Why schedule Yankee games during rush hours?

Juelz4309

Ima yankee fan vs mets BUT why on earth do they schedule those games during the rush hours? I think those are 7:05pm games but obviously people start headin out at the height of rush hour. Ive seen PACKED out 4 and D trains with nothin but freakin fans and they stand out clear as day like the undercover cops with all that yankee gear. You got thousands of regular people tryin to get home and then you add thousands more just for leisure??? Dosent make sense!!! Schedule them games for 12pm

or 8pm and the Weekends. Im sure the 7 prolly goes thru the same thing. Am I the only one that feels like this?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Ima yankee fan vs mets BUT why on earth do they schedule those games during the rush hours? I think those are 7:05pm games but obviously people start headin out at the height of rush hour. Ive seen PACKED out 4 and D trains with nothin but freakin fans and they stand out clear as day like the undercover cops with all that yankee gear. You got thousands of regular people tryin to get home and then you add thousands more just for leisure??? Dosent make sense!!! Schedule them games for 12pm

or 8pm and the Weekends. Im sure the 7 prolly goes thru the same thing. Am I the only one that feels like this?

Yes, it's pretty ridiculous.  The other thing is there seems to be NO additional service added.  What I started doing was avoiding the subway entirely, and just taking later Metro-North trains if possible. The subways especially the (B) and (D) are just incredible, but there were times when I was traveling for business and didn't have Metro-North as an option because of my final destination.  They won't start the games later because they want kids to watch, hence why they start them around 7.  Same deal with Rangers games here too.  Used to start later...

Every MLB city (except the Chicago Cubs generally) has games that start at about 7pm local time. The problem is that there are too many people riding the trains here and not enough trains at that hour: The (4) is running at capacity so they can't add anything there, and they've ridiculously chosen to cut (D) service during rush hour.

Noon games (other than those Cubs games) aren't going to draw money during the week because everyone's at work, and as VG8 said, if the games started later than 7pm the kids wouldn't be able to go to the games. If you want to avoid the crowds, take the express bus, the Metro-North, or the (B) train if you're on a budget. Trust me when I tell you, not a lot of people ride the (B) in the Bronx in the afternoon.

The (7) usually gets additional express service heading towards the city for the Mets games and the US Open. I personally don't know why the MTA doesn't just run the (B) all the way to the Bronx for Yankees games to help out the (D).

The (7) usually gets additional express service heading towards the city for the Mets games and the US Open. I personally don't know why the MTA doesn't just run the (B) all the way to the Bronx for Yankees games to help out the (D).

The (B) does run to Bedford Park, but only during parts of the rush. It ends too early (as does the service for that matter).

LOL as if the Yankees give a damn about subway riders...

When I went to the new Yankees stadium the first time, my friend invited me literally the day of while I was strolling through Bryant Park on lunch because he got extra tickets. I told him sure I'd go. (Stupid me not realizing the pain in getting there.  :lol:) They seats were field level. I didn't know about Metro-North at the time or the Bronx for that matter, and just took the (D) up there since it was so last minute and the (4) train was beyond packed at Grand Central.  The (D) train consisted mainly of Yankees fans and I just followed them to the stadium.  They should give a damn since quite a few people in Midtown see their games and use the subway and pay a pretty penny for those seats and overpriced food and lousy booze they serve.  I personally would NEVER use the subway again to get there (I was driven by my friend afterwards back to Manhattan) to the express bus.  

First, 7 pm start times are standard across the sporting calendar and it would not make any sense to have stuff starting any earlier or later on a consistent basis. 

Second, commuting to and from Yankees games is not any worse then what commuters regularly put up with during AM Rush. I've easily made it to and from all the Yankees games I've been to (and i've seen quite a few). If you're able to snag up some decently priced tickets I recommend going to a Yankees game or two. 

First, 7 pm start times are standard across the sporting calendar and it would not make any sense to have stuff starting any earlier or later on a consistent basis. 

Second, commuting to and from Yankees games is not any worse then what commuters regularly put up with during AM Rush. I've easily made it to and from all the Yankees games I've been to (and i've seen quite a few). If you're able to snag up some decently priced tickets I recommend going to a Yankees game or two. 

You got lucky.  If the Lex line is a mess, getting to the stadium can be insane. I had to take the (7) over to the (D) to get to the game because the Lex line was insanely crowded.

And what is the (4) like during AM Rush if you would mind sharing? 

It varies.  The (4) usually has more issues during the PM rush.  It doesn't take much for the line to become a mess with so many people riding.  If you're getting it in the Bronx you're fine, but from Manhattan below 125th street, forget it.  

That's why I usually try to get to the stadium when gates open (which is usually 5PM) whenever I go to a Mets or Yankees game. Its early rush hour, usually about 4PM when the train passes through Midtown, so the (D) and (7) are tolerable at that point. I don't even bother with the (4) at all, the crowding on that train is ridiculous on game day...

Ok I see my rant was warranted lol..I kno they also Have the afternoon D exp skip 155, stop at 161,bypass 167, then switch back to the exp tk. As far as kids being able to see the games and the NBA Finals games dont start till 9pm and im sure kids still saw it so that argument seems a lil invalid. MTA should seriously consider looking into this issue.

Speaking from the team's perspective:

7PM games are scheduled because it allows people to get out of work/school and go to a night game. Generally, the stadium is only half full on weekday afternoon games

And as paulrivera noted, 7PM is the standard time to start games across the entire league (which is why the Yankees are playing at 10PMEST/7PM PST tonight)

Ok I see my rant was warranted lol..I kno they also Have the afternoon D exp skip 155, stop at 161,bypass 167, then switch back to the exp tk. As far as kids being able to see the games and the NBA Finals games dont start till 9pm and im sure kids still saw it so that argument seems a lil invalid. MTA should seriously consider looking into this issue.

The Finals is one thing.  The Yankees play 162 games a year, 81 of those at home, and not all of them can be played in the afternoons on weekdays and weekends.  The game is already suffering as it is since fewer people are watching (myself included  :lol:).  Boring as hell. The Yankees were entertaining back in the 90s.  Now, forget it, but that's another story entirely.  Goes for the entire league for that matter. 

What, if anything, can the MTA do about the start time of Yankees games? It's really not that big of an issue...

It's pretty simple. The (MTA) should be running more service than they are.

You haven't watched the Yankees enough this year if you think they're still boring  :D  :D

The MLB is BORING in general.  The game hasn't evolved at all, and quite frankly, there's far less diversity than there used to be. I think you know what I'm referring to when I say that too.  It's like God, how about we have some Americans of various backgrounds.  More Japanese guys would be great too.  Sometimes the rosters are filled with nothing but guys from the D.R., not necessarily on the Yankees but in general.  There must be homegrown talent here.  If I wanted to watch Dominican baseball, I certainly could.

the finals start at 9 so West coast people can see the game after work.

You haven't watched the Yankees enough this year if you think they're still boring :D:D

I'm a Mets fan but yeah, Arron Judge is a huge story this year and the Yankees have a powerhouse offense overall, ratings and attendance is also up this year.

the finals start at 9 so West coast people can see the game after work.

I'm a Mets fan but yeah, Arron Judge is a huge story this year and the Yankees have a powerhouse offense overall, ratings and attendance is also up this year.

But overall attendance is down and the sport is suffering as a whole.  There's nothing wrong with foreign players.  The game has had them for years.  The difference is there's a lack of balance now.  American kids don't have fellow ballplayers to connect to.  If the guy you consider following doesn't even speak English, well there's a barrier right there.  That's the other reason that the start time can't be pushed back.  The game is suffering enough as it is in terms of getting the next group of fans to watch.  It needs all the help it can get.  I just think the MLB needs to rebrand itself, and there needs to be more scouting of players from other countries besides the D.R.  More Cubans, Mexicans, Ricans, Americans, Japanese guys... A nice mix like it was before.  Dare I say black players too. Very few of those these days too.  Is there a Griffey Jr. around? Can't think of one.  Each group of players has their own thing.  The Dominicans are cool too, but it can be nauseating watching them at times... Over dramatic, and everything is D.R. centric. Sorry you're in America now.   <_<  That's why a nice mix is needed.  

Every MLB city (except the Chicago Cubs generally) has games that start at about 7pm local time. The problem is that there are too many people riding the trains here and not enough trains at that hour: The (4) is running at capacity so they can't add anything there, and they've ridiculously chosen to cut (D) service during rush hour.

Noon games (other than those Cubs games) aren't going to draw money during the week because everyone's at work, and as VG8 said, if the games started later than 7pm the kids wouldn't be able to go to the games. If you want to avoid the crowds, take the express bus, the Metro-North, or the (B) train if you're on a budget. Trust me when I tell you, not a lot of people ride the (B) in the Bronx in the afternoon.

Actually, the Braves this season (playing in their new ballpark) have gone to 7:30 PM starts for night games (that are not on FOX),  The Rockies and Diamondbacks actually start their weeknight games at 6:40 PM local time.

Some are not old enough to remember, but the Yankees for many years used to start weeknight games at 8:00 PM local time.  That was changed in the '80s to 7:30 and in the '90s to 7:00 PM as cable grew to be a much bigger piece of the pie and games generally got far longer (when games started at 8:00 PM, games usually ended around 10:15-10:30 PM).  

Speaking from the team's perspective:

7PM games are scheduled because it allows people to get out of work/school and go to a night game. Generally, the stadium is only half full on weekday afternoon games

And as paulrivera noted, 7PM is the standard time to start games across the entire league (which is why the Yankees are playing at 10PMEST/7PM PST tonight)

As noted, not completely.  The Rockies and Diamondbacks (unless national TV requires otherwise) as noted start before 7:00 PM and the A's also start some Friday night home games at 6:35 local time.   I suspect the Yankees could get away with a 6:35 PM first pitch if they moved it up to such (though ESPN games would be moved to 7:00 PM).  

Come on. Games take 3 hours as it is. Starting at 8 would mean ending after 11. When would people get home? As for many more day games, that ship sailed decades ago. FWIW, in the 50s, night games did start at 8 - but games only took 2 or 2-1/2 hours then.

Also, there are only 81 home games a year -- and many are on weekends, holidays, or the occasional weekday afternoon. So the problems only affect a few score days of the year.

. The Yankees were entertaining back in the 90s.  Now, forget it, but that's another story entirely.  

You're joking right? They are a home-run machine. Great young players. Ever hear of Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez? If not, I can't take you seriously.

But overall attendance is down and the sport is suffering as a whole.  There's nothing wrong with foreign players.  The game has had them for years.  The difference is there's a lack of balance now.  American kids don't have fellow ballplayers to connect to.  If the guy you consider following doesn't even speak English, well there's a barrier right there.  That's the other reason that the start time can't be pushed back.  The game is suffering enough as it is in terms of getting the next group of fans to watch.  It needs all the help it can get.  I just think the MLB needs to rebrand itself, and there needs to be more scouting of players from other countries besides the D.R.  More Cubans, Mexicans, Ricans, Americans, Japanese guys... A nice mix like it was before.  Dare I say black players too. Very few of those these days too.  Is there a Griffey Jr. around? Can't think of one.  Each group of players has their own thing.  The Dominicans are cool too, but it can be nauseating watching them at times... Over dramatic, and everything is D.R. centric. Sorry you're in America now.   <_<  That's why a nice mix is needed.  

So you are for racial and ethnic quotas? The reason there seem to be many Dominicans is because of scouting! They have found a lot of talented kids there. Talent is the sole criterion for entering MLB, and is the sole criterion there should be. (PS, Aaron Judge and Aaron Hicks, 2 Yankee phenoms, are black.)

Archived