I just realized the Orion 7's Sucks! lol

I Run Trains

I been meaning to post this for a nice lil while now. So I Notice that Amsterdam only handles the M98 in the morning and MJQ has it Morning and afternoon.

Some days I get a RTS from MJQ, or an Orion 5 from Amsterdam which is a pretty nice and quick ride, but when I get an Orion 7... I hate it... I swear that Bus is soo slow on the Harlem River Drive. This bus barly hitting 35mph while all the cars is passing the bus. Its very slow!!! When I'm on a Orion 5 or RTS they hit 55 on the Harlem River drive passing a lot of cars!. (I know because the bus is packed and I'm stand in front with the driver looking at the speed.)

At first I thought it might have been the driver , but I get different drivers on the M98's orion 7.

Then when I get off I have to take the M60. And I noticed the the older 7's are a lil faster but those suck on the triboro too! And the Newer 7's are slow as well.... I thought these buses was kool, but they really suck. No standing room and they are slow!!!!

I been meaning to post this for a nice lil while now. So I Notice that Amsterdam only handles the M98 in the morning and MJQ has it Morning and afternoon.

Some days I get a RTS from MJQ, or an Orion 5 from Amsterdam which is a pretty nice and quick ride, but when I get an Orion 7... I hate it... I swear that Bus is soo slow on the Harlem River Drive. This bus barly hitting 35mph while all the cars is passing the bus. Its very slow!!! When I'm on a Orion 5 or RTS they hit 55 on the Harlem River drive passing a lot of cars!. (I know because the bus is packed and I'm stand in front with the driver looking at the speed.)

At first I thought it might have been the driver , but I get different drivers on the M98's orion 7.

Then when I get off I have to take the M60. And I noticed the the older 7's are a lil faster but those suck on the triboro too! And the Newer 7's are slow as well.... I thought these buses was kool, but they really suck. No standing room and they are slow!!!!

I feel your pain but that's the Orion VII for you. They are regulated at 40 mph or less. It is a hazard-especially on a highway where in some instances, you must go at least 40 mph to go with the flow of traffic. And some of these buses don't even break 35 mph.

I can't stand the sight of these Orion VIIs either. These drivers/dispatchers are so obsessed with them-especially at MTAB. I passed by LGA Depot earlier this morning and there were so many RTSs sitting there and so little Orion VIIs. What is it about a slow small and cluttered bus that these drivers like so much? 1 bus I rode already has 50,000 miles on it...< 1 year after it has been delivered.

If I were a driver, I'd request to take out any other bus than that Orion VII junk. I wouldn't care if it was an 7100 8000 9300 or 9700. As long as I don't get the Orion VII junk. As a rider, I try and pass them up as much as I can, but there are times that I must ride one and boy do I dred it.

Last night, I rode 5945 on the Q60. Most of the time, there are Orion VIIs all over that line. If I have free time, I'll let the Orion VII go and wait for a 100 or 5900.

I forgot to post this: I have rode on 6370 and 6404 on the M60. Both buses didn't even go 30 mph on the Triboro/RFK Br. Cars and trucks were just zipping by.

I remember 1 Orion VII did ride well: 6412. I didn't clock that 1 but it was going at least 40 because we were moving with the flow. It has probably been turned down since. Now I bet it only goes 25-30.

I agree you with both. The Orion VII's are slow as hell on the highway, whenever i ride one on the B103 the bus barly gets over 35 MPH and the engine is loud as heck. The tissueboxes have a faster takeoff than the RTS and Orion V(Both diesel and CNG), But the RTS and O5's are faster on the highway. I once rode this SC CNG on the BM3 and i swear the driver was going at least 65 to 70 MPH in the battery tunnel!! we smoked this CAS MCI at the beginining of the tunnel, was one of the best bus rides i ever had. Also rode TMC RTS's on the B103 and Q53, they both got to 55 MPH with ease. When i rode the TMC on the Q53 it was going faster than the cars when we was on the flats. If i have time i would pass up an VII for an C40LF or an high floor bus as well.

As for MTA bus drivers being obessed with the VII's, the ones at farock depot aren't i have seen TMC RTS's on the Q35 on a saturday. As for LGA it might be the dispatchers telling the drivers too take those hybrids out on the road, they might want to keep the older equipment off the road as much as possible for various reasons.

Welcome to the world of Orion VII OG's....cramped rolling flame throwers sneaker boxes on wheels!

I H A T E the 0-7s they are JUNK!!!!!!! LGA is beyond obsessed with using them meanwhile they have a bunch of 9300s sitting there as well as the other RTS a damn shame if you ask me.

I agree. the Orion VII are way to slow on the highway and they are too noisy. I'm no expert but I might think that the NG are better.

Drivers love them for driver comfort, especially tall drivers. The older Orion Vs that still have the fire extinguisher behind the drivers seat, and almost all RTSs, have the drivers sit to close to the steering wheel, and that starts to hurt knees, and that is why alot of drivers have knee and hip problems (these surgeries are quite common years down the road for bus operators). The Orion VII is far better for comfort. The 6000series Orions have eliminated this problem, and when I worked in West Farms, if they had 6000series (only once did they when I was there and it got sent to KB in two weeks, I still never got it), I would have requested they give me that bus. I preferred the 6000series buses, except over a 5600-5700series articulated......

As for the speed, take it from someone who drove a bus for the MTA. Some of those speedometers are not to be trusted. Some say the bus is moving faster than it is, some does the opposite. Most are accurate. The slowest bus I had ever was from KB, and it went no more than 25mph. I was on the Bx7, next to the Henry Hudson P'way, where usually one opens the bus up for a short distance.........

You guys can speak for yourselves because the Orion VII NGs are doing pretty well out on Staten Island. They're capped out at around 55-60mph at CAS and MUCH speedier than the O5s, especially on steep hills like Castleton Ave on the S46, the Cebra Ave portion of the S52, the top of Victory Blvd, or even the ride across the Verrazono on the S53. The O5s are always struggling at those points but the O7s breeze through like nothing.

I was once on a "hawk" S53 around 1am and you would've thought the B/O had no schedule to follow because he was able to hop in the middle lane of the Verrazono and keep up with traffic all the way to the toll booths on the SI side. The O7NGs are also great on the S40/S90 as well, even with all the potholes & craters on Richmond Terrace.

You guys can speak for yourselves because the Orion VII NGs are doing pretty well out on Staten Island. They're capped out at around 55-60mph at CAS and MUCH speedier than the O5s, especially on steep hills like Castleton Ave on the S46, the Cebra Ave portion of the S52, the top of Victory Blvd, or even the ride across the Verrazono on the S53. The O5s are always struggling at those points but the O7s breeze through like nothing.

I was once on a "hawk" S53 around 1am and you would've thought the B/O had no schedule to follow because he was able to hop in the middle lane of the Verrazono and keep up with traffic all the way to the toll booths on the SI side. The O7NGs are also great on the S40/S90 as well, even with all the potholes & craters on Richmond Terrace.

Um......... I wasn't mentioning the NG's

I was talking about the regular 07

The Orion VII's are the worst piece of crap ever built. Whenever they move they have this swaying motion. The engine/battery makes this painful and incessant noise. Due to the layout there's less overall space than a conventional bus and everyone's cramped.

The Orion VII's are the worst piece of crap ever built. Whenever they move they have this swaying motion. The engine/battery makes this painful and incessant noise. Due to the layout there's less overall space than a conventional bus and everyone's cramped.

Agreed 100% its going to be horrable when those NG's come to flatbush, those buses cannot handle the large crowds. Even those RTS don't even have enough room to handle the crowds flatbush needs artics, not crappy VII NG's!!

I like how the O7s (OG and NG) look on the otuside but I don't like the interior of the O7OG. Tall people don't like the back which is where I go every time I take a bus (not too often). Every time I get into one of those side seats on the back row facing the window, I always bump my head on the lower ceiling. I don't know why no one moves to the back though. I know the steps are there, but people always complain about the riding in a bathtub feeling which you don't have if you move to the back and get a seat.

as a driver i know what you all mean. but lga depot doesn't have alot of those modified orions, i've hit 55+ a couple of times with ease but...............

the brakes SUCK!!!!!!!. going fast or slow. i'll take an rts anyday over an orion except 8300's. either they're crappy from factory or nyc transit really blew them out, especially 1st gear on the tranny. no acceleration whatsoever.

I agree you with both. The Orion VII's are slow as hell on the highway, whenever i ride one on the B103 the bus barly gets over 35 MPH and the engine is loud as heck. The tissueboxes have a faster takeoff than the RTS and Orion V(Both diesel and CNG), But the RTS and O5's are faster on the highway. I once rode this SC CNG on the BM3 and i swear the driver was going at least 65 to 70 MPH in the battery tunnel!! we smoked this CAS MCI at the beginining of the tunnel, was one of the best bus rides i ever had. Also rode TMC RTS's on the B103 and Q53, they both got to 55 MPH with ease. When i rode the TMC on the Q53 it was going faster than the cars when we was on the flats. If i have time i would pass up an VII for an C40LF or an high floor bus as well.

As for MTA bus drivers being obessed with the VII's, the ones at farock depot aren't i have seen TMC RTS's on the Q35 on a saturday. As for LGA it might be the dispatchers telling the drivers too take those hybrids out on the road, they might want to keep the older equipment off the road as much as possible for various reasons.

I was on a 07 on the 103 going downtown, and the bus hit 50 mph. Not all of the 07's are slow. the older ones (6300's & 6400's) are a bit slower, but i like them because of the dofferent sound it makes compared to the newer 07's. all in all... THEY DO SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Archived