Bx9 SBS (Unofficial Plan, Study, Feedback)

Lawrence St

I think I made a thread back in June about the Bx9 SBS but I decided to start fresh over with all the ideas I wrote down from other commuters as well as other people on the fourm. Some changes include:

CHANGES TO BX9 SBS PLAN:

SBS buses operate via Bailey Avenue from Van Cortlandt Park South to 225th St.

SBS buses stop at Moshulu Pkwy and 251st St in Riverdale.

Adds transfer to Bx3 buses.

Avoids congested area on Broadway while still keeping transfers to the (1) within 1 minute walking distances.

I've made a mock up PDF for the Bx9 SBS, so let me know what you all think and what adjustments need to be done. I think the routing around Fordham and Boston Road needs to be adjusted. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y_Xm9jCODJXk7f1VwodDu4gn8JbEX3Gb/view?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

Physically, it's almost impossible to stop southbound at 242 St., and then turn left at VC Park South. This is because the bus stop is on the east side of the divided southbound roadway. Only the western side can make the left.

So move the stop back to where BK is.

19 hours ago, I Run Trains said:

or just turn left on 238 St

Can artics even make that turn onto 238th St? Sometimes the traffic is so bad it's at a standstill.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:23 PM, Melbx15 said:

I like this idea for the bx9 select bus service 

the gap between Fordham rd and E 180st I would add a stop maybe at 183st or 187st 

Are those high-usage stops?

On 9/23/2018 at 1:35 PM, Italianstallion said:

Physically, it's almost impossible to stop southbound at 242 St., and then turn left at VC Park South. This is because the bus stop is on the east side of the divided southbound roadway. Only the western side can make the left.

Of course, I reversed east and west in my post.

On 9/23/2018 at 1:35 PM, Italianstallion said:

I've seen bee-line buses make the stop at 242nd, drop everyone off, and swing over to the eastern lane to VC Park south many times.

On 9/20/2018 at 11:43 PM, Lawrence St said:

I think I made a thread back in June about the Bx9 SBS but I decided to start fresh over with all the ideas I wrote down from other commuters as well as other people on the fourm. Some changes include:

I've made a mock up PDF for the Bx9 SBS, so let me know what you all think and what adjustments need to be done. I think the routing around Fordham and Boston Road needs to be adjusted. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y_Xm9jCODJXk7f1VwodDu4gn8JbEX3Gb/view?usp=sharing

I'm usually against posts and threads like this. However, this was well thought out and executed. Seeing as the Bx9 is on the planning table for SBS, I think this is a good topic because I have a few concerns and opinions about the route myself. However, I'm interested in seeing what others think before I put my $.02 in. 

On 9/26/2018 at 2:11 PM, I Run Trains said:

Um! You know Artics Turn easier that the standard buses due to the shorter Middle... Those buses made harder turns in worse situations!

Of the nearly 10,000 posts I've made over the last 10 years here, I think I've said that about 2,000 times now. lol

The RTS has the widest turning radius of any local bus we have, and the XD60/XN60/D60HF have the tightest. The LFSA is roughly the exact same as the LFS.

2 hours ago, East New York said:

I'm usually against posts and threads like this. However, this was well thought out and executed. Seeing as the Bx9 is on the planning table for SBS, I think this is a good topic because I have a few concerns and opinions about the route myself. However, I'm interested in seeing what others think before I put my $.02 in. 

Of the nearly 10,000 posts I've made over the last 10 years here, I think I've said that about 2,000 times now. lol

The RTS has the widest turning radius of any local bus we have, and the XD60/XN60/D60HF have the tightest. The LFSA is roughly the exact same as the LFS.

Thanks for the kind words! I just wish the thread would pick up a bit lmao

Ok some of my observations from the Bx9 from the past week:

RUNNING TIME:

During rush hours, the Bx9 can get crowded easily and stuck in traffic easily along Broadway, causing delays of up to 45 minutes. When I used to work in Port Chester, I would take the Bx9 to Fordham to take MNRR. I would always miss the train even when I left my house 30 minutes early.

ROUTING:

Broadway's narrow road causes issues with cars pulling out in front of buses, buses stopping to pick up passengers causes traffic to back up, and if an accident happens, the whole route is done for.

FARE BEATING:

Especially in Riverdale, I've seen lot's of people board the bus from the rear door to avoid paying the fare, and if the driver catches them he won't move the bus unless they pay or get off, which has happened lot's of times before.

RIDERSHIP:

It seems to me like most of the ridership comes from Moshulu Pkwy, 251st St, 242nd St, 238th St, 231st St and 225th St on the Broadway corridor. 242nd St's ridership is split between Bee Line and the Bx9.

What could be done:

As for routing, SBS buses can operate via Bailey Avenue and as it won't replace the local service and take some pressure off of the local. Another idea is to have the outer lanes of Broadway become bus-only. SBS machines can also speed up the boarding process.

The turn from 238th St onto Broadway is a little tight so you might wanna push that bus stop back a little and put the stop light before the intersection so cars don't pull all the way up. Also, the Bx9 suffers from delays towards West Farms where operators might have to do their business and try to leave on time for their next trip. There's been instances of 20min and no bus. It doesn't occur as much on the Riverdale side because ridership drops a lot so ops can haul ass if they need to. Would it be possible to combine the Grand Concourse and Jerome Ave into one stop? Can the SBS be rerouted through the tunnel instead? I know the Grand Concourse stop is very busy and it might be too great an inconvenience for both (4) and (D) riders.

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

The turn from 238th St onto Broadway is a little tight so you might wanna push that bus stop back a little and put the stop light before the intersection so cars don't pull all the way up. Also, the Bx9 suffers from delays towards West Farms where operators might have to do their business and try to leave on time for their next trip. There's been instances of 20min and no bus. It doesn't occur as much on the Riverdale side because ridership drops a lot so ops can haul ass if they need to. Would it be possible to combine the Grand Concourse and Jerome Ave into one stop? Can the SBS be rerouted through the tunnel instead? I know the Grand Concourse stop is very busy and it might be too great an inconvenience for both (4) and (D) riders.

@East New YorkI don't mean to bug you but is it normal protocol to have an SBS not serve areas where ridership is low (like the B82 SBS between 37th St & Coney Island)?

Archived