nightmare402

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw an R32 set on the track that parallels 37th St almost out to Ft Hamilton Pkwy the other day.  The last time I saw a train there it was an R27 set heading to the scrap heap.  There are others scattered around 38th st yard, but they are hard to see from a moving car because of the kind of fence it is.  There are R42s there too.

2 hours ago, zacster said:

I saw an R32 set on the track that parallels 37th St almost out to Ft Hamilton Pkwy the other day.  The last time I saw a train there it was an R27 set heading to the scrap heap.  There are others scattered around 38th st yard, but they are hard to see from a moving car because of the kind of fence it is.  There are R42s there too.

IIRC the last 42s in service were all kept for work service to replace older 32s; I'm guessing those 32s are on the way out right now

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SimplyMyself said:

Quite interestingly, R32s 3810/1 were spotted at Coney Island Yard, which were previously linked with 3520/3891 at 38 St Yard.

credits to the person who caught it.

Technically that's Stillwell Yard.  And it looks like it's amongst the work trains, so maybe something is planned for those cars.  A clue would be the day "SimplyMyself"  saw them and took the video vs, the day "zackster" saw them last week.

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 3:16 PM, slantfan4281 said:

Saw a video where some more R32s (12 I think) are sitting in the 65th street yard waiting for scrap. Anyone know what numbers they are?

3384/5, 3472/3, 3520/3891, 3728/9, 3876/7, 3932/3

Edited by SimplyMyself
Reordered in numerical

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is 3520 mismatched?

When M/K got the cars to be GOH'ed, some cars needed more work than others.  So, if one car of a set was finished and the other wasn't, rather than hold the completed car, they mated it with another car whose natural mate was not finished also.  So, we wound up mis-mates.  Additional mis-mates off the top of my head are 3444/3777, 3445/3468.  There are many, many more.  The complete list of mis-mates are in the Retired/R32 section in the following website:   "nycsubway.org."

Edited by Bill from Maspeth