LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

11 minutes ago, TomLirrAC said:

Hi all!

22/23 of us passed our book of rules exam. What a sigh of relief! Tomorrow we start tickets, wish me luck Lol

Congrats! When did you take your S&D test and how long did you wait until you were contacted for your background and next steps ??? 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cdima123 Thank you kindly. I took my exam on April 17th I believe . I missed out on the June class because sterling couldn't verify a few of my jobs. So I had to reachout to the IRS and provide them with tax transcripts for the jobs they were curious about. Made it just in time for the August 22nd class. Also I almost didn't make it past the medical at Mineola. Apparently i failed the eye exam, they told me to come back when I get some glasses. So I got a pair of prescription glasses within that same week (which I havent worn since the eye exam). It can be a real tedious process, so when the time comes just be prepared. Sterling background check first, then medical at Mineola next. I hope this was somewhat helpful. 

5 hours ago, TomLirrAC said:

@Cdima123 Thank you kindly. I took my exam on April 17th I believe . I missed out on the June class because sterling couldn't verify a few of my jobs. So I had to reachout to the IRS and provide them with tax transcripts for the jobs they were curious about. Made it just in time for the August 22nd class. Also I almost didn't make it past the medical at Mineola. Apparently i failed the eye exam, they told me to come back when I get some glasses. So I got a pair of prescription glasses within that same week (which I havent worn since the eye exam). It can be a real tedious process, so when the time comes just be prepared. Sterling background check first, then medical at Mineola next. I hope this was somewhat helpful. 

How did sterling contact you? Email? Who would contact us for the next step?

5 hours ago, TomLirrAC said:

I took mine on the 16th of July, still nothing from anyone, from what you’re saying you were contacted for a class around that 2 month range initially, kind of gives me anxiety as it’s been over 2 months and no contact yet, who knows what the process is

10 hours ago, Cdima123 said:

I took mine on the 16th of July, still nothing from anyone, from what you’re saying you were contacted for a class around that 2 month range initially, kind of gives me anxiety as it’s been over 2 months and no contact yet, who knows what the process is

I would stress too much. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they contact us until they have a class lined up for us. I passed the S&D exam in May and I’m still waiting to hear back. The waiting is the hardest part so hang in there. We’ll all probably be in next years classes. 

3 hours ago, JHP87 said:

I would stress too much. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they contact us until they have a class lined up for us. I passed the S&D exam in May and I’m still waiting to hear back. The waiting is the hardest part so hang in there. We’ll all probably be in next years classes. 

I meant WOULDN’T stress too much. Sorry for the typo. 

@Cdima123 From my understanding a handful of people passed the exam in May and still haven't been contacted yet. I sent Linda an email because the anxiety from waiting was to much for me, I couldn't wait anymore. Sterling will contact you via email. @JHP87 I would like to agree with you, chances are when the classes are set in stone, they will start placing people in them. 

I live in Brooklyn and I have never been on the LIRR. It Looks like I have to go to Penn and go straight over to Babylon which is far as hell *slow blinks*. Nah I really have to catch 4:54 train to reach 6:08 and wait two hours. :( I am gonna really pray they hire me. Because …………...

17 minutes ago, Misslowe said:

I live in Brooklyn and I have never been on the LIRR. It Looks like I have to go to Penn and go straight over to Babylon which is far as hell *slow blinks*. Nah I really have to catch 4:54 train to reach 6:08 and wait two hours. :( I am gonna really pray they hire me. Because …………...

Suck it up Buttercup.  This type shit is just the beginning for you.  But the job is so worth it.  For every person that don't make it, there's 100 behind you dying to take your spot!

4 hours ago, Misslowe said:

This is precisely why the application mentions that you must have a valid driver's license. What they are really saying is they want you to, at the very least, have the ability to drive a car to get to work. I don't think they can legally require you to own a car, but you really really need to have reliable access to a car. 

When you are a new A/C on probation (and probably for a while after probation) you won't have the seniority to own a regular job. There will be days when you are called and given 3 hours notice to report to a place like Port Jefferson or Speonk. According to Google Maps, right now at 4:45am it would take over an hour to drive from the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn to Port Jefferson station, and an hour and 20 min to drive out to Speonk. Babylon is relatively close in comparison to some of the weird places we have to show up for work.

Try to be thankful for the opportunity rather than complaining about the railroad before you've ever stepped foot on one of our trains. The change in attitude will go a long way in helping you get this job.

(By the way, notice what time I am up and going to work right now...)

14 hours ago, TomLirrAC said:

@Cdima123 From my understanding a handful of people passed the exam in May and still haven't been contacted yet. I sent Linda an email because the anxiety from waiting was to much for me, I couldn't wait anymore. Sterling will contact you via email. @JHP87 I would like to agree with you, chances are when the classes are set in stone, they will start placing people in them. 

When did you pass your exam @TomLirrAC? Were you contacted yet by sterling?

16 hours ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

For those who drove to Babylon for the open house, how was the parking around the municipals? I’m reading mixed reviews where some say it’s impossible as some say it’s fine if you park further and not right by the station. TIA.

If I am not mistaken I think the reason parking may end up being limited is because residents might have parking permits to park in front of their houses/community for the village of Babylon (this occurs in some parts of LI). 

Also -- For those who have been through the process if on the application I was not able to fit all descriptions of duties for a job is this an issue, should I remove the duties not listed on my application from my resume? Thank you for any insight. 

1 hour ago, Rizz said:

If I am not mistaken I think the reason parking may end up being limited is because residents might have parking permits to park in front of their houses/community for the village of Babylon (this occurs in some parts of LI). 

Also -- For those who have been through the process if on the application I was not able to fit all descriptions of duties for a job is this an issue, should I remove the duties not listed on my application from my resume? Thank you for any insight. 

I have not been through the process, but it depends  on the amount of experience . I just copy and paste from my resume. Since the box is small I just delete some spaces. So instead of bulleted sentences, It just looks run on sentences. Plus you can add or delete relevant info just make sure the app matches whats on your resume.

ex instead of this

- jfhfhhhfh

- dhdhdhdh

- hdhdhdhdhhd

it looks more like this

hdhdhdhdhdhdhd.hnbvhhfhfhfhfhhf. hdhdhddhhdhhdhgffhgfghf. dhhgghdhgdhgdhgdhd.hdhhdh.

3 hours ago, Misslowe said:

I have not been through the process, but it depends  on the amount of experience . I just copy and paste from my resume. Since the box is small I just delete some spaces. So instead of bulleted sentences, It just looks run on sentences. Plus you can add or delete relevant info just make sure the app matches whats on your resume.

Thanks for your help. I left the most relevant details in the app and removed the ones I didn't from my resume.

Good luck tomorrow! 👍

FYI to those looking for parking, stay away from the one right next to the LIRR you’ll wait forever and may not even find a spot, park by the baseball/football field like 3 blocks away. There were roughly 60-70 spots open for public parking, use the numbered parking ONLY which is the area away from the field. You pay towards the front of the field which is 25 cent per hour unlimited time. I just put 3$ for the hell of it good luck to all later today.

Just got back from Open House. Passed all 3 exams and I think I had a good interview. That cognitive test in terms of difficulty was the challenging part. Hoping for the best.

Some dates to keep in mind:

S&D overviews:

October 10th

or

November 9th

———————

S&D tests

If invited for Oct overview 

November 14

If invited for Nov overview 

December 14

4 hours ago, Rizz said:

Just got back from Open House. Passed all 3 exams and I think I had a good interview. That cognitive test in terms of difficulty was the challenging part. Hoping for the best.

Some dates to keep in mind:

S&D overviews:

October 10th

or

November 9th

———————

S&D tests

If invited for Oct overview 

November 14

If invited for Nov overview 

December 14

Same here!

Congrats to those who got past the exams today. I asked the interviewer when the expected date was for classes for our group if we pass the s&d and they said it’s definitely for the 2019 classes (no exact time) so don’t expect to make it to the remaining 2018 classes being held for those ahead of us. 

Well congrats to all. But that cognitive test part was bullshit. I would have still said it was BS even if I had gotten through. That part is scammy, also the timing of the whole thing. Nah I am side eyeing the whole process. I have done cognitive test before and this test aint it. I almost asked Ms. Oliver or whatever her name is if she can give me my $32.00 back. 

But Good luck to who passed :)  cuz if the S&D is no joke I am going to pray for yall.

13 hours ago, misslo said:

Well congrats to all. But that cognitive test part was bullshit. I would have still said it was BS even if I had gotten through. That part is scammy, also the timing of the whole thing. Nah I am side eyeing the whole process. I have done cognitive test before and this test aint it. I almost asked Ms. Oliver or whatever her name is if she can give me my $32.00 back. 

But Good luck to who passed :)  cuz if the S&D is no joke I am going to pray for yall.

I think you may have overthought the test, it was not meant for us to complete. She kept reiterating it’s for speed and accuracy and don’t worry about completing it but of course you can’t just do 2 questions and say you’re done. 

I did not complete any areas of the test besides the last math which was mandatory. Everything else I would say I completed 30% of each section (7-8 questions). I think they just wanted to see how well we can place things in order under time, and pressure but accurately.

what was the 32$ for? 

13 hours ago, misslo said:

Wow, good thing you didn't make it in.......they would've weeded you out later down the line anyway with a thought process like this!  Geez

2 hours ago, IronHorse said:

Wow, good thing you didn't make it in.......they would've weeded you out later down the line anyway with a thought process like this!  Geez

I did chuckle at you calling me buttercup :P. Nothing is wrong with my thought process also a lot of people felt the same way. I don't see how they would have weeded me out later if all I had to was to study the signals and definition and be committed to attending the classes. I got time.

2 hours ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

I think you may have overthought the test, it was not meant for us to complete. She kept reiterating it’s for speed and accuracy and don’t worry about completing it but of course you can’t just do 2 questions and say you’re done. 

I did not complete any areas of the test besides the last math which was mandatory. Everything else I would say I completed 30% of each section (7-8 questions). I think they just wanted to see how well we can place things in order under time, and pressure but accurately.

what was the 32$ for? 

oh cool. The LIRR fare.

2 hours ago, misslo said:

I did chuckle at you calling me buttercup :P. Nothing is wrong with my thought process also a lot of people felt the same way. I don't see how they would have weeded me out later if all I had to was to study the signals and definition and be committed to attending the classes. I got time.

There is a lot more to the process than memorizing signals and showing up for class. That stuff is just to get the job. The process winds up being 2.5 to 3 years long to keep the job. The cognitive test has proven itself to be a pretty good tool in weeding out people that ultimately would not succeed in the position. 

By the way, you overpaid for the train. You almost certainly traveled off-peak in both directions, but $32 is the price for a round-trip Peak ticket. Asking them for a refund because you did not pass the test would have been extremely inappropriate. If you drove to an interview at a McDonald's and they decided not to hire you, do they owe you a refund for the gas money you spent to get there? Do they owe you a happy meal? Come on.

2 hours ago, Two2Go said:

There is a lot more to the process than memorizing signals and showing up for class. That stuff is just to get the job. The process winds up being 2.5 to 3 years long to keep the job. The cognitive test has proven itself to be a pretty good tool in weeding out people that ultimately would not succeed in the position. 

By the way, you overpaid for the train. You almost certainly traveled off-peak in both directions, but $32 is the price for a round-trip Peak ticket. Asking them for a refund because you did not pass the test would have been extremely inappropriate. If you drove to an interview at a McDonald's and they decided not to hire you, do they owe you a refund for the gas money you spent to get there? Do they owe you a happy meal? Come on.

OK OK. I never been on the LIRR it was my first time. Its ok. I was just joking. I'm over it. It's fine.