ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

21 minutes ago, Booquies said:

Hello,

Just wanted to share my story.

I got called in 3 times for pre employment 6/7 9/13 11/14

Then surprisingly got called for medical on dec 13 and to my surprise, I was sworn in that day due to start jan 28. 

I have a tiny question if anyone can help about Attire to wear before uniforms.

I just received my free boots and I have blue dickies (no leg pockets) 

Now for shirt it says grey “with collar”

Am i to assume that as long as it has a collar im fine? Or should it be a full button down shirt ( I was going to wear a grey polo collar shirt but it only has 3 buttons) 

Lol I hope y’all don’t judge 

My TSS’ are pretty cool about the uniform. I have a guy in my class who only wears grey polos and they haven’t told him anything.

I would suggest you have some grey button downs as a back up if they’re not keen on your polos.

Hopefully they don’t screw your induction class like they did ours. We didn’t get measured for our uniforms until the 3rd week because of a scheduling snafu.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

My TSS’ are pretty cool about the uniform. I have a guy in my class who only wears grey polos and they haven’t told him anything.

I would suggest you have some grey button downs as a back up if they’re not keen on your polos.

Hopefully they don’t screw your induction class like they did ours. We didn’t get measured for our uniforms until the 3rd week because of a scheduling snafu.

Oh what do you TB 12s know about snafus 😝. Positive note some pieces came really quick

54 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

Our TSS was told we were the worst of the groups for the signal practice at the simulator lol

Yikes dude. That’s rough. No worries though, just study and put in that work and you’ll be good.

If you have people dragging you down, it’s best to cut them now so you can focus.

1 hour ago, LIRRMedford said:

Our TSS was told we were the worst of the groups for the signal practice at the simulator lol

The simulator is wayyy harder than the actual signal test! Trust me! It does prepare you but it really be a lot of trick questions on there and it’s not nearly like that on the actual exam, it’s straight forward! Again if ya see other T/O’s out there ask them for some “study material!”

8 hours ago, Imhim said:

Get a button down! There are a lot anal TSS’s and they will come at you about the uniform! I personally saw a TSS tell someone in my induction class to get a button down and not to wear their polo anymore! They even complain about the winter coat, must be black or navy blue and indistinguishable from MTA uniform. 

Thank you

16 hours ago, Imhim said:

Once you get sworn in, the job is yours! As is any other job, you have probation. School car, exams, practicals, that’s on you! You don’t have to be a train buff to get this stuff! If you put in the time and this is what you want, it will come to you! I’m YX now and I have seen some T/Os down here like how is this person a T/O smh, but again it’s on you to put in the work and study! You will be taking daily quizzes, mostly on stuff learned the previous day, depending on your TSS. Those don’t count, they’re just given so the TSS’s can evaluate how you are retaining information! The ones that do count, again depending on your TSS, you will know when they’re coming and study extra! The official signal exams yes you have to get a 100%. On the multiple choice it’s on you, on the essays, you might be able to talk your way out of getting something wrong! Yes there are a lot of signals but honestly they become repetitive and very similar, you will learn to identify and group the similar ones together! When you get in, you will probably run into myself lol or other T/Os who will give you studying matieral lol! Just be humble and ask questions, there are lots of ppl down here willing to help! 

Anyplace where signals can be found on the internet to study ahead of time? Thanks

22 hours ago, Imhim said:

Get a button down! There are a lot anal TSS’s and they will come at you about the uniform! I personally saw a TSS tell someone in my induction class to get a button down and not to wear their polo anymore! They even complain about the winter coat, must be black or navy blue and indistinguishable from MTA uniform. 

Are light blue shirts allowed, or just grey? Any good idea for bags?

18 minutes ago, Proby2192 said:

Are light blue shirts allowed, or just grey? Any good idea for bags?

Grey.

Any bag you carry cannot be a messenger or backpack when you’re crossing tracks. There are bags out there where you can tuck/hide the back straps so you’re complying with the rule. Good brands are Kaka and Witzman. You’ll find them on Amazon.

22 hours ago, Imhim said:

The simulator is wayyy harder than the actual signal test! Trust me! It does prepare you but it really be a lot of trick questions on there and it’s not nearly like that on the actual exam, it’s straight forward! Again if ya see other T/O’s out there ask them for some “study material!”

I don't appreciate how the answers on the simulator quizzes aren't verbatim like we're supposed to learn them. It's hypocritical.

36 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

I don't appreciate how the answers on the simulator quizzes aren't verbatim like we're supposed to learn them. It's hypocritical.

That’s a fact. I was staring at the screen like; wtf is this? 

I spent all that time memorizing the wording for 50+ signals and you hit me with this weak shit?

6 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

That’s a fact. I was staring at the screen like; wtf is this? 

I spent all that time memorizing the wording for 50+ signals and you hit me with this weak shit?

yea and that's how they threw me off and i end up getting 1-2 wrong every time. But I'm catching onto their games. Third time's a charm, going in next week. I should be good by the 4th and final visit at the end of the month.

22 hours ago, njbk said:

Nothing you do at the simulator matters at all until the actual signal exam. You could get literally everything wrong before then and it won’t matter. 

lol yeah but still wouldn’t go and bomb the simulator because then the TSS’s there gonna tell your TSS’s and ya all gonna look bad, like wth is this person doing! With the simulator you just gotta really read the question and answers 2/3 times then you be like ohhhh, they tryna get me lol. 

On 1/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, Imhim said:

The simulator prepares you for the real world application... Atleast the quizzes do.  The "train operation simulator" always frustrates.

Keep studying the books they give you, and believe when they tell you the Signals test is the easiest test you will take.  The hard stuff is on the road when you have to recall what you studied, apply in real life because not all the signals make sense.

Example: you see a 15mile per hour speed limit sign and then a Green R Resume speed sign together at one location.  Which do you adhere to?  Max power or the 15 miles?

3 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

The simulator prepares you for the real world application... Atleast the quizzes do.  The "train operation simulator" always frustrates.

Keep studying the books they give you, and believe when they tell you the Signals test is the easiest test you will take.  The hard stuff is on the road when you have to recall what you studied, apply in real life because not all the signals make sense.

Example: you see a 15mile per hour speed limit sign and then a Green R Resume speed sign together at one location.  Which do you adhere to?  Max power or the 15 miles?

Good point. 

Min this  scenario, I’m doing 15mph.  The most restricted fixed  miscellaneous sign is key. 

5 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

#failedalready

6 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

Always adhere to the most restrictive signal. So; 15 mph it is.