Very Bad News!!

Novabus 5000

This is not bad news as MCI's are a overkill for NYCT/MTA bus routes anyway. ALL of the non SI express bus routes be half empty at the height of rush hour, it makes more sense to buy an transit bus (Like the orion V) for those express bus routes with low ridership.

This is not bad news as MCI's are a overkill for NYCT/MTA bus routes anyway. ALL of the non SI express bus routes be half empty at the height of rush hour, it makes more sense to buy an transit bus (Like the orion V) for those express bus routes with low ridership.

There are some runs on the BM1-5 that need an MCI because of the amount of passengers. MCI's also offer passengers more comforts than a transit bus with soft seats.

I think the MCI do there Job Down here in ATL The Non-MCI Routes that use the Hwy there Buses Look So Bad. The VII & 416 don't Run well on Hwy After only about 2yr they are showing age alot sum don't make they AM trips . I think if u going to Run Hwy Routes MCI are your Best Bet only thing that hurt them in NY is In Manhattan with the Stop & Go. Only Routes that could Go Back to Suburban would be a Few Queens Routes But other then that The MCI earn there spot to Be Express Buses.

I think the MCI do there Job Down here in ATL The Non-MCI Routes that use the Hwy there Buses Look So Bad. The VII & 416 don't Run well on Hwy After only about 2yr they are showing age alot sum don't make they AM trips . I think if u going to Run Hwy Routes MCI are your Best Bet only thing that hurt them in NY is In Manhattan with the Stop & Go. Only Routes that could Go Back to Suburban would be a Few Queens Routes But other then that The MCI earn there spot to Be Express Buses.

The only express routes here in the MTA with a decent run on the highway are the SI routes, X28 and X38. Most of other express routes 90% of the route is stop and go type traffic. And IIRC The Queens exp bus routes don't go on the highway queens bound, they take queens blvd stright (Except for the X51, but a lot of times they put a hybrid on that route :confused: ) though which is a street with traffic lights.

As for the VII's not running good after two years of service on highway routes, well what do you expect? Quailty? LMAO:p Are RTS novas that used to run in express service still run good and are holding up great, the V CNG's are ok in express bus service as well. Too bad MCI doesn't make the classics anymore. B)

The only express routes here in the MTA with a decent run on the highway are the SI routes, X28 and X38. Most of other express routes 90% of the route is stop and go type traffic. And IIRC The Queens exp bus routes don't go on the highway queens bound, they take queens blvd stright (Except for the X51, but a lot of times they put a hybrid on that route :confused: ) though which is a street with traffic lights.

As for the VII's not running good after two years of service on highway routes, well what do you expect? Quailty? LMAO:p Are RTS novas that used to run in express service still run good and are holding up great, the V CNG's are ok in express bus service as well. Too bad MCI doesn't make the classics anymore. B)

Ture indeed im For the Nova RTS Staying in X Service but not all the X Routes are the same. Routes like the QM1, BM1-5, X1-9, X27 a few more need MCI i don't buy that overkill Artic on Crosstown & the Bx39 is overkill not MCI's.

Ture indeed im For the Nova RTS Staying in X Service but not all the X Routes are the same. Routes like the QM1, BM1-5, X1-9, X27 a few more need MCI i don't buy that overkill Artic on Crosstown & the Bx39 is overkill not MCI's.

Those routes need those artics, at least during the rush hours. After that they really don't. The Bx4 is truly an overkill with artics, as it runs under the 2/5 and the 6, only being by itself, for about 2-3 blocks, or something like that. Only the old, crippled, and possibly someone with a huge baby stroller should be on that bus (even though technically strollers aren't allowed on at certain rush hour times). Everyone else can train it and walk. It's healthy to do.......

As per buschat the new mci order has gotten cancelled!!:mad: http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=121623

If it's Subchat then it's probably inaccurate information.

Regarding the other points in the thread, I will admit that most express routes do not need MCI's but almost every express route has a crowded run. For example, the X63 that I use isn't as busy as the X1, but the bus that arrives at Merrrick/Farmers around 7:45 AM is always crowded. Every seat is filled. As for the speed of the express routes, the Queens express routes don't stay on the highway long enough (and in the PM they don't use the highway except for a short stretch). However, if there are 10 straight green lights on Queens Blvd then we can make good time.

Guest Charles

True. Most Queens express buses are very crowded in the mornings and are not so crowded in the afternoon, especially with the LaGuardia routes and the QM21. Add some morning rush trips and you can deduct some afternoon trips. However, there are some pointless routes (e.g. QM23, QM3) that I really feel the (MTA) doesn't need to operate.

Furthermore, the (MTA) doesn't need to operate so many off-peak services to the outer boroughs. For example, I'm pretty sure drivers of the, say, QM2 to Queens departing Midtown on a Saturday morning at around 7:30 AM will find 5 passengers to be on his/her bus quite extraordinary.

About the Queens buses not using the highway, that isn't always true. The LIE is practically jammed all the time, which causes the buses to use Queens Blvd. However, many drivers also use the LIE serviceroad. I believe the (MTA) needs to open the HOV lane for buses only going eastbound during the PM hours as well.

Finally, my opinion on the MCIs: Personally, I don't mind the current MCIs. They're pretty nice buses and well-maintained. I'd actually like to see an Orion V CNG at every depot just for the fun of it. I think it'd be nice to have one of those buses run on the, say, BXM2. Just thinking, here.

Feel free to agree or disagree. :P

True. Most Queens express buses are very crowded in the mornings and are not so crowded in the afternoon, especially with the LaGuardia routes and the QM21. Add some morning rush trips and you can deduct some afternoon trips. However, there are some pointless routes (e.g. QM23, QM3) that I really feel the (MTA) doesn't need to operate.

Furthermore, the (MTA) doesn't need to operate so many off-peak services to the outer boroughs. For example, I'm pretty sure drivers of the, say, QM2 to Queens departing Midtown on a Saturday morning at around 7:30 AM will find 5 passengers to be on his/her bus quite extraordinary.

About the Queens buses not using the highway, that isn't always true. The LIE is practically jammed all the time, which causes the buses to use Queens Blvd. However, many drivers also use the LIE serviceroad. I believe the (MTA) needs to open the HOV lane for buses only going eastbound during the PM hours as well.

Finally, my opinion on the MCIs: Personally, I don't mind the current MCIs. They're pretty nice buses and well-maintained. I'd actually like to see an Orion V CNG at every depot just for the fun of it. I think it'd be nice to have one of those buses run on the, say, BXM2. Just thinking, here.

Feel free to agree or disagree. :P

Sorry none of these depots don't need a Orion V CNG in them nor they need to be on an express route....MCI's are better

Sorry none of these depots don't need a Orion V CNG in them nor they need to be on an express route....MCI's are better
I like his idea alot! I would take the BxM10 if there was a CNG on it, I already take it if I see 7423-7428 on it. :P

What's the status of the current MCIs? Why can't the MTA just keep them for another 10 years. The old express coaches (RTS 1700s and 1800s) were in service from 1982 till the late 1990s.

It doesn't seem to make sense to buy new buses - the old ones are fine!

Its ashame the MTA decided to retrofit the old RTS coaches with hard seats. The x29, x27/x37 x28/x38 could use the smaller buses during non-peak hours.

Where have you seen a Hybrid on the X51?

Archived