Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

1 hour ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Looking at the track map for that just makes me sad; it would make far more sense to have the Muni level have four tracks; trains on the outer tracks could turn at a loop that drops a level down between the BART tracks and tracks to the eastern portal, while trains on the inner tracks would continue on to the T third St. Alternately, that loop could also have connections to a few storage tracks under Bierman Park if you wanted to be able to lay trains up there.

Embarcadero precedes the Muni extension to 4th and King. The problem was that the extension did not separate new through tracks from the existing terminating tracks.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Embarcadero precedes the Muni extension to 4th and King. The problem was that the extension did not separate new through tracks from the existing terminating tracks.

19 hours ago, engineerboy6561 said:

Looking at the track map for that just makes me sad; it would make far more sense to have the Muni level have four tracks; trains on the outer tracks could turn at a loop that drops a level down between the BART tracks and tracks to the eastern portal, while trains on the inner tracks would continue on to the T third St. Alternately, that loop could also have connections to a few storage tracks under Bierman Park if you wanted to be able to lay trains up there.

Agreed here. Maybe one alternative could have been to rebuild the upper level at Embarcadero with two outer tracks for the N/T extension to 4th and King, while J, L and M still terminated on the original (middle) tracks. The current setup is definitely a bad one. I remember getting delayed entering Embarcadero due to trains reversing there when I was there in 2011.

I wasn't sure how this fits within the context of this board, but since I wanted to talk ideas I'll place it here: 

http://www.ridersny.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/doomsday-on-the-mta-compressed.pdf

Riders Alliance released a "Doomsday Map" of the subway w/o another federal bailout. While a sad and morbid thought amongst us fans of the subway, it did get me thinking: 

If I was MTA Chairman, what would I cut? 

Personally, this map is bogus. Here's my thoughts:

1) Right off the bat, anything on the IRT (except the (S) of course) would be totally untouchable. The only thing maybe would be getting rid of the Dyre Ave line and making the (5) a rush hour/midday supplement to the (2)(4)

2) The (E) having the QB Express all to itself is intriguing. I'd close down the (A)(C) entirely and just have the (E) run to Lefferts/Far Rock, with the (F) being the Fulton Local to Euclid. Both would run down 53rd St. The CPW, Concourse, Culver, 63rd Street, and Inwood-207th St lines would all be shut down.

3) Broadway would have just the (N)(Q), the (N) runs from Forest Hills to Bay Ridge via QB Local, Broadway Local, Lower Manhattan, 4th Ave Local and the (Q) runs Astoria, 59th St, Broadway express/Bridge, Brighton Line (rush hour express <Q> offered). Both the Sea Beach and SAS are abandoned. 

4) The (D), with no where to go above Midtown, would turn around at Bryant Park-42nd St after coming from Coney Island via West End (No changes). 

5) The (G)(J)(M)(Z) are all goners. 

There, that's your doomsday subway....

42 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

http://www.ridersny.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/doomsday-on-the-mta-compressed.pdf

Riders Alliance released a "Doomsday Map" of the subway w/o another federal bailout. While a sad and morbid thought amongst us fans of the subway, it did get me thinking: 

This looks WAYYY too exaggerated. I personally thought that, at most, if they had to cut services, the whole thing would end up looking like the overnight map. This, however, straight up just gets rid of key trunk lines. I would say if you have to get rid of lines (meaning no service passing by whatsoever), at least just get rid of those that are adjacent together (like the (4)(5) and (J)(Z) in Manhattan e.g. keep the (4)(5) and run the (J)(Z) Jamaica-Canal)

Right off the bat, anything on the IRT (except the (S) of course) would be totally untouchable

Definitely, people literally cannot survive without their :15x15_px_01::15x15_px_02:(3).

And getting rid of the (7)? Giant no.

The (D), with no where to go above Midtown, would turn around at Bryant Park-42nd St after coming from Coney Island via West End (No changes)

Yea, you need the (D) or (F) in Brooklyn otherwise that whole area is just a literal transit desert.

Ngl, I think the (MTA) would rather raise the fare to $9 than implement this.

I'd also be interested in seeing how Riders Alliance thinks they could cut the buses...

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

I wasn't sure how this fits within the context of this board, but since I wanted to talk ideas I'll place it here: 

Personally, this map is bogus. 

This is really overkill. Here’s my version of a Doomsday map:

(1)(4)(6)(7) - Untouched. 

I’d keep the (2) in place of the (5) mainly cause White Plains is more popular than Dyre and you can’t terminate trains at Franklin unless you deadhead them to Livonia or something. 

(A) - No Rockaway Service (use Q52/53) All service goes to Lefferts. Trains will run Local to Compensate the loss of (C) Service. 

(D) - 145th Street-Coney Island via West End. (Days only) dead head runs to Concourse take place. For service to Concourse take the (4) 

(F) runs Local in Queens alongside a truncated (R) 

(E)(L)(Q) are untouched. 

(N) - Local Service in Manhattan. 

(R) - Truncated to Whitehall. 

(3)(5)(B)(C)(G)(J)(M)(W)(Z) and all (S) Shuttles are eliminated. 

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

1 hour ago, shiznit1987 said:

Personally, this map is bogus. Here's my thoughts:

1) Right off the bat, anything on the IRT (except the (S) of course) would be totally untouchable. The only thing maybe would be getting rid of the Dyre Ave line and making the (5) a rush hour/midday supplement to the (2)(4)

2) The (E) having the QB Express all to itself is intriguing. I'd close down the (A)(C) entirely and just have the (E) run to Lefferts/Far Rock, with the (F) being the Fulton Local to Euclid. Both would run down 53rd St. The CPW, Concourse, Culver, 63rd Street, and Inwood-207th St lines would all be shut down.

3) Broadway would have just the (N)(Q), the (N) runs from Forest Hills to Bay Ridge via QB Local, Broadway Local, Lower Manhattan, 4th Ave Local and the (Q) runs Astoria, 59th St, Broadway express/Bridge, Brighton Line (rush hour express <Q> offered). Both the Sea Beach and SAS are abandoned. 

4) The (D), with no where to go above Midtown, would turn around at Bryant Park-42nd St after coming from Coney Island via West End (No changes). 

5) The (G)(J)(M)(Z) are all goners. 

There, that's your doomsday subway....

Its mostly just for the visuals. Its designed to show how severe this upcoming budget shortfall will be. Remember in 2010, those custs only saved roughly 400-500 million.

I think subways will come out fine in the end, with further frequency reductions. Service was running during the weekend on most route every 6-8 minutes. That was cut to every 10 minutes in 2010. it probably go to every 15 min, if things really go south. Some express will probably go local and some locals will be discontinued outside of peak periods.

Buses however will be slaughtered. Express bus will probably be cut significantly. Probably included is major frequency and span reductions.

11 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Its mostly just for the visuals. Its designed to show how severe this upcoming budget shortfall will be. Remember in 2010, those custs only saved roughly 400-500 million.

I think subways will come out fine in the end, with further frequency reductions. Service was running during the weekend on most route every 6-8 minutes. That was cut to every 10 minutes in 2010. it probably go to every 15 min, if things really go south. Some express will probably go local and some locals will be discontinued outside of peak periods.

Buses however will be slaughtered. Express bus will probably be cut significantly. Probably included is major frequency and span reductions.

I enjoy your optimism. You calmed me down.

26 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I’d keep the (2) in place of the (5) mainly cause White Plains is more popular than Dyre and you can’t terminate trains at Franklin unless you deadhead them to Livonia or something. 

(A) - No Rockaway Service (use Q52/53) All service goes to Lefferts. Trains will run Local to Compensate the loss of (C) Service. 

(D) - 145th Street-Coney Island via West End. (Days only) dead head runs to Concourse take place. For service to Concourse take the (4) 

(E)(L)(Q) are untouched. 

If I were to cut service on the subway it would probably be (these are not ideal cuts at all)

(1) Service will be cut on weekend  to once every 15 minutes. Rush hour service will be run at once every 5 minutes

(2) Service will be rerouted and extended to New Lots Avenue. On Weekend service trains will run local along 7th Avenue. Service will operate every 15 minutes during weekends and every 8 minutes during rush hours

(3) Service will operate rush hours only between Utica Ave and 148th St every 8 minutes

(4) Service will be rerouted into Flatbush Avenue to replace (2) . 

(5) Service will no longer operate south of East 180th St. Service will operate every 15 minutes all time except nights and weekend where it would operate every 30 minutes

(6) Service during rush hours extended to Bowling Green. (6) and <6> will be combined and operate at a lower frequency. Parkchester short turns will be maintained. Some trains will also terminate there on weekends as well.

(7) Service combined with <7> at a slighly reduced frequency.  Some trains to/from Manhattan will terminate/orginate at 74th St-Broadway

(A) Rockaway Park put ins eliminated. Outside of rush hours, train will make all local stops.to Lefferts Blvd every 16 minutes. Service to Far Rockaway eliminated on weekends. Transfer to Q52/53

(B)  Service is eliminated

(C) - Service will be eliminated outside of rush hours

(D) Service will operate local in the Bronx. Some northbound service will now short turn at 145th St. On weekends trains will run every 16 minutes and run local in Brooklyn

(E) Service will operate local in Queens and rerouted to Jamaica-179th Street. 

(F) Service will be rerouted to Jamaica Center. Half of all weekend service will terminate at Church Ave

(G) Service will terminate at Smith-9 St. Service will operate every 20 minutes all times. Short turns will operate between Bed-Nos to Court Sq every 20 minutes

J/Z- Skip Stop eliminated. Service runs every 10 minutes rush hours and 20 minutes outside of rush hours

(L) Half of the service will terminate at Myrtle-Wyckoff and/or Broadway Junction

(M) Service will end at Myrtle Ave all time. Service will be operated every 20 minutes

(N) Service will run local in Manhattan and Brooklyn. On weekend trains will operate every 16 minutes

(Q) Service will run local in Manhattan on weekends. On weekends trains will operate every 16 minutes

(R) Service will terminate at 36th St

(W) Service will be eliminated

(S) Times Square Shuttle discontinued. Rockaway/Franklin Shuttle will run with one train. Weekend service on the Fraklin Shuttle will be discontinued

(T) Haha Service eliminated between 125th St and Hanover Square

There would also be adjustments to service guidelines that would permit service frequencies greater than every 20 minutes

Overall, lots of service reductions. There will be severe overcrowding in some segments. These cuts are mostly not enough as well but its all I can think of without compromising the entire subway system

Some form of OPTO may also need to be implemented

An interesting topic.  Here is my ultimate doomsday scenario:

(1) Reduced service frequencies.  No service south of 14th Street.

(2) Reduced service frequencies.  No service south of Times Square.

(3) Eliminated.

(4) Reduced service frequencies.  Local service in Brooklyn terminating at Flatbush Ave.

(5) Reduced service frequencies.  Service from both White Plains and Dyre Ave maintained.  Local service in Brooklyn terminating at New Lots.

(6) Reduced service frequencies.  <6> eliminated.  Otherwise unchanged.

(7) Reduced service frequencies. <7> eliminated.  Otherwise unchanged.

(A) Reduced service frequencies.  Runs local in Brooklyn.  Service to Far Rockaway.  Lefferts and Rockaway Park served by buses.

(B) Eliminated.

(C) Reduced service frequencies.  Concourse local run at all times, CPW local, 8th Ave local.  South of Jay Street, (C) will service the Culver line.

(D) Eliminated.

(E) Reduced service frequencies.  Otherwise unchanged.

(F) Eliminated.

(G) Eliminated.

(J) Reduced service frequencies.  No service south of Chambers.  No skip stop service.

(L) Reduced service frequencies.  Half of rush hour trains will short turn at Myrtle/Wyckoff.

(M) Reduced service frequencies.  No service to Midtown, terminates at Chambers.  

(N) Reduced service frequencies. From 179th, QBL express service, 63rd street tunnel, Broadway express to West End line. 

(Q) Reduced service frequencies.  Otherwise unchanged.

(R) Reduced service frequencies.  From Forest Hills, QBL local service, 60th street tunnel, Broadway local to Sea Beach line. Service to Bay Ridge via bus.

(S) All shuttles eliminated.

(W) Reduced service frequencies.  Astoria - Broadway local service terminating at Whitehall.

(Z) Eliminated.

To further account for budget decreases, certain stations on each remaining line will be shut entirely, and others will be shut during off-peak hours.  Walk to nearest open station.

11 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

11 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

Personally, this map is bogus.

It’s bogus because they only hit the delete button on some colored lines while leaving a lot of other things on the map. The <6> and (S) are running, but the (7)—one of the busiest lines—isn’t! The (C) duplicates the (A). The (W) duplicates the (N). The Rockaways—the lowest ridership area—is still being served.

But other than that a few improvements here and there would make the scenario more believable. The (E), for example, might serve both Hillside and Archer Avenues (forked in Queens). The (C) might return to Grand Concourse. The (4) might be extended to cover the loss of (3) service in Brooklyn.

4 hours ago, CenSin said:

It’s bogus because they only hit the delete button on some colored lines while leaving a lot of other things on the map. The <6> and (S) are running, but the (7)—one of the busiest lines—isn’t! The (C) duplicates the (A). The (W) duplicates the (N). The Rockaways—the lowest ridership area—is still being served.

But other than that a few improvements here and there would make the scenario more believable. The (E), for example, might serve both Hillside and Archer Avenues (forked in Queens). The (C) might return to Grand Concourse. The (4) might be extended to cover the loss of (3) service in Brooklyn.

What would we do to the Rockaways?

Do we demolish it? Or do we leave it until the MTA recieves more funding?

4 hours ago, mrsman said:

(3) Eliminated.

(4) Reduced service frequencies.  Local service in Brooklyn terminating at Flatbush Ave.

(5) Reduced service frequencies.  Service from both White Plains and Dyre Ave maintained.  Local service in Brooklyn terminating at New Lots.

(A) Reduced service frequencies.  Runs local in Brooklyn.  Service to Far Rockaway.  Lefferts and Rockaway Park served by buses.

(B) Eliminated.

(C) Reduced service frequencies.  Concourse local run at all times, CPW local, 8th Ave local.  South of Jay Street, (C) will service the Culver line.

(D) Eliminated.

(F) Eliminated.

(G) Eliminated.

(J) Reduced service frequencies.  No service south of Chambers.  No skip stop service.

(L) Reduced service frequencies.  Half of rush hour trains will short turn at Myrtle/Wyckoff.

(M) Reduced service frequencies.  No service to Midtown, terminates at Chambers.  

(N) Reduced service frequencies. From 179th, QBL express service, 63rd street tunnel, Broadway express to West End line. 

(R) Reduced service frequencies.  From Forest Hills, QBL local service, 60th street tunnel, Broadway local to Sea Beach line. Service to Bay Ridge via bus.

(W) Reduced service frequencies.  Astoria - Broadway local service terminating at Whitehall.

(Z) Eliminated.

To further account for budget decreases, certain stations on each remaining line will be shut entirely, and others will be shut during off-peak hours.  Walk to nearest open station.

Keep the (D) cut it back to 34th Street, and allow to (N) to go via West End and Sea Beach or the (R) to go via Bay Ridge and Sea Beach. Eliminate the (W) <6> (7X). reroute the (F) to go via Crosstown. 

11 hours ago, mrsman said:

(3) Eliminated.

(B) Eliminated.

(D) Eliminated.

(F) Eliminated.

(G) Eliminated.

(Z) Eliminated.

Overall, it’s plausible that a “doomsday” service plan might look something like this. But I’d like to suggest some tweaks to it:

- I’d have the (5) run solely from Dyre. With the (2) still on White Plains Road, the peak direction WPR <5> would be a pretty easy cut (it was suspended during “Essential Service” phase).

- I’d have the (A) go to Lefferts because that’s the busier branch and bustitute the Rockaways services.

- I’d keep the (D) and run it as a 6th Avenue local starting at 57th/6th, then via its current route after West 4th (the (B) ran this same service pattern from 1968-86).

- I’d also keep the (F) as a Queens-Manhattan service, terminating either at 34th St or 2nd Avenue. It would run express in Queens alongside the (E). Both lines’ northern terminals would be the same as now.

- I’d run the (N) as the QB local to/from 71st Ave, then via 63rd St tunnel, Broadway Express and the Manhattan Bridge. Then in Brooklyn, I’d have the (N) run local to/from Bay Ridge. 

- I’d run the (R) to/from Astoria to Stillwell via 60th, Broadway Local and Montague. Once in Brooklyn, the (R) would switch to the 4th Avenue express tracks and run to/from Stillwell via the Sea Beach Line (the (N) ran this same service pattern from 1994-2001). 

- The (W) would be discontinued.

I agree with the changes to the other services. Though I really, really hope it doesn’t have to come to this.

6 hours ago, danig1220 said:

Keep the (D) cut it back to 34th Street, and allow to (N) to go via West End and Sea Beach or the (R) to go via Bay Ridge and Sea Beach. Eliminate the (W) <6> (7X). reroute the (F) to go via Crosstown. 

I’d prefer the (D) to go a bit further north to 57th because Rockefeller Center will eventually become bustling again and I think it’s too much of major destination to completely eliminate subway service to, even if 49th St on the (R) isn’t that far away. And having the (D) in Brooklyn would allow the (N) and (R) to each operate only on one branch off of 4th Avenue, instead of forking.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
Clarity

Alright, this is admittedly stupid, but here's my idea (no tph metrics, but I'd imagine that one of the services that run on trunk lines would have their frequency intact if all other services on that line were to be eliminated):

(A) Far Rockaway/Ozone Park-Inwood. All local service.

(B) Eliminated, use (A)(D)(Q)(4) 

(C) Eliminated, use (A).

(D) Coney Island-Columbus Circle, use (A)(4) for service north of Columbus Circle.

(E) Anywhere in Midtown (42/50/7 Av)-Jamaica Center. All local service. Use (A) for Downtown service.

(F) Coney Island-Queensbridge, use (E) for Queens Blvd service.

(G) Smith-9 Sts-Court Sq, use (F) for service to Church Av.

(J) Unchanged (other than no Myrtle-Marcy express runs).

(L) Unchanged.

(M) Myrtle Av-Metropolitan Av, use (E)(F)(J).

(N) Coney Island-Astoria. All local service (including Lower Manhattan).

(Q) Unchanged.

(R) 95 St-59 or 36 St, use (E)(N).

(S) Rockaway Beach: eliminated, use Q53; 42 St: eliminated, use (7) , Franklin Av: unchanged.

(W) Eliminated (duh), use (N).

(Z) Eliminated (duh), use (J).

(1) Unchanged.

(2) Unchanged.

(3) Eliminated, use (2)(8).

(4) Split into two sections: one is called the (8) and runs between Atlantic Av and New Lots Av, the other is designated as the regular (4) and runs between 14 St and Woodlawn, use (J)(N)(Q) for service in between. All local service.

(5) E 180 St-Dyre Av, use (J)(N)(2)(4).

(6) 125 St-Parkchester, use (J)(N)(4) for service south of 125 St. <6> eliminated.

(7) Unchanged except for elimination of the <7>.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

On 4/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, mrsman said:

Replying to CenSin's post on DOOMSDAY service:

I like this, but I would go even further for bare bones.  I would think that some stations would have to be elminated (as is being done in Philly and Washington DC).  Where stations are closely spaced, people may have to walk to the next station for service.

As far as service, I'm draconian.

(1) No service south of 34th.  See next line.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(2) Local service in Manhattan, and no service south of 34th, transfer to (A) or (D) for service further south in Manhattan.  Use (A) or (D) or (7) to transfer to (4)(6) for Brooklyn IRT.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(3) eliminated.  148th and 145th customers need to walk to 135th/Lenox

(4) Local service, extended to New Lots.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(5) Dyre Ave shuttle.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(6) Service extended into Brooklyn serving local stops to Flatbush Ave/Brooklyn College.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(7) Local service.  No (S) .  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(A) Inwood to Far Rockaway along the local line.  No service to Lefferts.  Shuttle to Rockaway Park.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(B) Eliminated.

(C) Eliminated.

(D) Bronx to West End line along the local lines but using Manhattan Bridge.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(E) WTC to Jamaica Center along the local lines.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(F) Full line along the local lines, CI to 179.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(G) Smith/9th to Court Square.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(J) Jamaica Center to Fulton St.  (Trains terminate at Broad, but station is closed to passengers).  I want to preserve the transfer to (A) .  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(L) Local service.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(M) Myrtle Ave shuttle.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(N) Full length of the line.  Express in Manhattan.  (See next line).  Local service in Brooklyn. via Manhattan Bridge.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(Q) Full length of the line.  Express in Manhattan.  All local stations on the Broadway BMT to be closed.  Use (4)(6) for service in the area between Union Square and Atlantic, including Financail District and Downtown Brooklyn.  Customers wanting service at 23, 28, or 49 must walk to another nearby station.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(R) Shuttle from 36St to Bay Ridge.  Some stations closed and people will walk to the next one.

(S) Franklin shuttle closed.

(W) eliminated.

(Z) eliminated.

Basically, we are elminating several redundant stations and forcing people to walk.  The 7th Ave line is very close to 6th and 8th Ave services in Manhattan and the (A) can be used for service to Lower Manhattan to connect to Lexington trains for continuing service to Brooklyn.

The Broadway BMT south of 14th is also largely redundant in Manhattan, so most stations are eliminated.  Trains provide continuing service in order to connect to 2nd Ave, Astoria, and the Brooklyn services.  Use Lexington services to reach the local stations that are skipped.  I was also considering having N and Q Brooklyn service run as 6th Ave services (V and B) that would run to 2nd Ave and 145th St respectively, and eliminating the Broadway BMT entirely, other than a Herald Square to Astoria "shuttle".  But I felt that doing this would be more reasonable.

In April, I posted the above as a doomsday scenario at the beginning of the COVID crisis.  My point wasn't to address a full scale collapse of the system as we are discussing now, but rather to conserve resources to weather the storm.  My focus was more on eliminating individual stations, rather than eliminating whole lines, with the idea that every neighborhood would still basically get service, even if they had to walk a little further to get it.  The inspiration for the above was that Philly and DC closed a few stations in their systems in order to conserve resources.  If you close 20% of the stations, you don't need to clean them on a regular basis and the staffing needed would be minimal.  It's far less of a sacrifice then my more recent post, but it's an interesting comparison when looking more broadly at doomsday scenarios as the board is currently doing.

3 hours ago, mrsman said:

My focus was more on eliminating individual stations, rather than eliminating whole lines, with the idea that every neighborhood would still basically get service, even if they had to walk a little further to get it.  The inspiration for the above was that Philly and DC closed a few stations in their systems in order to conserve resources.  If you close 20% of the stations, you don't need to clean them on a regular basis and the staffing needed would be minimal.

I could live with that. I’m sure much of the closely spaced stations could close without incident.

16 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Overall, it’s plausible that a “doomsday” service plan might look something like this. But I’d like to suggest some tweaks to it:

- I’d have the (5) run solely from Dyre. With the (2) still on White Plains Road, the peak direction WPR <5> would be a pretty easy cut (it was suspended during “Essential Service” phase).

- I’d have the (A) go to Lefferts because that’s the busier branch and bustitute the Rockaways services.

- I’d keep the (D) and run it as a 6th Avenue local starting at 57th/6th, then via its current route after West 4th (the (B) ran this same service pattern from 1968-86).

- I’d also keep the (F) as a Queens-Manhattan service, terminating either at 34th St or 2nd Avenue. It would run express in Queens alongside the (E). Both lines’ northern terminals would be the same as now.

- I’d run the (N) as the QB local to/from 71st Ave, then via 63rd St tunnel, Broadway Express and the Manhattan Bridge. Then in Brooklyn, I’d have the (N) run local to/from Bay Ridge. 

- I’d run the (R) to/from Astoria to Stillwell via 60th, Broadway Local and Montague. Once in Brooklyn, the (R) would switch to the 4th Avenue express tracks and run to/from Stillwell via the Sea Beach Line (the (N) ran this same service pattern from 1994-2001). 

- The (W) would be discontinued.

I agree with the changes to the other services. Though I really, really hope it doesn’t have to come to this.

I’d prefer the (D) to go a bit further north to 57th because Rockefeller Center will eventually become bustling again and I think it’s too much of major destination to completely eliminate subway service to, even if 49th St on the (R) isn’t that far away. And having the (D) in Brooklyn would allow the (N) and (R) to each operate only on one branch off of 4th Avenue, instead of forking.

I was still considering the (D) going to The Bronx.

I see a flurry of proposals, but what are the criteria for keeping a station/line either in or out of service?

Station closure criteria:

• not a terminal and not a station with crew quarters and not an accessible station and not an express station and
    • below median ridership in 2019 or
    • has alternative subway stations within 0.5 mile radius and not a major transfer opportunity to/from another subway or bus route

Line closure criteria:

• below median ridership in 2019 (e.g.: Rockaways) or
  • has parallel alternative within 1 mile radius (e.g.: Grand Concourse, 8 Avenue) and not a through line (e.g.: Nassau Street, Hillside Avenue)

Line closure rules apply first before station closure rules. Thus if a line is closed, the affected stations would be closed whether they meet the criteria or not. Though line closures criteria are harder to meet.

7 hours ago, mrsman said:

If you close 20% of the stations, you don't need to clean them on a regular basis and the staffing needed would be minimal.  It's far less of a sacrifice then my more recent post, but it's an interesting comparison when looking more broadly at doomsday scenarios as the board is currently doing.

The current problem is that the MTA stations were never designed to be closed, unlike Philly or DC which have regular night closures anyways.

Installing gates and the like is a capital expenditure which we also don't have money for, and staffing police at stations to prevent trespass costs more money than keeping stations open.

8 hours ago, CenSin said:

I see a flurry of proposals, but what are the criteria for keeping a station/line either in or out of service?

Station closure criteria:

• not a terminal and not a station with crew quarters and not an accessible station and not an express station and
  • below median ridership in 2019 or

I hadn't even considered closing stations, but it's certainly interesting... some obvious ones come to mind, like Aqueduct Racetrack on the (A), Fulton St on the (G) (too close to Lafayette Av (C)) and potentially even Bergen St on the (2)(3) (close to both 7 Av and Atlantic Av).

• has alternative subway stations within 0.5 mile radius and not a major transfer opportunity to/from another subway or bus route

Line closure criteria:

• below median ridership in 2019 (e.g.: Rockaways) or
  • has parallel alternative within 1 mile radius (e.g.: Grand Concourse, 8 Avenue) and not a through line (e.g.: Nassau Street, Hillside Avenue)

I would close Hillside Av simply due to the fact that there are numerous bus transfers available at Jamaica Center.

Line closure rules apply first before station closure rules. Thus if a line is closed, the affected stations would be closed whether they meet the criteria or not. Though line closures criteria are harder to meet.

This is off topic about whats being discussed (especially since the (MTA) doesn’t have the money and everyone in 2 Broadway and Albany are reactivate towards everything), but what if we’re to swap the alignment of the White Plains Road line and Pelham line near Whitlock Avenue? How much value would we gain from it? 

This is an idea where infrastructure would be moved around and what not so I’m going to explain what I mean: 

The WPR (2)(5) Line between Sourhern Blvd and East 180th Street would be demolished and replaced with new track that goes straight down Westchester Blvd.  

Between East 180th Street and Whitlock Avenue, a new 3 track Structure would be built to connect with the Pelham Line via Sheridan Blvd. The intermediate stops (all local stations) along this new “connection” would be:

• Jennings Street

• 174th Street 

• (Maybe) Tremont Avenue. 

At Whitlock Avenue, a Transfer station will be built for the (6) and the (2)(5). The (2)(5) Station will be called Sheridan Blvd and will be a 3 Track, 2 Island Platform Station. From this scenario, a Mass potential of Reroutes are possible. The (2) would become the New Pelham Line and the (6) would become the new WPR Line in both Scenarios. <6> Service would remain intact, but run differently. 

Scenario 1:

The (2) and (5) become the Pelham Lines with the (5) being the Rush Hour Peak Express Line. The (6) and a new Local (8) Line will handle White Plains Road and Dyre Avenue Respectively. 

Scenario 2: 

The (2) and (3) Take over the new Pelham Line with the (2) being the Peak Express Line whereas the (5) and (6) become the Lexington Local Lines with the (5) handling Dyre Avenue as it does today. (4) Service under this scenario would be doubled to 30 TPH as to not create any severe service cuts on Lexington. Depending on Whether or not Rogers Junction is deinterlined, (4) service will run to New Lots at all times with half of all trains terminating at Utica.

This idea is kind of out there, especially considering the financial and political situation that the (MTA), the City and the State are in cause of COVID, but hey.... this is the first time in some time that I let my imagination run wild. 

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

29 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

This is off topic about whats being discussed (especially since the (MTA) doesn’t have the money and everyone in 2 Broadway and Albany are reactivate towards everything), but what if we’re to swap the alignment of the White Plains Road line and Pelham line near Whitlock Avenue? How much value would we gain from it? 

This is an idea where infrastructure would be moved around and what not so I’m going to explain what I mean: 

The WPR (2)(5) Line between Sourhern Blvd and East 180th Street would be demolished and replaced with new track that goes straight down Westchester Blvd.  

Between East 180th Street and Whitlock Avenue, a new 3 track Structure would be built to connect with the Pelham Line via Sheridan Blvd. The intermediate stops (all local stations) along this new “connection” would be:

• Jennings Street

• 174th Street 

• (Maybe) Tremont Avenue. 

At Whitlock Avenue, a Transfer station will be built for the (6) and the (2)(5). The (2)(5) Station will be called Sheridan Blvd and will be a 3 Track, 2 Island Platform Station. From this scenario, a Mass potential of Reroutes are possible. The (2) would become the New Pelham Line and the (6) would become the new WPR Line in both Scenarios. <6> Service would remain intact, but run differently. 

Scenario 1:

The (2) and (5) become the Pelham Lines with the (5) being the Rush Hour Peak Express Line. The (6) and a new Local (8) Line will handle White Plains Road and Dyre Avenue Respectively. 

Scenario 2: 

The (2) and (3) Take over the new Pelham Line with the (2) being the Peak Express Line whereas the (5) and (6) become the Lexington Local Lines with the (5) handling Dyre Avenue as it does today. (4) Service under this scenario would be doubled to 30 TPH as to not create any severe service cuts on Lexington. Depending on Whether or not Rogers Junction is deinterlined, (4) service will run to New Lots at all times with half of all trains terminating at Utica.

This idea is kind of out there, especially considering the financial and political situation that the (MTA), the City and the State are in cause of COVID, but hey.... this is the first time in some time that I let my imagination run wild. 

What could be gained is new access between Eastern Bronx and Co-op City and the West Side of Manhattan via the (2) train. Currently such access does not exist except for the BxM7 from Co-op City and the BxM8 and BxM9 from Eastern Bronx. This could potentially be a good alternative for those riders.

Funny thing is that I actually thinking of l this sort of idea a short while ago and I was actually drafting a version of it. The main difference between yours and mine is that mine would’ve been underground 4-track subway lines that, while a bit of a pie-in-the-sky proposal to replace the 3-track el, could actually be beneficial in the long run as riders would now have all day bi-directional express subway service between Manhattan and the Bronx, which presently does not exist. Given its potential value, I might include it in my next (and larger subway expansion plan).

Edited by JeremiahC99

On 7/8/2020 at 11:15 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

(E)(L)(Q) are untouched. 

My version, keeping service on all trunk lines to keep pols happy:

(1) and (2) run as they do now, except (2) runs local in Manhattan.

(3) is a shuttle between 148-Lenox Terminal and 34th Street Penn Station at all times, running express.

(4) runs at all times from Woodlawn-New Lots Avenue, local throughout

(5) runs all times except late nights between Dyre Avenue and Grand Central (late nights runs as it does now)

(6) and (7) run as they do now, but no express service peak hours

(A) runs all times between 207th and Far Rockaway (have to keep the (A) to Far Rockaway because of JFK travelers), local in Manhattan and Brooklyn

(B) is eliminated

(C) becomes a shuttle between Euclid Avenue and Lefferts Boulevard at all times except rush hours, when it runs as an express to and from 34th Street-Penn Station or Columbus Circle.

(D) runs as it does now except it also is now a local in Manhattan all times and in Brooklyn late nights

(E) and (F) run as they do now except (E) runs local at all times and (F) runs express to 179th Street during rush hours

(G) runs from Church Avenue to 71st-Continental (local throughout), rush hours extended to 179th Street

(H) becomes the official shuttle between Rockaway Park and Euclid Avenue.

(J) runs as it does now except there is no skip stop.  Some trains terminate at Chambers Street during rush hours and are designated as (Z) trains going southbound only.

(brownM) returns to brown and runs Metropolitan Avenue to 95th Street-Bay Ridge at all times

(N) becomes the full-time Broadway and 4th Avenue Local between Coney Island and Ditmars Boulevard. Additional service during rush hours only between Whitehall and Astoria is provided by trains designated southbound only as (W).  

(Q) runs as it does now 

(R) is eliminated, replaced in Brooklyn by the (brownM)

Grand Central-Times Square (S) runs rush hours only

Franklin Avenue (S) runs as it does now

(W) and (Z) are eliminated except as noted for specifically designated trains.