New Spring Pick Changes (A Division)

I Run Trains

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have the (5) go to Flatbush 24/2 on such weekends and have the (4) and (5) both go local along Flatbush Avenue while the (2) goes with the (1) to SF?

You do that it'll throw everybody off because everybody is used to seeing only the (2) in Brooklyn on Weekends. You put the (5) there people in Brooklyn will have a freak out because they lost 7th Avenue service.

You do that it'll throw everybody off because everybody is used to seeing only the (2) in Brooklyn on Weekends. You put the (5) there people in Brooklyn will have a freak out because they lost 7th Avenue service.

Except they are going to lose it anyway because the (2) is operating via LEXINGTON Avenue and the (5) is operating via 7TH Avenue. 

In this case, it makes more sense to have the (2) follow the (1) to SF on weekends (and if there is enough capacity, the (3) as well) and have the (5) run 24/2 on weekends and replace the (2) during this period with the (4) and (5) both skipping Hoyt Street and running local otherwise between Nevins and Atlantic Avenue.

As this is going to be on weekends for a full year, it makes much more sense to do it THIS way rather than switch the (2) and (5) in Manhattan.  The only difference in this is the (5) becoming a 24/2 line on weekends to replace the (2) in Brooklyn.

I would also have two single-track shuttle lines:

One operates between Chambers and Fulton Street (and if possible, Wall Street).

One operates between Nevins Street and Borough Hall (and if possible, Clark Street).  This picks up Hoyt Street for those too lazy to walk to Borough Hall or Nevins. 

Except they are going to lose it anyway because the (2) is operating via LEXINGTON Avenue and the (5) is operating via 7TH Avenue.

In this case, it makes more sense to have the (2) follow the (1) to SF on weekends (and if there is enough capacity, the (3) as well) and have the (5) run 24/2 on weekends and replace the (2) during this period with the (4) and (5) both skipping Hoyt Street and running local otherwise between Nevins and Atlantic Avenue.

As this is going to be on weekends for a full year, it makes much more sense to do it THIS way rather than switch the (2) and (5) in Manhattan. The only difference in this is the (5) becoming a 24/2 line on weekends to replace the (2) in Brooklyn.

I would also have two single-track shuttle lines:

One operates between Chambers and Fulton Street (and if possible, Wall Street).

One operates between Nevins Street and Borough Hall (and if possible, Clark Street). This picks up Hoyt Street for those too lazy to walk to Borough Hall or Nevins.

I don't see why all this needs to be done, Wallyhorse, if the trains' route displays still say (2) and going down Broadway and (5) going down Lex.

Only change I see - from everyone discussing this - is that crews that normally operate on the (5) instead are going to operate (2) trains, and vice versa.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I don't see why all this needs to be done, Wallyhorse, if the trains' route displays still say (2) and going down Broadway and (5) going down Lex.

Only change I see - from everyone discussing this - is that crews that normally operate on the (5) instead are going to operate (2) trains, and vice versa.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

That's LITERALLY the gist of it.

This is an old school GO. I like it because of course it makes little to no sense(well to me). I believe this was a classic 80's GO when the (5) ran to Wakefield via 7th/ (2) To Dyre via Lex. GO happened almost a decade ago for consecutive weekends, but the passengers shouldn't be confused because almost daily a (2)/ (5) are re-routed. WPR riders will be fine(as long as a (4) doesn't make its way upto WPR or even a (6):mellow:

Thanks for the update Shondrae. It's good to know when these long-term service changes will take place. Of course, it'd be really nice if they put this on the website so people don't get blindsided by this at the last minute. Then again, MTA and proper communications go together like oil and water.

On the subject of these major service changes, I believe they will be the same as they have been every weekend the Clark St tunnels have been closed since the island platform at South Ferry opened in '09: internally, they will be labelled as (5) trains via 7th Avenue and (2) trains via Lexington. The service change notices and the train's signage and announcements will treat these as (2) trains from Dyre to South Ferry and (5) trains from 241 Street to Flatbush Av. There is absolutely nothing gained from deviating from this already established pattern. Here's to hoping they fix the error on IRT real-time feeds to show the trains as they are signed.

Like people actually look at the website. A change can happen every weekend for an entire year and people would still be clueless.

I used to work for a private development right up top from the High Street station. When I TELL you the amount of people a day coming to me asking if the (A) and (C) were running, despite the Cranberry Tube work going on for 6 months at that point WITH signs on the entrance right next to their sorry faces, it's astounding. I can't even fault the MTA because I think no matter what they do when it comes to notifications, people will still find a way to be unwashed.

Watch. The (L) shutdown has been talked about in all forms of media since last year. People will somehow still not know.

Like people actually look at the website. A change can happen every weekend for an entire year and people would still be clueless.

I used to work for a private development right up top from the High Street station. When I TELL you the amount of people a day coming to me asking if the (A) and (C) were running, despite the Cranberry Tube work going on for 6 months at that point WITH signs on the entrance right next to their sorry faces, it's astounding. I can't even fault the MTA because I think no matter what they do when it comes to notifications, people will still find a way to be unwashed.

Watch. The (L) shutdown has been talked about in all forms of media since last year. People will somehow still not know.

You're preaching to the choir.

People in NYC are clueless, period. I once saw a lady wait an hour and a half at York St on the uptown platform for an (F) when uptown (F) trains were running via Cranberry, and there was a sign ON THE pillar she was leaning on. Then she had the nerve of screaming at a cleaning worker for not putting up signs and making her late for a meeting.

1) It's your fault you didn't pay attention because that face of yours was in your phone.

2) What the heck is the cleaning worker going to do?

People in NYC are clueless, period. I once saw a lady wait an hour and a half at York St on the uptown platform for an (F) when uptown (F) trains were running via Cranberry, and there was a sign ON THE pillar she was leaning on. Then she had the nerve of screaming at a cleaning worker for not putting up signs and making her late for a meeting.

1) It's your fault you didn't pay attention because that face of yours was in your phone.

That is that woman's own stupidity.  I learned the hard way 10+ years ago when the Lexington line was out and you had the dueling (J) trains and a slew of other messes on the same weekend to always pay attention when there are such changes, especially on weekends.

Some people are all caught up in their own little worlds and forget the one basic principle: PAY ATTENTION!

This is why I when I make changes, I make it clear I reward those who pay attention and those who don't pay attention don't get where they are going can complain all they want, but it won't make their trip any easier.  

So you watched someone perhaps stalking or spying for over an hour?  :huh: Would have been nice to inform the less knowledgeable passenger or passengers who can't read why (F) 's were re-routed.  

This is an old school GO. I like it because of course it makes little to no sense(well to me). I believe this was a classic 80's GO when the (5) ran to Wakefield via 7th/ (2) To Dyre via Lex. GO happened almost a decade ago for consecutive weekends, but the passengers shouldn't be confused because almost daily a (2)/ (5) are re-routed. WPR riders will be fine(as long as a (4) doesn't make its way upto WPR or even a (6):mellow:

When i was in the A Div they ran a similar GO like this but the 5 went LOCAL in Manhattan via the West Side and Ended at South Ferry.. The OLD South Ferry... It lasted most of the Pick.... My weekends on the 5 was lots of fun...

Archived