Why hasn't the subway system been linked w/ the Staten Island RR?

duelingdragons

Is boring a tunnel between say.. South Ferry, and the northern tip of Staten Island not feasible because of the distance, or just because of finances?

It seems crazy that the only way you can get to Staten Island via public transport (well, mainstream anyway) is by boat.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, I'm just curious..

i know what u mean mate, but its not a subway at all, its a railroad running on fra standards... It would cost millions of dollars to convert to a subway system, which the MTA has no plans, if you notice in SIRT that signals are NOT like the ones we see in NYC Subway, but more like rr's

Even tho the R44SIR are like the NYC's (A) train version, it stil has diffrent componets, and some ripped off R44 like the LEDs

Prior to the MTAs aquiration in the 70s, it was a plain railroad, not and never a subway

IMO i think the TA can convert it, and extend the line off to the BMT (R) line , they did try that in the 30s or 40s i think which they planned, cant remember wll =\

btw wrong forum to post i think, should be ine staten island railway forum

I think it would have been very difficult to link the SIR to the subway because the Narrows are home to very harsh currents. But if it were ot be conencted, rather than extending the (R) I'd extend the SIR to Bay Ridge - maybe to the place the TRX will meet the (R) as well.

Also, I remember the (MTA) sayign they'd ocmbine NYCT with the SIR to create a company called (MTA) Subway. Whatever happened to that?

I think it would have been very difficult to link the SIR to the subway because the Narrows are home to very harsh currents. But if it were ot be conencted, rather than extending the (R) I'd extend the SIR to Bay Ridge - maybe to the place the TRX will meet the (R) as well.

Also, I remember the (MTA) sayign they'd ocmbine NYCT with the SIR to create a company called (MTA) Subway. Whatever happened to that?

i dont find the narrows that bad for crossing, its like the PATH crossing from NY to NJ...

unless the speed of the R46 doesnt catch up to the PATHs standard

i dont find the narrows that bad for crossing, its like the PATH crossing from NY to NJ...

unless the speed of the R46 doesnt catch up to the PATHs standard

I asked in another thread whether or not the Narrows bridge could be fitted with an elevated railbed, but never got an answer. Is it possible? (cheaper than the tunnel)

I asked in another thread whether or not the Narrows bridge could be fitted with an elevated railbed, but never got an answer. Is it possible? (cheaper than the tunnel)

well they could merge the line with the VN bridge, but it will then need to go back underground, so that no landmarks on SI gets damaged, after that connect with SIR tracks

but in order for this to also happen the (MTA) needs to drop the fra standards in signaling, seeing that hardly no one knows how to deal with FRA in the TAs side

if any connection with SIR will ever be made, just like it has been stated before, the most they would likely do is have the line enter SI and have it end at a station where there will be a transfer to SIR. SIR is a RR like LIRR and MNRR. not in the same grand scale, but still an RR

if any connection with SIR will ever be made, just like it has been stated before, the most they would likely do is have the line enter SI and have it end at a station where there will be a transfer to SIR. SIR is a RR like LIRR and MNRR. not in the same grand scale, but still an RR

I can't imagine that plan happening as an ultimate goal. If what you said were to happen, it would probably be as a stage towards retrofitting SIRT to the BMT standard, or at least creating parallel lines, like the LIRR or SBK/NY&A RR sharing a ROW.

U can Thank Robert Moss for that he Built The VN So no mass transit could run over it he was against Transit Expansion.

I can't imagine that plan happening as an ultimate goal. If what you said were to happen, it would probably be as a stage towards retrofitting SIRT to the BMT standard, or at least creating parallel lines, like the LIRR or SBK/NY&A RR sharing a ROW.

yes but they can at LEAST add a track from the (R) (Or other NYC Sub line) to the sirt , that way if the TA plans to add cars to the SIRT it will be easier.

They need to let it run to brooklyn & have a terminal at the end of the narrows bridge. Would decrease car traffic & help improve air quality.

- A

I completely agree in its reducing air quality. Or, this may exist, I'm not sure, but they should at least operate a ferry from Bay Ridge to Staten Island.

I completely agree in its reducing air quality. Or, this may exist, I'm not sure, but they should at least operate a ferry from Bay Ridge to Staten Island.

They only have staten island ferry at the moment. Ferry service expansion would be nice, but if you had rail you could move people more quickly. The line could also run to coney island to increase convenience. You could separate the SIR from this line and call it the staten island connection.

- A

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is not using all of its strength by holding up traffic, i say, build a tunnel from the (F) Culver Line down Fort Hamilton Parkway untion 55th Street. It Becomes an Elevated. At 86th Street, it starts to rise intil 95th street where it meets the bridge and crosses. Once on the Staten Island side, It splits. To the left, (R) Trains to Tottenville, to the right, (R) Trains via St. George Terminal, to Port Richmond.

I vote DOT operates a train over the bridge connecting the R to coney island, and to the sif terminal and sir station at st george. Trains could be orange & be called Staten Island Connection. :)

- A

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge is not using all of its strength by holding up traffic, i say, build a tunnel from the (F) Culver Line down Fort Hamilton Parkway untion 55th Street. It Becomes an Elevated. At 86th Street, it starts to rise intil 95th street where it meets the bridge and crosses. Once on the Staten Island side, It splits. To the left, (R) Trains to Tottenville, to the right, (R) Trains via St. George Terminal, to Port Richmond.

One of those branches is the SIR North Shore Line which is being built for $400 million dollars. But your plan isn't very realistic...

Well then why not link the R to northernmost SIR RR station... that way you can transfer.

You could link SIR over the Narrows to Bay Ridge.

Archived