B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

4 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

The very first day you’re at Zerega. If you wind up going to Day 10, that will also take place at Zerega. Days 1-7 are at one depot, days 8-9 will be at another depot. If you qualify between days 7-9, you will be instructed where to report for equipment training. (Usually Jamaica Depot)

After Day 10, you will be at Zerega for a couple more days. Not sure on which but you will be. Graduation will be at Zerega. Line training will take place at whatever depot that you pick into after qualifying.

Do you have the cheat sheet for the pre trip inspection 🧐 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

The very first day you’re at Zerega. If you wind up going to Day 10, that will also take place at Zerega. Days 1-7 are at one depot, days 8-9 will be at another depot. If you qualify between days 7-9, you will be instructed where to report for equipment training. (Usually Jamaica Depot)

After Day 10, you will be at Zerega for a couple more days. Not sure on which but you will be. Graduation will be at Zerega. Line training will take place at whatever depot that you pick into after graduation. 

So basically you’re very first day will be paperwork, then they will tell you were training g will be? Is it in all boroughs or certain boroughs? And once you pass on whatever day you do, you will find out your depot after graduation?

2 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Email dcas

lmacustomerservice@dcas.nyc.gov

Name

last 4 of social

list number

exam number

Asking to restore your name to the list

Thank you I appreciate it.. do u know how long mta takes to reach back out to after u restore your name ? 

Edited by Richi3stayfly

28 minutes ago, Richi3stayfly said:

Thank you I appreciate it.. do u know how long mta takes to reach back out to after u restore your name ? 

Depends on the hiring needs. Can be a few days can be a few months. I think they're hiring rn tho so probably sooner. Just be ready when they do cuz they'll email you in lets say a week and they'll want u to come in for a drug test the very next day lol 

30 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

Depends on the hiring needs. Can be a few days can be a few months. I think they're hiring rn tho so probably sooner. Just be ready when they do cuz they'll email you in lets say a week and they'll want u to come in for a drug test the very next day lol 

Lol ok I see what you saying thanks for replying and for your time appreciate boss

13 hours ago, Livinglife said:

So does anyone know where the test takes place? I heard it’s Manhatthan but not completely sure. And what is the route if anyone knows?

If you're talking about 10 day training, day 6 & 7 is manhattan. Day 6 was around Union Square. It was actually the same route we did Day 7. 

Don't fully remmeber the route but I know you'll go across 34th, you'll go down to Union Square on Lexington, you'll pass "The Bean" coffee shop.

You'll be on 34th, you'll make the right onto Lexington. You'll need to get to your left cuz on 24th st you'll be making a left turn on 24th street. This turn you'll likely need to hook cuz there's always a car parked or a garbage bin. If you're lucky, you'll be following behind a M102 and you'll see him do it. 

You'll also make a weird turn right on east 6th st and Cooper Sq, you'll have to hook this or def have your 5 feet of space. 

I don't remember the route fully but those are 2 parts that stuck out.

Take you time, make sure you have your 4 ft of space, if you don't, HOOK it. Turn slowly, if you don't set up the turn correctly, you'll have time to fix it if you're going slow. Simply steer in the other direction (as if you're canceling your turn) and this will help if you're bound to hit the curb. Speed isn't important, skill isn't even all that important. They just wanna make sure you are safe, you'll not gonna run any yellow lights, and you'll not gonna make people fall on your bus.

Check your mirrors before move the bus. Be confident as well. I just past 4 months on the job, I drive out of Quill and a few of our routes actually go thru this test area. Driving on your own is 100x easier than day 6 and 7, and its all just a confidence thing. The stakes of the moment will make things seem harder than it really is, but just take your time, forward plan, and def think. 

On 3/31/2022 at 9:19 AM, KDGallagher said:

If you're talking about 10 day training, day 6 & 7 is manhattan. Day 6 was around Union Square. It was actually the same route we did Day 7. 

Don't fully remmeber the route but I know you'll go across 34th, you'll go down to Union Square on Lexington, you'll pass "The Bean" coffee shop.

You'll be on 34th, you'll make the right onto Lexington. You'll need to get to your left cuz on 24th st you'll be making a left turn on 24th street. This turn you'll likely need to hook cuz there's always a car parked or a garbage bin. If you're lucky, you'll be following behind a M102 and you'll see him do it. 

You'll also make a weird turn right on east 6th st and Cooper Sq, you'll have to hook this or def have your 5 feet of space. 

I don't remember the route fully but those are 2 parts that stuck out.

Take you time, make sure you have your 4 ft of space, if you don't, HOOK it. Turn slowly, if you don't set up the turn correctly, you'll have time to fix it if you're going slow. Simply steer in the other direction (as if you're canceling your turn) and this will help if you're bound to hit the curb. Speed isn't important, skill isn't even all that important. They just wanna make sure you are safe, you'll not gonna run any yellow lights, and you'll not gonna make people fall on your bus.

Check your mirrors before move the bus. Be confident as well. I just past 4 months on the job, I drive out of Quill and a few of our routes actually go thru this test area. Driving on your own is 100x easier than day 6 and 7, and its all just a confidence thing. The stakes of the moment will make things seem harder than it really is, but just take your time, forward plan, and def think. 

Very detailed! Thank you! Will it end in lower Manhatthan. Where does it start exactly and end exactly?Like 34 and then go crosstown a

6 hours ago, Livinglife said:

Very detailed! Thank you! Will it end in lower Manhatthan. Where does it start exactly and end exactly?Like 34 and then go crosstown a

It’ll end uptown near 34th basically where it started. The guy next person will follow the same route. 

so you’ll start near 34th, make a right turn and go down to union square and you’ll end up back on 34th where the next person will do exactly what u did. 

at least that’s how my class went. 

1 hour ago, FrontSt said:

Can someone explain the whole st island/ Queens Ta depot setup allegedly if you sign up for queens and if your assigned a queens depot you can no longer leave or come back ??? That sounds crazy

Both Staten Island and Queens are under the ATU, which follow a different set of rules when it comes to seniority and all that. Staten Island's seniority is borough-wide meaning you can transfer between the depots each year and you carry your seniority with you. Queens goes by depot seniority and there are no system/general picks. You are stuck in the depot that you choose for your whole career. Picking into either Queens or SI is a one-way ticket and you can not reverse your decision. If you are forced into either of those two boroughs you have the option of picking out, which is also a one-way deal.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have two questions if its not a problem to ask, there was just a request for 450 on the cert list as of july 27 and i am about low 200s into that how long will it take to get to my name being the request ends august 30, 

and also i have a cdl B already, i just dont have the p endorsement does this mean i have to do everything all over again? Pre trip inspection and all?

10 hours ago, Kkg said:

I have two questions if its not a problem to ask, there was just a request for 450 on the cert list as of july 27 and i am about low 200s into that how long will it take to get to my name being the request ends august 30, 

and also i have a cdl B already, i just dont have the p endorsement does this mean i have to do everything all over again? Pre trip inspection and all?

In regards to the cdl go get the P endorsement asap cause idk if they’ll even take you without it. Plus you get to skip eastchester and go straight to line training after you complete the first ~12 days of training. 

22 hours ago, Kkg said:

I believe you will need to take the written test and a road test to add the P endorsement to your CDL.  Not sure if the pre-trip is included on the road test, I believe it may be since you have to be able to identify and demonstrate the emergency exits, etc. 

Edited by RailBus63

11 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

I believe you will need to take the written test and a road test to add the P endorsement to your CDL.  Not sure if the pre-trip is included on the road test, I believe it may be since you have to be able to identify and demonstrate the emergency exits, etc. 

Yes you'll have to take the road test/pre-trip again in the respective vehicle to get the endorsement.