ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/9/2018 at 8:38 PM, george0394 said:

Hi,

Would anyone be able to tell me what the salary for this position is? How much is one paid during classroom training, then during probationary period, and finally top pay? Thanks a million!

On 5/9/2018 at 9:12 PM, njbk said:

The letter lists pay as $34.16 an hour. 

$36.25 will be the top pay after 5 full years of service. You will start at 70% ($25.38/hr) all through your first year. You will get a 5% raise each year on your start date until you reach 90% (5th year) and then jump to $36.25 at the start of year 6. The current contract expires in May 2019 so pay rates may change afterwards. You will definitely be making more than base salary while you're here, even if you only are scheduled for 40 hours a week. (After schoolcar)

Edited by SevenEleven
Fixed Pay Rate

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

That will be the top pay after 5 full years of service. You will start at 70% ($23.91/hr) all through your first year. You will get a 5% raise each year on your start date until you reach 90% (5th year) and then jump to $34.16 at the start of year 6. The current contract expires in May 2019 so pay rates may change afterwards. You will definitely be making more than base salary while you're here, even if you only are scheduled for 40 hours a week. (After schoolcar)

I believe you are confusing conductor with train operator. 

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

$36.25 will be the top pay after 5 full years of service. You will start at 70% ($25.38/hr) all through your first year. You will get a 5% raise each year on your start date until you reach 90% (5th year) and then jump to $36.25 at the start of year 6. The current contract expires in May 2019 so pay rates may change afterwards. You will definitely be making more than base salary while you're here, even if you only are scheduled for 40 hours a week. (After schoolcar)

This isn’t true.  Starting pay is $34.16 and will increase to $36.25 in the sixth year. 

41 minutes ago, njbk said:

Can you show me where you saw this?

He didn’t. He’s confusing with something else he saw.  Train operator goes off a different pay scale. 

I got the letter as well but I go in next week.   It does state temporary position but that’s because the list hasn’t been established yet.   I work for NYCTA right now and your probation starts the first day of training, not when list is establish.   I spoke to plenty of employees that have already been through it.  

Serperate question, did you letters come with the exam numbers blank and list # filled in?

27 minutes ago, njbk said:

I was told by Ms. Vargas that your probation starts the day you are made permanent. My letter had the exam number and a list number. 

That's true for provisional employees.  You aren't going to be provisional because you took the exam already.

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

I checked, top pay is $36.25 but it is still 5 yrs of service at the same progression scale (70>75>80>85>90>100)

this is not accurate for train operators!... when i started in 2015 i started with 31.84 so i know this is wrong.... it may work like that for bus ops, but not train ops

9 minutes ago, BlueHefna said:

That's true for provisional employees.  You aren't going to be provisional because you took the exam already.

If I’m hired before the list is established im not provisional? Not saying you’re wrong just hearing different things and kinda want to know what’s up. 

17 minutes ago, njbk said:

If I’m hired before the list is established im not provisional? Not saying you’re wrong just hearing different things and kinda want to know what’s up. 

Provisional is when you get hired and haven't taken the test yet.   You took the test and got a letter.  I know it states temporary but I'm telling you, it's a year probation and then you done and locked in.  When I first got a letter from Mta back in 2014, it said temporary.  I didn't get hired then but the people that did get hired at that time were all considered temporary.  After the full year, they made it off probation.  They didn't have to wait for the list to be established and kept their seniority.  You will be fine and I will probably see you in the class once it starts.   Just makes sure you have everything.  No pending tickets or court cases and of course clean urine.

I have a letter coming from transit today, got the email from USPS saying it’s coming from the mta exams unit. When I checked my answer key, I had 4 wrong out of 60. Hopefully I’m getting this same letter. 

9 hours ago, BlueHefna said:

This isn’t true.  Starting pay is $34.16 and will increase to $36.25 in the sixth year. 

He didn’t. He’s confusing with something else he saw.  Train operator goes off a different pay scale. 

That I didn't know. I thought it was 5 years for everyone... Y'all start at 34.16, I'm in the wrong title then! 🤣🤣

9 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

this is not accurate for train operators!... when i started in 2015 i started with 31.84 so i know this is wrong.... it may work like that for bus ops, but not train ops

49 minutes ago, 2nice said:

I have a letter coming from transit today, got the email from USPS saying it’s coming from the mta exams unit. When I checked my answer key, I had 4 wrong out of 60. Hopefully I’m getting this same letter. 

Please let us know if you get it!!! I got 4 wrong as well, it would be a blessing if this comes this year.

10 hours ago, BlueHefna said:

Provisional is when you get hired and haven't taken the test yet.   You took the test and got a letter.  I know it states temporary but I'm telling you, it's a year probation and then you done and locked in.  When I first got a letter from Mta back in 2014, it said temporary.  I didn't get hired then but the people that did get hired at that time were all considered temporary.  After the full year, they made it off probation.  They didn't have to wait for the list to be established and kept their seniority.  You will be fine and I will probably see you in the class once it starts.   Just makes sure you have everything.  No pending tickets or court cases and of course clean urine.

This is great to hear, thanks very much. 

1 hour ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

Please let us know if you get it!!! I got 4 wrong as well, it would be a blessing if this comes this year.

If you get one having got 4 wrong then they must have the need to hire a lot. 

I have a friend who works for MTA as a conductor. We took the TO test together.  He said they need alot of TO becsuse many retired and also moved up to management.

So is there no background check or medical before receiving the letter?

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

That I didn't know. I thought it was 5 years for everyone... Y'all start at 34.16, I'm in the wrong title then! 🤣🤣

Training is a flat pay of 34 and hr, and when you become permanent, 2 years later you at top pay which is 36 an hr

9 minutes ago, thegameksk said:

I have a friend who works for MTA as a conductor. We took the TO test together.  He said they need alot of TO becsuse many retired and also moved up to management.

So is there no background check or medical before receiving the letter?

They said the background can take a while but the medical is the last thing day do. They do medical after you survive day 1. Day 1 include all your information like driving license, high school diploma, social security card and ZERO pending ticket on your license! I repeat ZERO PENDING TICKETS. 

Let's clarify this situation:

12 hours ago, njbk said:

What HR told you is correct. This "temporary" position is a provisional offer. You can be hired as a provisional even if you took a civil service test. I was promoted this way. My probationary time as a provisional did not count once the list was officially established and certified. Why do they do it? My guess is because they need bodies as quickly as possible. The administrative stuff is figured out later. All RTO titles are going through this provisional stuff lately.

As for top pay, it takes 241 road days(operating a train in passenger service) to reach it. It's not a set amount of years.

7 minutes ago, Tricknologist said:

Let's clarify this situation:

What HR told you is correct. This "temporary" position is a provisional offer. You can be hired as a provisional even if you took a civil service test. I was promoted this way. My probationary time as a provisional did not count once the list was officially established and certified. Why do they do it? My guess is because they need bodies as quickly as possible. The administrative stuff is figured out later. All RTO titles are going through this provisional stuff lately.

As for top pay, it takes 241 road days(operating a train in passenger service) to reach it. It's not a set amount of years.

So just to  be clear: If I get the job, complete schoolcar, and am operating trains for a year before the list is established, I will be probationary for 365 days after the day the list is established?

24 minutes ago, njbk said:

So just to  be clear: If I get the job, complete schoolcar, and am operating trains for a year before the list is established, I will be probationary for 365 days after the day the list is established?

Correct, with one caveat. All that time will not count until you become a permanent employee, not once the list is established. The second probationary period will start thereafter. 

Edited by Tricknologist

27 minutes ago, Tricknologist said:

Correct, with one caveat. All that time will not count until you become a permanent employee, not once the list is established. The second probationary period will start thereafter. 

So what has to happen after the list is established before i become permanent? My list number is very high (between 1 and 25) according to the letter i got.