C/R Exam # 4600 (Open-Competitive)

NJMike73

On 6/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, banjo said:

That's great news. Good luck on the exam! If that situation happens after year(s) of pay increases in the position, do they let you go back to the hourly rate with earned raises, or have to start all over again at starting pay rate?

If you come back within the year, you lose nothing. It’ll be like you never left. After the year if you’re allowed to go back, you’ll keep just your pay rate and anything else that your total time of service gets you. (i.e. vacation). You will lose some/all of your seniority for picking. 

• 3 months later...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A note for those looking to apply for this exam: the exam application was delayed for this one. The site says to check back on Monday or Tuesday.

10/01/2023 Update: The application filing periods for the following exams originally scheduled to open on 10/01/2023 have been delayed:

Conductor, Exam #4600
Telephone Maintainer, Exam #4603
Maintainer's Helper - Group B (Auto Mechanic Helper), Exam #4604
Bus Maintainer - Group B, Exam #4611
Promotion to Train Service Supervisor, Exam #4704
Please check back on Monday 10/02/2023 or Tuesday 10/03/2023. We apologize for the inconvenience.

https://new.mta.info/careers/exam-schedule

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

1 hour ago, Blitzer120 said:

Would someone still have to submit their HS Diploma if they have higher forms of education?

No. You just take your degree and that is enough. As long as it's a US degree you have no problems. If it's a foreign degree I think you have an additional step. 

On 10/3/2023 at 1:06 PM, Biggie said:

4600 is now open for filing. Looks like they want the diploma/GED by the end of the application period opposed to the date of appointment like before.

Will they contact us for it? If not, how do we know where to submit it? Thanks in advance

I find this part confusing.  But I think you have to get your HS diploma evaluated by a company that does that stuff. It only applies to immigrants who has a HS diploma outside the US. They did that shit with the station agent couple years back and the recent one. I was DQ'ed because I didn't get my HS diploma evaluated. It sucks. However I have a US college degree but it doesnt matter they still want immigrants HS certificate or diploma evaluated. It cost like $115.00.  All these steps. Geesh

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Whatshisface said:

Anyways, they extended the deadline to add 3 more weeks, is that normal? I really hope they don't cancel this one again, I really need this job.

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Second, from my perspective, I'm personally not surprised by this, since it seems that they need people, however, that's just me...

On 10/26/2023 at 12:18 AM, Whatshisface said:

Hello everyone, I put in my application recently and stumbled on here trying to do my research. Anyways, they extended the deadline to add 3 more weeks, is that normal? I really hope they don't cancel this one again, I really need this job.

The main reason is that their website crapped itself and has been giving thousands of people login trouble to apply. They even went back to paper applications until the 15th.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Yall, dose anyone know when we should expect to hear about our exam date and location? ik its more than a month out, but I don't want to slip through the cracks.

I’m trying to acquire the study book published by jasper young, but it seems like it has been sold out everywhere. Does anyone know what else I can do to try to get the book or am I screwed with the study book at this point?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Steve said:

Hey Yall, dose anyone know when we should expect to hear about our exam date and location? ik its more than a month out, but I don't want to slip through the cracks.

I havent gotten a letter or anything and the exam email and phone number doesnt work anymore. I'm worried my exam fee waiver got lost in the mail or something.

Edited by Whatshisface
grammar

(The) phone number doesnt work anymore

Glad to see im not the only one who cant get through to the Exam Unit, I had a question and I wanted to talk to a real person, my efforts were of course for naught

52 minutes ago, Whatshisface said:

I havent gotten a letter or anything and the exam email and phone number doesnt work anymore. I'm worried my exam fee waiver got lost in the mail or something.

something similar happened to my friend 2 weeks before the fare enforcement exam date they claimed they never got the waiver and my friend had to resend their military info to exams unit email lucky they were able to get everything sorted out in such short notice and they were able to take the test.

12 minutes ago, Island said:

they claimed they never got the waiver and my friend had to resend their military info to exams unit email

Damn, I have sent like 5 emails since Feb 1st and they still wont get back to me. I might just be screwed

5 minutes ago, Whatshisface said:

Damn, I have sent like 5 emails since Feb 1st and they still wont get back to me. I might just be screwed

stay persistent but try not to worry you have time. when they do reach out to you it will be via email,text message and a letter in the mail for the date.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Island said:

stay persistent but try not to worry you have time. when they do reach out to you it will be via email,text message and a letter in the mail for the date.

Do all MTA workers have poor interaction skills or something?? Gosh, this whole company seems like a quiet boat with nobody on it, it’s worse than Amtrak.

Edited by 2ride

As far as im aware Bridgeton, your the first on this forum to be contacted about this exam. Congrats, I suppose the rest of us are to follow in the coming week with at least a letter. I personally have not yet received an email or anything