ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

19 minutes ago, Jericho said:

This was when I was still on the midnight tour as XX last year.

You'll know what your job is 3 days in advance for the most part. There are 8 hour jobs and as you can see above, there are "penalty" jobs that pay more than 8 hours.

Thank you for the info. 3 days in advance that's good, somebody had told me that they tell you the day before. Are you still on the midnight tour now?

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

Thank you for the info. 3 days in advance that's good, somebody had told me that they tell you the day before. Are you still on the midnight tour now?

Just to give background. When I came out of schoolcar, they threw me into the midnight tour along with several classmates despite my asking for the PM as my top choice in my preference sheet.  A few months later, a classmate of my submitted a request to switch to the AM tour and got it, and I did the same thing and went to PMs. Edit: Keep in mind, this was at the height of the pandemic when there were tons of jobs available. That may not be true for you as train operators ahead of you graduate out of schoolcar and fill the holes.

I am currently working a pick job I won from the vacancy bids. When a new pick starts, there will be jobs available to bid as people retire or are out on restriction. My train operator is out on medical leave and probably won't be back for awhile so I should be able to keep it until the current pick ends coming up next month.

Edited by Jericho

12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Just to give background. When I came out of schoolcar, they threw me into the midnight tour along with several classmates despite my asking for the PM as my top choice in my preference sheet.  A few months later, a classmate of my submitted a request to switch to the AM tour and got it, and I did the same thing and went to PMs. Edit: Keep in mind, this was at the height of the pandemic when there were tons of jobs available. That may not be true for you as train operators ahead of you graduate out of schoolcar and fill the holes.

I am currently working a pick job I won from the vacancy bids. When a new pick starts, there will be jobs available to bid as people retire or are out on restriction. My train operator is out on medical leave and probably won't be back for awhile so I should be able to keep it until the current pick ends coming up next month.

oh ok I got it . I would pick PM as well but I do understand that I might not get it.  Good for you that you were able to get a pick job so soon! So they had a midnight tour at the height of the pandemic even though the subway didn't run after 1 am?

Edited by FilippoSironi

25 minutes ago, FilippoSironi said:

oh ok I got it . I would pick PM as well but I do understand that I might not get it.  Good for you that you were able to get a pick job so soon! So they had a midnight tour at the height of the pandemic even though the subway didn't run after 1 am?

The subway did run. Just without passengers. Only quote on quote "essential" personnel.

2 hours ago, FilippoSironi said:

Oh ok I get it so they assigne you the overtime hours in advance. Thank you. 

You can be sitting on report (on the board) for say 2 hours and they can give you a full run to do. So instead of working 8 hours, you now have to stay for 10 (or whenever the run finishes)

I’ve gotten midnight reports on the board and wind up working till 1-3pm because I was getting full runs.  I’m in Buses but it’s the same idea working in trains. 

13 hours ago, King spade said:

Who told you the next class is dec 27th and what training is that class date for ?

A person on this forum was supposed to be in the Nov 15th class but the class filled up. That person already went through pre-employment and medical and got hired and their tentative start date for Train Operator training is Dec 27th.

18 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

You can be sitting on report (on the board) for say 2 hours and they can give you a full run to do. So instead of working 8 hours, you now have to stay for 10 (or whenever the run finishes)

I’ve gotten midnight reports on the board and wind up working till 1-3pm because I was getting full runs.  I’m in Buses but it’s the same idea working in trains. 

MTA overtime is 1.5 time the regular rate right? 

49 minutes ago, Justyn Biggers said:

On the pre-employment package. It saids

to bring a “Successful completion of a drug/alcohol laboratory examination.” Is this something i supposed to do before i come in for pre-employment? 

No. You will be drug tested at 180 Livingston when you go in for pre-employment. 

42 minutes ago, Justyn Biggers said:

Anybody know how long after pre-employment before they call you for the next step?

I did pre-employment on Oct 15th and been waiting for medical since. I think they will be calling soon because the tentative date for the next class is Dec 27th. They may just be waiting to get closer to the tentative start date for the next class. 

Hey Guys, need some help… I had my Pre employment today and had been sent back home because apparently my social security card first name spelling was off by one letter and doesn’t match the rest of my ID’s … they said get a new updated SS card. They gave me a document to make another Pre employment appointment when I get it all settled.. SS is backed up and it won’t happen until end of February.. is 3 - 4 months okay? Will my spot still be held for me? Is there a limit to how long they will hold my spot? 

Thank you 

23 minutes ago, YpresmanBK said:

Hey Guys, need some help… I had my Pre employment today and had been sent back home because apparently my social security card first name spelling was off by one letter and doesn’t match the rest of my ID’s … they said get a new updated SS card. They gave me a document to make another Pre employment appointment when I get it all settled.. SS is backed up and it won’t happen until end of February.. is 3 - 4 months okay? Will my spot still be held for me? Is there a limit to how long they will hold my spot? 

Thank you 

Call and ask them to be 1000% ask to speak to Michelle Vargas or Olha both lovely ladies to speak to and are super polite and helpful.

26 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Call and ask them to be 1000% ask to speak to Michelle Vargas or Olha both lovely ladies to speak to and are super polite and helpful.

Is there a number besides 347-643- 8213 … it’s the only number I have from the Pre employment email. But it always goes to voicemail. I left a message. 

1 minute ago, YpresmanBK said:

Is there a number besides 347-643- 8213 … it’s the only number I have from the Pre employment email. But it always goes to voicemail. I left a message. 

I legit kept calling them not off the hook but until I spoke to a person I heard people not having their voice-mails answered. For Olha try 347-643-8217

3 hours ago, YpresmanBK said:

Thank you 

I don't think they will hold your spot but you will definitely be put you back on the list when you go back for pre-employment. 

Edited by FilippoSironi

5 hours ago, BrooklynN said:

How fast MTA issues uniforms to the new hires? They take your measurements during the first week of training? 

They take your measurements during schoolcar. However it is currently slow. Transit just recently changed their uniform vendor and they are still ramping up production. However, 130 Livingston and some terminals will have spare uniforms handy. Just hopefully in your size.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, YpresmanBK said:

Thank you 

This may seem a bit farfetch, but I would try to contact your Congressmember by phone and see if they can help on their end.

Unfortunately, Transit will not hold a spot for you. Good luck.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, YpresmanBK said:

Thank you 

:( my condolences