Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

Y’all still debating on the Q57-A train comparison thing? I thought it was clear it would not exactly work…. 🤔 

But anyways, anyone know if the Q58/98-SBS plan the MTA doing is staying or was it cut?

It's like beating a dead horse. I highly doubt anybody from Floral Park or Queens Village is trying to get to the (A). It seems to me the only way this 57 will work if there's a bunch of short turns

Edited by Q43LTD

24 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

QV is too far from QCC and too far from Forest Park

QV is actually closer to QCC by 3 miles compared to Stengel. Stengel is about 8 miles whereas QV is about 5 miles.

Forest Park to Casey Stengel is also about 8 miles. The Q73 would work at either depot.

6 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I’m just pointing out that routing matters and connections help, because the Q112 keeps being used as a reference and the routing sucks.

Example. N22 and N24 both go between Jamaica and Roosevelt Field. N22 gets more usage because it’s faster, less traffic signals , less idle time. 
The 57 will be more direct and connect to LIRR/Air Train/ Etc. We’ll see how they address Liberty Ave traffic.

Right, except you're defending the entirety of the proposed route, not just the portion that's being made direct between Rockaway Blvd. (A) & the heart of Jamaica.... The proposed Q57 has no business being one route from end to end, save for the sake of being f***ing cheap.....

...and how exactly is comparing the [n22 & n24] to the [proposed Q57 & current Q112] a remotely equivalent comparison, when the proposed Q57 runs way past Brewer????

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

....It seems to me the only way this 57 will work if there's a bunch of short turns

...or have it be 2 separate routes to begin with,

But apparently that's out of the question, b/c they don't want to provide necessary service on both routes.

If anyone is expecting a final plan by the end of 2023, don't count on it too much. Despite a "promise" to release it soon, word has it key personal and/or stakeholders are leaving the team due to dissatisfaction as well as others entering retirement. Therefore they have to add more people to the team in order to move forward. It's funny how the website was recently updated, but no update was provided to at least move the date to early 2024, which makes the MTA look like liars (nothing new)

We have 3 more months to see if the MTA chooses the liar path.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

7 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

If anyone is expecting a final plan by the end of 2023, don't count on it too much. Despite a "promise" to release it soon, word has it key personal and/or stakeholders are leaving the team due to dissatisfaction as well as others entering retirement. Therefore there has to add more people to the team in order to move forward. It's funny how the website was recently updated, but no update was provided to at least move the date to early 2024, which makes the MTA look like liars (nothing new)

So where does this leave brooklyn.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

If anyone is expecting a final plan by the end of 2023, don't count on it too much. Despite a "promise" to release it soon, word has it key personal and/or stakeholders are leaving the team due to dissatisfaction as well as others entering retirement. Therefore they have to add more people to the team in order to move forward. It's funny how the website was recently updated, but no update was provided to at least move the date to early 2024, which makes the MTA look like liars (nothing new)

LTA 🤦🏾‍♂️ 

MTA stay shitting on us Queens Riders 🤦🏾‍♂️ 

My question is why since Mark Holmes left as head of the Queens Redesign, there never was any announcement who is now leading the team. Similarly with Brooklyn, we don’t know who is heading that study either. There needs to be accountability, which seems to be something the MTA is trying to avoid. If either study fails, someone needs to be accountable. 

On 9/29/2023 at 3:48 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

I’m not surprised that the plan is being delayed again. Queens is the largest borough, has the most routes and is split between NYCT Bus and MTA Bus operations. I’m sure the unions aren’t going to let any old plan go through because as far as I know the merger isn’t complete and nobody wants to lose any jobs from their depots. 
I felt Queens should have been last and given the most time to develop a good plan. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’m not surprised that the plan is being delayed again. Queens is the largest borough, has the most routes and is split between NYCT Bus and MTA Bus operations. I’m sure the unions aren’t going to let any old plan go through because as far as I know the merger isn’t complete and nobody wants to lose any jobs from their depots. 
I felt Queens should have been last and given the most time to develop a good plan. 

I really think Queens is just too big for one study. It should have been three separate studies, Northeast, Southeast and the rest of Queens. That would have made it more manageable. And the proposals need to be implanted in stages once the final designs are agreed upon.There is no way it could be done overnight, unless the results are not comprehensive but only include a few changes. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

I really think Queens is just too big for one study. It should have been three separate studies, Northeast, Southeast and the rest of Queens. That would have made it more manageable. And the proposals need to be implanted in stages once the final designs are agreed upon.There is no way it could be done overnight, unless the results are not comprehensive but only include a few changes. 

Also don't dis cont the fact that they have to clear it the department the orders new busses  because they will diffenately will be a need to covert some fleet from 40" to 60".

8 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Looking at the plan, it looks like QBR calls for a lot of extra buses than they currently have right now. Curious to see how they play this one out without cutting service.

On 9/27/2023 at 6:03 PM, Cait Sith said:

QV is actually closer to QCC by 3 miles compared to Stengel. Stengel is about 8 miles whereas QV is about 5 miles.

Where do you think the proposed Q45 will be based out of? It no longer goes via Jamaica ave so the relief point outside of QV depot has to be axed and deadhead from QV to LIRR Little Neck is approximately 20+ minutes.

Edited by xD4nn

3 hours ago, xD4nn said:

Looking at the plan, it looks like QBR calls for a lot of extra buses than they currently have right now. Curious to see how they play this one out without cutting service.

I was promised that the proposed final will show existing and proposed route miles and hours which would be an increase in service. We will see if they keep their promise. 

29 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I was promised that the proposed final will show existing and proposed route miles and hours which would be an increase in service. We will see if they keep their promise. 

If they do have enough extra buses in the whole system I wonder if they would stick with their fleet uniformity plan and try and convert Jamaica to full nova and keep QV as full nova. Personally I think it’s a terrible idea to keep fleet uniformity with QBR as I doubt there would be enough extra novas. 

1 minute ago, xD4nn said:

If they do have enough extra buses in the whole system I wonder if they would stick with their fleet uniformity plan and try and convert Jamaica to full nova and keep QV as full nova. Personally I think it’s a terrible idea to keep fleet uniformity with QBR as I doubt there would be enough extra novas. 

Nova is about to exit manufacturing  busses in the US  after the mta bus order. Thus it would be hard to keep queens  nyct all nova.

2 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

Nova is about to exit manufacturing  busses in the US  after the mta bus order. Thus it would be hard to keep queens  nyct all nova.

TA queens isn't getting anything new until it's time to retire the 2011 LFS so it's very possible Jamaica and QV will be full nova for a few years.

4 hours ago, limitednyc said:

The next order of xd40's they will have send 90  busses to jam.

...what next order? No new bus order has been announced for NYCT. MTA Bus is getting new XD40s. Jamaica won't see any of it.

9 hours ago, xD4nn said:

Where do you think the proposed Q45 will be based out of? It no longer goes via Jamaica ave so the relief point outside of QV depot has to be axed and deadhead from QV to LIRR Little Neck is approximately 20+ minutes.

I see it at QV. It could be one of those lines that also interlines with the Q43(if that stays at QV that is) and the Union Turnpike routes.

With the way some of these routes are planned, anything can happen.

8 minutes ago, Fire Mountain said:

ABOUT F***ING TIME! Now the CP depot will finally get some new buses 🙌🏾

Those XD40s are likely not going to CP since it's local fleet is currently all CNG. For now, it's speculated they're going to LGA, EC, and JFK.