Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Adding what feature? Unlimited OMNY cards? That's an (MTA) Board decision. Anything fare related like passes, fare capping, etc., has to be voted on by the board and passed. The issue I mentioned earlier with the Metrocard problem was an error, so that I was able to get fixed.

No, I'm talking about fixing the issue where if one has a regular unlimited metrocard, that one is able to pay the $4 fare on the express bus without having to swipe into the subway first, since you already paid a weeks worth of trips.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

No, I'm talking about fixing the issue where if one has a regular unlimited metrocard, that one is able to pay the $4 fare on the express bus without having to swipe into the subway first, since you already paid a weeks worth of trips.

I'll ask about it and see what their reasoning is, though I already have an idea of what their rationale is, given previous discussions about providing fare relief/discounts on the express bus.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Some updates:

1. The latest Prevost express buses will be reconfigured to match the legroom on the older Prevost models. Express buses that were already manufactured will have to be pulled over time to make the necessary adjustments. I have no idea how long this will take given that apparently 120+ express buses were already manufactured.

2. At this time, fare capping does NOT apply to express buses. It was stressed to me that this is only a pilot to see how things go and that fare caping could be expanded down the line. I won't speculate further, but to say that the (MTA) is aware. Additionally, all ads related to fare capping on the express bus are in the process of being removed and they will have to work on the announcements as well. @IAlam

3. Using a regular unlimited card on the express bus and being "credited" $2.75 towards the $6.75 fare.... This is being investigated, but this arrangement is likely due to the dated technology, so unless they can re-program things, you'll have to live with it until more features come out with OMNY. @Lawrence St

4. Changes to QM schedules on weekends. I requested that this be included in the Queens express Redesign for the QM2, QM4, QM5, QM6 & QM15 pick-up segment. @QM1to6Ave

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some updates:

1. The latest Prevost express buses will be reconfigured to match the legroom on the older Prevost models. Express buses that were already manufactured will have to be pulled over time to make the necessary adjustments. I have no idea how long this will take given that apparently 120+ express buses were already manufactures.

2. At this time, fare capping does NOT apply to express buses. It was stressed to me that this is only a pilot to see how things go and that fare caping could be expanded down the line. I won't speculate further, but to say that the (MTA) is aware. Additionally, all ads related to fare capping on the express bus are in the process of being removed and they will have to work on the announcements as well. @IAlam

3. Using a regular unlimited card on the express bus and being "credited" $2.75 towards the $6.75 fare.... This is being investigated, but this arrangement is likely due to the dated technology, so unless they can re-program things, you'll have to live with it until more features come out with OMNY. @Lawrence St

4. Changes to QM schedules on weekends. I requested that this be included in the Queens express Redesign for the QM2, QM4, QM5, QM6 & QM15 pick-up segment. @QM1to6Ave

Wow, thanks!

And how do they plan on matching the leg room? That's not possible unless they remove seats.

Edited by Lawrence St

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Wow, thanks!

And how do they plan on matching the leg room? That's not possible unless they remove seats.

I'm not sure how long all of this will take to be honest with this legroom situation, but basically the 122 or so that they have already built, those will have to be pulled over time. The new ones to be built should have those specs applied to them. I was shocked myself. When I was told the model, I had no idea what bus that was, but then I was told the year, so that gave me an idea. I can tolerate those buses legroom wise if you pick the right aisle.

Supposedly, they'll keep working with the Prevost engineers to fix this.

They should rename the City Island BxM8 trips BxM5 and just run them on Bruckner the whole way (skipping Crosby Avenue) to speed up the ride, but still serve the other stops. Run at least 4-6 trips as BxM5 to City Island. Running the BxM5 also on summer weekends can help boost ridership on the BxM8 corridor, especially on Sundays.

16 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

They should rename the City Island BxM8 trips BxM5 and just run them on Bruckner the whole way (skipping Crosby Avenue) to speed up the ride, but still serve the other stops. Run at least 4-6 trips as BxM5 to City Island. Running the BxM5 also on summer weekends can help boost ridership on the BxM8 corridor, especially on Sundays.

No need to re-name anything. On weekends, all BxM8 trips should just be extended to City Island. Weekdays, they can have a few more trips run there as well and advertise the service.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

No need to re-name anything. On weekends, all BxM8 trips should just be extended to City Island. Weekdays, they can have a few more trips run there as well and advertise the service.

The renaming is to let people know that the City Island trips won't be stopping at Crosby and will be going straight on Bruckner.  To speed up the trips for City Island riders and tourists. 

6 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

The renaming is to let people know that the City Island trips won't be stopping at Crosby and will be going straight on Bruckner.  To speed up the trips for City Island riders and tourists. 

For the week you could just make a Super Express. Weekends, regular service.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some updates:

1. The latest Prevost express buses will be reconfigured to match the legroom on the older Prevost models. Express buses that were already manufactured will have to be pulled over time to make the necessary adjustments. I have no idea how long this will take given that apparently 120+ express buses were already manufactured.

THank you!!

On 3/1/2022 at 4:53 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Out of curiosity, what changes are coming to the weekend schedules?  Also, seems like the QM's are due for an update since they've been using the same ones for nearly 18 months now.

42 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Out of curiosity, what changes are coming to the weekend schedules?  Also, seems like the QM's are due for an update since they've been using the same ones for nearly 18 months now.

My comment was a response to @QM1to6Ave's request to have the runtimes changed on weekends. They have not been changed in at least 10 years and they need to be more uniform.  I tried to address this problem back in 2019, particularly for the runtime for the Midtown "loop" from 34th to 57th St, but was told that there were obstacles in getting those schedules revised.  Any revisions to the schedules must be negotiated with the union, so it's a big deal and will take months.  If there is a Queens Redesign implemented, the idea would be to address it then, since many things would be changed. I have to have a wait and see approach with this, but they've agreed to look at it. The last schedule change was for the SIMs on 42nd St and that involved minor changes that were considered a big deal, as again the union had to agree to them. To be clear though, any changes to the runtimes would mean slashing them. That is what I'm interested in, as some trips have too much time to kill.

With that said, there should be some other things coming out that are express bus related.  I'll post here as they come out.

Two things...

1. If the chains have been removed on your express bus, that means you can sit in any seat. Any bus with seats being blocked with personal items in the first three rows is unacceptable and if it happens, I want to know about it. I was on an express bus the other day where a driver had three rows blocked off with his personal items, but two of the rows were still chained off, but as seats re-open with the chains removed, we will be monitoring this situation. Many disabled or elderly people use these seats because they have mobility problems and those people are now starting to take the express bus again and need them.

2. We have been receiving a number of complaints of bus operators claiming that there are no more seats available on express buses, forcing people to wait for the next bus. In some cases, there have been 20 seats. That too is unacceptable and it is a form of discrimination, which is strictly prohibited by the (MTA). These buses are in service to pick people up and trying to place arbitrary seat limits that don't exist or denying paying passengers access to buses with seats cannot continue.

15 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Two things...

1. If the chains have been removed on your express bus, that means you can sit in any seat. Any bus with seats being blocked with personal items in the first three rows is unacceptable and if it happens, I want to know about it. I was on an express bus the other day where a driver had three rows blocked off with his personal items, but two of the rows were still chained off, but as seats re-open with the chains removed, we will be monitoring this situation. Many disabled or elderly people use these seats because they have mobility problems and those people are now starting to take the express bus again and need them.

2. We have been receiving a number of complaints of bus operators claiming that there are no more seats available on express buses, forcing people to wait for the next bus. In some cases, there have been 20 seats. That too is unacceptable and it is a form of discrimination, which is strictly prohibited by the (MTA). These buses are in service to pick people up and trying to place arbitrary seat limits that don't exist or denying paying passengers access to buses with seats cannot continue.

My QM1 and QM31 (am and pm rush, respectively) had B/O's blocking the first row on the non-driver side with their backpacks, jackets, and other items even though the chains are removed. It was an issue on the QM1 because every single row was taken. I was the last one on the bus and would have said something to the B/O and sat in that first row, but then I chose to sit in the middle of the back row since there was at least a seat between me and the other two people that way. I was not in the mood for a fight today (I feel like since the pandemic, I'm having to yell at someone every day for some selfish sh*t or another). Really not cool, especially since this is a very nice B/O I've sent commendations in for, in the past.

I will say, CP has gotten those chains off a lot faster than I expected

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My QM1 and QM31 (am and pm rush, respectively) had B/O's blocking the first row on the non-driver side with their backpacks, jackets, and other items even though the chains are removed. It was an issue on the QM1 because every single row was taken. I was the last one on the bus and would have said something to the B/O and sat in that first row, but then I chose to sit in the middle of the back row since there was at least a seat between me and the other two people that way. I was not in the mood for a fight today (I feel like since the pandemic, I'm having to yell at someone every day for some selfish sh*t or another). Really not cool, especially since this is a very nice B/O I've sent commendations in for, in the past.

I will say, CP has gotten those chains off a lot faster than I expected

Yeah chains are coming off quickly from what I have seen and hopefully the seat blocking is isolated.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah chains are coming off quickly from what I have seen and hopefully the seat blocking is isolated.

I wish i could say seat blocking is isolated but EVERY SINGLE CP bus I caught this week (2 trips per day M-F) had either first row or first two rows blocked off with personal items. Ridiculous. I think the SLDs in CP need to remind all BOs to stop this nonsense. These BOs in CP have become a bunch of selfish babies since the pandemic began. Every other day its some other nonsense and I am sick of it. 

Edited by QM1to6Ave

7 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I wish i could say seat blocking is isolated but EVERY SINGLE CP bus I caught this week (2 trips per day M-F) had either first row or first two rows blocked off with personal items. Ridiculous. I think the SLDs in CP need to remind all BOs to stop this nonsense. These BOs in CP have become a bunch of selfish babies since the pandemic began. Every other day its some other nonsense and I am sick of it. 

I wrote my contacts earlier today about it because it's been noted by commuters along several routes now.  The union head that represents CP is not the most customer centric either. I'll give it some time and see how it goes before I follow up. I have noticed it on any of my express buses yet.

I also agree about the obnoxious passengers. Last night on the BxM2, had this idiot gets on with one of those portable thingys. He comes all the way to the back where the long row is and sits right in the middle, practically on top of me with seats open, so I turn around and said a few choice words to him before moving because he was obnoxious.  He moved over, but then put his feet up in the air. By then I wasn't near him, so I didn't care.  I think I've dealt with him before. Real class act...

On 3/3/2022 at 7:27 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Two things...

Oh I wished I saw this earlier, because almost every single CP bus I was on this week had belonging on the front. With the only exception being on one trip where there was another employee on the route with the driver.

I made some trips to Staten Island this week and some buses did have belongings on the front seats, but the rest we're fine

On 3/4/2022 at 3:45 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

It's funny you mentioned it because a lot of them aren't even wearing masks either. They're afraid of passengers sitting near them because of covid, but not enough to put on a mask.

40 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Oh I wished I saw this earlier, because almost every single CP bus I was on this week had belonging on the front. With the only exception being on one trip where there was another employee on the route with the driver.

I made some trips to Staten Island this week and some buses did have belongings on the front seats, but the rest we're fine

It's funny you mentioned it because a lot of them aren't even wearing masks either. They're afraid of passengers sitting near them because of covid, but not enough to put on a mask.

They just don't want to interact with human beings (unless it's a pretty young lady, who can sit in the very front seat and flirt the whole ride. Can't count the number of times I've seen that, even with the front seat chained off!)

7 hours ago, IAlam said:

6 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

They just don't want to interact with human beings (unless it's a pretty young lady, who can sit in the very front seat and flirt the whole ride. Can't count the number of times I've seen that, even with the front seat chained off!)

That's exactly what it is. A driver I know is actually trying to defend this nonsense. It's outright discrimination and disgusting behavior. Not only are some drivers blocking off the seats claiming they're concerned about COVID, but then refuse to wear a mask, but some are even trying this passenger limit nonsense where they deny people from boarding when there are seats open. Some of them claim they are pissed that the union agreed to re-open the seats.

Well everything else is re-opening, most restrictions being lifted and we are supposed to keep limits on public transit according to them, but "encourage" people to come back and use the buses. It's comical. I guess they think that the (MTA) will keep running service, even if the buses aren't running full... Not happening... If they cut service down the line, this would be one reason why. What aggravation. 

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That's exactly what it is. A driver I know is actually trying to defend this nonsense. It's outright discrimination and disgusting behavior. Not only are some drivers blocking off the seats claiming they're concerned about COVID, but then refuse to wear a mask, but some are even trying this passenger limit nonsense where they deny people from boarding when there are seats open. Some of them claim they are pissed that the union agreed to re-open the seats.

Well everything else is re-opening, most restrictions being lifted and we are supposed to keep limits on public transit according to them, but "encourage" people to come back and use the buses. It's comical. I guess they think that the (MTA) will keep running service, even if the buses aren't running full... Not happening... If they cut service down the line, this would be one reason why. What aggravation. 

Couldn't have said it better. Same QM1 BO this morning was blocking one seat (better than blocking 2 like last week, I guess...)

On 3/3/2022 at 7:27 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

These buses are in service to pick people up and trying to place arbitrary seat limits that don't exist or denying paying passengers access to buses with seats cannot continue.

They shouldn't be denying passengers access even if there are seats. If the passenger wants to stand, let them stand.