QueensBoro/Queens Plaza together at last?

RailRunRob

This would be nice to get deon before the area is completely changed into a heavy residential area, which is what I is heading towards. It would also be nice if they could re-do some of the bus routes in the area. The few times I've had to take buses around there, it was a big mess.

Might as well build it. It saves traffic on N, Q/W, R and 7 trains, saves the time for people going from Brooklyn to Astoria and gives people in Queens Plaza more free access.

That is LONG overdue.  It was never done earlier because until about 25 years ago, that area was heavily industrial with few residential or office buildings in the area.  That area has been built up ever since and REALLY has been built up in the last 10 years to where this is now BADLY needed there.

Doing such would also allow for ADA access to BOTH Queenboro and Queens Plaza.

I'd also be looking at as part of this possibly having the (G) go above ground after Court Square to a new, above-ground station at Queens Plaza and then join the Astoria line and terminate either at Ditmars Boulevard OR extending the Astoria Line one stop to a new three-track terminal at 21st Avenue (with provisions for a further extension to the Bronx via new rail bridges over the East/Harlem River at a later time).  

Might as well build it. It saves traffic on N, Q/W, R and 7 trains, saves the time for people going from Brooklyn to Astoria and gives people in Queens Plaza more free access.

They should make one more modification: put this transfer at the end of the platform at Queensboro Plaza—the end closest to Queens Plaza. It makes sense to reduce the minimum distance walked from one platform to the other, because the current plan seems to force passengers at the eastern ends of the platform to walk backwards towards the middle to descend into the transfer passageway, thus increasing the minimum distance one has to walk to transfer.

They should make one more modification: put this transfer at the end of the platform at Queensboro Plaza—the end closest to Queens Plaza. It makes sense to reduce the minimum distance walked from one platform to the other, because the current plan seems to force passengers at the eastern ends of the platform to walk backwards towards the middle to descend into the transfer passageway, thus increasing the minimum distance one has to walk to transfer.

I agree with that, but I believe it depends on where ADA Elevators can be placed in such a transfer complex.

That said, it you can put them where you suggest, that would help a LOT. 

I'd also be looking at as part of this possibly having the (G) go above ground after Court Square to a new, above-ground station at Queens Plaza and then join the Astoria line and terminate either at Ditmars Boulevard OR extending the Astoria Line one stop to a new three-track terminal at 21st Avenue (with provisions for a further extension to the Bronx via new rail bridges over the East/Harlem River at a later time).  

Let it never be said that you don't have an active imagination...

As for this proposal, why not? It's a win-win for everyone involved. The developers get tax breaks and other incentives for the transit accessibility. The riders get another accessible station, especially one as important as Queensboro Plaza. The MTA gets out of paying for ADA conversion. Hopefully this actually goes somewhere.

I'd also be looking at as part of this possibly having the (G) go above ground

and then join the Astoria line and terminate either at Ditmars Boulevard OR extending the Astoria Line one stop to a new three-track terminal at 21st Avenue (with provisions for a further extension to the Bronx via new rail bridges over the East/Harlem River at a later time).

This was discussed a while ago. The structures for connecting another line to Astoria exists just as it exists for the Flushing Line and the Myrtle Avenue Line. But for the Astoria Line, that structure was for a former connection from tracks running north parallel to the current Queensboro Plaza station. The connection also as to come from below, which means such a connection won’t be coming from Jackson Avenue under the Flushing Line; there are too many support structures in the way. The connection will have to somehow work its way off Jackson Avenue and get to Queens Plaza North. The tunnel carrying the (E) and (M) prevents the connection from ducking under after Court Square. That leaves us with the option of constructing the connection starting from between 21 Street–Van Alst and Court Square. Such a connection would branch off and follow the Flushing Line underneath 23 Street with a separate underground station at 23 Street and 45 Avenue and another under Queens Plaza North parallel to the existing Queensboro Plaza station. From the median of the road with surrounding lanes occupied by support structures, the two tracks would rise up to connect to the former track ways connecting to the Astoria Line.

That wasn’t too much trouble, was it?

/s

I wouldn't have it go aboveground, but an extension of the (G) further into Queens sounds interesting...

Maybe up Steinway Street to Astoria or up Northern Blvd to Jackson Heights and Flushing?

Northern Boulevard is what the (E) and (F) runs under from Queens Plaza to Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue. Steinway Street is what the (M) and (R) runs under from 36 Street to 46 Street.

In either case, it would probably mean bringing the (G) back to Queens Plaza either on the Queens Boulevard Line’s tracks or under the existing Queens Plaza station.

Archived