R32 Retirement Run

nightmare402

14 hours ago, DaPr03 said:

Taken by one of my friends who work for TA, R32 running in farewell runs now painted with blue doors: 269982569_1611525335868713_1351463985279

Wow, TA is really going above and beyond here! I'm trying for the last run on January 9th, I sure hope I'll get to see it!

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I just hope this car, and whichever others get this treatment (if any), get preserved. It would be a real damn shame to hear of it (or them) getting trucked off to Sims Metal looking like this. 

Rumors have it that the train is gonna go on display after at NYTM. Hopefully that's true, and I hope it will have a better fate than the last run R42 cars did.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

WOW 😮!!! They even painted the gates blue. I definitely wasn’t expecting that. It looks great. Like new. After the crazy shit that happened on the 19th, I was considering saying, “Eh…I’ll visit them in the Museum.” But now I may consider taking that one last ride after all.

I just hope this car, and whichever others get this treatment (if any), get preserved. It would be a real damn shame to hear of it (or them) getting trucked off to Sims Metal looking like this. 

Too bad the R32’s and R38’s didn’t keep their front roll signs. 
The flipdot signs did make it make faster to change the route if necessary but the visibility on those things were terrible especially as the signs aged. If anything the MTA could have removed the destination sign and centered the route rollsign. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Do we have any evidence this wasn't just the usual BS that goes down on trains in CIY that are left on open tracks (graffiti etc.)? E.g. not a fan but some average vandal?

This happened in the yard but I know for a fact it wasn't just an ordinary vandal (Tagger). This Train was targeted.  

2 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Do we have any evidence this wasn't just the usual BS that goes down on trains in CIY that are left on open tracks (graffiti etc.)? E.g. not a fan but some average vandal?

The interior was vandalized in addition to the outside of the train. Modern day graffiti artists don't vandalize train interiors in the yard, they just tag the outside of the train and leave. The PA system was damaged as part of the vandalism, don't think a tagger would do that.

11 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Regardless, I still don't think they should cancel the trip. Maybe hire better security at CIY!

I don't think they'll cancel it but push it back a week or two. 60-80% of the R32 fleet hasn't been inspected in months. Can't just pull out a train out of pitkin or concourse yards and just run it. They have to make sure that the cars are safe for the road and that is going to take a good chunk of time.

They Were really gonna go all out for the last run too but I think it's best to push it back. I still think this would have been done in the summer vs now.

What a terrible shame - words just fail me.  I'd like to think that no one who considers themselves an enthusiast would ever commit such a terrible act, but there are some disturbed individuals in this hobby and nothing would surprise me.  I have to think that the Transit Museum will pull the plug on the final run - it's just not worth the expense and effort any more given the insistence by some awful people to ruin this occasion for everyone else.  Hopefully those responsible for this crime will be found and brought to justice. 

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I don't think they'll cancel it but push it back a week or two. 60-80% of the R32 fleet hasn't been inspected in months. Can't just pull out a train out of pitkin or concourse yards and just run it. They have to make sure that the cars are safe for the road and that is going to take a good chunk of time.

They Were really gonna go all out for the last run too but I think it's best to push it back. I still think this would have been done in the summer vs now.

I’d be glad if they push it back to late spring or summer. That’s probably the best time to do a final run on the (Q) line in Brooklyn. It would be much better than canceling the last run entirely.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

13 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

There would be more prep needed in in getting the train ready.  Car Equipment would have to make sure the cars have a decent air conditioning reliability.  But even so, we all know how unreliable the R32 air conditioning was.  Even with running the cars on an outside line, the sun beating down on the windows would make the air conditioning ineffective.   I wouldn't even consider the Q being 50-50 underground/aboveground except on the first trip of the day since it's a long way underground from n/b PPk back to s/b PPk (I wouldn't count the 5 minutes each way on the bridge) and a long way above ground/open cut from s/b PPk back to n/b PPk where the a/c can cool down with regular outside air.  Running the farewell R32  in this time of year is the best time.  Finally, with the drama of the first week and the yard vandalism this week, there are many transit insiders, besides the Transit Museum President, who want this R32 thing to be over with this Sunday and be thankful it's over with.

1 hour ago, 2 Train Master said:

How soon will there be a final decision or a tentative schedule of when the next runs would be? I hope they won't cancel the final few Sundays. I would love to make the 4 hour trek to see my family and enjoy a round trip or 2 on the 32's.

There's only one more Sunday left (01/09) (this upcoming one) and this will be the farewell trip. If you miss it, it'll be pretty hard to ride them in passenger service after this. The train will do several round trips on the (Q). There's still an uncertainty as to IF they will run because of vandalism in Coney Island Yard, will they drill up a new train or make repairs as quickly as possible? Still up in the air. They may even have to postpone the final run or outright cancel them altogether. 

Jeez, I don't remember hearing about such nonsense in past years with these special runs. Why on Earth would someone want to cause such damage to a damn train?This makes dealing with those annoying hipsters dressed in 1920's clothing and the no-pants rides seem like a walk in the park. I swear, this pandemic has brought out the absolute worst in humanity. The cr*p I've seen, not just in the transit world, in the last year and a half makes me lose all faith in humanity.

7 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

There would be more prep needed in in getting the train ready.  Car Equipment would have to make sure the cars have a decent air conditioning reliability.  But even so, we all know how unreliable the R32 air conditioning was.  Even with running the cars on an outside line, the sun beating down on the windows would make the air conditioning ineffective.   I wouldn't even consider the Q being 50-50 underground/aboveground except on the first trip of the day since it's a long way underground from n/b PPk back to s/b PPk (I wouldn't count the 5 minutes each way on the bridge) and a long way above ground/open cut from s/b PPk back to n/b PPk where the a/c can cool down with regular outside air.  Running the farewell R32  in this time of year is the best time.  Finally, with the drama of the first week and the yard vandalism this week, there are many transit insiders, besides the Transit Museum President, who want this R32 thing to be over with this Sunday and be thankful it's over with.

If this virus wasn't spreading like a wildfire i would agree. I'm only saying this because of the amount of cases that keep shooting up.

Man whoever is vandalizing the R32’s seriously has no life. My thing is what do you personally gain from it? I was considering coming out to one of the R32 retirement runs but I just can’t deal with the untamed kids and all the loud talking and such that they do. I remember when the R179’s debuted on the (A) I caught the initial set 3010-3019 by luck later on that week and decided to ride it from 59th street to Beach 67th and then take the Q52 back up to Queens Blvd. However for much of the ride there were these young teenage transit fans that were loud and kept on running back and forth in the car. I remember later on that day on the forums I heard the R179’s had to be taken out of service for something once it reached Mott Ave. It probably was those kids. 

What these little troublemakers don’t understand is that the MTA doesn’t have to run any vintage fleet or have any retirement ceremonies. There are plenty of agencies out there that just retire their fleet and that’s it. So with that in mind I would try to be on my best behavior and use those moments as opportunities to come together with other fellow transit fans to enjoy the ride and socialize. Destroying property that ain’t yours is flat out dumb and some of these folks be the same ones that want to fight you if you accidentally stepped on their shoes. 

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Jeez, I don't remember hearing about such nonsense in past years with these special runs. Why on Earth would someone want to cause such damage to a damn train?This makes dealing with those annoying hipsters dressed in 1920's clothing and the no-pants rides seem like a walk in the park. I swear, this pandemic has brought out the absolute worst in humanity. The cr*p I've seen, not just in the transit world, in the last year and a half makes me lose all faith in humanity.

Ugh, that I forgot about that BS. The good thing is, it's not happening this year. The bad thing, it's only not happening for this year. I would prefer it to never happen again personally. 

10 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I think people dressed as santas didn't happen that year. I remember at least 2-3 years ago Santa-con happened unless, it happened but the party was less than expected. 

59 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I think people dressed as santas didn't happen that year. I remember at least 2-3 years ago Santa-con happened unless, it happened but the party was less than expected. 

I think it was pretty tame this year...I saw a clip on the news, but didn't hear of any arrests or fights