OMNY Implementation/MetroCard Retirement Discussion Thread Bus Division

Lawrence St

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Via Garibaldi 8 I'm not aware if you've received these types of complaints in your advocacy group, but several people have already been frustrated with the fact that the College Point based BxM9 Trips' OMNY Readers are yet not activated and for those who do depend on OMNY have been kicked off the bus by some Operators. Really wonder how this was never thought through, but you might want to bring that up.

Edited by WestFarms36

1 hour ago, WestFarms36 said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 I'm not aware if you've received these types of complaints in your advocacy group, but several people have already been frustrated with the fact that the College Point based BxM9 Trips' OMNY Readers are yet not activated and for those who do depend on OMNY have been kicked off the bus by some Operators. Really wonder how this was never thought through, but you might want to bring that up.

Yes, I have heard about it from some BxM9 riders in the group, though not often, as College Point only covers some trips during the evening rush. Where did you hear that riders were kicked off? That should not be happening.  I boarded a BxM2 the other day and the driver gave me a hard time because my phone wouldn't work with it, but when he tried the reader with his card it also didn't work.  He never apologized for his behavior, so I filed a complaint against him. His tone was accusatory and I didn't appreciate him acting as if I was trying to get a free ride, as I have taken his bus for years and have always paid with no problem. Won't tolerate it.  After I tried five times, I told him the reader didn't work and walked to a seat and sat down. He insisted that it was my card and not the reader, which wasn't the case. I would've happily sat on the bus if he decided to hold the bus and call the cops, and I would've said the same thing to them.  Riders should not be kicked off if OMNY does not work. It's the equivalent of a broken fare box, and it is not the rider's fault if OMNY is broken.  The whole point is so that people who don't have a Metrocard can pay for their fare.  

I had a long conference call about them eliminating coins on express buses some months ago, and even spoke before the board about it. It was not a popular decision with riders, but the (MTA) 's response was not many people used coins on express buses, and thus allowing coins wasn't needed, so here we are.  If they're going to make it more difficult for us to pay when we don't live near subway stations then it is what it is.  

There are some riders that have switched over to OMNY for their trips, and that is their right.  They should not be penalized for that. I am going to reach out about this.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

4236 (B82 today), 7802 (maybe) & 7698 (B83 couple days) have readers. I think there's more out of ENY that has readers as of this month.

That was a former West Farms bus, so that unit probably got those readers while it was still up in the Bronx. Wouldn’t be surprised if 7697 and 7734-7737 also have readers, as those were also sent to ENY from WF.

@WestFarms36 The BxM9 situation will be addressed soon, as Queens and Brooklyn express buses are still on schedule to have OMNY installed on them. I got a response today regarding my question. It wasn't done intentionally. Basically an oversight and they apologize for any inconvenience. We got about a month and change left before the year ends, so not much more time before we see it on all buses.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

57 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ulmer Park has started and Spring Creek as well, even though they are technically part of the Queens Division.

Yeh.. Spring Creek in the Queens Division is very funny to me and never understood the re-alignment and plus Spring Creek does not have the Q7 or Q8 to even constitute itself belonging in the Queens Division.  Spring Creek needs to return to the Brooklyn Division.

20 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

As of last weekend some of our C40s at Gleason have gotten bases installed. Haven't seen anything on the Xcelsiors yet...

Any Rear door bases on JG's C40LF's yet or just the Front, because 216 so far is the only one I've spotted with a base in the rear.