Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

23 hours ago, IAlam said:

But instead of a Q78 extension or a route that mirrors it down Springfield, I'd rather see a route connecting the Bronx with Great Neck. A route going from the Bronx could start somewhere along the (6) line and after going over the bridge cutting through Bayside and connecting with the Q78 around Northern and Bell before continuing over to Great Neck for people to connect with all the NICE buses over there. A route like that opens up connections and destinations that just aren't possible now without a car. 

(1) How much demand is there for a Bronx-to-Great Neck route?   

(2) If I were creating a route over the Throgs Neck Bridge, I'd have it run from Downtown Jamaica via Hillside Avenue, then north on the Clearview Expressway and over the Throgs Neck Bridge to Pelham Bay or Westchester Square. Maybe hop off the Clearview to make stops at Union Turnpike and/or Northern Blvd.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

So from what I’m seeing, most of y’all are fine with the sheepshead to rockaway route, I don’t see the MTA doing that however. Haven’t heard many people talk about such route til now. It might work? And answer this, does the Belt Pkwy have traffic like the LIE do? If so, then they should think somewhere else to run the route along. As for throngs neck, it could work, but I hope y’all know there’s no exit from that bridge heading into Queens, so it will have to get off at 26th Avenue if anything. I think it could work IMO, having it run between Westchester Square and maybe Green Acres. Could open some opportunity doors. However, as a rush route

However, I do NOT see the MTA doing this right here. Bronx to Great Neck. They wouldn’t even think that deep and that’s their issue. I do like how you’re thinking tho. I just don’t think it will become reality

I'm not for any of those 3 suggestions....

• The Sheepshead-Rockaways suggestion I've already opined on on here about in years past & quite honestly, I don't care to speak on it any further....
  • Having the proposed Q78 run up to Westchester Sq. I simply wouldn't bother with; that's a route I'd keep within Queens (although @BM5 via Woodhaven didn't mention this, I see slightly more Bronxites being drawn to it to use it as a conduit to get to JFK, than (more) Queens patrons using it to get to those medical facilities just north of Westchester Sq - Neither of which I see as being high, regardless)....
  • As for a Bronx - Great Neck route, I honestly don't know what the draw is even supposed to be, for either side of the equation....
1 hour ago, Fire Mountain said:

What’s y’all opinion on the Q51 SBS (or crosstown) heading from Gateway to Cambria? I personally don’t care, but what y’all think?

AFAIC, being that they're taking away the Q8 from Gateway Mall (which the current route hardly brings folks along/around the 101st av corridor, etc. to the mall), they're using this proposed Q51 to try to bring a completely different set of Queens patrons to the mall....Well that, and connecting SE Queens patrons to the (A)... Nothing necessarily wrong with them wanting to do that per se, but I personally think both will be futile.... More of those folks will still gravitate towards Green Acres & that entire strip along Rockaway Blvd (5 Towns, etc)....

Edited by B35 via Church

4 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

(2) If I were creating a route over the Throgs Neck Bridge, I'd have it run from Downtown Jamaica via Hillside Avenue, then north on the Clearview Expressway and over the Throgs Neck Bridge to Pelham Bay or Westchester Square. Maybe hop off the Clearview to make stops at Union Turnpike and/or Northern Blvd.

That will not work at all considering how 

1. It will look like a local rip off of the Q44 in terms of where it’s terminating

2. The route will just be unreliable and pointless. I personally do not see this working nor a lot of people riding this route 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

• As for a Bronx - Great Neck route, I honestly don't know what the draw is even supposed to be, for either side of the equation....

What I’m guessing is… Start at Westchester square, then travel down Westchester ave onto cross Bronx and down throgs, onto 26th and Bell, then hit northern? 

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

AFAIC, being that they're taking away the Q8 from Gateway Mall (which the current route hardly brings folks along/around the 101st av corridor, etc. to the mall), they're using this proposed Q51 to try to bring a completely different set of Queens patrons to the mall....Well that, and connecting SE Queens patrons to the (A)... Nothing necessarily wrong with them wanting to do that per se, but I personally think both will be futile.... More of those folks will still gravitate towards Green Acres & that entire strip along Rockaway Blvd (5 Towns, etc)....

Hmm, that may be likely considering how it’s closer to the People in Cambria and JFK more of a reliable terminal anyways than Gateway

19 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

(1) How much demand is there for a Bronx-to-Great Neck route?   

18 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not for any of those 3 suggestions....

From how I see it it's not capturing existing demand as I highly doubt anyone going from the Bronx to Eastern Queens or Nassau is currently using transit. But it opens the door for people from the Bronx to connect to routes like the proposed Q78 to get to SE Queens, it allows medical center and hospital workers to connect with the n25/26, and any students that may wanna attend the colleges along the n20H. While I doubt you'd get hoards of people on day one I feel like over time people would start to utilize it as they figure out how to use it. 

20 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

However, I do NOT see the MTA doing this right here. Bronx to Great Neck. They wouldn’t even think that deep and that’s their issue. I do like how you’re thinking tho. I just don’t think it will become reality

Me too honestly, even if a route like this could be on the table I could see both NICE and the MTA push the responsibility on to the other agency because neither of them would want to take the risk.  

1 minute ago, IAlam said:

From how I see it it's not capturing existing demand as I highly doubt anyone going from the Bronx to Eastern Queens or Nassau is currently using transit. But it opens the door for people from the Bronx to connect to routes like the proposed Q78 to get to SE Queens, it allows medical center and hospital workers to connect with the n25/26, and any students that may wanna attend the colleges along the n20H. While I doubt you'd get hoards of people on day one I feel like over time people would start to utilize it as they figure out how to use it. 

Me too honestly, even if a route like this could be on the table I could see both NICE and the MTA push the responsibility on to the other agency because neither of them would want to take the risk.  

I the n20H should be combined with the q12. 

3 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

So I’m on the Q30 right now, heading to work, and this damn bus STAYS running late af 🤦🏾‍♂️ hopefully with this redesign, they also fix the timing on these damn buses. This lowkey pissed me off as ima now be late for work 

QBR is essentially making the Q30 worse. The Q88 would be even more delayed than the current Q30.

18 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:
21 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What I’m guessing is… Start at Westchester square, then travel down Westchester ave onto cross Bronx and down throgs, onto 26th and Bell, then hit northern?

For clarity purposes, when I say "draw" (in this case), I'm not referring to how a route of sorts would be routed... I'm referring to what would lure enough potential passengers to a route of sorts - especially to justify its existence....

3 hours ago, IAlam said:

...While I doubt you'd get hoards of people on day one I feel like over time people would start to utilize it as they figure out how to use it.

I don't overly concern myself with some route's inaugural usage... I've long conveyed the sentiment on these parts that you should never judge how un/popular some bus route typically is, just based off one solitary trip... I'm more interested in noting the pace (or stagnancy) of some new route's growth over the course of years (case in point, the current {and apparently, soon to be defunct} B32 & B84)...

10 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

Ok, I got an idea. Hear me out. The Q96 Rush. Operates between Roosevelt Island and either Corona or College Point via Northern Bl as an express option to the Q66 (but not touching Main Street) and still providing RI residents a one seat ride to Queens Plaza (unlike the Q104 in the proposal) 

What y’all think?

...but why? Where's the demand between Northern Blvd and Roosevelt Island? Running it to College Point and bypassing Main St doesn't make any sense either, because again, where's the demand between Northern Blvd and College Point?

On 9/1/2023 at 11:44 PM, TheNextGen2009 said:

What's everyone's thoughts on the Q54 Limited? Is there a possibility that it will make it onto the final plan?

Yeah, highly likely their proposed Q54 will stick, because they have it making less stops (which is the one of the major sticking points of the entire redesign)....

15 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

Ok, I got an idea. Hear me out. The Q96 Rush. Operates between Roosevelt Island and either Corona or College Point via Northern Bl as an express option to the Q66 (but not touching Main Street) and still providing RI residents a one seat ride to Queens Plaza (unlike the Q104 in the proposal) 

What y’all think?

I'd say something like this in its entirety would defeat the purpose of being a rush route....

Breaking it down, I can't fathom anyone in College Point sacrificing the current taking of buses (Q25, Q65) to Flushing for the (7), to opt to take a bus directly from College Point to Queens Plaza..... As for Corona, that neighborhood is actually getting improved access to the (7) with this redesign.... I mean, while there are bus routes from points south (of Northern) that connect to Northern, I don't necessarily think that another layer of service along that much of Northern Blvd. a] is really needed, and b] should even descend down to Corona....

I agree that *something* should still run b/w Roosevelt Island & Queens Plaza... However, I don't think it should be a route running out to either Corona or College Point.

Those are my thoughts.

23 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, highly likely their proposed Q54 will stick, because they have it making less stops (which is the one of the major sticking points of the entire redesign)....

Have it rebranded as a "limited"? I don't particularly agree with. A "limited branch" like the formerly proposed QT3 I agree with. Limited in the Queens redesign is just a fancier way of saying we gonna get rid of more stops. At the very least I hope they correctly brand the Q54 as a local.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Have it rebranded as a "limited"? I don't particularly agree with. A "limited branch" like the formerly proposed QT3 I agree with. Limited in the Queens redesign is just a fancier way of saying we gonna get rid of more stops. At the very least I hope they correctly brand the Q54 as a local.

It a gpolifity local because all they are doing is eliminating.

stops

24 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Never said I agreed with it.... However, I don't see them doing away with that particular proposal... Two different things.

9 hours ago, MTA Dude said:

...but why? Where's the demand between Northern Blvd and Roosevelt Island? Running it to College Point and bypassing Main St doesn't make any sense either, because again, where's the demand between Northern Blvd and College Point?

I was honestly thinking of better and quicker connectivity between NE and SE Queens buswise. I thought it would be useful 🤷🏾‍♂️

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'd say something like this in its entirety would defeat the purpose of being a rush route....

Breaking it down, I can't fathom anyone in College Point sacrificing the current taking of buses (Q25, Q65) to Flushing for the (7), to opt to take a bus directly from College Point to Queens Plaza..... As for Corona, that neighborhood is actually getting improved access to the (7) with this redesign.... I mean, while there are bus routes from points south (of Northern) that connect to Northern, I don't necessarily think that another layer of service along that much of Northern Blvd. a] is really needed, and b] should even descend down to Corona....

I agree that *something* should still run b/w Roosevelt Island & Queens Plaza... However, I don't think it should be a route running out to either Corona or College Point.

Those are my thoughts.

I see your point in terms of connection to the 7, I just thought western northern could use a faster route since sometimes the 66 be slow and not due to traffic. As far as between RI and QP, yea it’s stupid how they don’t have a connection between the two destinations cause Queens Plaza is like the closest big transportation hub for RI residents. That’s a big part of why I was thinking of this route. 

Oh yeah, and speaking of routes, they better NOT go through with the Q82 cause it’s basically just another Q2 if you really think about it in terms of terminals and how they both run along hillside before 188th St and then Hempstead after Springfield Bl. That route pointless af

That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it for the first time. Not really a bright idea.

Kinda like the Q52 in a way. Pretty unnecessary to send it up to the (7)(E)(F)(M)(R)when the Q53 is already doing that. Speaking about that, Broadway and Roosevelt are gonna be f**ked with the amount of traffic thanks to the amount of routes being sent there.

Edited by TheNextGen2009
additional thoughts

11 minutes ago, TheNextGen2009 said:

That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it for the first time. Not really a bright idea.

Kinda like the Q52 in a way. Pretty unnecessary to send it up to the (7)(E)(F)(M)(R)when the Q53 is already doing that. Speaking about that, Broadway and Roosevelt are gonna be f**ked with the amount of traffic thanks to the amount of routes being sent there.

That’s what I’m saying gang. Broadway already be packed with traffic between Roosevelt and Queens Blvd to begin with so why would they think throwing in the 52 would work, however I do like how they wanna truncate the 53 over there to Roosevelt, the 70 already heads to woodside anyways and the 53 still has connection to the 7 at Roosevelt. Don’t think much connect to the LIRR from the 53 anyways 

18 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

That’s what I’m saying gang. Broadway already be packed with traffic between Roosevelt and Queens Blvd to begin with so why would they think throwing in the 52 would work, however I do like how they wanna truncate the 53 over there to Roosevelt, the 70 already heads to woodside anyways and the 53 still has connection to the 7 at Roosevelt. Don’t think much connect to the LIRR from the 53 anyways 

I disagree on the 53 being truncated there. I doubt there would be enough room for buses to terminate there. Of course, much of the ridership ends at 74 St-Broadway, but still, how would they arrange things so both the 52 and 53 could terminate there?

I was honestly thinking of better and quicker connectivity between NE and SE Queens buswise. I thought it would be useful 🤷🏾‍♂️

I see your point in terms of connection to the 7, I just thought western northern could use a faster route since sometimes the 66 be slow and not due to traffic. As far as between RI and QP, yea it’s stupid how they don’t have a connection between the two destinations cause Queens Plaza is like the closest big transportation hub for RI residents. That’s a big part of why I was thinking of this route. 

Currently there is a connection between Roosevelt Island and Queens Plaza in the 102. It's unfortunate it'll be split in 2. The 104 extended west and a new 105 on 31 St. Most it not all of the buses on 21 will serve Court Square instead of Queens Plaza. 

Oh, I get wanting to suggesting faster service along Northern... However, I don't get sending it to College Point if it's going to pan that far east, when the masses along Northern boarding EB buses past a certain point, are heading to Flushing.... It really is amazing how fast those EB Q66's fill up in Jackson Hgts. heading towards Flushing... I would understand the Corona suggestion a little more, if the redesign didn't improve service to the (7) for those folks.

Oh yeah, and speaking of routes, they better NOT go through with the Q82 cause it’s basically just another Q2 if you really think about it in terms of terminals and how they both run along hillside before 188th St and then Hempstead after Springfield Bl. That route pointless af

Currently, the Q36 runs on 212th pl/212th st.... If they were to do away with the Q82, then you have nothing running northerly-southerly between Francis Lewis & Springfield.... The distance b/w Jamaica av & Hillside av significantly increases east of Hollis.... Doesn't necessarily have to be with the proposed Q82, but I think that coverage is necessary... Way I see it, the proposed Q82 isn't (or shouldn't) be nullified/minimized because it shares both end terminals with the Q2....

2 hours ago, Fire Mountain said:

Much of nobody connects to the LIRR from either the Q53 or the Q70... Lol...

They propose ending Q52's & Q53's over there along 37th rd off 75th st (which is currently an area where pull-outs park at, before starting a run on the Q33 or the Q49 or whatever), but that's still NOT going to be enough space for them - given that they're both artic routes :lol:... To have all those artics making all those turns in the general area around 74th/Broadway is just short-sighted on their part....

I mean yeah, the masses on NB Q53's tend to tank out at 74th, but at the same time, its current terminal along 61st simply makes for a better layover spot... That 74th-Broadway-Roosevelt junction is a mess.... If it's anything that should end at, or around Moore Terminal more than the other, it's the Q70 over the Q53... The Q70 sees a smaller percentage of its total passengers boarding at 61st than that of the Q53.... Not to mention that it (Q70) already has a spot inside Moore Terminal....

Coming from someone that thinks the Q52 shouldn't even exist (I have enough mini-rants on this forum regarding that), I think it's disgusting the way the MTA continues to try to force-feed the Q52 down riders' throats... That much was blatantly evident when they originally suggested axing the Q53 in the first draft - full knowing subway service west of the Hammels Wye is utter shit, compared to that of subway service east of the wye....

1 hour ago, TheNextGen2009 said:

I disagree on the 53 being truncated there. I doubt there would be enough room for buses to terminate there. Of course, much of the ridership ends at 74 St-Broadway, but still, how would they arrange things so both the 52 and 53 could terminate there?

On the remix map, they have buses ending on 37th rd. between 75thst. & 76th st.... But I still don't see that being enough space for both routes; buses will end up bunching,  especially given how traffic slogs along Broadway.... Being that I used to work in Woodside, there'd be times where the Q53 would arrive in threes at 61st.... You add the Q52 in the mix, you run the risk of consistently having buses arrive in 3's... That area will not be able to handle that... Residents will start complaining about increased congestion (mainly along Roosevelt) & they'd have a valid gripe too.