Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

12 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but all CP buses numbered 3000-3124 do not have WiFi installed. Haven't had too many issues as of late with the wifi just not working on buses in which it is installed. 

Yeah I'm referring to such examples. That's interesting. I have been using the QM5 and QM6 on weekends. I will check next time I'm heading out to Fresh Meadows.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah I'm referring to such examples. That's interesting. I have been using the QM5 and QM6 on weekends. I will check next time I'm heading out to Fresh Meadows.

They are all of the buses from 2005 and older, which is nearly half of CP's EXP fleet. My guess is that the MTA figured these buses will be the first to be replaced, so they never bothered installing the Wifi, but considering how long it is taking until the new buses roll in, it is ridiculous that they made this decision. I emailed them a bunch of times about it but never got a response. 

22 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They are all of the buses from 2005 and older, which is nearly half of CP's EXP fleet. My guess is that the MTA figured these buses will be the first to be replaced, so they never bothered installing the Wifi, but considering how long it is taking until the new buses roll in, it is ridiculous that they made this decision. I emailed them a bunch of times about it but never got a response. 

I thought they kept deferring the purchase of new express buses.  They were supposed to start coming in this year but it might be another year or so till they show up.  It will be welcome to have new buses to replace the oldest buses in the CP fleet.

16 hours ago, 7-express said:

I thought they kept deferring the purchase of new express buses.  They were supposed to start coming in this year but it might be another year or so till they show up.  It will be welcome to have new buses to replace the oldest buses in the CP fleet.

2020 is the earliest that they should start coming in.  If not, by 2021. However, there will be no new express buses until a vendor is actually chosen. The contract at this time remains pending. I do know from another member in my group that they were testing the wheelchair situation on the newest MCI's as she is disabled (wheelchair user) and actually was used in the testing of them. Those buses are configured much differently, and I've heard that the leg room isn't as generous. They're pretty ugly too...

They have been refurbishing a number of express buses though. I've taken quite a few of them of late with new seat cushions, etc., I haven't been on any of late that have been terrible per se.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That remains unclear. I know that the new MCI was tested, and I believe the other option would be more Prevosts.

Although I don’t ride express buses like I used to. Much appreciation goes to @Via Garibaldi 8 for the outstanding work on this platform in regards to express bus service. 

Now as far as the vendor is concerned. I hope it’s MCI and not prevosts. Although the current prevosts can do good work on these NYC streets.  Just not a fan of those. However, whichever vendor is chosen it would be a boost in service. 

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Although I don’t ride express buses like I used to. Much appreciation goes to @Via Garibaldi 8 for the outstanding work on this platform in regards to express bus service. 

Now as far as the vendor is concerned. I hope it’s MCI and not prevosts. Although the current prevosts can do good work on these NYC streets.  Just not a fan of those. However, whichever vendor is chosen it would be a boost in service. 

I don't know how good the new MCIs are--they look like a big change from the previous models, at least in terms of seating arrangements and layout. I'm Not saying they are "bad", I just don't know if they would be as good as the existing ones we have

6 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I don't know how good the new MCIs are--they look like a big change from the previous models, at least in terms of seating arrangements and layout. I'm Not saying they are "bad", I just don't know if they would be as good as the existing ones we have

Correct. Honestly, I like the D4500CT’s. 2013-current. I actually took a ride on 2019 CT’s from PABT to Haverstraw  earlier this summer. Very good pick up not 100% on the engine type I think it’s Cummings (need to start studying engine types tho). However, bus has excellent pick up. 

11 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

3330- BP express bus missed a few passengers on Madison and 39th. I want to say about 45 mins ago. 2 ladies were screaming as I was walking by and they tried to wave for the bus and bus clearly was on left lane and not in the proper bus lane for pickup. 

QM21 no? What time was this around?

14 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yes QM21 and it was about 6:40 last night. 

I will check our log when I return to the office on Tuesday and post in the group about it.

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm on the 7:30 pm QM6 to Lake Success (bus 3048) and it is slooow. Left the terminal 8 minutes late; he was showing up at the terminal on BusTime at 7:30 but didn't pull out for 8 mins. 

Smh... Friday, service was not so hot... They’ve been trying to cover those QM1 trips, but on occasion they have one guy do the QM5 to Glen Oaks, buu have him run via Fresh Meadows, so either all trips are covered or 6 out of 7 trips, which isn’t too bad compared to before.

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I will check our log when I return to the office on Tuesday and post in the group about it.

Smh... Friday, service was not so hot... They’ve been trying to cover those QM1 trips, but on occasion they have one guy do the QM5 to Glen Oaks, buu have him run via Fresh Meadows, so either all trips are covered or 6 out of 7 trips, which isn’t too bad compared to before.

Waay better than before!

36 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Waay better than before!

Oh I know.... I’ve been trying to get someone in there from College Point Depot. The best I’ve been able to do is to get a retired dispatcher from the depot. Better than nothing though. We do have some other (MTA) Bus personnel in there though, so I know they’re watching. I’ve had discussions about this before with someone on the side, Whenever they are short drivers or buses (it’s usually buses), they will start pulling those QM1 trips and turning them into QM5 trips or whatever they need. That said, we log that line regularly to ensure that they don’t forget that they need to work to make service and keep buses fixed so the service is met. Anytime they don’t we’ll be contacting elected officials. I don’t think they like getting those surprise letters from elected officials calling for an audit on the service. lol

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh I know.... I’ve been trying to get someone in there from College Point Depot. The best I’ve been able to do is to get a retired dispatcher from the depot. Better than nothing though. We do have some other (MTA) Bus personnel in there though, so I know they’re watching. I’ve had discussions about this before with someone on the side, Whenever they are short drivers or buses (it’s usually buses), they will start pulling those QM1 trips and turning them into QM5 trips or whatever they need. That said, we log that line regularly to ensure that they don’t forget that they need to work to make service and keep buses fixed so the service is met. Anytime they don’t we’ll be contacting elected officials. I don’t think they like getting those surprise letters from elected officials calling for an audit on the service. lol

It is ridiculous that they are so short on buses and the new bus order just gets dragged and dragged! The money should already be there since they approved having this order, there should not be a hold up!

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

Is there a way to get more QM7/QM8 service? I rather take that than put up with the QM5/6 crawling on 6th Avenue.

Crawling where on 6th? Unless there is overcrowding on the QM7 or QM8, no more service will be added until there is funding available from the operating budget, and as it stands now, there won't be until funds from congestion pricing becomes available. You can make your way to Fresh Meadows for the QM7. Last one is 9:20....

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Crawling where on 6th? Unless there is overcrowding on the QM7 or QM8, no more service will be added until there is funding available from the operating budget, and as it stands now, there won't be until funds from congestion pricing becomes available. You can make your way to Fresh Meadows for the QM7. Last one is 9:20....

Around Bryant Park and Rockefeller Center. The QM5/6 either gets bogged down by Tourists, or the Awards show at Radio City Music Hall. There's also protests around Trump Tower that can slow it down. 

6 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Around Bryant Park and Rockefeller Center. The QM5/6 either gets bogged down by Tourists, or the Awards show at Radio City Music Hall. There's also protests around Trump Tower that can slow it down. 

I find the QM7/8 can also get slowed down by FDR issues, or any issue downtown, which cascades like crazy across those tiny streets. Even the 3rd Ave variants can get totally screwed up by a single broken down truck on 57th and 3rd blocking the median area (that has happened to me a few times)

Latest news:

-Ongoing bus lane advocacy:

We've been laser focused on getting the armored vehicles out of the bus lanes and stopping them from clogging them up. Previously these Brinks trucks would drive right down the bus lanes on 5th Avenue after their pick-ups. This morning, this Brinks truck immediately went out of the bus lane after completing a pick-up, which is the way it's supposed to be.

73163350_10217781250175421_6731519487314

-Bus lanes along 42nd Street: 

72348939_10156893551862887_7998241428943

X68, SIM8, SIM8X, SIM22, SIM25, SIM26 and SIM30 riders: The 42nd Street bus lanes are being installed and will be fully operational in the future.

Here's the 42nd St bus presentation: https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/42nd-st-cb5-jun242019.pdf

Lanes will be in operation from 7 - 10AM and 4PM - 7PM, except Sunday.

-Lexington Avenue bus lane: 

72359763_10217782203879263_7569430408052

BxM1 customers: Bus lane implementation along Lexington Avenue continues and will be completed soon. Per the DOT, the newly painted red bus lane “offset” from the curb, will be in effect 24/7. Once completed, this #BetterBuses project will improve bus speeds between 96th - 60th Streets, while opening up curb access for loading.

20 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I find the QM7/8 can also get slowed down by FDR issues, or any issue downtown, which cascades like crazy across those tiny streets. Even the 3rd Ave variants can get totally screwed up by a single broken down truck on 57th and 3rd blocking the median area (that has happened to me a few times)

Yeah, all things being equal, you’re better off taking the 6th Avenue bus, it’s about 15 minutes faster. The downtown loop takes around the same amount of time as the 6th ave pick ups except when you’re done with 6th ave you can jump right on the bridge to Queens where as the downtown buses stil have to go up the FDR and get to the tunnel which just eats up more time. 

The only time it actually pays to take the downtown bus is if you do in fact work downtown by its stops.

Edited by ViaWaterViaChurch

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Latest news:

-Ongoing bus lane advocacy:

We've been laser focused on getting the armored vehicles out of the bus lanes and stopping them from clogging them up. Previously these Brinks trucks would drive right down the bus lanes on 5th Avenue after their pick-ups. This morning, this Brinks truck immediately went out of the bus lane after completing a pick-up, which is the way it's supposed to be.

73163350_10217781250175421_6731519487314

-Bus lanes along 42nd Street: 

72348939_10156893551862887_7998241428943

X68, SIM8, SIM8X, SIM22, SIM25, SIM26 and SIM30 riders: The 42nd Street bus lanes are being installed and will be fully operational in the future.

Here's the 42nd St bus presentation: https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/42nd-st-cb5-jun242019.pdf

Lanes will be in operation from 7 - 10AM and 4PM - 7PM, except Sunday.

-Lexington Avenue bus lane: 

72359763_10217782203879263_7569430408052

BxM1 customers: Bus lane implementation along Lexington Avenue continues and will be completed soon. Per the DOT, the newly painted red bus lane “offset” from the curb, will be in effect 24/7. Once completed, this #BetterBuses project will improve bus speeds between 96th - 60th Streets, while opening up curb access for loading.

Who knew there were still so many armored trucks roaming around! I thought with all the electronic money-exchanging that happens now, these trucks were nearly a thing of the past lOL.