Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/28/2023 at 3:11 PM, Q43LTD said:

I just realized Lakewood would have 2 routes running between Sutphin and 142. The proposed 109 and 40, similar to Liberty having the 9 and 57 between Sutphin and the Van Wyck. Lakewood is very narrow. I would move this 109 to 109 Av to Sutphin or use Liberty 

i would agree to an extent. i would leave the Q109 to run on Lakewood Avenue only. But the proposed Q40, it would be the following.

Southbound to 135 Ave: From Sutphin Blvd, i would make the Q40 turn right on 111 Ave instead of Lakewood Ave then turn left on 142 St, and regular route.

Northbound to Hillside Ave: From Rockaway Blvd, I would make the Q40 turn right on 142nd Pl, then make right at 119th Rd, then left at 143rd St then make right at 111 Ave, then left at Sutphin Blvd and regular route.

i would use 111 Avenue because the roads are much wider than Lakewood Ave. and also making a tight left turn from Lakewood onto Remington/143 (by the triangle) is going to be extremely difficult hence the opposing traffic from 109 Av have to curve right to make a left or right turn to (Lakewood Ave [right turn] or 109 Ave[left turn])

Edited by rick1032

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I've always thought the Q60 should be two routes, the Manhattan portion to Queens Center and Queensboro Plaza to Jamaica.

Many many moons ago, I used to think that....

Depending on how much service that would be ran on both, you potentially run the risk of running too much service on the overlapping portion (QBP-QCM).... If you run most of the service on the QCM - Manhattan portion, service east of QCM would be short-changed (which that usage isn't anything to sneeze at).... I'm not sure if there's even a numerical sweet spot (in terms of headways, so to speak) that would appease riders of both portions....

If it's any issue that I have with current Q60 service, it's that too many buses are delayed by them running over the 59th st Bridge (or whatever the heck it's called now)... That's the main reason why I would have some trips end at QBP... IDK if they still do them, but while I get why they have/had those 33rd st short turns, they were even more of a disservice than if buses were to be stopped short of Manhattan at QBP.....

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently there's an unofficial redesign floating around I got hands on and I'm feeling like it's an improvement of the network for the most part. Without giving too much away in case it is real without leaking all the info (remember this is all speculation until an official plan is released), here are some highlights from the plan: 

*Many combined routes from the new draft plan are reverted back to the current route they run today

*Some routes are rerouted to a busy corridor and replaced by another nearby route (Corridors include Northern Blvd, Hillside Av, Archer Av)

*Select corridors may include a local only service, with limited/rush routes replacing the local east of its terminal (similar to the Q115)

*Some current routes are split as well, acting as subway feeder routes (namely the College Point - Jamaica Routes) or to dispute service along the busiest parts of the route (Q60/66)

*Included in the plan is a "revival" of the Q14, Q45, Q75, and Q79, but are all not the same as their previous 2010 route

*The N20G could unofficially be "sent to NYCT" under a different name

*A new route between The Hub, Bronx and Jackson Heights via RFK and Astoria is "in the works", but something may have been sacrificed in the second draft plan to make this route a reality 

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

51 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

So apparently there's an unofficial redesign floating around I got hands on and I'm feeling like it's an improvement of the network for the most part. Without giving too much away in case it is real without leaking all the info (remember this is all speculation until an official plan is released), here are some highlights from the plan: 

*Many combined routes from the new draft plan are reverted back to the current route they run today

*Some routes are rerouted to a busy corridor and replaced by another nearby route (Corridors include Northern Blvd, Hillside Av, Archer Av)

*Select corridors may include a local only service, with limited/rush routes replacing the local east of its terminal (similar to the Q115)

*Some current routes are split as well, acting as subway feeder routes (namely the College Point - Jamaica Routes) or to dispute service along the busiest parts of the route (Q60/66)

*Included in the plan is a "revival" of the Q14, Q45, Q75, and Q79, but are all not the same as their previous 2010 route

*A new route between The Hub, Bronx and Jackson Heights via RFK and Astoria is "in the works", but something may have been sacrificed in the second draft plan to make this route a reality 

Sounds like someone's 'wildest dreams" wish list.  

35 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

It sounds like what happened In the bx just some minor changes  + one new route and back to the future pre 2010.

I think overall a lot of changes originally proposed were reverted back, but were still tweaked a bit to account in things like the nonstop rush portions as well as minor things like a couple reroutes that are unnoticed. 

30 minutes ago, TheNextGen2009 said:

So, maybe the 14, 45, 75 are speculated to lean towards that of the ones proposed in the New Draft Plan?

In regards to those 3, they are all called the Q14, Q45 and Q75 and largely mirror their original route, but the route they take is different. Like say for instance the Q45, since the B57 is proposed to take the Q47 portion on 69 St, there is no reason for the Q45 to run along 69th st, so it'll take a different street when operating between Jackson Heights and Grand Av. 

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Is this it? If so, I think this is some fantasy proposal made by some random person.

image.png?ex=6580e8e0&is=656e73e0&hm=bc0

Edited by xD4nn

1 minute ago, xD4nn said:

Is this it? If so, I think this is some fantasy proposal made by some random person.

Yeah that one. That's why I was like I'm not really gonna say it's real unless someone says it's official. I still feel something like this is better than what is proposed now. 

43 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

You can barely make out that map

i was thinking the same thing. i figured it was unofficial, i just wanted a link to a clearer image to assess. i don't know why, but i believe they're not even close to an official "final" draft, and that release date will be pushed back further.

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i was thinking the same thing. i figured it was unofficial, i just wanted a link to a clearer image to assess. i don't know why, but i believe they're not even close to an official "final" draft, and that release date will be pushed back further.

There's a PDF that was released for it that is clearer if you want to look at it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O2S3c3NDRbgXfH_oRwAFfIbeSaDuKxXl/view?fbclid=IwAR328_tYcV1MFMv7Hb2Jl-stDhRp0Q5Gp4nccJ41x97tDn-dTtUky2F09M4

I would note that this map is obvious that it's fake but a handful of ideas I do like here

3 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I'll try to decipher it when I get home 

On 12/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, xD4nn said:

I can't lie, this map looks actually fine, some inconstancies with the map, but I see that this looks a lot better than in the draft plan

But question, where did this come from? 

Edited by JoshTheScrub

1 hour ago, JoshTheScrub said:

I can't lie, this map looks actually fine, some inconstancies with the map, but I see that this looks a lot better than in the draft plan

But question, where did this come from? 

A friend of mine custom made it (using paint.net) and posted it on this thread a couple of months ago.

Edit: Found it, it's on page 114

Edited by DT323
Additional information

Ok this time this appears to be legit information, the proposed final plan should be out by next week. 

FYI please see Final Qns Bus Redesign

The next report in the Queens Bus Network Redesign initiative, the Proposed Final Plan (PFP), is scheduled to be published in December. In the PFP we further refine the Queens bus network to address the needs of our stakeholders while balancing trade-offs and using network redesign strategies to achieve our customer priorities: Reliable Service, Faster Travel, Better Connections, and Simplified Service.

Following publication, we are inviting all our stakeholders to series of a virtual briefings where we will provide a borough-wide overview of the Proposed Final Plan and discuss our public outreach timeline and process for customer and community input. There will one high level borough/citywide briefing and four quadrant-based briefings where we will provide the overview and then take a deeper dive into the route proposals in each quadrant. If you cannot attend your quadrant briefing, please consider joining us for our boroughwide overview briefing on December 15th.

*   Wednesday, Dec 13 from 6:30-8:30PM – Northwest Queens (CDs 1,2,3,4)
  *   Thursday, Dec 14 from 6:30-8:30PM – Southwest Queens (CDs 5,6,9,10)
  *   Friday, Dec 15 from 11:30AM – 1PM – Boroughwide and Citywide Groups
  *   Monday, Dec 18 from 6:30-8:30PM – Northeast Queens (CDs 7,8,11)
  *   Tuesday, Dec 19 from 6:30-8:30PM – Southeast Queens (CDs 12,13,14)

In the new year we will conduct several months of outreach. We will be requesting time to present to all Queens community boards and host a series of MTA outreach events. All events and materials will be published to the project website. Stakeholders will also have several months to review and comment on their trips prior to the MTA holding a public hearing.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Why is this not on the MTA website when the meetings are next week?  Where is the transparency? The public needs time to study and absorb the new plan.

It's probably going to be updated when they release the plan on Monday or Tuesday and it's for stakeholders only. I'm ready for the stupidity about to come from the plan.

Edited by xD4nn

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Isn’t it a little ridiculous to put something as complex as is plan on the web on Monday with the first meeting two days later? It’s as if they don’t want people to know about this. 

Well, the meetings are for stakeholders only. Community/customer input will be done later.

Edited by xD4nn

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Ok this time this appears to be legit information, the proposed final plan should be out by next week. 

FYI please see Final Qns Bus Redesign

The next report in the Queens Bus Network Redesign initiative, the Proposed Final Plan (PFP), is scheduled to be published in December. In the PFP we further refine the Queens bus network to address the needs of our stakeholders while balancing trade-offs and using network redesign strategies to achieve our customer priorities: Reliable Service, Faster Travel, Better Connections, and Simplified Service.

Following publication, we are inviting all our stakeholders to series of a virtual briefings where we will provide a borough-wide overview of the Proposed Final Plan and discuss our public outreach timeline and process for customer and community input. There will one high level borough/citywide briefing and four quadrant-based briefings where we will provide the overview and then take a deeper dive into the route proposals in each quadrant. If you cannot attend your quadrant briefing, please consider joining us for our boroughwide overview briefing on December 15th.

*   Wednesday, Dec 13 from 6:30-8:30PM – Northwest Queens (CDs 1,2,3,4)
  *   Thursday, Dec 14 from 6:30-8:30PM – Southwest Queens (CDs 5,6,9,10)
  *   Friday, Dec 15 from 11:30AM – 1PM – Boroughwide and Citywide Groups
  *   Monday, Dec 18 from 6:30-8:30PM – Northeast Queens (CDs 7,8,11)
  *   Tuesday, Dec 19 from 6:30-8:30PM – Southeast Queens (CDs 12,13,14)

In the new year we will conduct several months of outreach. We will be requesting time to present to all Queens community boards and host a series of MTA outreach events. All events and materials will be published to the project website. Stakeholders will also have several months to review and comment on their trips prior to the MTA holding a public hearing.

Thank you for the update.  At least we get to see the final plan outlined.  Been waiting to see the final plans for months and finally it is out.

Edited by mikecintel