R32 Retirement Run

nightmare402

The final run of the R32 to Brighton Beach from 96 St/2 Av (1.09.22):

- Gives everyone a look of the oldest subway car in passenger service on the Second Av line.

- Express: While on the Manhattan Bridge, two special sounds were played crossing over the Manhattan Bridge slowly,  New York by Frank  Sinatra and Alicia Keys Empire State of Mind piano version. 

- Special parade between Brighton Beach and Kings Highway until 8:30 PM, afterwards, a one by one departure to the R32 subway cars at Ocean Pkwy, W 8 St-NY Aquarium and Coney Island-Stillwell Av. 

This turnout yesterday was special that even other people flew over (by plane) to New York City  to take part of the special run on the Q-line. R32s, 1964-2022: gone but never forgotten in New York. 

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Shame about it being cut down to 8 cars from 10, though.  All because of a pair of stupid vandals, sheesh.

The silver lining in that, is that a lot of the shots and angle (particularly full shots) would have been downright hard if not impossible had the train still been 10 cars. So it gave more opportunities, especially for the crowd that would take the train and quickly get shots while in the station.

At several stations, a full length train just barely fits in, or on one end it's not possible to take shots of the train, meaning that more people will cluster together in the places where it was possible. Brighton Beach on the (Q) , and the front end at 2nd Avenue and 145th Street on the NB (D) trips come to mind. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 1/9/2022 at 9:22 PM, DaPr03 said:

The 32 Final Run went smooth with some foamers yelling at the top of their lungs along with the BIE at 14-Union Sq,

MTA and the Museum Crew were nice enough to where they sent ANOTHER 32 at Brighton Beach next to the Farewell set, they ran non-revenue trips back and forth between Brighton Beach & Kings Hwy via Brighton EXP for people to get photos and videos of them.

Why couldnt they have made the revenue set 10 cars then, if they had 6 others available?

On 1/11/2022 at 12:50 AM, R10 2952 said:

Shame about it being cut down to 8 cars from 10, though.  All because of a pair of stupid vandals, sheesh.

I think it was primarily because so fans can get their pictures properly.

There were spare cars available. They could've easily added two cars into the mix.

The 10-car R32 train: 3894-3895, 3840-3841, 3646-3647 (6 Brighton units) + 3828-3829, 3888-3889 (4 photo-op units) made its resting place at Canarsie. 

3360-3361 remains at Coney Island Yard but has its special appearance still in tact. 

Edited by Calvin

• 2 weeks later...

One of the former work cars, 3642-3643 are being removed from the system, picture was shown to see the 2-cars at CIY beginning scrap process. As well as 3510-3511, 3552-3553, 3694-3695 are in this process. 

Edited by Calvin

16 hours ago, Calvin said:

One of the former work cars, 3642-3643 are being removed from the system, picture was shown to see the 2-cars at CIY beginning scrap process. As well as 3510-3511, 3552-3553, 3694-3695 are in this process. 

I think what they are doing is scrapping these and eventually gonna replace these with the R32's that were rehabbed in 2017-18 along with the R42's that are currently in work service. None of these work cars were rehabbed or SMS'ed. You still have other R32's that were recently added to the work fleet in 2020.

16 hours ago, Calvin said:

3552-3553 is an phase two pair that was set aside for the museum, I guess the TM doesn't want that pair anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

The sentimentalist in me is sad to see them go, but the realist in me knew it's been years in the making.

On a side note, if Cuomo had been forced out of office a year or two earlier, I wonder if at least some of the cars would have stuck around, for the original Canarsie Tube rebuild plan or otherwise? Reason I bring it up is because at one point it was mentioned in several circles that it was the Governor's Office that was pushing for R32s to be retired sooner.  Not anyone at the MTA.

16 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

The sentimentalist in me is sad to see them go, but the realist in me knew it's been years in the making.

On a side note, if Cuomo had been forced out of office a year or two earlier, I wonder if at least some of the cars would have stuck around, for the original Canarsie Tube rebuild plan or otherwise? Reason I bring it up is because at one point it was mentioned in several circles that it was the Governor's Office that was pushing for R32s to be retired sooner.  Not anyone at the MTA.

yeah I know I'm one of his defenders , i was very pissed when he interfered with the Canarsie tube project, also nothing would have been wrong with forcing them out a little faster cause the mta needed to get with the program

16 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Yeah, I heard the same but let em learn the hard way. But The R32's retiring this year isn't a surprise because they were supposed to retire this year anyway. The only thing that is different is that they didn't run at all in 2021 (Holiday runs in December of last year) and in 2020 they wanted all them OOS by april of 2020 due to the governors office but the R179 pull apart happened and they ended up running on the (J) /.  (Z) for 3 and a half months.

I heard they are only scrapping the majority of the cars that were already OOS before they went back in service on the (J) in 2020. (some of the cars that returned in service in 2020 are also getting scrapped) But that could all change to the majority of the remaing 200+ R32 fleet.

On 2/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, Dj Hammers said:

And here they are street running on 1st Avenue heading to 65th Street Yard:

Great video as usual! Is this rail that runs on the street commonly used? WHere is this exactly? THat's gotta be quite a sight for a driver who is new to the area!

45 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Great video as usual! Is this rail that runs on the street commonly used? WHere is this exactly? THat's gotta be quite a sight for a driver who is new to the area!

1st Avenue between 39th and 43rd Streets, and also between 52nd and 58th Streets. The vast majority of the time, there are no trains running there.

Those tracks connect to the subway east of 3rd Avenue between 38th and 39th Streets, with grade crossings at 2nd and 3rd Avenues.

12 hours ago, P3F said:

1st Avenue between 39th and 43rd Streets, and also between 52nd and 58th Streets. The vast majority of the time, there are no trains running there.

Those tracks connect to the subway east of 3rd Avenue between 38th and 39th Streets, with grade crossings at 2nd and 3rd Avenues.

Cool! Learned something new

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Retired R32s on their way to scrap on an CSX train, go to the 13:05 mark for the clip...

Bonus pic of them being delivered back to NYCT after GOH

Great find.  In a sense, history comes full-circle.  In by rail back in the beginning, out by rail today at the end.  Better than seeing them dumped in the ocean, at least.

What was the location in the vid, anyway?

29 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Great find.  In a sense, history comes full-circle.  In by rail back in the beginning, out by rail today at the end.  Better than seeing them dumped in the ocean, at least.

What was the location in the vid, anyway?

Fairport NY, small town upstate near Rochester.