ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

19 hours ago, DEE123 said:

If it’s so bad why don’t you take the test and cross over? I’m not attacking you, I’m just curious. How is T/O such a terrible job compared to B/O?

B/O is a much more stressful job. Dont pay him any mind, he’s been complaining since he started.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

B/O is a much more stressful job. Dont pay him any mind, he’s been complaining since he started.

Still here complaining too no one says he can stay...

TAs door is always open for us to walk out of..

They'll just find another body anyway..

Yet its like this basically everywhere too.

5 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Pay him no mind he got rookie problems..

Of coruse he is still down here so if it was so bad he would have quit already...

T/O isn't for everyone but as a B/O i feel there's more chit they gotta go through than a TO..

Been here 22 years and i came from the first open competitive test and the chit we went through was nothing compared to what folks go through now...

There was pure animosity for us from all sides Management and Fellow Coworkers...

Yeah, I would rather just be in a more controlled environment than outside in the streets where people are cutting you off from the furthest left lane without using turn signals  and immediately stopping 10 feet away from you just to double park while you’re going 20mph with 100passengers standing behind you, not to mention the illegal E-bikes in the street that literally come from any blind spot imaginable and you’re responsible for them on the road even though most of them aren’t sharing the road responsibly and are breaking the law by not being registered even though they go 40mph 

15 hours ago, DEE123 said:

Yeah, I would rather just be in a more controlled environment than outside in the streets where people are cutting you off from the furthest left lane without using turn signals  and immediately stopping 10 feet away from you just to double park while you’re going 20mph with 100passengers standing behind you, not to mention the illegal E-bikes in the street that literally come from any blind spot imaginable and you’re responsible for them on the road even though most of them aren’t sharing the road responsibly and are breaking the law by not being registered even though they go 40mph 

My Older Brother was a B/O for over 27 years then he retired when i told him i was thinking about taking the TO test he said yes do it....

I used to ride with him a lot and the chit HE had to deal with man listen...

You Bus Operators are soldiers salute...

Ain’t been here in a while, had to catch up, just want to say good luck to all the T/Os in school car! Study and get your rest! Made 5 years this year and man did the time fly! Look I get we’re all entitled to our own opinions but seriously you people on here complaining constantly should look in the mirror and ask yourself why are you still here if transit is so bad? Like the job isn’t perfect, I’ve had my fair share of bad days, but the job itself is great! It’s the people that make it annoying at times! However with that said, we’re adults, you have better options at making a good living then go do that! I’m a native New Yorker so I know the customers will be customers! Like seriously stop trying to deter people from taking an opportunity with childish thinking! Transit tells you everything in orientation and school car. This is a seniority based job, you have to put in time for what you think is a good job, good days off, good vacation! If this is your first seniority based job this is why you get frustrated and start complaining, when in all reality you were told this from day one! Like I said the job isn’t perfect, but it’s a lot way better than no job or dead end jobs with low pay! That’s my opinion, again good luck to all who’ve recently been called and those waiting good luck also and hope you get that final call soon!!! 

On 12/1/2023 at 4:25 PM, DEE123 said:

If it’s so bad why don’t you take the test and cross over? I’m not attacking you, I’m just curious. How is T/O such a terrible job compared to B/O?

U can DM me if u want my honest opinions.
We don't have to be influenced by these cliquey vibes putting positive uplifting optimistic undertones to my overly sinister negative intentions.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:46 PM, ix360xi said:

Hi - I just received my pre-employment text/call. it states I will receive an email but I haven't yet. what will be the process for that day and what do I need to bring? any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If you don’t mind me asking what’s your list number?

10 hours ago, trackerjack said:

We don't have to be influenced by these cliquey vibes putting positive uplifting optimistic undertones to my overly sinister negative intentions.

Opinions do matter up to those listening to make their own choices not to be influenced by them though.

You dont see me singing this places praises I'm counting down the years and I'm gone 2 years 11 months...

Pay attention with this election coming up and vote in the ones with our best interests not the most popular.

11 hours ago, trackerjack said:

I used to also say "stop being negative" but u know what, tell it how u feel it. If somebody really wants this job, your posts won't matter to them. If somebody is undecided and doesn't really want it but is being pressured to do it and your posts makes them decide against it, good. They won't come down here and waste their time or anybody else's. Leave those spots for people who aren't so easily deterred by some hilarious honest reviews. 

Newsflash, all jobs suck. This one sucks extra hard on the bad days, but the money is great and the good days are great. Nothing like sitting on your ass for 8 hours for almost 40 an hour. And if u last long enough, in 20 years you might be able to pick a job where that's literally all u do. Sit on your ass for 8 hours getting out of having to do the one layup u are supposed to do becaus the dispatcher is your buddy. Then u can sit there sleeping on a chair while somebody who actually got his first drop in months has to do your layup because you are the "senior man". 

Or you'll get to have one of those jobs with a single trip and 3 hours of waa with a lunch break and just sit there on Facebook all day complaining about the complainers and pontificating about the job like you accomplished something when all u did is let time pass. Idk just me.

12 hours ago, trackerjack said:

To be honest if you really don't like it here you can always leave and find a better job. It's funny how all the people who complain how much this job sucks are still here working. 

In my opinion let people figure this job out for themselves spewing your negativity about the job doesn't work nor does it help people out with the process.

10 hours ago, Schecter said:

To be honest if you really don't like it here you can always leave and find a better job. It's funny how all the people who complain how much this job sucks are still here working. 

In my opinion let people figure this job out for themselves spewing your negativity about the job doesn't work nor does it help people out with the process.

Nah that's too easy last time i checked we was all adults down here..

you WILL have good days here and you WILL have bad days here, sometimes youll have REALLY BAD days, but thats any job. You just have a reason here to tough it out when it gets bad

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Those with children and S/O's keep in mind, the job will be a lot harder for you in terms of work/life balance, please keep that in mind

13 hours ago, beanz said:

I used to also say "stop being negative" but u know what, tell it how u feel it. If somebody really wants this job, your posts won't matter to them. If somebody is undecided and doesn't really want it but is being pressured to do it and your posts makes them decide against it, good. They won't come down here and waste their time or anybody else's. Leave those spots for people who aren't so easily deterred by some hilarious honest reviews. 

Newsflash, all jobs suck. This one sucks extra hard on the bad days, but the money is great and the good days are great. Nothing like sitting on your ass for 8 hours for almost 40 an hour. And if u last long enough, in 20 years you might be able to pick a job where that's literally all u do. Sit on your ass for 8 hours getting out of having to do the one layup u are supposed to do becaus the dispatcher is your buddy. Then u can sit there sleeping on a chair while somebody who actually got his first drop in months has to do your layup because you are the "senior man". 

Or you'll get to have one of those jobs with a single trip and 3 hours of waa with a lunch break and just sit there on Facebook all day complaining about the complainers and pontificating about the job like you accomplished something when all u did is let time pass. Idk just me.

What is a “bad day” for a Train operator. I’m still trying to understand why this job sucks. 
All I’m hearing is a bunch of NYC transit crap that is applicable in all positions in transit. Transit is transit no matter what position you have with them, of course management holds you accountable for literally everything.

Yeah you’re just a warm body and nobody cares about you and they will always find a replacement for you.

Yeah you’re gonna be on the extra list for like 5 years before you get to pick a steady schedule/route instead of 1 year with B/O. Fine.

Yeah they will have you working the weirdest times everyday where you’ll barely get any sleep for 5 years straight, understandable.

But I’m not really seeing any other reasons why the job sucks all I’m hearing is transit stuff that applies to all other titles. Is there anything particularly broad or specific that you guys can give me other than how good the senior guys have it compared to the new people? 

6 hours ago, DEE123 said:

What is a “bad day” for a Train operator. I’m still trying to understand why this job sucks. 
All I’m hearing is a bunch of NYC transit crap that is applicable in all positions in transit. Transit is transit no matter what position you have with them, of course management holds you accountable for literally everything.

Yeah you’re just a warm body and nobody cares about you and they will always find a replacement for you.

Yeah you’re gonna be on the extra list for like 5 years before you get to pick a steady schedule/route instead of 1 year with B/O. Fine.

Yeah they will have you working the weirdest times everyday where you’ll barely get any sleep for 5 years straight, understandable.

But I’m not really seeing any other reasons why the job sucks all I’m hearing is transit stuff that applies to all other titles. Is there anything particularly broad or specific that you guys can give me other than how good the senior guys have it compared to the new people? 

It's just the things u mentioned plus the homeless really. A bad day is when the road blows up and u are basically in and out all day without any breaks and lose most of your lunch break but not enough of it to put in for the no lunch. If you on a line like the 1 and do 3 trips everyday, a bad day can feel really rough. Honestly sometimes I'm tired of the grind but I just remind myself that I'm not really doing anything crazy like construction outdoors in the middle of winter and I'm making more than most new college grads. Overall it's a very good job in my opinion but u gotta be ready for that first 3 to 5 years of shitty schedules.

7 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

you WILL have good days here and you WILL have bad days here, sometimes youll have REALLY BAD days, but thats any job. You just have a reason here to tough it out when it gets bad

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Those with children and S/O's keep in mind, the job will be a lot harder for you in terms of work/life balance, please keep that in mind

That is def a fact..

Transit dont care about your life outside of transit..

Like any other Job these days...

6 hours ago, DEE123 said:

Yes we are a warm body and yes if i keel over on the clock someone will make my trip or they'll just ABD it.. I dont have to like it but i can accept it...

Yes if you eff up down here in CERTAIN departments they'll try to hold you under the fire...

Five years these days not likely maybe two years tops. Its not like how it was when I started in 2001 with those dinosaurs who just did not want to leave and I had to wait five years to just pick a crappy RDO Relief job but you know what? I HAD set days off and that mattered more than anything I was able to get somewhat of a life back.

You hearing how the job sucks mostly from eff ups who are prob always down in Labor relations anyway it was the same with me.. Some of the T/Os and C/Rs who always beefed about the place always was in Labor Relations, I started to see that and ignore those types...

They try to bring their misery to others dont let it bother ya just do what's best for you and let them stay in their corners miserable.

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

Yes we are a warm body and yes if i keel over on the clock someone will make my trip or they'll just ABD it.. I dont have to like it but i can accept it...

Yes if you eff up down here in CERTAIN departments they'll try to hold you under the fire...

Five years these days not likely maybe two years tops. Its not like how it was when I started in 2001 with those dinosaurs who just did not want to leave and I had to wait five years to just pick a crappy RDO Relief job but you know what? I HAD set days off and that mattered more than anything I was able to get somewhat of a life back.

You hearing how the job sucks mostly from eff ups who are prob always down in Labor relations anyway it was the same with me.. Some of the T/Os and C/Rs who always beefed about the place always was in Labor Relations, I started to see that and ignore those types...

They try to bring their misery to others dont let it bother ya just do what's best for you and let them stay in their corners miserable.

You couldn’t had said it any better. I been a conductor for about 7 years now. The moment I got down here, people were being negative telling me their experiences. I took it all with a grain of salt.  Someone else’s experience with the job won’t be the same for everybody. This job is easy as long as you know your job.

Whenever I get a student I always tell them to remember what your job is. Remember what is your responsibility and know your rule book.  

1 minute ago, Tdevon2923 said:

You couldn’t had said it any better. I been a conductor for about 7 years now. The moment I got down here, people were being negative telling me their experiences. I took it all with a grain of salt.  Someone else’s experience with the job won’t be the same for everybody. This job is easy as long as you know your job.

Whenever I get a student I always tell them to remember what your job is. Remember what is your responsibility and know your rule book.  

This place is just like any other job its what one makes it..

If some are eff ups they are eff ups period and those are usually the ones always complaining because they know there's nothing else out there for them but this place.

If they had something better lined up they'd  be gone already.

Its not perfect but which job is that all you need is a high School Diploma and can make over 40 bucks a hour without some type of specialized training?

That's true one BETTER know their job here or one will def have issues Labor Relations is like a 24/7 place now...

22 years of seeing and hearing all kinds of chit but my eye is on that prize retirement...