For Unlimited Ride Customers - Try These Xfers

I bring this up because usually, I ride over 10,000 swipes a month and I tend to take routes that are unconventional but highly efficient.

It's how I was able to get from Ramsey to Riverdale in just under three hours. Or complete a round trip from Ossining to Astoria and back while sitting in LIC for Lunch for a half hour. Took eleven hours the first time but eight hours fifty minutes after a retest.

These stations are right under each other's noses but only Lexington Avenue - 59th Street links 63rd Street by walk: less than 10 minutes or two blocks apart...

207th St - 10 Av (A) to 207th St - Bway (1)

8th Street - NYU (N)(R) to Astor Place (6)

Nevins Street [2-3-4-5] to DeKalb Ave [b-Q-R]

Junius Street (3) to Sutter Ave (L).

<The distance is longer but it took me seven minutes on foot. If violence wasn't a factor, East New York is as ped friendly as Mount Vernon or White Plains. >

Cortlandt Street (R) to Fulton Center [2-3-4-5-A-C-J-Z]

49th Street - 7 Av [N-Q-R] to 50th Street - Bway (1).

I encourage those who utilize unlimiteds to give these unofficial shortcuts a try even if the MTA doesn't make them like the Lex Pair.

#TryTransit #GottaRideEmAll

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I bring this up because usually, I ride over 10,000 swipes a month and I tend to take routes that are unconventional but highly efficient.

It's how I was able to get from Ramsey to Riverdale in just under three hours. Or complete a round trip from Ossining to Astoria and back while sitting in LIC for Lunch for a half hour. Took eleven hours the first time but eight hours fifty minutes after a retest.

These stations are right under each other's noses but only Lexington Avenue - 59th Street links 63rd Street by walk: less than 10 minutes or two blocks apart...

<The distance is longer but it took me seven minutes on foot. If violence wasn't a factor, East New York is as ped friendly as Mount Vernon or White Plains. >

I encourage those who utilize unlimiteds to give these unofficial shortcuts a try even if the MTA doesn't make them like the Lex Pair.

Why do Nevins to DeKalb when Atlantic is literally a stop away? Same for 8th St/Astor; Union Sq is the next stop on both those lines. And Times Sq is just south of 49 St and 50 St.

Why do Nevins to DeKalb when Atlantic is literally a stop away? Same for 8th St/Astor; Union Sq is the next stop on both those lines. And Times Sq is just south of 49 St and 50 St.

The idea is to have access to different trains in the sane area. Nevins Street is IRT, DeKalb is BMT/IND.

Because of the sheer number of trains crisscrossed in this section of Brooklyn, my suggestions are more access related and has nothing to do with proximity.

Besides, switchboard problems have plagued this section of Brooklyn a lot lately. Not long ago I was on a (B) train whose brakes failed. And the following week the (B) was rerouted via the Broadway Express line.

Switch problems usually stick to one system at a time. If you know the (4) is prone to delays because of a switch issue at Borough Hall [iRT], you'd use DeKalb Ave [bMT] and take the trains there to Barclay's Center (and you're right, it's the next stop).

Also, why would you rather walk from Junius Street (3) to Sutter Avenue (L) (which is four to five blocks away) when Livonia Avenue (L) is just one block away from the exit of Junius?

First of all, with the 18 minute lockout period, you would only be able to make 80 trips per day or 2,400 trips per month, even if you literally spent every waking hour jumping between different subway and bus lines. The lockout resets for different stations, but you still have to wait for the train and ride the train to the transfer point, and then walk to the next train.

And in addition to what everybody said about 8th Street, 49th/50th Street, Nevins/DeKalb, and Sutter/Livonia, the (R) connects to the (J)(Z) at Canal Street, the (2)(3)(4)(5) at Atlantic (and the (4)(5) at Union Square and the (2)(3) at Times Square), and connects with the (A)(C) at Jay Street and (through a longer passageway) Times Square. 

First of all, with the 18 minute lockout period, you would only be able to make 80 trips per day or 2,400 trips per month, even if you literally spent every waking hour jumping between different subway and bus lines. The lockout resets for different stations, but you still have to wait for the train and ride the train to the transfer point, and then walk to the next train.

And in addition to what everybody said about 8th Street, 49th/50th Street, Nevins/DeKalb, and Sutter/Livonia, the (R) connects to the (J)(Z) at Canal Street, the (2)(3)(4)(5) at Atlantic (and the (4)(5) at Union Square and the (2)(3) at Times Square), and connects with the (A)(C) at Jay Street and (through a longer passageway) Times Square.

You realize that I don't just travel within the city line. I also use the Bee-Line System, NICE and I keep a reserve on the card so incan use PATH. The scope of my travels may seem unreal but they are.

I am a REGIONAL advocate for Greater NYC transportation. And I'm not your typical rider. I don't abide by convention.

My dad has taken advantage of his unlimited Metrocard at Times Square. The transfer between the R and the 1 is only at the northern part of the platform, and if he is at the southern part of the station, to save time, he comes out of the station, and comes back in on the other line's platform.

My dad has taken advantage of his unlimited Metrocard at Times Square. The transfer between the R and the 1 is only at the northern part of the platform, and if he is at the southern part of the station, to save time, he comes out of the station, and comes back in on the other line's platform.

That's within Times Square and not an Xfer like the ones I mentioned. The ones I indicated with the exception of Cortlandt and Fulton St, aren't connected as a station complex. Besides, UL's were suggested because each of the swipes to suggested stations are not inclusive like the Lex Pair.

Also, why would you rather walk from Junius Street (3) to Sutter Avenue (L) (which is four to five blocks away) when Livonia Avenue (L) is just one block away from the exit of Junius?

A transfer to a DIFFERENT system is what this implies. If I was doing what you anticipated I'd just stay on the (L). But if I want to get to Franklin Avenue and I'm at the Sutter Avenue station, I can use my unlimited to be flexible in how I get there.

The (L) itself does not coincide with the (2) or (3) in Brooklyn. Delays are the factor of a commuter's rigid thinking as much as it is the MTA's failure to fix things.

????MASS TRANSIT HONCHKROW????

You realize that I don't just travel within the city line. I also use the Bee-Line System, NICE and I keep a reserve on the card so incan use PATH. The scope of my travels may seem unreal but they are.

You realize that what you described is mathematically impossible? And if anything, using those systems means you would have even fewer swipes because the headways are longer which means you have the opportunity to take even fewer buses.

You realize that what you described is mathematically impossible? And if anything, using those systems means you would have even fewer swipes because the headways are longer which means you have the opportunity to take even fewer buses.

Were not THAT sparse up here. Not all suburban transit options are as paltry as some think. All 69 of our local routes interconnect within fifteen minutes and at most several hundred yards of one another.

Fourteen of those routes connect to NYC transit destinations. Sometimes instead of waiting for an overpass at a Subway I simply leave and reenter in the side I want.

I will say this again. I am NOT most people. You should follow my Google+ collection and understand the scope of my travels better. This is why I buy a monthly. Could you imagine the cost if my travels using PPR? I'd have more debt than the average bachelor undergrad...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Valley

https://plus.google.com/collection/I7WCb

A transfer to a DIFFERENT system is what this implies. If I was doing what you anticipated I'd just stay on the (L). But if I want to get to Franklin Avenue and I'm at the Sutter Avenue station, I can use my unlimited to be flexible in how I get there.

The (L) itself does not coincide with the (2) or (3) in Brooklyn. Delays are the factor of a commuter's rigid thinking as much as it is the MTA's failure to fix things.

MASS TRANSIT HONCHKROW

Different system? The Junius to Livonia transfer is already an out-of-system transfer...

Different system? The Junius to Livonia transfer is already an out-of-system transfer...

Note that the last 5 stops on the (3) coincide with Livonia Avenue. And I said Sutter Ave (L) which is BMT CANARSIE and Junius Street (3) which is EASTERN PKWY IRT. It isn't one subway system. If only it were that easy.

The subway has been held back for half a century. There are still stark infrastructure differences between lines and stations. Station complexes were created to compensate for all of this. The complexes nearest our area of conversation are Broadway Junction and Franklin Avenue - Eastern Pkwy.

I actually find this quite interesting because I have actually done every last one of these of these! I cross reference where I am going, and check the scheduled arrival of the train I am connecting with on my phone. If it's easier or faster with a non-conventional out of station transfer, I take it.

I actually do Nevins to Dekalb all the time, and I have jumped from the (6) to the (Q) at 8th Street in the middle of the night.  There is a lot of room to maneuver if you have an unlimited and you miss a train and want to catch up to it. I do it for many different reasons. For one, I absolutely HATE walking through Atlantic Terminal transferring between A and B division trains..... Same for the B division Sea Beach side and Brighton side.... I cant standing going in there. Its so much more convenient for me to Transfer between the 2/3/4/5 and N/Q/R at Nevins/Dekalb. If I wanna stop at McDonalds, 7-11 or the $1 pizza spot during the transfer its even better. 

Now with the Q, it's early in both directions 85% of the time. If i'm not going to make it to 14th Street in the middle of the night to catch a Q, I can hop on a 6, get to Astor real quick, haul ass over to 8th and catch this early Q. These transfers he is talking about are not for the average rider. So for me this is interesting to learn that I;m not the only one who does it. I'm just a bit more technical. The average rider doesn't know the schedule for trains, so it wouldn't make since for them to do a lot of these transfers. A person like me on the other hand, who pretty much knows which runs on which trains will be in time or not.

Many people actually thing their Q trains are very unreliable, which is not true. Many say it's always late. It's not. the Q is "on time" for MTA standards most all day and all night. However, if the train app you have says the Q arrives at 1:59am, you get to the station at 1:57, and the next train actually comes 18-22 minutes later, you will think the service is unreliable and the app isn't worth anything. Since B division doesn't have Next Train Time, it's only the scheduled arrival. I thought for moths the Q was unreliable till one night I started realizing 98% of the trains were actually 3-5 minutes early. That's on-time performance. So for us that live off the Q, we will now tell anyone we have the most reliable train in NYC. We get to where we are going early most all of the time! and we rarely have "incidents" that last too long...

For the 2 train on the other hand, I avoid it like the plague, SARS, ZIKA, and Al Queda. So the first chance I get to get off one of those I do. If only my 5 train ran 24 hours to Flabush avenue....

I can always count on my 2 to be late coming back in to Brooklyn. its late about 99.5% of the time. So I can take a smooth fast ride on a Q. Check the real time arrivals for the A division, and hop off at Dekalb. Making sure I'm in the front car, its so much faster, with less steps, and less people to walk over to Nevins and take a 4/5 or a 2 if I am forced to if I have to go Flatbush side. If I transfer at Atlantic, the probability that I lost a really good seat  is high. People crowd the middle of the southbound 2 and 5 trains because everyone knows exactly which door of which car to be in for their stop, and they are all in the middle south of Sterling through Newkirk for the most part. 

You are so technical my friend. I swipe more than the average so I know for a fact without even looking up any numbers this is not true. The 18 minutes ONLY applies to being used on a bus going in the same direction, or at a same train station. I can Get on a 2 train at 116 st, get off at 125, jump on an M60 to lex, swipe for a 4/5/6 train, learn the line is jacked up and 60 seconds later go upstairs. Transfer to any bus I want. Find out my friend is already at Lexington Avenue, ask the driver to get off. Hurry up and run across the street and get on ANY bus other than the route I was on, be lazy going one stop. See my friend outside the train station stairs, walk down, find out the 6 is now running find, and swipe right back in......

Mind you... Your blackout periods are also "whats on paper." It does not apply to all places or situations. 125th Street and a few other high traffic stations actually have 36 minute blackout periods....

So how did East New York just swipe just swipe 6 times within 36 minutes total ????? Especially if 125th has an extended high-traffic blackout period.

Now I'm finally understanding a lot of your arguments and many valid points actually come from.... You are looking at all the technical data. However someone like me who has the REAL data which is definitely not public.... What he is saying is in fact possible....

Off topic. I will continue to argue with anyone any day the the B46 actually has the highest ridership. Not the Bx12, not the M15, or anything else.... Since we FINALLY get automatic passenger counting systems soon, we will see if my 9 year argument is valid or not and finally put that to rest.

Mathematically impossible it is.... However in the real world of New York City, I will support his claim 100% and personally show you with your own Metrocard in hand one day if you would like.... Actually.... Let me give you a personal all-access tour to MTA. You meet me at ENY Depot & Train Yard. You pass the background check, we will start there, and I will show you how I got the nick name East New York. 

Stop going by those Facts & Figures so much, and let me take you on an inside tour. 

I will never forget the day my friend and Moderator (Cait Sith) met me at ENY the day 7090 got there. He was all ready to go and get some shots, and I was like...  Why are you doing that outside? I just have to tell Security I am East New York. Needless to say, I gave about 7 employees a tour of the new coach as we checked out all the features. Then I told them to fire it up and play with the destination signs so Cait could get some good shots..... They were like why? It's just Orange! Thats what the original black and white may have called for.

My point in that story is that all the MTA employees only looked at the facts and figures thinking the new buses weren't there yet because they were delivered early, and they would be the same. After I showed them around the bus and explained why it was early they understood. There are many things that the average rider, fan, and even MTA employee do not even know. 

After introduced myself to security, I went in told them why I was there, and then realized none of them knew the bus was even inside. I took them to it, gave a tour, and the rest is history. And Cait got some epic shots by the way! Nothing beats an in-depot pic of brand new equipment! 

On paper the C40LF didn't exist when we ordered them or when we got them. So all the people, including thousands of MTA employees who did not believe me were going off the "Facts & Figures....." You cant always do that, and again, I invite you to Surface Transit Headquarters one day, and end up in any borough you want, and I will show you how things really work. I love reading your posts, and you have great perspective, so I would love to show you another side. At least the parts I am allowed to! lol 

I actually find this quite interesting because I have actually done every last one of these of these! I cross reference where I am going, and check the scheduled arrival of the train I am connecting with on my phone. If it's easier or faster with a non-conventional out of station transfer, I take it.

I actually do Nevins to Dekalb all the time, and I have jumped from the (6) to the (Q) at 8th Street in the middle of the night.  There is a lot of room to maneuver if you have an unlimited and you miss a train and want to catch up to it. I do it for many different reasons. For one, I absolutely HATE walking through Atlantic Terminal transferring between A and B division trains..... Same for the B division Sea Beach side and Brighton side.... I cant standing going in there. Its so much more convenient for me to Transfer between the 2/3/4/5 and N/Q/R at Nevins/Dekalb. If I wanna stop at McDonalds, 7-11 or the $1 pizza spot during the transfer its even better. 

Now with the Q, it's early in both directions 85% of the time. If i'm not going to make it to 14th Street in the middle of the night to catch a Q, I can hop on a 6, get to Astor real quick, haul ass over to 8th and catch this early Q. These transfers he is talking about are not for the average rider. So for me this is interesting to learn that I;m not the only one who does it. I'm just a bit more technical. The average rider doesn't know the schedule for trains, so it wouldn't make since for them to do a lot of these transfers. A person like me on the other hand, who pretty much knows which runs on which trains will be in time or not.

Many people actually thing their Q trains are very unreliable, which is not true. Many say it's always late. It's not. the Q is "on time" for MTA standards most all day and all night. However, if the train app you have says the Q arrives at 1:59am, you get to the station at 1:57, and the next train actually comes 18-22 minutes later, you will think the service is unreliable and the app isn't worth anything. Since B division doesn't have Next Train Time, it's only the scheduled arrival. I thought for moths the Q was unreliable till one night I started realizing 98% of the trains were actually 3-5 minutes early. That's on-time performance. So for us that live off the Q, we will now tell anyone we have the most reliable train in NYC. We get to where we are going early most all of the time! and we rarely have "incidents" that last too long...

For the 2 train on the other hand, I avoid it like the plague, SARS, ZIKA, and Al Queda. So the first chance I get to get off one of those I do. If only my 5 train ran 24 hours to Flabush avenue....

I can always count on my 2 to be late coming back in to Brooklyn. its late about 99.5% of the time. So I can take a smooth fast ride on a Q. Check the real time arrivals for the A division, and hop off at Dekalb. Making sure I'm in the front car, its so much faster, with less steps, and less people to walk over to Nevins and take a 4/5 or a 2 if I am forced to if I have to go Flatbush side. If I transfer at Atlantic, the probability that I lost a really good seat  is high. People crowd the middle of the southbound 2 and 5 trains because everyone knows exactly which door of which car to be in for their stop, and they are all in the middle south of Sterling through Newkirk for the most part. 

You are so technical my friend. I swipe more than the average so I know for a fact without even looking up any numbers this is not true. The 18 minutes ONLY applies to being used on a bus going in the same direction, or at a same train station. I can Get on a 2 train at 116 st, get off at 125, jump on an M60 to lex, swipe for a 4/5/6 train, learn the line is jacked up and 60 seconds later go upstairs. Transfer to any bus I want. Find out my friend is already at Lexington Avenue, ask the driver to get off. Hurry up and run across the street and get on ANY bus other than the route I was on, be lazy going one stop. See my friend outside the train station stairs, walk down, find out the 6 is now running find, and swipe right back in......

Mind you... Your blackout periods are also "whats on paper." It does not apply to all places or situations. 125th Street and a few other high traffic stations actually have 36 minute blackout periods....

So how did East New York just swipe just swipe 6 times within 36 minutes total ????? Especially if 125th has an extended high-traffic blackout period.

Now I'm finally understanding a lot of your arguments and many valid points actually come from.... You are looking at all the technical data. However someone like me who has the REAL data which is definitely not public.... What he is saying is in fact possible....

Off topic. I will continue to argue with anyone any day the the B46 actually has the highest ridership. Not the Bx12, not the M15, or anything else.... Since we FINALLY get automatic passenger counting systems soon, we will see if my 9 year argument is valid or not and finally put that to rest.

Mathematically impossible it is.... However in the real world of New York City, I will support his claim 100% and personally show you with your own Metrocard in hand one day if you would like.... Actually.... Let me give you a personal all-access tour to MTA. You meet me at ENY Depot & Train Yard. You pass the background check, we will start there, and I will show you how I got the nick name East New York. 

Stop going by those Facts & Figures so much, and let me take you on an inside tour. 

I will never forget the day my friend and Moderator (Cait Sith) met me at ENY the day 7090 got there. He was all ready to go and get some shots, and I was like...  Why are you doing that outside? I just have to tell Security I am East New York. Needless to say, I gave about 7 employees a tour of the new coach as we checked out all the features. Then I told them to fire it up and play with the destination signs so Cait could get some good shots..... They were like why? It's just Orange! Thats what the original black and white may have called for.

My point in that story is that all the MTA employees only looked at the facts and figures thinking the new buses weren't there yet because they were delivered early, and they would be the same. After I showed them around the bus and explained why it was early they understood. There are many things that the average rider, fan, and even MTA employee do not even know. 

After introduced myself to security, I went in told them why I was there, and then realized none of them knew the bus was even inside. I took them to it, gave a tour, and the rest is history. And Cait got some epic shots by the way! Nothing beats an in-depot pic of brand new equipment! 

On paper the C40LF didn't exist when we ordered them or when we got them. So all the people, including thousands of MTA employees who did not believe me were going off the "Facts & Figures....." You cant always do that, and again, I invite you to Surface Transit Headquarters one day, and end up in any borough you want, and I will show you how things really work. I love reading your posts, and you have great perspective, so I would love to show you another side. At least the parts I am allowed to! lol 

I know of the timeout. I don't rely on it. If 18 minutes hasn't passed yet I use a MetroCard with value instead. Maybe I am being too technical. But it's my attention to detail that makes my commutes easier to grasp, even on weekends.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to diminish anyone's know how. I joined this forum to get a better handle on the know how of others. Despite all the miles I've covered, there's a lot of swiss cheese in between. That's what motivates me to keep traveling. To see what I haven't.

Maybe not exactly 10G's of swipes, but pretty close. In order for me to simulate ride scenarios with firsthand experience a Monthly is essential. My perosnal commutes account for 3,400 swipes per month within the city line, 900+ for Bee-Line, and about 25 for NICE.

I simulate those scenarios because I can't give sound transit advice if I haven't tried so myself. Otherwise I'd be no more than a quack.

The idea is to have access to different trains in the sane area. Nevins Street is IRT, DeKalb is BMT/IND.

Because of the sheer number of trains crisscrossed in this section of Brooklyn, my suggestions are more access related and has nothing to do with proximity.

Besides, switchboard problems have plagued this section of Brooklyn a lot lately. Not long ago I was on a (B) train whose brakes failed. And the following week the (B) was rerouted via the Broadway Express line.

Switch problems usually stick to one system at a time. If you know the (4) is prone to delays because of a switch issue at Borough Hall [iRT], you'd use DeKalb Ave [bMT] and take the trains there to Barclay's Center (and you're right, it's the next stop).

I was able to take advantage of a transfer from 7 Avenue/53 Street ((E)) to 57 Street–7 Avenue ((Q)) when I missed the (B) and (D). The transfer was definitely more convenient than the official out-of-system transfer at Lexington Avenue/63 Street. Given the time of day, I did not want to suffer the long average headway between trains.

I was able to take advantage of a transfer from 7 Avenue/53 Street ((E)) to 57 Street–7 Avenue ((Q)) when I missed the (B) and (D). The transfer was definitely more convenient than the official out-of-system transfer at Lexington Avenue/63 Street. Given the time of day, I did not want to suffer the long average headway between trains.

That's exactly my point. I guess I was using the wrong set of words and confused a lot of people. But it's essentially like subway hopscotch.

sorry if i created too many threads. in tapatalk the hierarchy isn't as well cut. i don't access using a desktop client often. moderators - i assure you that isn't intentional. i just don't see past two subcategories when i start a post. since the relevant post was muted by a mod.

My apologies.

So as i read this, that is considered expeniture plan, as my father taught me that when i was at vacation. If you have pay per ride card, you could have paid $2.75 for each of these "Xfers"

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

And such an expenditure would cost too much to sustain with my paltry earnings. My suugestions are geared toward Unlimited ride customers as paying a set amount for a thirty day period of travels is much more cost effective for me.

10,000 rides may be streching it. But l;ast summer I cam epretty close to 8,000 swipes per month. Traveled like a maniac.

And such an expenditure would cost too much to sustain with my paltry earnings. My suugestions are geared toward Unlimited ride customers as paying a set amount for a thirty day period of travels is much more cost effective for me.

10,000 rides may be streching it. But l;ast summer I cam epretty close to 8,000 swipes per month. Traveled like a maniac.

Yeah. Everytime you buy unlimited metrocards, you keep doing more frequently on what you said in your post description.

As you looked at my proposal thread, I am putting couple more stations on the map for possibly more merrior on your expeniture amount of swipes. We hope that it is real, not fantasy.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Archived