway and Jamaica lines.  They will still have express service, but along Eastern Parkway instead of Fulton.

Yes, I know that IRT cars are narrower, so there will be more crowding, but this seems a feasible way to accommodate Jamaica-Downtown Brooklyn traffic that will explode with an express line at subway fares.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:43 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

Both are duplicated heavily by the Metro North Harlem Line, and I don’t know about you but there is opportunity to use the existing line to bring transit service in the area. Currently, the Harlem Line stops at Melrose at 162nd Street, Tremont at Tremont Avenue, Fordham at Fordham Road, Botanical Gardens at Bedford Park Blvd, Willaiamsbridge at Gun Hill Road, Woodlawn at 233rd Street, and Wakefield at 241st Street. There are some neighborhoods that are bypassed at all due to no station there and others see paltry headways. Perhaps if stations were build in Morrisania at 168th Street, Claremont at Claremont Pkwy, Belmont at either East 180th or 183rd Street, and Norwood at 204th Street (all holding 8-car trains), rearrange Harlem Line service so that there would be a local train service between Mount Vernon West and Grand Central (making all stops while service to Westchester and beyond would go express to Mount Vernon West (as is the case sometimes), and even lower the Metro North fare within the city limits to $2.75, you could have expanded service within the 3rd/Webster Avenue corridor all for a fraction of the cost of building a new subway line. The Bronx Metro North stations could see increased service.

Meanwhile, an ideal Bronx subway Line for SAS (T) service should be along Prospect and Crotona Avenues. The corridor is service by the Bx17 bus and is currently has no nearby subway service (at least on the northern end). Having the SAS routed via Crotona Avenue could help bring better access to the Bronx Zoo and even to the Little Italy neighborhood as a whole.

The problem with putting service on Crotona/Prospect is that below Longwood Av the entire walkshed would be covered by the (2)(5)(6), between Longwood and Freeman half the walkshed is duplicated by the (2)(5), half the walkshed above 180 St is a park, and there's not really a good setup to make bus connections at Crotona/Fordham. On 3 Av, on the other hand, you're 1/2-3/4 of a mile from the (B)(D) the whole way, and you get distance from the (2)(5) pretty quickly (2/3 of a mile by 167 St, increasing to about a mile by Tremont Av), so most of the walkshed is unique, it would fill the gap between the (4)(B)(D) and the (2)(5), and Fordham Plaza is naturally a good spot for an interim terminal because of the bus and commuter rail connections. I'd build it out to there first, then extend it out to Co-Op City via Norwood-205 St, Williamsbridge, and Gun Hill Rd; that would do an even better job of relieving the (5), since anyone going to the East Side from Wakefield, Williamsbridge, or Baychester could just transfer to the (T) on Gun Hill. 

On 7/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, CenSin said:

----------

I was reading the LGA Access Improvement Project documents and came across this proposal:

It’s interesting, but if this had any remote chance of being built as proposed, it would essentially turn the 36 Street local tracks into another bottleneck for Queens Boulevard. The split should—instead—start as far west as Court Square as an extension of the (G) to a lower level of Queens Plaza, thereby avoiding any reduction in Queens Boulevard capacity. The (G) dead-ends at Court Square anyway, so with a connection to the (E)(M)(R) at Queens Plaza, this would—at the very least—make it more useful to ordinary passengers.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:21 PM, Bay Ridge Express said:

Or just let the (N)(W) do their thing... this is basically the same proposal but on Steinway instead of 31. Also, extending the (N)(W) could increase terminal capacity and there wouldn't be any bottlenecks. Plus, more people would be willing to ride the Broadway line than the (G) especially if you're going to have airport connectivity.

Both of these are better ideas than Cuomo’s/the PA’s AirTrain, which has just as much of a chance of getting tied up in court. Though I do have to agree that extending the (G) to LGA isn’t much better than an AirTrain, because the (G) would still require a transfer for a clear majority of riders. A subway extension via Steinway and Astoria Blvd, should be with either the (M) or (R), with Woodhaven Blvd being converted into an express station, so that the line that remains on Queens Blvd doesn’t get overwhelmed by riders boarding between 67th Avenue and Elmhurst Avenue. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

14 hours ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

I have 2 proposals:

A Crosstown (K) line that turns off the g at Bedford norstrand, replacing a 2 track Franklin Avenue shuttle to go down to Brighton.

An E NY/Jamaica Avenue line.

I like your first proposal, though I'd name it the X for Crosstown. It would make all (G) stops to Bedford-Nostrand Avenues before getting onto the route of the former Franklin Shuttle to the (B) and (Q) trains at Prospect Park. From there it would make all local stops to Brighton Beach.

My proposed service plan for the X is as follows:

Weekdays: Court Square to Brighton Beach

Late nights and weekends: Bedford-Nostrand Avenues to Prospect Park

So I'm not really sure about how Roosevelt Avenue Upper is laid out. But how feasible would it be to move the local tracks up one level to reduce platform crowding?

Basically, from top to bottom

• (7) local
  • (M)(R) island platform
  • mezzanine
  • (E)(F) side platforms (the existing local tracks would be paved over)

The idea would be similar to 34-Penn (both of them), where the local and express trains are separated to reduce platform congestion at a major transfer point.

9 hours ago, Armandito said:

I like your first proposal, though I'd name it the X for Crosstown. It would make all (G) stops to Bedford-Nostrand Avenues before getting onto the route of the former Franklin Shuttle to the (B) and (Q) trains at Prospect Park. From there it would make all local stops to Brighton Beach.

My proposed service plan for the X is as follows:

Weekdays: Court Square to Brighton Beach

Late nights and weekends: Bedford-Nostrand Avenues to Prospect Park

https://jspaint.app/#local:8c49a1719a1e8

9 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

So I'm not really sure about how Roosevelt Avenue Upper is laid out. But how feasible would it be to move the local tracks up one level to reduce platform crowding?

Basically, from top to bottom

• (7) local
  • (M)(R) island platform
  • mezzanine
  • (E)(F) side platforms (the existing local tracks would be paved over)

The idea would be similar to 34-Penn (both of them), where the local and express trains are separated to reduce platform congestion at a major transfer point.

The thing about the upper level Roosevelt Platform is on the same level as the Mezzanine. If you go to the 75th Street Entrance and walk down a ramp. Before you reach the easternmost staircase that leads to the Forest Hills/Jamaica Bound Platform, there will be a door to your blocked by a metal gate. That gate leads right to the "incomplete" upper level which is currently an office for NYPD. So, In order to bring the (M) and (R) to that abandoned upper level, you'd have to reconfigure a majority the mezzanine to the point where I think would affect the surface level. So to answer your question, I don't think its feasible, but this seems like something worth looking into.

I have some proposals.

Extending the (D) to Co-Op City. (Not new) 

Extending the Frankilin Avenue (S) to connect with the (G) (Not new)

Cutting the (R) to Whitehall Street, replacing Bay Ridge service with the (J) (Not new) 

A Fordham Road - 207th Street (S) streetcar from Co-Op City to 207th Street (A), to reduce bus traffic. 

3 hours ago, danig1220 said:

I have some proposals.

Extending the (D) to Co-Op City. (Not new) 

Extending the Frankilin Avenue (S) to connect with the (G) (Not new)

Cutting the (R) to Whitehall Street, replacing Bay Ridge service with the (J) (Not new) 

A Fordham Road - 207th Street (S) streetcar from Co-Op City to 207th Street (A), to reduce bus traffic. 

Interesting ideas but you cant cut the R from Bay Ridge since a good of amount of riders would want to travel to midtown (and the J is already pretty long) but some other service to supplement the 4th avenue local would be helpful. 

Most Midtown-bound (R) riders ditch the (R) in favor of the (D) or (N) at the nearest 4th Avenue express station. Or the (2)(3)(4) or (5) at Atlantic. The (R) however does have a good connection to the Staten Island Ferry at Whitehall, which is good for Ferry riders headed to Downtown Brooklyn. 

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

35 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

An idea to replace the southern section of the (R) could be to extend the SAS (T) line south from Hanover Square to Whitehall St with a connection to the Montague St Tunnel.

Not a great idea. Learned that lesson the hard way by learning that most (R) customers prefer Midtown service than a line along Second Avenue.

1 hour ago, Bklyn Bound 2 Local said:

It supposed to lead to a track map 😕

You might want to save the file in a different format so the track map could be visible.

5 hours ago, Armandito said:

Nah, such a line would take away capacity from the (Q). In my Franklin Line extensions, I considered the following: 

Making the shuttle a two track instead of one track line? (would really only be useful if the route connected with the (G)), extending the line to the Bedford-Nostrand Avs (G) station (where it can interchange onto the (G) if warranted), continue on Kosciuszko St to connect with the (J)(Z), and then lastly go under Myrtle Av to connect with the (L)(M) at Wyckoff. However, it should begin at Prospect Park.

36 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Nah, such a line would take away capacity from the (Q). In my Franklin Line extensions, I considered the following: 

Making the shuttle a two track instead of one track line? (would really only be useful if the route connected with the (G)), extending the line to the Bedford-Nostrand Avs (G) station (where it can interchange onto the (G) if warranted), continue on Kosciuszko St to connect with the (J)(Z), and then lastly go under Myrtle Av to connect with the (L)(M) at Wyckoff. However, it should begin at Prospect Park.

I'm sure there's still capacity left over on the Brighton to accommodate a second local service. After all, the (Q) operates roughly every 6 minutes during rush hours.

14 hours ago, Armandito said:

Not a great idea. Learned that lesson the hard way by learning that most (R) customers prefer Midtown service than a line along Second Avenue.

14 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

And those (R) customers usually transfer to the (D) or (N) 

Given that the Manhattan Bridge saves so much time and distance, nobody on the 4th Ave local bound for Canal Street (or any station to the north of there) would stay on the (R) but would transfer to (D) or (N) at first opportunity.  This is one reason why the Montague tunnel closing was not so bad, most of the riders transferred to bridge trains anyway.

Riders boarding from Downtown Brooklyn may want to go to Midtown, but as others said, they have the option of the IRT lines within reasonable walking distance.

For 4th Ave local riders heading to Downtown, it remains to be seen whether the (R) line or the (J) line is better.  (J) would have more connections (Fulton, Chambers) and would seems to service the center (and Centre) of Lower Manhattan.  (R) does service the ferry terminal to SI.  Ideally, service can be expanded on the 4th Ave local to service both lines - an (R) for the Broadway local and perhaps a SAS service that takes over the Nassau line from the (J) 

19 hours ago, Armandito said:

Thank you for the map.  I actually like this, the routing for this is nearly a straight line.,  And there is capacity along the Brighton line to accommodate an additional train, since it is 4 tracks.  So I see this line as being supplemental to existing Brighton service.

Another benefit is that it will necessarily reduce (G) service on the Culver line to allow more room for (F) [and maybe even some (F) express trains].