Question: Shuttles

R10 2952

There should be more shuttles.

- A

More to help out with G.Os and what not.

The shuttles are useful when they're put to work. The 42nd St (S) helps out when the (7)<7> is delayed or out for whatever reason.

The Franklin Av (S) allows for easy transfers within the system. [(A)(C) at Franklin Av, (2)(3)(4)(5) at Botanic Gardens, and (B)(Q) trains at Prospect Pk]

I never rode the Broad Channel (S) but it's there when the (A) isn't running.

How about a shuttle that goes from each side of the 42nd st shuttle onto its respective connection lines?

(S)(4)<4>(5)<5>(6)<6>

(S)(1)(2)(3)(9)

- A

That's an idea that I don't see the light of. There are other connections beside the (1)(2) and (3) that people want to ride. Plus, the (1)(2) and (3) lines aren't that wheelchair friendly. The current Times Square platform has a direct access to the (1)(2) and (3) with a short ride to the elevators. The elevators for the Broadway Line are right in front of the shuttle. For Grand Central, it's placed there for Metro North Railroad benefits. If that wasn't the case, then (MTA) would have taken the shuttle away. Plus there's no tracks.

Yea i saw the track map. It wouldn't work for the (1)(2)(3), however it would work for the (4)<4>(5)<5>(6)<6>. Turn them on the loop.

You could be really daring and change between the inner & outer loop to make a large looping line from GCT down to bowling green then go through the switch there (it is still there i saw it friday when i was in the inner loop on a (5)) and then have it go up the other side to TSQ. You would need a small wye (second feeder track heading southbound) there though, to make it bi-directional, so that is one challenge to that crazy idea.

Yes it borders on the silly, but it would be very cool to ride if you wanted to get across manhattan without changing trains. To be honest there are crazier ideas that are currently implimented on other transit systems, such as turning :septa: trains at zoo interlocking (one of the busiest in the country at the confluence of 2 major rail lines), and other things in otherp arts of the world.

Make no mistake (NYCT) is lagging behind. It's fun cool interesting now, but imagine if all the stations were clean and safe, and all the lines and stations and movements that should and could be done were done. I think that is where we should be, not just new rolling stock, or a refurb station here & there.

I guess i have grander ideas that may seem silly at times, but really aren't and i personally think would be very cool if implemented. :cool:

- A

Been there, done that. I believe that was called the original IRT, wasn't it ???

Before they demolished the connections for three tracks on each side.

Yea i saw the track map. It wouldn't work for the (1)(2)(3), however it would work for the (4)<4>(5)<5>(6)<6>. Turn them on the loop.

And go back up the downtown track? The point is, there's only one connection on each side, and they both go to one-way revenue tracks. I don't see how you're going to bring the train back to the shuttle line (unless you want to push it for the (4)(5)(6) and send the (S) past GCT onto those switches, reverse on the downtown local track, go down to the connection and reverse again into the shuttle station. Many problems I see with that one, though.)

Like i said, it's just an idea, not saying they would do it. There is always a way to make things work, i mean, the system as it is today is that way because of so many changes that they made and various projects and such.

The only safe and simple way to do it would be to build a new offshoot that looped to the north then east coming around under the current (S) platoform area, as simple as it would be, it is a major undertaking and a huge construction project for the all ready cash strapped (MTA).

Till SAS is completed, this wouldn't really work because without that swirl out to the east then back to the west under the GCT area, you'd need to cross southbound tracks to get to GCT. Possible, but not practical. The lex is just too busy.

If you did the "swirl" in a way that avoids the (7), problem solved on that side, but now on to tsq.... You have space there, not only laterally but vertically as well. You could go north of where the (7) is, and have another "swirl" but this time out to the west then heading east towards tsq. Connect the space between the "swirls" under the current shuttle north of the (7).

Now you can have a clockwise & counterclockwise movement that can take people all around the city. You could give it an 8 designation.

As i said before, just an idea.

Another idea is to have a shuttle that goes from citi field to yankee stadium but only runs days when there's a game at both. Bit more complicated, but possible.

In any case, i think everyone has had enough of my crazy schemes for now. :cool:

- A

Like i said, it's just an idea, not saying they would do it. There is always a way to make things work, i mean, the system as it is today is that way because of so many changes that they made and various projects and such.

The only safe and simple way to do it would be to build a new offshoot that looped to the north then east coming around under the current (S) platoform area, as simple as it would be, it is a major undertaking and a huge construction project for the all ready cash strapped (MTA).

Till SAS is completed, this wouldn't really work because without that swirl out to the east then back to the west under the GCT area, you'd need to cross southbound tracks to get to GCT. Possible, but not practical. The lex is just too busy.

If you did the "swirl" in a way that avoids the (7), problem solved on that side, but now on to tsq.... You have space there, not only laterally but vertically as well. You could go north of where the (7) is, and have another "swirl" but this time out to the west then heading east towards tsq. Connect the space between the "swirls" under the current shuttle north of the (7).

Now you can have a clockwise & counterclockwise movement that can take people all around the city. You could give it an 8 designation.

As i said before, just an idea.

Another idea is to have a shuttle that goes from citi field to yankee stadium but only runs days when there's a game at both. Bit more complicated, but possible.

In any case, i think everyone has had enough of my crazy schemes for now. :cool:

- A

that might be crazy, but it can work. And it seems like people forgot about other shuttles out there...

(A): Lefferts Blvd to Euclid Av

(M): Metropolitan Av to Myrtle-Bway

(R): 36 St-4 Av to Bay Ridge-95 St

(3): Harlem-148 St to Times Sq-42 St

(5): Eastchester-Dyre to East 180 St

Even though they are only part of a line, it still is a shuttle.

I'll add a bit more fuel to Metsfan's idea.

AFAIK, the other 3 trackways of the original IRT are still intact and just blocked off by the walkway to the Lex line. So in theory, they could do. MAJOR construction... but possible.

Making it a bi-directional loop line would provide a challenge, but it's definitely possible. MTA would never do it... but it's physically possible. :P

I love (S).

It is helpful.

42nd St (S) helps (7)<7>, M42/M104 bus.

I love Franklin and Rockaway Park (S), but weekends, Rockaway Park (S) are awful.

Especially if you're waiting at Broad Channel, Rockaway Park (S) always seem like it takes forever.

Same for Franklin Av (S) because of single track from Franklin Av-Botanical Garden.

Archived