OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

As @Kamen Rider and other MTA employees have posted, there's seemingly no sign of the Employee Pass being switched over to OMNY, and until that happens, the metrocard tech has to stay around or the whole employee system will fall apart. But they don't advertise that to the public. 

I see.  They want us (as customers) to switch first.  If they announce that Employee are not switching until the OMNY is all over the system then i guess a lot of customers will not switch until all OMNY system are in placed like LIRR and the MNR etc.

Edited by mikecintel

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/17/2024 at 8:36 AM, ABOGbrooklyn said:

OMNY bus should be a Orion NG..

Oops, I was away for a while but I was thinking the wide-leaf Nova's would be perfect. They're numbered 8000-8014 IIRC.

29 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Apparently the MTA has activated 39 omny card machines at 25 stations, does this mean the end of the metro card is slowly approaching???

Good question.  I "think" so but we have to wait for the MTA to say something about that.  The meeting was suppose to talk about OMNY last month but it got push back to this month at the end of May.  I guess we will find out soon.

I just went to the MTA website and they are talking about Fair Fares OMNY Pilot Program.  Her the link:

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-new-york-city-department-of-social-services-announce-launch-of-fair-fares-omny

MTA, New York City Department of Social Services Announce Launch of Fair Fares OMNY Pilot Program

For First Time Ever, Riders Enrolled in NYC Fair Fares Program Can Use Contactless Payments with OMNY Card on Subway and Buses

90-Day Pilot Launch Following Largest Single Day of Action for Fair Fares Enrollment

MTA Has Activated 39 OMNY Card Vending Machines at 25 Stations

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) and New York City Department of Social Services (DSS) today announced the official launch of the Fair Fares pilot on OMNY, the Authority’s contactless fare payment system. Fair Fares customers registered for the pilot can now use OMNY cards to pay via tap-and-go on New York City subways and buses. The pilot is scheduled to run for 90 days, which will allow for the agency to collect feedback from participants, evaluate the pilot, and finalize a plan for the full transition to OMNY across all Fair Fares customers at a later date. There are currently 50 Fair Fares members enrolled and already tapping into the subway system and on buses with OMNY cards as part of the pilot program.

Following the Adams Administration’s implementation of the first-ever expansion of Fair Fares eligibility, extensive community outreach, and numerous enrollment events held in partnership with the MTA, elected officials, agency partners, and community-based organizations, more New Yorkers than ever – over 330,000 – are currently enrolled in Fair Fares. This pilot comes after the MTA, New York City, Department of Social Services (DSS) and the Mayor’s Office of Public Engagement held the most expansive single day of action in all five boroughs of New York City to promote and enroll riders into the City’s half-priced Fair Fares program. 

Additionally on April 29, the Authority announced the completion of its OMNY Card Vending Machine rollout pilot program. To date, MTA crews have activated 39 machines at 25 stations with more activations scheduled – providing additional ways pilot participants can reload their cards.

“Targeted affordability is key to not only growing ridership, but ensuring the most loyal transit riders, no pun intended, pay the fair fare,” said NYC Transit President Richard Davey. “Fair Fares reps have been great partners, joining our TransitTalks to help spread the word about this vital program. Fair Fares has serious potential to be a game-changer, and with OMNY now in the mix the potential to substantially grow the program is highest it has ever been.”

“Transit needs to work financially for all New Yorkers,” said MTA Chief Customer Officer and Senior Advisor Shanifah Rieara. “Last month we held the most expansive Day of Action for Fair Fares, because there are so many that rely on transit who do not realize they qualify for the discounted fare. This pilot is a major step in the right direction, and along with our City partners, will continue outreach to riders in every borough so they know benefits available to them including fare capping which would give them an even better deal.”

“New York City’s public transit system is one of our city’s greatest resources, and it is critical that every New Yorker is able to afford to utilize it without sacrificing elsewhere,” said DSS Commissioner Molly Wasow Park. “As a result of our robust outreach efforts and program eligibility expansion, more low-income New Yorkers than ever are receiving half-priced fares through Fair Fares, and as we enroll even more eligible individuals, it is imperative that there is no disruption in service as we transition to OMNY. This pilot will ensure we have the necessary information and feedback to make the full transition smooth and painless for all Fair Fares enrollees.”

Pilot participants attended an in-person orientation where they were able to ask questions about the pilot, including how to reload the OMNY card, which, just like a MetroCard, must have money added to it before it can be used. The Fair Fares discount is added to the OMNY Cards when they are assigned to a participant and all participants will be able to continue using their OMNY card with the Fair Fares discount even after the pilot concludes.

As outlined in the Blue-Ribbon Report on MTA Fare and Toll Evasion, the Authority is aggressively expanding awareness around the Fair Fares program among the riding public to actively increase enrollment. City representatives and MTA staff informed and directed riders to the right resources and information, while offering the opportunity to sign up on site.

Reduced-Fare customers and select Fair Fares customers in the pilot program can now pay their fare with OMNY. In addition to being able to pay for the fare on subways and buses customers taking the Roosevelt Island Tramway and AirTrain JFK can use OMNY to pay full fare.

On 5/1/2024 at 2:10 PM, mikecintel said:

I just went to the MTA website and they are talking about Fair Fares OMNY Pilot Program.  Her the link:

https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-new-york-city-department-of-social-services-announce-launch-of-fair-fares-omny

MTA, New York City Department of Social Services Announce Launch of Fair Fares OMNY Pilot Program

For First Time Ever, Riders Enrolled in NYC Fair Fares Program Can Use Contactless Payments with OMNY Card on Subway and Buses

90-Day Pilot Launch Following Largest Single Day of Action for Fair Fares Enrollment

MTA Has Activated 39 OMNY Card Vending Machines at 25 Stations

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) and New York City Department of Social Services (DSS) today announced the official launch of the Fair Fares pilot on OMNY, the Authority’s contactless fare payment system. Fair Fares customers registered for the pilot can now use OMNY cards to pay via tap-and-go on New York City subways and buses. The pilot is scheduled to run for 90 days, which will allow for the agency to collect feedback from participants, evaluate the pilot, and finalize a plan for the full transition to OMNY across all Fair Fares customers at a later date. There are currently 50 Fair Fares members enrolled and already tapping into the subway system and on buses with OMNY cards as part of the pilot program.

Following the Adams Administration’s implementation of the first-ever expansion of Fair Fares eligibility, extensive community outreach, and numerous enrollment events held in partnership with the MTA, elected officials, agency partners, and community-based organizations, more New Yorkers than ever – over 330,000 – are currently enrolled in Fair Fares. This pilot comes after the MTA, New York City, Department of Social Services (DSS) and the Mayor’s Office of Public Engagement held the most expansive single day of action in all five boroughs of New York City to promote and enroll riders into the City’s half-priced Fair Fares program. 

Additionally on April 29, the Authority announced the completion of its OMNY Card Vending Machine rollout pilot program. To date, MTA crews have activated 39 machines at 25 stations with more activations scheduled – providing additional ways pilot participants can reload their cards.

“Targeted affordability is key to not only growing ridership, but ensuring the most loyal transit riders, no pun intended, pay the fair fare,” said NYC Transit President Richard Davey. “Fair Fares reps have been great partners, joining our TransitTalks to help spread the word about this vital program. Fair Fares has serious potential to be a game-changer, and with OMNY now in the mix the potential to substantially grow the program is highest it has ever been.”

“Transit needs to work financially for all New Yorkers,” said MTA Chief Customer Officer and Senior Advisor Shanifah Rieara. “Last month we held the most expansive Day of Action for Fair Fares, because there are so many that rely on transit who do not realize they qualify for the discounted fare. This pilot is a major step in the right direction, and along with our City partners, will continue outreach to riders in every borough so they know benefits available to them including fare capping which would give them an even better deal.”

“New York City’s public transit system is one of our city’s greatest resources, and it is critical that every New Yorker is able to afford to utilize it without sacrificing elsewhere,” said DSS Commissioner Molly Wasow Park. “As a result of our robust outreach efforts and program eligibility expansion, more low-income New Yorkers than ever are receiving half-priced fares through Fair Fares, and as we enroll even more eligible individuals, it is imperative that there is no disruption in service as we transition to OMNY. This pilot will ensure we have the necessary information and feedback to make the full transition smooth and painless for all Fair Fares enrollees.”

Pilot participants attended an in-person orientation where they were able to ask questions about the pilot, including how to reload the OMNY card, which, just like a MetroCard, must have money added to it before it can be used. The Fair Fares discount is added to the OMNY Cards when they are assigned to a participant and all participants will be able to continue using their OMNY card with the Fair Fares discount even after the pilot concludes.

As outlined in the Blue-Ribbon Report on MTA Fare and Toll Evasion, the Authority is aggressively expanding awareness around the Fair Fares program among the riding public to actively increase enrollment. City representatives and MTA staff informed and directed riders to the right resources and information, while offering the opportunity to sign up on site.

Reduced-Fare customers and select Fair Fares customers in the pilot program can now pay their fare with OMNY. In addition to being able to pay for the fare on subways and buses customers taking the Roosevelt Island Tramway and AirTrain JFK can use OMNY to pay full fare.

And there's still no reduced fare OMNY card for all users yet..

5 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

And there's still no reduced fare OMNY card for all users yet..

I called them and they said it "should be" before the holidays and it should be in the "Summer or the Fall" like July, Aug, or Sept.  Another words the rep that works in the OMNY cell doesn't even know.  Take that with a grain of salt.  Hopefully this month MTA meeting will say when the Reduce Fare OMNY cards will come out and for the student OMNY cards when it will be available.  The student OMNY should be available in the beginning of the school year for the Fall of 2024.

Just got a new reduced-fare EasyPay MetroCard in the mail for my dad with a 9/30/2025 expiry date.  It had the usual language of switching to OMNY using an NFC device or linked credit/debit card.  Otherwise, just wait for the reduced fare OMNY card to be sent out.  Guess there's no changes coming for this situation yet.

26 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Just got a new reduced-fare EasyPay MetroCard in the mail for my dad with a 9/30/2025 expiry date.  It had the usual language of switching to OMNY using an NFC device or linked credit/debit card.  Otherwise, just wait for the reduced fare OMNY card to be sent out.  Guess there's no changes coming for this situation yet.

OK I see. Great then I can continuing using my 30 day unlimited metro card. Thanks for the updated. Well the MTA meeting is coming soon on May 20th and they will talk about the OMNY cards. Can't wait to see what they will say and obviously they will talk about the vending machines that is being rolled out.

17 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Another more obscure sign of the Metrocard retirement: the next two collectible metrocard runs will be the last. There is a press release on the site.

Yes and here is the website https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-announces-final-opportunity-create-branded-collectible-metrocards .  We still don't know when the Final month of the Metro card retirement month is. I guess we will find out next week May 20,2024 when they talking about OMNY and when they will implement in the whole system including the LIRR and MNR.

Posted (edited)

MTA just released the CPC book for next meeting!.  It starts from PG 9-20

Link here: https://new.mta.info/document/140456

I have copied and paste some of the information from the meeting book:

Deliverables expected in 2025 include deployment of the OMNY mobile application, rollout of the OMNY virtual card and OMNY employee pass, and the launch of OMNY service for Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) bus and Westchester County Bee-Line (WBL) bus service.
The projected Substantial Completion date for Railroads work is Q2 2026, pending Board approval and award of new contracts.
Launch of OMNY service for NYC Department of Education students – expected Q3 2024
Launch of OMNY service for CUNY students – expected Q3 2024
Expanded roll out of OMNY service for Paratransit customers – beginning in Q3 2024
Expanded partner implementation of pre-tax programs – beginning in Q3 2024
Bulk issuance of closed loop Reduced Fare OMNY cards – expected Q4 2024 (Let's see if they keep their words)
Expanded rollout of OMNY service for Fair Fares customers – beginning in Q4 2024
Full completion of CVM installation across subway system – expected Q2 2025 (Maybe Metro Cards should to be phased out April-June 2025 because of completion of OMNY Vending Machines)
Launch of the OMNY virtual cards – expected Q3 2025 (Ahhh now they want virtual OMNY cards??.  Before they said there won't be OMNY virtual cards).
Scoping and legal agreements for remaining MetroCard affiliates (NICE and WBL) will continue through 2024 with partner implementation expected in 2025
Scope changes :
MTA has decided to descope Commuter Railroads elements from Cubic OMNY contract and continue using Masabi for Mobile ticketing (e‐Tix) and Scheidt & Bachmann for vending machines. (MAYBE they won't implement OMNY for LIRR and MRN for now) ?? Hmmm
However, OMNY Back office is designed to be scalable to accommodate Commuter Railroads in future. (Might implement OMNY for LIRR and MNR for the foreseeable future??)

Based on an MTA analysis and successful adoption of OMNY, business decision was made to reduce the quantity of  NYCT CVMs from 1720 to 993.
As of May 15, 2024, in NYCT Stations, 89 CVMs have been installed and 63 are In‐service. In addition, 61 MVMs (Metro Card Vending Machines) and 57 MEMs (Metro Card Express Machines) have been removed.

Well let's see what the meeting says next Monday. I can't wait for the meeting and they talk about OMNY.  Next year they will also talk about OMNY in May 2025 and it might be about the LIRR and MNR OMNY implementations.  Some I added my own comments that I put in BOLD and it is in parentheses.

Edited by mikecintel

Posted (edited)

I think they made it quite clear no OMNY for the 2 commuter railroads - ever. "Descope" is the management buzz word that says as much. 

They were never going to give you a discount, so I don't see what the big deal is. NJT, NYC Ferry, and PATH will never use it. The acronym "OMNY" means nothing. The cost of tap in and out devices would have  been in the many hundreds of millions, slowed ingress and degress from stations, and with a huge maintance budget thereafter. Take a look at SEPTA's ridiculous Key System, already outmoded. yet they put up all these technologial protocols and barriers to use the system for no benefit for anyone. 

Edited by Amtrak41

1 hour ago, Amtrak41 said:

I think they made it quite clear no OMNY for the 2 commuter railroads - ever. "Descope" is the management buzz word that says as much. 

They were never going to give you a discount, so I don't see what the big deal is. NJT, NYC Ferry, and PATH will never use it. The acronym "OMNY" means nothing. The cost of tap in and out devices would have  been in the many hundreds of millions, slowed ingress and degress from stations, and with a huge maintance budget thereafter. Take a look at SEPTA's ridiculous Key System, already outmoded. yet they put up all these technologial protocols and barriers to use the system for no benefit for anyone. 

Yes I see about "Descope" and they always say back then oh we will use OMNY for commuter railroads etc and now they have "changed their minds".  Yes I never see the MTA give any discounts at all.  If there were "discounts" then yes I would see lots of people using OMNY already instead of using Metro cards still.  They should give "discounts like the regular fare is $2.90 and if you use the OMNY card you will only pay $2.00.  That would be saving $0.90!. But of course they would not do that.  Single ride ticket is $3.00 but if you use the OMNY card that will be $2.90 and I guess that there discount sort of but only saving $0.10.  They didn't even mention about the 30 days unlimited OMNY.  I just called OMNY CS and they said "it is in the works" and keep on eye on OMNY website.  I though this meeting they would mention about the 30 days unlimited OMNY since Metro Card will be eliminated next year.  Oh well let's see what they will say on Monday.

Nothing in the document about unlimited passes moving to OMNY, which will continue to hinder further adoption.

The risks also mention that the student OMNY may not be ready in time for this school year, so the MTA needs to print a buttload of Student MetroCards...just in case.  If the student OMNY can't launch properly, I'm doubtful we'll see a full scale reduced-fare OMNY card launch this year too.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Nothing in the document about unlimited passes moving to OMNY, which will continue to hinder further adoption.

The risks also mention that the student OMNY may not be ready in time for this school year, so the MTA needs to print a buttload of Student MetroCards...just in case.  If the student OMNY can't launch properly, I'm doubtful we'll see a full scale reduced-fare OMNY card launch this year too.

You're right. You have a point.  Ugh this is a mess and not good.  Well if they can't get this together then people will continue using Metro Cards for the 30 days option then. That's fine by me.  My prediction is they will "delay" it again.  I could be wrong though and hopefully I am wrong.  Maybe in the meeting they will talk about the 30 unlimited OMNY card option who knows and just like what they were talking about the OMNY 7 days when they launched it in the meeting in the year 2022.

Edited by mikecintel

Posted (edited)

Reason why the MTA will not use OMNY for LIRR & MNR I just found out in the documents:

Capital Program Committee Update New Fare Payment System (NFPS) / OMNY

Program Highlights:
The last report to the Capital Program Committee (CPC) for the NFPS/OMNY Program was on April 24,
2023. Since that time, we have completed the transition of this program under MTA Construction &
Development management and completed the schedule re-baselining process. During this process, it was
determined that continuing with Cubic as the vendor for the railroads would result in completion of this
aspect of the scope no earlier than 2027 and require approximately $35 million in additional costs.
The
current fare collection systems in use by the railroads were installed almost 25 years ago and cannot be
maintained in a state of good repair beyond 2025. Consequently, MTA has determined that it is both more
expedient and more cost-effective to negotiate the replacement of the MNR and LIRR fare collection
system with their existing vendors: Scheidt & Bachmann and Masabi. As such, Railroads-related scope will
be removed from the Cubic contract, pending MTA Board approval.
This approach will also allow for
continued use of the MTA’s TrainTime app for mobile ticketing. TrainTime has been a widely adopted
success for LIRR and MNR riders and now represents 70% of all railroad ticket revenue, with 91% customer
satisfaction.

Meanwhile, OMNY adoption continues to steadily increase amongst NYCT customers, growing in market
share by 9% over the past year. Of regular fare NYCT customers, over 75% are now using contactless
payment, with 85% customer satisfaction. The OMNY program has achieved several significant milestones
since last year’s update, including the launch of OMNY service at the first three outside agency affiliates:
JFK AirTrain and Roosevelt Island Tram in the second half of 2023 and Hudson Rail Link in January 2024.
Additionally, pilot programs were launched for Fair Fares, Paratransit, and select pre-tax benefit providers
in the first quarter of 2024. The start of these pilots represented the first use of the OMNY Business-to-
Business (B2B) Portal, which facilitates bulk sales and account management for external bulk user groups.
Installation of Configurable Vending Machines (CVMs) also began with a pilot program in October 2023
and is now continuing to roll out across the subway system. To date, approximately 70 CVMs have been
placed in service at 37 subway stations. CVM installation will continue through 2024 and into the first half
of 2025.

Current Status:
The overall NFPS program remains on budget.
Cubic’s projected Substantial Completion date for NYCT work remains December 2025, as reported last
year. The re-baselined Cubic schedule allows all remaining NYCT rider classes (DOE students, CUNY
students, Reduced Fare customers, Paratransit customers, and Fair Fares customers) to convert from
MetroCard to OMNY before the end of 2024. Deliverables expected in 2025 include deployment of the
OMNY mobile application, rollout of the OMNY virtual card and OMNY employee pass, and the launch of
OMNY service for Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) bus and Westchester County Bee-Line (WBL) bus
service.

Reason is they "need more money" for the LIRR and the MNR to build OMNY for it.  If they are charging "congestion" pricing and it will start June 30, 2024 depending on the lawsuits currently can't they use that money for the MNR and the LIRR for OMNY.  They just "make more excuses" as we all know to collect more money.  If the congestion pricing will not work then it is "waste of time" having the congestion pricing if they are not using that money to build OMNY for the LIRR and the MNR.

Edited by mikecintel

32 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Reason is they "need more money" for the LIRR and the MNR to build OMNY for it.  If they are charging "congestion" pricing and it will start June 30, 2024 depending on the lawsuits currently can't they use that money for the MNR and the LIRR for OMNY.  They just "make more excuses" as we all know to collect more money.  If the congestion pricing will not work then it is "waste of time" having the congestion pricing if they are not using that money to build OMNY for the LIRR and the MNR.

Implementing OMNY on the railroads is nowhere near as important as having more bus and subway service, along with various infrastructure improvements to better support such.

This isn't a claim of unimportance, but a reality check. Besides, OMNY on the railroads is not completely out of the question, unlike a certain someone's wishful thinking.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Lex said:

Implementing OMNY on the railroads is nowhere near as important as having more bus and subway service, along with various infrastructure improvements to better support such.

This isn't a claim of unimportance, but a reality check. Besides, OMNY on the railroads is not completely out of the question, unlike a certain someone's wishful thinking.

What you say is true I understand.  They will implement it...but at some point.  It's just because when they said they were implementing it on the LIRR and the MNR they were "stressing" that it can be transferred from Bus,Subway, LIRR and MNR at that time and they made it sound so easy and it is a seamless transfer and how OMNY is so good like advertising it but when it comes to implementing it then there are hiccups but as with any system in the transit world there will be hiccups. 

Edited by mikecintel

There's some more news about OMNY here but not much more that we didn't know.  Also no mention of unlimited cards.

https://gothamist.com/news/students-seniors-next-in-line-for-mtas-omny-payment-system

They did mention virtual OMNY cards coming for students for the 2025 school year, talked about all-door boarding, and talked about the poor transition from transit benefits providers.