OMNY Implementation/MetroCard Retirement Discussion Thread Bus Division

Lawrence St

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

OMNY is now set to go live on all buses and at all subway stations today, so the program is supposedly completed. We shall see... This was said for the Bronx buses months ago, but some local and express buses still did not have readers as late as this month, months after. <_<

Great! I been waiting for all the buses to activate OMNY for a long time especially in Queens.

34 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

Great! I been waiting for all the buses to activate OMNY for a long time especially in Queens.

Yeah, if there are any buses with no reader on them, if they're express buses, I'm happy to reach out about them to have them fixed. They've been fairly quick with taking care of things of late.

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, if there are any buses with no reader on them, if they're express buses, I'm happy to reach out about them to have them fixed. They've been fairly quick with taking care of things of late.

I see.  Yes the good thing is they take care of it fairly quick.

16 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

Every bus should have at least the front readers. However, on my way to work on January 1 (evening of January 1), it was not working on bus 9560.

There's a good amount of readers not working, it's mainly on the Queens and Brooklyn divisions. Most of the other boroughs are fine given that they were set up months ago and not rushed. 

Is OMNY payment accepted on Queens buses now? The last few buses I’ve been on have OMNY readers that no longer display coming soon but instead reads “Tap Here”. 

I’ve also noticed that the old payment sticker that’s by the front door has been replaced with an OMNY sticker on various buses. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Is OMNY payment accepted on Queens buses now? The last few buses I’ve been on have OMNY readers that no longer display coming soon but instead reads “Tap Here”. 

I’ve also noticed that the old payment sticker that’s by the front door has been replaced with an OMNY sticker on various buses. 

Yes it is accepted on all Queens buses now.  If it says "Tap Here" then it is working.  The last time I was on a Queens bus I didn't see that sign perhaps they are slowly changing it now.

58 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That's what the OMNY readers should say when they're in working order. OMNY is active on all MTA-operated buses and subway stations. There's a few buses roaming around with non-working OMNY readers that say "Not In Service" or "Coming Soon" but they should be active on all for the most part. In the instances of a broken OMNY reader, treat it like a broken farebox and keep walking. 

1 minute ago, lornaevo said:

I see the finally got CP Depot Decal on the buses. 

Do you know if the new Prevost's have OMNY readers? I was walking past 0023 in Manhattan and I didn't see any reader inside. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place or maybe because it's a demonstrator and they don't want to go through the hassle of installing one?

5 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Do you know if the new Prevost's have OMNY readers? I was walking past 0023 in Manhattan and I didn't see any reader inside. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place or maybe because it's a demonstrator and they don't want to go through the hassle of installing one?

I’ll let you know when I get back to the depot. 

11 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I didn’t see an omny on those buses. 

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Strange... They should have it on them if they are in service.

So I was inside one of those buses today and they have started the installation of omny. For now the only thing that’s install is the wire harness and mounting hardware. The base isn’t fully installed yet. Keep in mind, they don’t have plates on those buses yet. They are training with temp paper plates. 

4 hours ago, lornaevo said:

So I was inside one of those buses today and they have started the installation of omny. For now the only thing that’s install is the wire harness and mounting hardware. The base isn’t fully installed yet. Keep in mind, they don’t have plates on those buses yet. They are training with temp paper plates. 

Yeah well they when they rolled out OMNY for Bronx express buses, I got a number of complaints from BxM9 riders that their buses did NOT have the readers because some trips are covered out of College Point Depot. When I reached out to complain, they apologized and said it would be addressed by the end of the year. Now they have these new buses without the readers. Some drivers have not been understanding and have become nasty demanding payment with a Metrocard. If the (MTA) is going to claim that all buses have OMNY, then they should have them. Puts the riders in a awkward situation. For those of us without subway service, we can FINALLY just board the damn the bus and pay and not have to go find the nearest subway station just to fill Metrocard to take the express bus.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah well they when they rolled out OMNY for Bronx express buses, I got a number of complaints from BxM9 riders that their buses did NOT have the readers because some trips are covered out of College Point Depot. When I reached out to complain, they apologized and said it would be addressed by the end of the year. Now they have these new buses without the readers. Some drivers have not been understanding and have become nasty demanding payment with a Metrocard. If the (MTA) is going to claim that all buses have OMNY, then they should have them. Puts the riders in a awkward situation. For those of us without subway service, we can FINALLY just board the damn the bus and pay and not have to go find the nearest subway station just to fill Metrocard to take the express bus.

Well, to be fair the buses aren’t in revenue service just yet. So we can really say omny won’t be installed before that.