New Bus Schedules 1/14/23 - 67X Elimination, 119 & 128 Increases, and More

BM5 via Woodhaven

From NJ Transit Webpage

Good to see the increases on the 119 in particular. However, with regards to the 67X, I wonder what this means for the seasonal service to Seaside Park. Will they extend the local trips out there, will they actually run 67X buses for the summer only, will they even run it at all? I would think they would have made a distinction if seasonal service was the case. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New NJ TRANSIT Bus Schedules – Effective Saturday, January 14, 2023

New NJ TRANSIT bus schedules will take effect on Saturday, January 14 on several bus routes.

Please visit the Bus Point-to-Point page to carefully review bus timetables before starting your trip. If your bus route has an upcoming timetable change, a link will be available stating "Upcoming Schedule - Effective January 14, 2023" in the “Download PDF Schedules” area.

New timetables will be posted for the following NJ TRANSIT Bus Routes:

• 1/361, 10, 13, 27, go28, 30, 37, 40, 48, 58, 59, 62, 65/66, 67, 76, 79, 90, 92, 107, 111, 113, 115, 116, 119, 122/190, 123, 125, 126, 128, 133, 144/145/148/164, 153/159, 154, 155/168, 157/167/177, 158, 160, 162/163/164, 165, 166, 191/195, 193/194/197/198/324, 313/315, 317, 319, 400, 401, 402, 404, 406, 408, 409, 410, 412, 414/417/555, 453, 455, 551, 601, 606, 611, 613, 703, & 712.

Please note the following service changes:

On bus routes mentioned above, trip times and service levels have been adjusted to reflect current travel experience and improve reliability, below are some of the major highlights.

• No. 10 Weekdays: Two additional AM trips have been added to Journal Square.
  • Nos. 13/27/90/92 Daily: Trip times throughout the day may have changed as part of efforts to improve on-time performance.
  • Nos. go28/37/62/67/107 Daily: Schedules have been revised to serve the new Terminal A at Newark Liberty International Airport.
  • No. 67: The 67X trips have been eliminated due to low ridership.
  • No. 113/115 Weekdays: The 113 X will see one additional outbound trip between 5:15 and 6:16 PM; the 115 will see one additional trip in the 8:00 AM hour to New York – all trips between 6:00 AM – 8:00 AM have shifted as a result.
  • 116 Daily: All trips after 10:00 PM will depart Gate 317 at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York.
  • No. 119 Weekdays: Six AM peak trips and two trips after the AM rush hours have been added heading to New York along with two more trips departing New York in the evening hours.  Saturday service has been increased from every 60 minutes to 30 minutes and Sunday service has been increased from every 60 minutes to 45 minutes throughout most of the day.
  • No. 125 Daily: Gate change after 10:00 PM to gate 302.
  • No. 126 Weekdays: 10 trips will be added to New York between 7:30 AM and 9:00 AM, with seven of these trips serving Clinton Street.
  • No. 128 Weekdays: Five AM peak trips have been added to New York between 7:40 AM – 8:40 AM.  Departing New York, a 4:45 PM trip and five trips between 9:00 PM – midnight have also been added.
  • No. 133: The 1:30 PM Friday Only trip to Old Bridge has been eliminated due to low ridership.
  • No. 158 Weekdays: Four AM trips to New York have been added to the schedule between 7:00 AM – 9:00 AM.
  • No. 190 Weekdays:  Two AM “X” trips, two PM “X” trips and two PM “R” trips have been added to the schedule.
  • No. 319 Weekdays: The 4:25AM trip to Journal Square and the 4:15PM trip to Atlantic City will now operate via Brick and Dorado Park and Rides.
  •  

Holiday notes:

• On Martin Luther King Day (Monday, January 17) and Presidents' Day (Monday, February 21), most routes will operate on either a Holiday, Saturday or Sunday schedule. See Bus Schedules or the Holiday Service Guide for further details.

Customers are encouraged to monitor Travel Alerts & Advisories, sign up for My Transit Alerts, download the NJ TRANSIT app and follow us on Social Media for the latest service information.

For more information and language assistance, please call NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at (973) 275-5555 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5PM daily.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

12 hours ago, jmel247 said:

Increased service on the 119 is a plus, especially on Saturdays and Sundays where it can get very crowded

To be honest service should have not decreased 10 99s/119 have always been good ridership lines....Coach Usa Took over alot of lines thats either now discontinued or have terrible  headways...10 119 is an example

14 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

To be honest service should have not decreased 10 99s/119 have always been good ridership lines....Coach Usa Took over alot of lines thats either now discontinued or have terrible  headways...10 119 is an example

NJT should've taken over those routes sooner, as soon as Red & Tan in Hudson County went out of business. Glad they have it now and it service has drastically improved 

• 2 weeks later...

The Go28 is losing two round trips a day.

Edit, 6 buses cut on Saturday. Ridiculous. Is there no requirement to inform people of such large service cuts? Saying ".

Schedules have been revised" is incredibly misleading

Edited by jass

7 hours ago, jass said:

The Go28 is losing two round trips a day.

Edit, 6 buses cut on Saturday. Ridiculous. Is there no requirement to inform people of such large service cuts? Saying ".

Schedules have been revised" is incredibly misleading

I think the way they phrase it is something like "Less than 25% of service hours" or something along those lines isn't considered a major service cut.

But yes, I agree, they should've posted more notice on their website. The go28 gets very crowded around shift change times.

Like the go25, the go28 should be a weekday only service at this point.... I notice far too many of those things running around relatively lightly on weekends... Between Bloomfield & Downtown Newark, it's used too interchangeably with the 11/28/29 (moreso than it being higher in demand b/w those two points than either of those 3 aforementioned routes, which is moreso the case on weekdays).... There are too few people along Bloomfield av. on weekends seeking EWR specifically.... The service supplied on the #62 b/w Downtown Newark & the EWR Terminals is too great, compared to the #go28.... Not to mention the increased coverage (stops) in Downtown Newark.

The #go28 in general is a good idea on paper, but I'd say it should be more of a service primarily catered to getting folks along/around (more of the denser part of) Bloomfield av. to/from Downtown Newark faster.... The #29x, albeit only in the peak direction, does that for riders (or at least, attempts to) at & north/west of Verona - but what I'm referring to is for points south/east of say, Montclair.... Basically the opposite segment of Bloomfield av.... Like the #11, I think the #29x should be canned also... It's (29x) too close to being on par with the #29 local.... Tying this back to the #go28, the airport aspect of the route, along with the University Heights branch of the thing, always struck me as a ridership grab, back when it was created in 2009.... There's a reason the University Heights branch was canned back in either 2011 or 2012.... I would unhesitatingly say that there are significantly more folks along more of Bloomfield av. that are seeking Downtown Newark, than there are folks along Bloomfield av from Bloomfield Twp. on down to that Lower Broadway part of Newark, specifically seeking airport access....

I'd look into either running the thing either between [Lincoln Park & Bloomfield Ctr.] or between [Lincoln Park & Montclair] & calling it a day... That way, Bloomfield av. folks have bi-directional service along Broad (compared to the 11/28/29, which runs over on Washington towards Bloomfield)... But I don't agree with cutting back on the thing's weekday frequency... The #go28 should be repurposed, or else it's going to keep seeing cuts, as long as it continues serving the airport....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 1/1/2023 at 10:23 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

There must be some glitch as they're reprogramming the schedules. I'm trying to plan a trip from Toms River to Newark, and all of the options have me coming into NYC and back.

LMFAO.... The #6x routes have always been bastard stepchildren along rt. 9.... The trip planner's been doing that for a minute though.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

From doing the 119, adding artics to this route and being operated under NJT has improved ridership tenfold.

Being operated under NJT significantly improved ridership.... Turning it into an articulated route improved the logistics of the route.

But yeah, to sum it up, the #119 is #winning right now.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Like the go25, the go28 should be a weekday only service at this point.... I notice far too many of those things running around relatively lightly on weekends... Between Bloomfield & Downtown Newark, it's used too interchangeably with the 11/28/29 (moreso than it being higher in demand b/w those two points than either of those 3 aforementioned routes, which is moreso the case on weekdays).... There are too few people along Bloomfield av. on weekends seeking EWR specifically.... The service supplied on the #62 b/w Downtown Newark & the EWR Terminals is too great, compared to the #go28.... Not to mention the increased coverage (stops) in Downtown Newark.

The #go28 in general is a good idea on paper, but I'd say it should be more of a service primarily catered to getting folks along/around (more of the denser part of) Bloomfield av. to/from Downtown Newark faster.... The #29x, albeit only in the peak direction, does that for riders (or at least, attempts to) at & north/west of Verona - but what I'm referring to is for points south/east of say, Montclair.... Basically the opposite segment of Bloomfield av.... Like the #11, I think the #29x should be canned also... It's (29x) too close to being on par with the #29 local.... Tying this back to the #go28, the airport aspect of the route, along with the University Heights branch of the thing, always struck me as a ridership grab, back when it was created in 2009.... There's a reason the University Heights branch was canned back in either 2011 or 2012.... I would unhesitatingly say that there are significantly more folks along more of Bloomfield av. that are seeking Downtown Newark, than there are folks along Bloomfield av from Bloomfield Twp. on down to that Lower Broadway part of Newark, specifically seeking airport access....

I'd look into either running the thing either between [Lincoln Park & Bloomfield Ctr.] or between [Lincoln Park & Montclair] & calling it a day... That way, Bloomfield av. folks have bi-directional service along Broad (compared to the 11/28/29, which runs over on Washington towards Bloomfield)... But I don't agree with cutting back on the thing's weekday frequency... The #go28 should be repurposed, or else it's going to keep seeing cuts, as long as it continues serving the airport....

The thing with the airport ridership (on that route anyway) is that it's very dependent on the shift changes at the airport. I've been on buses that are jam-packed (even after a #62 took a good chunk of the potential riders), but I've also been on buses where there were like 2 other people. 

I'd try to have one of the other Bloomfield Avenue routes swing over to the airport (via Broad like you said, so it complements the service along University/Washington) rather than outright eliminating the connection from the North Ward to the airport. The limited-stop service doesn't really save much time. (I'd try re-spacing the local stops along Bloomfield Avenue anyway. There's stops like Parker Street and Lake Street, or North 7th Street and First Avenue, where they're pretty much across the street from each other).

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The thing with the airport ridership (on that route anyway) is that it's very dependent on the shift changes at the airport. I've been on buses that are jam-packed (even after a #62 took a good chunk of the potential riders), but I've also been on buses where there were like 2 other people. 

I'd try to have one of the other Bloomfield Avenue routes swing over to the airport (via Broad like you said, so it complements the service along University/Washington) rather than outright eliminating the connection from the North Ward to the airport. The limited-stop service doesn't really save much time. (I'd try re-spacing the local stops along Bloomfield Avenue anyway. There's stops like Parker Street and Lake Street, or North 7th Street and First Avenue, where they're pretty much across the street from each other).

I wouldn't run any of the other Bloomfield av. routes to the airport... From Willowbrook Mall or Essex Mall, it's not worth it, for especially for as sluggish as Bloomfield av. can get - Even if you were to take the #28's that short turn at MSU..... It's why they came out with this rendition of a #28 (#go28) that runs no further than Bloomfield Twp... Stop consolidation for the Bloomfield av locals is another issue (which won't do those routes much justice either if they were to run to the airport, if you're telling me that the go bus itself doesn't save much time)....

I personally think the #go28 was hastily created after the inaugural #go25 anyway, but that's neither here nor there...

Getting rid of the 67X was all Howells fault. They were cutting the trips, dumping people at Penn Station, skipping the airport on local trips, cutting brick twp on the 67B. So In turn njt said all trips are now local. Now the 319 suffers because all those Newark and Jersey people that take the 4pm and 6pm out of Atlantic City now will go to New York to take the 108, 119, 123, 125. The 137 cuts will be next, it’s just a matter of time before the off peak 137s will become 319s and 137 will only run during rush hour for the 137L and 137 via brick twp local.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:15 PM, B35 via Church said:

There are too few people along Bloomfield av. on weekends seeking EWR specifically.... The service supplied on the #62 b/w Downtown Newark & the EWR Terminals is too great, compared to the #go28.... Not to mention the increased coverage (stops) in Downtown Newark.

This isnt true at all. It gets absolutely packed at Market/Broad and Lincoln Park for folks going to/from airport. Ive never ridden it to Bloomfield, but it always arrives to Military Park mostly empty and then gets completely full at the next two stops.

And ts 20000% more reliable than the 62 because it actually maintains a timetable. I frequently see the 62 with 50+ minute gaps when its supposed to be every 15 minutes.

And Sundays are the busiest day at any airport...if anything, Sundays should have the most service.

3 minutes ago, jass said:

This isnt true at all. It gets absolutely packed at Market/Broad and Lincoln Park for folks going to/from airport. Ive never ridden it to Bloomfield, but it always arrives to Military Park mostly empty and then gets completely full at the next two stops.

And ts 20000% more reliable than the 62 because it actually maintains a timetable. I frequently see the 62 with 50+ minute gaps when its supposed to be every 15 minutes.

And Sundays are the busiest day at any airport...if anything, Sundays should have the most service.

That's his point. He's specifically talking about ridership along Bloomfield Avenue, which is north of Downtown Newark.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

There should be a GWB —> Newark Airport or Lower Manhattan —> Newark Airport route. CUSA has completely ruined the reliability of the 300.

The Newark Airport Express is STILL running on a Covid schedule!

Was every 15 minutes, now its every 45 and ends at like 10pm.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There should be a GWB —> Newark Airport or Lower Manhattan —> Newark Airport route. CUSA has completely ruined the reliability of the 300.

That's actually a pretty good idea. You could do Newark Airport, Newark Penn, and then straight to GWB.

That being said, I'm not sure what the 300 has to do with this. The buses don't stop at EWR as far as I'm aware: https://web.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/99/route300.pdf Maybe you're thinking of Trans-Bridge with its service to Branchburg/Allentown/Bethlehem?

2 hours ago, jass said:

No hes specifically saying the airport service is bad

He's saying the ridership from the airport predominantly comes from points south of Downtown, and the #62 does a better job of covering that ridership, compared to the go28. (I would assume that some amount of those go28 trips he is proposing to eliminate would end up becoming #62s, either to the airport, or all the way to Elizabeth)

2 hours ago, jass said:

The Newark Airport Express is STILL running on a Covid schedule!

Was every 15 minutes, now its every 45 and ends at like 10pm.

It would be nice if they had the #107 allow EWR passengers to/from the terminals after 10pm in that case.

13 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

That's actually a pretty good idea. You could do Newark Airport, Newark Penn, and then straight to GWB.

That being said, I'm not sure what the 300 has to do with this. The buses don't stop at EWR as far as I'm aware: https://web.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/99/route300.pdf Maybe you're thinking of Trans-Bridge with its service to Branchburg/Allentown/Bethlehem?

He's saying the ridership from the airport predominantly comes from points south of Downtown, and the #62 does a better job of covering that ridership, compared to the go28. (I would assume that some amount of those go28 trips he is proposing to eliminate would end up becoming #62s, either to the airport, or all the way to Elizabeth)

It would be nice if they had the #107 allow EWR passengers to/from the terminals after 10pm in that case.

I’d rather NJT use imminent domain and take the line back.

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm not sure if eminent domain applies to services. I thought it only applied to physical infrastructure. 

That being said, how long ago was the #300 operated by NJT? Was it created when the Raritan Valley Line was cut back to High Bridge?

12 hours ago, jass said:

8 hours ago, jass said:

No hes specifically saying the airport service is bad

I'm specifically saying the Bloomfield av. riders in particular on the #go28 by far & large, aren't the folks that constitute anywhere near most of the patronage to/from the airport... That is not saying "the airport service is bad" (like how you generally, erroneously state that I'm specifically making such a claim), because obviously the thing doesn't solely transport Bloomfield av. riders to/from the airport.... Of course the route has significant enough patronage b/w Downtown Newark & the airport...

Furthermore, I never claimed that the #62 is more reliable than the #go28... Even with the #62 being more delay prone, the fact of the matter is that it still sees more passenger activity to/from the airport than the #go28.... If the opposite was the case, NJT would be cutting into #62 service, instead of what's set to happen with the #go28....

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

He's saying the ridership from the airport predominantly comes from points south of Downtown, and the #62 does a better job of covering that ridership, compared to the go28. (I would assume that some amount of those go28 trips he is proposing to eliminate would end up becoming #62s, either to the airport, or all the way to Elizabeth).

At least you understood the point.

But yeah, if the #go28 were to be repurposed in either of the manner{s} I previously mentioned, whatever savings would result from that would definitely go towards more of those (former) #62 short turns to/from the airport.... I wouldn't say Elizabeth necessarily needs more service to Newark specifically via the airport.... Those folks can continue dogpiling on #24a's/24b's....

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That's not what eminent domain is used for.... But following your train of thought here, a public transit agency can't just debo a bus franchise from another entity....

I'm not sure if eminent domain applies to services. I thought it only applied to physical infrastructure. 

That being said, how long ago was the #300 operated by NJT? Was it created when the Raritan Valley Line was cut back to High Bridge?

Coach USA's line 300 is a completely separate bus line...

The old NJT #300 ran b/w PABT & EWR.... What we know as the "Newark Airport Shuttle" was formed from the old NJT #300... While IDK when the old NJT #300 was created, NJT stopped operating it sometime in the mid to late 90's...

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The old NJT #300 ran b/w PABT & EWR.... What we know as the "Newark Airport Shuttle" was formed from the old NJT #300... While IDK when the old NJT #300 was created, NJT stopped operating it sometime in the mid to late 90's...

Coach USA took it over in exchange for paying NJT 5% of the revenue.