R142/R142A mid-life refurbishment

U-BahnNYC

Considering that the bulk of the R142/R142A fleet is already at its midlife (crazy to think that), will there be any refurbishments or upgrades done to them? 

I think the Kawasaki built R142A's especially would need a serious overhaul. The jerking makes ride quality awful and the interiors are falling apart and looking just very worn out in general.

The Bombardier R142's are generally in much better condition, especially the supplemental 'R142S' fleet found on the (4), but of course both fleets could use a CBTC update and an interior refresh, maybe adding a FIND or better side destination displays. 

Edited by U-BahnNYC

3 hours ago, U-BahnNYC said:

Considering that the bulk of the R142/R142A fleet is already at its midlife (crazy to think that), will there be any refurbishments or upgrades done to them? 

I think the Kawasaki built R142A's especially would need a serious overhaul. The jerking makes ride quality awful and the interiors are falling apart and looking just very worn out in general.

The Bombardier R142's are generally in much better condition, especially the supplemental 'R142S' fleet found on the (4), but of course both fleets could use a CBTC update and an interior refresh, maybe adding a FIND or better side destination displays. 

You, uh, may want to retract that bit.

They definitely could use some maintenance and cleaning, the ones on the (4) especially. Aside from CBTC obviously, I do not really see the need for much of an upgrade necessary.

And yes, it is crazy to think that the R142/A is already halfway to retirement (on paper, anyways).

17 hours ago, AZthefoamer said:

They definitely could use some maintenance and cleaning, the ones on the (4) especially. Aside from CBTC obviously, I do not really see the need for much of an upgrade necessary.

And yes, it is crazy to think that the R142/A is already halfway to retirement (on paper, anyways).

They should replace the interior lighting just like they did with the R160’s

1 minute ago, Chris89292 said:

They should replace the interior lighting just like they did with the R160’s

Agreed, funny seeing the difference between the converted R188s and the newer R188s on the (7). It's like night and day.

9 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Agreed, funny seeing the difference between the converted R188s and the newer R188s on the (7). It's like night and day.

Not only that look at how much they've aged since then. The R142A that ended up on the (7) look more or less the same as when they got them. The New R188's don't have much wear considering they're approaching 10 years old. Compared to the R142?A that still remains on Lex and 7th Ave which looks like they've been beaten up, abused and haven't seen a wash in years. It was the same thing with the R62's the condition that the cars were when the (7) got it from the (6) felt the same when they gave it back to the (6). I never felt the other IRT depos did a good job maintaining their fleet like Corona does. 

23 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Not only that look at how much they've aged since then. The R142A that ended up on the (7) look more or less the same as when they got them. The New R188's don't have much wear considering they're approaching 10 years old. Compared to the R142?A that still remains on Lex and 7th Ave which looks like they've been beaten up, abused and haven't seen a wash in years. It was the same thing with the R62's the condition that the cars were when the (7) got it from the (6) felt the same when they gave it back to the (6). I never felt the other IRT depos did a good job maintaining their fleet like Corona does. 

Aside from the cbtc components, the converts were sent exactly how the were from the (6) faults and all. And to think at one point, there were plans to fully clean and overhaul them during the conversion phase before that was kiboshed.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

Yeah I'll agree with what others have been saying the (4) looks like it has a war zone on it's route. The interiors have generally held up quite well imo though, especially considering the lighter pallete and the cars relative age.

I wonder if these cars see more wear and tear simply because the lines they're on are all high ridership, have significant elevated portions, and run through some rougher areas of the city.

On 4/18/2023 at 12:39 PM, Chris89292 said:

They should just use the R188 design, all this planning isn’t necessary, except for contract procedures 

Isn’t an R188 literally just a R142A with CBTC? 

The project should designate the R142’s as the R188B’s and the R142A’s as the R188A’s. That way they can be interchanged throughout the entire IRT fleet, including the (7).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, Chris89292 said:

They should just use the R188 design, all this planning isn’t necessary, except for contract procedures 

The R142 has some differences from the R142A that might complicate reusing the R188 design, most notably the propulsion. I also think and R211 style FIND LCD screens and exterior side LED signs should be added as part of a refurbishment.