Over heard a T/O talk..

NYtransit

For those that think that the R142A/Ss are going to be wasted on the 7, they currently being wasted on the Lex. Since the Lex is currently 100% NTT, the Lex should've been the first to got CBTC in the IRT. Now that the 7 is getting CBTC, it's best if they spend their time there instead.

Regarding the fleet, the 6 train's R142As would not cover the entire 7 line. The supplement order or R142Ss would be converted as well in addition to ordering 23 cars (most likely trailers) to extend the R188s to 11 car trains.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those that think that the R142A/Ss are going to be wasted on the 7, they currently being wasted on the Lex. Since the Lex is currently 100% NTT, the Lex should've been the first to got CBTC in the IRT. Now that the 7 is getting CBTC, it's best if they spend their time there instead.

Regarding the fleet, the 6 train's R142As would not cover the entire 7 line. The supplement order or R142Ss would be converted as well in addition to ordering 23 cars (most likely trailers) to extend the R188s to 11 car trains.

I;m confused now, so if this yr the R142As are going on the (7) from Westchester to Corona, this would mean it wouldnt be enough. Then it will grab the supplement R142As on the (4)? So the R62As would run on the (4) and (6)? And this would become the "R188"?

I;m confused now, so if this yr the R142As are going on the (7) from Westchester to Corona, this would mean it wouldnt be enough. Then it will grab the supplement R142As on the (4)? So the R62As would run on the (4) and (6)? And this would become the "R188"?

Yes indeed, but it wouldn't be until the R179 order is finished.

Yes indeed, but it wouldn't be until the R179 order is finished.

Thanks for commenting although im still stuck. If the R142/As will become R188 after R179 which CBTC will begin, why does the R142 have to switch now from the (6) to (7) if the R179s wont be placed until R160s are finish which wont be till 2010 or 2011?

I knew this for a few months. Second, The R188 order is a proposed order of 186 new cars. The other 400 are conversion kits for the R142A cars on the (6) and to be transferred to Corona when the Flushing line gets CBTC. This leads to a total of 586 cars.

At present IIRC there is no IRT line or yard that handles 586 cars. The (2) and (5) together have approximately 650 cars and all are not used even at peak rush hour service. My question to all of you is where would all of these new and conversion cars be used or stored ? Not Corona or the (7) line b/c they only had about 400 cars when they ran maximum service back in the day (1985).

What the heck does a RFW has to do with providing good service. Its just a window, where you see stuff outside... So if the T/A wants NTT on the (7) well then thats what it get, seeing that its the 2nd line not to connect with mainline, just like the Carnasie (L)..

At least RFW will be on the Pelham (6)<6> good view ^_^b! But Ill miss the R142A on them~

@2n Ave there isnt Any 62s on the (4) as of Feb 2009, they are on the (3). So I dunno why people keep saying there is 62s, unless you have seen one recently, then we talk.. But for now, none~

RFWs are just aesthetic features that some railfans take for granted. They don't enhance the performance of the car that has them. So the point that R142A on the (7) won't be fun because there won't be RFWs is moot.

And yes, as a frequent (4) rider, all of the trains are R142/As. There hasn't been a SINGLE R62/A in service on the (4). A few months ago, there may have been 1 set. But AFAIK, there isn't any more. Trust me on this one.

Point 1: Correct. Other than the new announcements and the strip map and the LEDs, the NTTs are kind of wasted on the Lex. They are not taking advantage of any new signalling technology there. They won't be wasted on the (7) since the cars will be able to take advantage of CBTC AND provide the passengers with automated announcements (which may alleviate the confusion sometimes).

Point 2: Westchester has 460 cars. 409 cars are needed in the supposed "R188" order. If my estimates are correct, the (6) MAY be able to retain some of its R142As, but very few.

Mark, who has been telling you that the R142A/S fleets are switching yards witht the 7's R62As very soon? That wouldn't be done until at least 2016 since the R179s aren't coming until 2013-2015.

Well Ive been reading these topics and I thought it was changed. Seeing that a T/O here said it will be soon. Forgot who it was..

But if its after R179 like i expected then its fine then..

(Guys i now the (7) line will get CBTC this is to clarify what will happen!!) today this morning when taking the (7) train to school i over heard some T/O's talking about CBTC comming onto the (7) line. and not only did i hear that but i also heard that what will happen is that the R142A's from the (6) line will do a switch with the (7) line.they said they might put a R142A to do testing on the (7) line.but a quick test to see if it will be successful.he didnt say the date,but he did say they will test R142A,i find this weird because back then in 2003 they put a R142/A on the (7) line.he did say that that they will upgrade R142/A's to make them CBTC compatible.and the R62A will be sent to the (6) line. he also said the (6) line is the choice because the R62A's on the (7) line have < > and ( ) changeable LED leights. now the reason i posted this is because many of you guys say that the R188 will be a new IRT subway car comming for the (7) line. the T/O DID not mention any thing about new IRT subway cars,or even new subway cars for the IRT to be delievried. sorry for this useless post but this is to clarify you guys about the (7) line getting CBTC will only do a switch with the (6) line. nothing else about new subway cars
Everything this T/O said is in line with what was supposed to happen in the R188 order. The only thing he left out is that a few new R188 cars will be ordered to make the 10-car R142As into 11-car sets of R188s (CBTC R142As).

R62A's back to the (6)/<6>. An average rider might not even notice the difference between the 62A and 142A. The (7) would look funny with NTT. Aleast the (5) stays NTT, a line which i grew up on and miss riding it daily. I think the MTA should have bought the R142s with CBTC just incase something like this came up like it did now.

I'm pretty sure the average rider would notice. R142A to R62A is a pretty noticable difference. I remember once back two years ago I took an R62 (4) to school running on the (6). No one was complaining, but people were like "oh, it's an old train this time".

I'm already used to seeing the 142's on the Lex. If they go back to running 62A's on the (6), it would be a huge downgrade to those who take it everyday. As for the (7), the TA should have thought about running NTT on the Flushing line when the 142's were being ordered.
They did, but the test on the (7) failed. Otherwise, IINM, the (7) would have gotten them first (or at least a priority).

Well I would have to agree with 33rd, Lex is completly NTT and has been since 2003. Why does the (MTA) have to pick now to switch cars for no reason, only for CBTC? That can wait a while. Think about all the riders who rely on NTT, those who are disabled, death, blind, who use the (6) now they get R62As again?~````````

The (MTA) should of gone NTT on the (7) since the R142A were in order.. Now they cant get the Suppliments on the (4), geez =/..

To bad the R62A cant run under CBTC..

LOL DEATH?!?! DEAD PEOPLE RELY ON THE LEX? LOL!

Anyway, the only real plans for CBTC on the (7) are coming about now. Back when they were ordered, CBTC wasn't even on the (L). And CBTC isn't just "no reason". It's a pretty big deal since this is a big step before putting it on other lines like the (E)(F). And people don't RELY on the new cars, the older R62As are just fine as is.

You must be new. I had posted to the others, there are absolutely no more R62's on the (4) line. I work the east side most of the time, and those two that were there, went to the (3), while the two Bombardier R62A's that were on the (3), 1 went to the (1), and 1 to (7) lines. The only R62A's that are at Mosholu yard, are for the shuttle. They are two 5 car units........

East side is 100% NTT trains now.........

The (S) doesn't run 5-car trains...

Thanks for commenting although im still stuck. If the R142/As will become R188 after R179 which CBTC will begin, why does the R142 have to switch now from the (6) to (7) if the R179s wont be placed until R160s are finish which wont be till 2010 or 2011?
This won't happen very soon. It will probably happen late 2009-early 2010, when the R160 order is done. The R179 order will probably take a year if it's only 200 or so cars, maybe a little more.

BTW, this is to everyone...I don't understand AT ALL how NTTs would be a waste on the (7). This is the INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS we are talking about. Many more immigrants ride the (7) than the (6) (ever notice all those Zoni ads on the R62As...?). I'm pretty sure the automated announcements will be more useful to the immigrants, as well as the doors that will close no matter what (local recycle) to combat door closing. Not to mention wider doors...

Mark, who has been telling you that the R142A/S fleets are switching yards witht the 7's R62As very soon? That wouldn't be done until at least 2016 since the R179s aren't coming until 2013-2015.
Kawasaki can build the R179 (if that doesn't go to Alstom, I think in the capital plan it says Kawasaki) and the R188 at the same time, no problem. Especially since the R179 isn't a big order - and the R188 only calls for 50 or so new cars (188 max if what the T/O says is true).

LOL DEATH?!?! DEAD PEOPLE RELY ON THE LEX? LOL!

Anyway, the only real plans for CBTC on the (7) are coming about now. Back when they were ordered, CBTC wasn't even on the (L). And CBTC isn't just "no reason". It's a pretty big deal since this is a big step before putting it on other lines like the (E)(F). And people don't RELY on the new cars, the older R62As are just fine as is.

LOL I didnt MEAN "Dead" people, ever heard of "Death" = Hearing impaired, people who cant hear, and read the LEDs above or strip maps lol. If it were a dead person, why ride the train if u can fly to your place ;)

But anyways I'm glade it isnt gonna happen so soon, meaning the R142As heading to the (7) so fast..

Is it possiable to use R62As for CBTC? Or they rely on the computers in the NTTs?

LOL I didnt MEAN "Dead" people, ever heard of "Death" = Hearing impaired, people who cant hear, and read the LEDs above or strip maps lol. If it were a dead person, why ride the train if u can fly to your place ;)

But anyways I'm glade it isnt gonna happen so soon, meaning the R142As heading to the (7) so fast..

Is it possiable to use R62As for CBTC? Or they rely on the computers in the NTTs?

R142As are newer and have more life left in them so they will be used for CBTC.

And LOL I think you mean "deaf"...

R160B, are you serious about Kawasaki? If it wasn't for the crisis right now, the MTA would never go for Kawasaki b/c their stuff like the Shinkansen fleets have a life expectancy of only 20 years. I wished that Siemens Velaro would build them.

R160B, are you serious about Kawasaki? If it wasn't for the crisis right now, the MTA would never go for Kawasaki b/c their stuff like the Shinkansen fleets have a life expectancy of only 20 years. I wished that Siemens Velaro would build them.
The R62s are coming along fine and have a lot of life left in them. The R142As structurally are doing very well too, and decent mechanically, with no signs of declining in the near future. The R188 contract is for whoever built the R142/A fleet. If they wanted to modify R142s (most likely to certainly not), then Bombardier would have done it.

the only thing that i say that need to be done

R62A need to be rebuilded.

ah geez, have you ever been on a R62/A? They are fine, I dont see any problem with them, they were build around 23yrs ago 1984-1987 around.

There isnt any more GOH(General OverHaul) btw at this time, GOH was meant to rebuild the old cars, R26*, R28*, R29*, R32, R33*, R36*, R40, R42, R44 and R46. And Minor to a few others, such as R10, R17 and R30. Now the (MTA) is doing SMS= Schedule Maintenance Service, which they repaint car ends, replace HVAC and other things. So far the R46 is under SMS, once its done the R62 and R62As will get it. (So far im noticing some R62As on the (1) getting paint jobs)

So the R62s are fine, rebuilding cost money and is a waste, unless its needed, which is not...

Now if you mean turn R62As into NTTs, I dont think thats possible!

*These became redbird cars~

lets take a step back and clarify a few points:

if all options are taken, then the R188 will be a fleet of 506 cars (46 eleven car sets), broken down like this:

186 new cars, 131 converted R142A sets compatible with CBTC, 189 R142A conversion kits for onsite conversion by MTA.

Given this number, it can be deduced that 230 of these cars will be arranged in 5 car sets while the remaining 276 cars will be arranged in 6 car sets. In addition, 184 cars will be A cars (cab cars), with the remaining 322 cars as B cars (non-cab cars).

A typical train consist would look like this:

+A-B-B-B-A+A-B-B-B-B-A+

With the dashes signifying link bars and the addition sign representing couplers.

Now if you mean turn R62As into NTTs, I dont think thats possible!

it's not, in a previous thread, it was made clear that if the signalling system in the R62A is converted for CBTC compatability, it will void Bombardier's car warranty, something that i believe the MTA does not wish to do at this point.

ah geez, have you ever been on a R62/A? They are fine, I dont see any problem with them, they were build around 23yrs ago 1984-1987 around.

R62As are fine but those R62 are jacked up! Nearly every train set on the (3) line has a dead motor, not to mention the screeching brakes and bucking. When they was on the (4) line back in the day they were in great condtiton, ever since the TA moved those cars to the (3) they went downhill.

At present IIRC there is no IRT line or yard that handles 586 cars. The (2) and (5) together have approximately 650 cars and all are not used even at peak rush hour service. My question to all of you is where would all of these new and conversion cars be used or stored ? Not Corona or the (7) line b/c they only had about 400 cars when they ran maximum service back in the day (1985).

Since when is every car on a line stored in its yard at once? That is my question.

the only thing that i say that need to be done

R62A need to be rebuilded.

Why do R62As need to be rebuild? They are fine they way they are. Again, the only reason NTTs are going to the (7) is due to CBTC. I'm not saying R62As are bad on the (7), however, face this. If the (7) remains R62A after CBTC installation, would R62As be able to take advantage of this technology? You want a rebuild, fine. Let's rebuild the cars so that they could take advantage of CBTC. That will be more expensive than converting R142As to CBTC-ready. Plus, you may never know if it works or not on a converted R62A.

I have a strong sense that this will end up like the R188 thread a while ago.

lets take a step back and clarify a few points:

if all options are taken, then the R188 will be a fleet of 506 cars (46 eleven car sets), broken down like this:

186 new cars, 131 converted R142A sets compatible with CBTC, 189 R142A conversion kits for onsite conversion by MTA.

Given this number, it can be deduced that 230 of these cars will be arranged in 5 car sets while the remaining 276 cars will be arranged in 6 car sets. In addition, 184 cars will be A cars (cab cars), with the remaining 322 cars as B cars (non-cab cars).

A typical train consist would look like this:

+A-B-B-B-A+A-B-B-B-B-A+

With the dashes signifying link bars and the addition sign representing couplers.

Interesting, however according to the information I was previously given, the order is 409 cars.

well from what i know T/O's are not really sure about when the next cars will arrive when i first became a T/O i didnt know about he R142s until they were put into testing on the 2 train.the R142/R142A trains were put where they are now for a reason. the lex line is one of the most used line in the system and the cars there previously were old,numerous break downs and the capacity of those trains were less than The R142 Trains.the lex line had dibs on those trains prior to delivery To Retire The redbirds and therason the 2 train has the NTT cars because its fleet was only redbird..but to rap this up T/Os will only go by what they think is going to happen the 7 line will probaly get the R188 trains if there is plans for an R188 train the R188 might be the updated ersion of the R142A/S but from experience i dont think the R142As will ever see service on the 7 train any time soon..and they wont convert R62s t the 6 train because that defeats the purpose of putting the NTT on the 6 train in the first place

I have a strong sense that this will end up like the R188 thread a while ago.

I was thinking the same thing.

the MTA would never go for Kawasaki b/c their stuff like the Shinkansen fleets have a life expectancy of only 20 years. I wished that Siemens Velaro would build them.

Are you serious? I'm sure you've ridden a R68A. They are in excellent condition. So are the R160B's and R62's.

Archived