Queens Bus Redesign Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how they implemented the NEW Jamaica Bus Terminal into the redesign. Finally putting that bus lane on 168th St to good use. So on that note....this...this...this...this...UGH! Let me begin...

Q1...I kind of like this idea. That Q1/Q6 idea was not going to work. There would be a lot of turn-arounds at Jamaica LIRR IF that proposal went through. THIS idea is better and...well maybe take some pressure off the Q43. 

Q2...didn't the "rush" portion start at Francis Lewis Blvd in the previous plan? Just curious.

Q3...I feel bad for the Q3 operators having to serve much of the airport due to the construction.

Q4...What? It's not going to Elmont? Surprise...surprise...surprise. Who didn't see that coming? (Being sarcastic here) "B35 via Church" you feel me here?

Q5...Eh

Q6...yeah, and?

Q7...now THAT's more like it! An actual Rockaway Blvd route!

Q8...New Lots Av....didn't realize there was a demand. Wonder if there will be enough room with the B6, B15 and B6's assistant...the B5.

Q9...I guess.

Q10...Even though they got rid of the alternate routing, I still see a short-turn along the route once this is implemented.

Q11...Lord!

Q12...What? No service to Great Neck LIRR Station? ;-)

Q13...swap streets...same result

Q14...LMAO!

Q15...Whatever

Q16...that Utopia Pkwy branch still exists?

Q17...this will give me a good excuse to ride the Q44 SBS between Jamaica and Flushing because Kissena Blvd alone will kill this route once this is implemented.

Q18...Life is good in Maspeth!

Q19...Figures

Q20...the reroute to follow the Q60 on Jamaica Av then Queens Blvd is suspect. Have to experience this to really give a take on it. As far as Flushing portion goes, it's the "Q44FS via Mitchell-Linden" to me is how I see this.

Q22...Really? Far Rockaway LIRR?

Q23...I have to see this for myself. I mean you are shortening the route for reliable service but via Forest Hills...that won't change.

Q24...Why do I feel like I'm living in the 1980s? Once this is implemented, I expect to see a Flxible OR GMC New Look. ;-)

Q25...You smell that? I smell artics in the future,

Q26...well now, 24 hour service again, huh? Using Sanford Av again too I see. Ok. This could be good.

Q27...THANK GOD! Yank that route off Holly Av! About time! Also putting Sanford Av to good use as well. I like this! However, in Cambria Heights...really? I mean you built that area up for the Q27 and now you pull service back towards basically Linden Blvd.

Q28...the "RUSH" route is good but in terms of students for I.S. 25 and Bayside H.S....I know students use the Q28 along Northern Blvd. We'll see.

Q29...you survived? I mean "you survived!" Congratulations!

Q30...This is a little personal for me as I grew up on 169th St between Gothic Drive and 84th Av. I went to P.S. 131, two blocks east of me, Jamaica H.S. (which has been closed) and Thomas Edison H.S. two blocks west of me. The proposal is to cut Gothic Drive bus stop and then have the Q30 RUSH through this area is not going to fly. Then I see that the Q30 will travel along Hillside Av and then along Merrick Blvd to pass by the bus terminal. I guess they are maintaining that bus lane. That I like.

I'll post more later.

Edited by The TransitMan

14 hours ago, 7-express said:

It should since the existing Q34 does act like a school bus for kids going to the schools around Memorial field.  But they're desperate to maintain the Q61 as a rush route and will likely keep it on Union.  Only advantage is Mitchell-Linden folks will get a bus all weekend long instead of needing to go to Union Street.  The only concession they made was adding 26th Ave as a stop for the people who live in that part of Mitchell-Linden and act as a transfer point for folks who want to transfer to Union Street buses.

Yes the Q34 is like a school bus.  I live near by there. True for the Mitchell-Linden people who lives in the apartments they have an advantage because the Q20 will run on the weekend unlike the Q34 which will be Q61 and there will be no weekend service and people will take the Q15 bus just like now.

5 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

I like how they implemented the NEW Jamaica Bus Terminal into the redesign. Finally putting that bus lane on 168th St to good use. So on that note....this...this...this...this...UGH! Let me begin...

***A DISCLAIMER...these are my opinions (and maybe suggestions) like everyone else***

Q1...I kind of like this idea. That Q1/Q6 idea was not going to work. There would be a lot of turn-arounds at Jamaica LIRR IF that proposal went through. THIS idea is better and...well maybe take some pressure off the Q43. 

They aced the 1/43, think this is the best idea on the entire plan.

Q2...didn't the "rush" portion start at Francis Lewis Blvd in the previous plan? Just curious.

Its the only thing on Hollis, they should’ve started it at the Hollis LIRR station, but I digress.

Q3...I feel bad for the Q3 operators having to serve much of the airport due to the construction.

The run times on this line, will be insane, I expect potentially a little push for a rush service along this line too.

Q4...What? It's not going to Elmont? Surprise...surprise...surprise. Who didn't see that coming? (Being sarcastic here) "B35 via Church" you feel me here?

I was one that was for it going into Elmont, It should also be a full rush route, at least go big time with the 4, since you have the 51. (See what I did there? lol)

Q5...Eh

Q6...yeah, and?

Q7...now THAT's more like it! An actual Rockaway Blvd route!

The current Q7 runs like hot dog water, I expect this line to get ridership, furthering the need for more buses.

Q8...New Lots Av....didn't realize there was a demand. Wonder if there will be enough room with the B6, B15 and B6's assistant...the B5.

Doubt the space part, definitely think the B15 is probably gonna be rerouted in some sort of way.

Q9...I guess.

Q10...Even though they got rid of the alternate routing, I still see a short-turn along the route once this is implemented.

Run times on the current Q10 LTD is 30-35 minutes one way.. I think it’ll be fine (a guess of about 28-33 minutes one way)

Q11...Lord!

What an elimination of the 21 right? lol

Q12...What? No service to Great Neck LIRR Station? ;-)

I wonder how people would react if they eliminated the N20G, only had the N20H/X.

Q13...swap streets...same result

Q14...LMAO!

Yeah I don’t know either.

Q15...Whatever

Q16...that Utopia Pkwy branch still exists?

I still wonder how the line exists in the first place.

Q17...this will give me a good excuse to ride the Q44 SBS between Jamaica and Flushing because Kissena Blvd alone will kill this route once this is implemented.

The 17 will never stop confusing me as a route, a third of the buses terminate at 188th (~30 MRT), then another third are limited (~45 MRT), then another third is full local (~60 MRT)…but it helps the 25..I do hate this line as a rider though, feels like all the buses crawl and it’s just a bus version of the (R) (aka just for riders to transfer to other bus lines).

Q18...Life is good in Maspeth!

Q19...Figures

Q20...the reroute to follow the Q60 on Jamaica Av then Queens Blvd is suspect. Have to experience this to really give a take on it. As far as Flushing portion goes, it's the "Q44FS via Mitchell-Linden" to me is how I see this.

Don't agree with either reroute, but we’ll see how it plays out.

Q22...Really? Far Rockaway LIRR?

Q23...I have to see this for myself. I mean you are shortening the route for reliable service but via Forest Hills...that won't change.

Q24...Why do I feel like I'm living in the 1980s? Once this is implemented, I expect to see a Flxible OR GMC New Look. ;-)

Q25...You smell that? I smell artics in the future,

I really hope so. This line needs them (as well as maybe 1-3 more lines in this redesign).

Q26...well now, 24 hour service again, huh? Using Sanford Av again too I see. Ok. This could be good.

I’m very excited for this…

Q27...THANK GOD! Yank that route off Holly Av! About time! Also putting Sanford Av to good use as well. I like this! However, in Cambria Heights...really? I mean you built that area up for the Q27 and now you pull service back towards basically Linden Blvd. 

They're forcing people to walk! Lovely. Lol

Q28...the "RUSH" route is good but in terms of students for I.S. 25 and Bayside H.S....I know students use the Q28 along Northern Blvd. We'll see.

Q29...you survived? I mean "you survived!" Congratulations!

Q30...This is a little personal for me as I grew up on 169th St between Gothic Drive and 84th Av. I went to P.S. 131, two blocks east of me, Jamaica H.S. (which has been closed) and Thomas Edison H.S. two blocks west of me. The proposal is to cut Gothic Drive bus stop and then have the Q30 RUSH through this area is not going to fly. Then I see that the Q30 will travel along Hillside Av and then along Merrick Blvd to pass by the bus terminal. I guess they are maintaining that bus lane. That I like.

I just wonder how the 30/75 thing will go, at first, I didn’t like the proposal.

I'll post more later.

Responses in bold, just to keep dialogue going.

7 hours ago, The TransitMan said:

Lmao I went to Jamaica High (it got divided into 4 schools now) and my initial reaction of cutting Gothic Dr off the Q30 stop I was like: Nahh bruh that is such a trash idea. Only reason cuz  I and other students use that bus to go to school or going home (over the 65). What I also see is the Q25 cutting Melbourne Ave off that stop but students take that stop to go to school so like idk why they would do that... I just think it's odd.

10 hours ago, Ex696 said:

So the portion of Union Turnpike closer to the subway has higher express bus ridership than the section further from the subway? Interesting, definitely not what I expected...

Yup...I think it's a population density issue...there are a lot more houses and apartment buildings the further west you go on Union Tpke. Plus, a lot of people choose to live in that area with the expectation that they will work in Manhattan since it is not that far away.

Plus the Q46-->subway is so slow and packed, that a fair number of people opt for the Exp bus. Unfortunately, they do not do nearly enough advertising of the Exp bus. Esp with congestion pricing, they need to start advertising it more, and even creating off-peak reduced fares to entice people to try it out.

I’ll try to give more of my impressions on the routes themselves later, but wow this I’m not all too surprised that they had to scale back a lot on the new route combos and play it safe. They do need to relax with cutting too many stops because some of the stops that they are proposing to cut doesn’t make sense especially on routes that have relatively short run times like the Q42 and Q64. The Q64 at its busiest takes 21 minutes from end to end but they are cutting 1/3 of the stops, what sense does that make? Anyways I think they had no choice but to cutback in this proposal because the unions were probably furious. Just think about it, the Q25 an MTA Bus route running via Merrick Blvd to Springfield Blvd taking away service from the Q4, Q5, Q84 and Q85 NYCT routes, the Q23 (MTA Bus) via Union Turnpike east to Fresh Meadows taking away from the Q46 a NYCT route, the Q19 MTA Bus route via 150th to Whitestone taking over service from the Q15.

I'll comment on the routes I'm familiar with...

(Q3): Will continue to put that work in at JFK

(Q4): Nimbys in Elmont?  I forgot the name of that immediate subsection over there ....

(Q5): One of the short turns becomes permanent. None of that (Q25)mess.  I like that they kept the extension in Rosedale (Q86)

(Q7): Cool, buy maybe an extension to Cypress Hill to maintain the connection to the (B13)...

(Q10): Strictly Lefferts vibes

(Q24): Throwback to the B22 days

(Q77): Finally an extension to 147th and beyond.  Maybe coming out of JFK Depot?

(Q83): No more overnight service to Queens Village LIRR

(Q85): Full time to Green Acres?  I guess NYPD wants all that space on Sunrise Hwy(Rosedale LIRR). I think that Caldor at Green Acres is mentioned as a stop being removed 😂...

(Q110): Floral Park?  Hmmm....

(Q111): According to the maps, it's still goes to Nassau County...

(Q112): Getting kicked out for the Q51, which I'm glad that there will be some type of xtown service in that part of the borough(Linden Blvd).

(Q113LTD)/(Q114LTD): Might be petty here, but let the 113 be the main Far Rockaway service and the 114 be the main Guy R Brewer service.  No need for 115 nomenclature...

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

What happened to the Q51? Wasn't there supposed to be a sbs going to gateway mall? 

They butchered it. Now it only runs between Rockaway Boulevard (A) and Springfield Boulevard, doesn't have overnight service, and was degraded to a limited. I think they should've kept it going to Gateway considering the Q8 was being removed from there.

1 minute ago, Ex696 said:

They butchered it. Now it only runs between Rockaway Boulevard (A) and Springfield Boulevard, doesn't have overnight service, and was degraded to a limited. I think they should've kept it going to Gateway considering the Q8 was being removed from there.

I think the cut back was do to customer feedback. BTW  according to the press release the total cost of  the service of these changed will 20mill a year.

In the first draft plan, the Q14 was going to terminate at Palmetto St./Fresh Pond Rd. right by FP depot and the similarly named M line station.  

In this new draft plan, it's terminating around Eliot/Metropolitan/Fresh Pond thereby severing a connecting to the M train and making b/o reliefs to and from the depot to deadhead there.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Unfortunately, they do not do nearly enough advertising of the Exp bus. Esp with congestion pricing, they need to start advertising it more, and even creating off-peak reduced fares to entice people to try it out.

How much "advertising" do they need to do? The service almost markets itself, with large buses that are kind of hard to miss.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

How does all of this affect depots/union issues? Is there an internal plan for how this all gets divided up amongst the depots and unions?

My guess for the depots:

QV: Q1, Q2, Q36, Q45, Q46, Q48, Q75, Q82, Q83, Q88

JAM: Q3, Q4, Q5, Q17, Q30, Q31, Q42, Q51, Q77, Q84, Q85, Q86, Q87

STE: Q12, Q13, Q15, Q16, Q20, Q26, Q27, Q28, Q32, Q44, Q61, Q62, Q76

JFK: Q6, Q7, Q8, Q9, Q10, Q37, Q40, Q52, Q60

FRK: Q11, Q22, Q35, Q41

BP: Q64, Q110, Q111, Q112, Q114, Q115

CP: Q14, Q19, Q23, Q25, Q38, Q63, Q65, Q66

LGA: Q18, Q29, Q33, Q39, Q47, Q49, Q53, Q67, Q68, Q69, Q70, Q72, Q101, Q103, Q104, Q105

There’s probably a couple missing, but those are my guesses.

8 minutes ago, NBTA said:

My guess for the depots:

LGA: Q18, Q29, Q33, Q39, Q47, Q49, Q53, Q67, Q68, Q69, Q70, Q72, Q101, Q103, Q104, Q105

Why would QV get the Q75? The proposed Q75 is the same schedule as the existing Little Neck branch of the existing Q30 with service cuts to capacitate the service increases of the proposed Q30. Adding on, it's a 30-minute deadhead to Briarwood from QV and a 20-minute deadhead to Little Neck. Not at all reasonable whatsoever. I don't get the bs argument of depots owning streets such as "QV owning Hillside Ave and Union Turnpike"

Edited by xD4nn

16 minutes ago, NBTA said:

My guess for the depots:

Wouldn't the Q64 go with College Point?

Edited by JoshTheScrub