B/O #9604 Hiring Process (TA)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.ad709944b622affec9979d37954c1e50.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9604

List Status:  This list has been established as of November 27, 2019, with an expiration date, as of now, of November 27th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.19 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a pre employment urine sample  on sep 3 got a canvas letter a week after once going down to 180 Livingston was told they sent email out in error me and 4 other candidates were upset they told us that the email would have to be something with a money order since then it’s almost December I’m hella nervous it’s been crickets I have yet to get that follow up email the recent email I received was on October 13 stating that as we approach your list number you must be fully vaccinated i spoke to a lady a week before the email on October 13 about the vaccine on what’s going on with the medical and she told me that they haven’t got to my list no yet has any body been through this does it usually take almost 3 months 

5 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Drove a lil day 1, biggest issue was keeping 4 feet of space from the car to my left. I forget this is a big ass bus lol 

Takes a little getting used to but you will get the hang of it. Make sure you are not just looking ahead, watch those mirrors and especially your rear wheels in the right side mirror! 

18 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

Takes a little getting used to but you will get the hang of it. Make sure you are not just looking ahead, watch those mirrors and especially your rear wheels in the right side mirror! 

I'm gonna be terrified when it's time to do the MCI training 😔 especially having to go though the tunnels with it.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:49 PM, SoSpectacular said:

Definitely felt more comfortable days 2 & 3 as far as the spacing.

I kind of still have some trouble with my right side mirror though. I know this is wrong but I usually complete turns using my convex mirrors simply because by the time I'm picking up the curb in my r/s mirror, I'm already clearing it or I'm already making the adjustment based off what I see in the convex and don't really use the r/s as I should. This hasn't been a problem at all on turns except today when I almost clipped a double parked car because I kept turning even though I didn't find it's rear corner in either of my mirrors. 

Another issue I have is my acute turns. I'm either not getting wide enough setting up the turns which messes me up clearing the back, or I'm not turning quick enough and end up having to get backed up. He gave me 2 turns back to back and both scenarios happened. I lost composure and he knew it cuz I was so mad at myself lol 

I feel more comfortable with the bus than I anticipated I would be this early into training and I get hard on myself for mistakes because I don't think I should be making these mistakes. 

1 hour ago, KDGallagher said:

Definitely felt more comfortable days 2 & 3 as far as the spacing.

I kind of still have some trouble with my right side mirror though. I know this is wrong but I usually complete turns using my convex mirrors simply because by the time I'm picking up the curb in my r/s mirror, I'm already clearing it or I'm already making the adjustment based off what I see in the convex and don't really use the r/s as I should. This hasn't been a problem at all on turns except today when I almost clipped a double parked car because I kept turning even though I didn't find it's rear corner in either of my mirrors. 

Another issue I have is my acute turns. I'm either not getting wide enough setting up the turns which messes me up clearing the back, or I'm not turning quick enough and end up having to get backed up. He gave me 2 turns back to back and both scenarios happened. I lost composure and he knew it cuz I was so mad at myself lol 

I feel more comfortable with the bus than I anticipated I would be this early into training and I get hard on myself for mistakes because I don't think I should be making these mistakes. 

Don’t sweat it. You’ll pick it up between 4 and 5. Acute left turns, you have to size up the turn. If it’s going around a curb and the first spot on the left doesn’t have an obstacle, then turn early. This allows you to add as much space on the right side in case you can’t make the turn clean. This also allows you to get in position to pivot around an obstacle in the second spot once your bus is in there. If there’s parked cars on the right side, you need to turn early.

Acute right turns are hook turns.

Either way, remember your pivot point. If your wheel is not turned all the way, you can stop and lock it to turn your turn into a pivot turn.

For your right side turn, you’re going have to track the car through. Look outside the bus to get a better gauge on spacing. With some cars, some parts of it won’t appear or might be lower or higher then what your mirror is set to. You can stop and adjust your mirrors to get a better look. Lean and move around to scan for the whole car. 

6 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

For your right side turn, you’re going have to track the car through. Look outside the bus to get a better gauge on spacing. With some cars, some parts of it won’t appear or might be lower or higher then what your mirror is set to. You can stop and adjust your mirrors to get a better look. Lean and move around to scan for the whole car. 

Hey @KDGallagher, have you considered looking at the handouts, especially this one, which is what Seven is describing? As we all know, there are different ways and/or methods of learning, and sometimes looking at a visual will do the trick compared to just reading the information and trying to picture it for yourself in your mind.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Today was day 5. Highway driving and we were in upper Manhattan, 

First day where I had a perfect sheet 

whole class of 4 is doing well so far, instructor is a great one. 

At this point, I probably already read the bus book about 3-4 times completely, it’s helpful for sure , I seem to catch new things each time I read it. 

@young YouTube channel has been a great help as well 

2 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

At this point, I probably already read the bus book about 3-4 times completely, it’s helpful for sure , I seem to catch new things each time I read it. 

Yes @+Young+videos were very helpful. I can't thank him enough and all others that chimed in to push me to do this. Glad to hear you're doing well. You got this.

10 minutes ago, BoRi1976 said:

Yes @+Young+videos were very helpful. I can't thank him enough and all others that chimed in to push me to do this. Glad to hear you're doing well. You got this.

Word 

everyone on this forum who has helped answer any questions or gave any tips in this thread or another bus thread, thank you … u know who u are. 

this forum is a goldmine. 

8 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

What depot do they have you at for training ?

Just now, FrontSt said:

Thank you I try to private message people but it doesn’t allow me too it says you’re only allowed to send 0 messages a day 🤣 

Yeah. You get access to PM's after you've been on the forums after 30 days. We all went through that as well.