Breaking News Bailout deal reached to save MTA doomesday cuts for 2009

So, we pay because (MTA) can't manage its books?

I'm still mad. :mad::tdown:

- A

The (MTA) actually has a unlimited budget. When the fake books goes into the red, they put up a good show to get Albany to flood it with money.

I also agree with the 25 charge,and for thow's how think the 25 is to much just be glad is not 50 cent's.also $2:25 is good deal,just go to any please in the country or the world is how much they charge for trains and buses,specially for a single ride,MTA is still the cheapest transit around.

I really hope the bosses manage there books,but I have a bad feeling that were going to be back to this topic next year.

Even with the times we are going through, it's almost imposable to save if you have a lot on your plate. You can't always predict what will happen down the road so it's better to take things 1 day @ a time.

However I do gotta admit that when the guy before Sander was running the MTA, I do think that he was trying to put the MTA into the gound by borrowing heavy amounts of money to fund the capital project's. So as a result, Sander now has to clean up the other person's trash for what the other person did a few years ago.

That 'guy' before Sandler was former MTA Boss and 'close friend' of Pataki, E. Virgil Conway a Multi Millionarie Real Estate mogul. Back then the MTA Chairman had more day-day power.

That is totally unacceptable.

I'm not paying 25 cents a pop more just because (MTA) cant run itself properly.

:mad::tdown:

- A

I rather pay 25 cents more than to drop in 50 more. It's not the best deal, but it won't kill me.

Don't complain, it's still cheaper than riding a taxi.

BREAKING NEWS ALERT: MTA Bailout Plan Offically Approved.

Albany lawmakers and the Gov. David Paterson will soon announce that they have finalized and agreed to a bailout plan for New York's cash-strapped transit system to avoid fare spikes and service cuts.

The Bailout is expected to pass along partisan lines in both houses and Gov Paterson signing it into law as early as Friday 5/8/09. The Base NYC subway/bus fare expected to rise to $2.25 will take effect in July instead of May 31.:tup:

Well IMO I think only the 25 cents increase is still a pretty good deal compared to $2.50 and later $3.00. Yet if bill's unsigned I guess anythings up for change.

Lower your signature size.

BREAKING NEWS ALERT: MTA Bailout Plan Offically Approved.

Albany lawmakers and the Gov. David Paterson will soon announce that they have finalized and agreed to a bailout plan for New York's cash-strapped transit system to avoid fare spikes and service cuts.

The Bailout is expected to pass along partisan lines in both houses and Gov Paterson signing it into law as early as Friday 5/8/09. The Base NYC subway/bus fare expected to rise to $2.25 will take effect in July instead of May 31.:tup:

Ok I just totally downloaded an anime theme just for this piece of news. It's not as good as having no fare hike at all but this is definitely better than doomsday.

We older posters have seen this scenario time after time.Threaten the public with draconian cuts and fare hikes and at the last minute reach a deal. The public breathes a sigh of relief because the fare is not rising as much as was threatened. And no one investigates this agency again. Meanwhile the major projects are still un/or underfunded. Posters have argued about new lines, rolling stock and buses, transit hubs, etc. but the funding is still not there. R179-R188 subway cars, hybrid buses aren't mentioned in this agreement. This is just to tide the (MTA) over 'til the next crisis ( budget shortfall ) which was mentioned early on but seemingly forgotten in the last week or so. We were warned about the next wave of cuts but there still is no dedicated revenue stream from the State of NY or the localities involved to prevent this from becoming a yearly exercise. Keep your eyes open and watch your wallet because this is just a respite and not the cure-all.

this don't really matter to the People who ride the buses and trains....people who drive their car in and out Manhattan are glad this bill is past since they don't have to pay anything.

But who or what will replace the MTA?

Exactly. I don't know why people are so jumpy onto the conclusion that (MTA) needs to be taken apart.

If independent companies run the rails that would be a horrendous idea. Do you honestly think that they care about rail safety? They don't....as long as they profit, they're okay. Plus, on shared lines, the companies will wreck everything with rail rivalry.

In my opinion, (MTA) doesn't need to be destroyed or anything. They just need to fire every single person that's running it and appoint new credible people. That way, it's fair for everyone.

Exactly. I don't know why people are so jumpy onto the conclusion that (MTA) needs to be taken apart.

If independent companies run the rails that would be a horrendous idea. Do you honestly think that they care about rail safety? They don't....as long as they profit, they're okay. Plus, on shared lines, the companies will wreck everything with rail rivalry.

In my opinion, (MTA) doesn't need to be destroyed or anything. They just need to fire every single person that's running it and appoint new credible people. That way, it's fair for everyone.

It's all about corruption.

If the MTA is replaced with even more corrupt individuals, what good is there?

Archived